Recount

• Series Premiere Date: May 25, 2008
6.8

1. JudyT.
    May 30, 2008
    Very well done. Great acting, great dialog and really informative for anyone who thinks they know what went on. Really showed the travesty of democracy that was the 2000 election.
  2. BobC.
    Jun 11, 2008
    If this movie isn't at least a 9, I don't know what is. What a professional reenactment of a chilling, stupid, funny, serious and scary incident. G. W. was crowned and the world knows how THAT panned out. Great cast, great direction, great script.
  3. MarvinH.
    May 26, 2008
    Thought the movie was well to the point and frustrations that the American people endured during that time, Looking at the times that we are having today only makes you wish that the movie could have had an alternate ending that could have came to pass.
  4. GeraldF.
    May 27, 2008
    Great marriage of character and narrative. An interesting study in egos at the highest level, and the remarkable moments when the actual human beings break through. Great ensemble cast, with Dern and Wilkinson standing out. It really gives you a sense of how insane you would have to be to want to swim in those waters on a regular basis and how the politica machine itself irrevocabley Great marriage of character and narrative. An interesting study in egos at the highest level, and the remarkable moments when the actual human beings break through. Great ensemble cast, with Dern and Wilkinson standing out. It really gives you a sense of how insane you would have to be to want to swim in those waters on a regular basis and how the politica machine itself irrevocabley changes your moral compass. Expand
  5. ElliottM.
    Jun 1, 2008
    Annoying acted and very poorly written. I'm as irked as the next person about the 2000 election debacle, but this is pathetic.
  6. Chrisinflorida
    May 25, 2008
    excellent. Especially Dern who gets Harris down perfectly.
  7. WilliamB.
    May 26, 2008
    This was gripping and outstanding from start to finish. No matter your political affiliations (or afflictions) this was a spot-on docudrama, and much better than anything I've seen in a theatre in many months.
  8. TimC.
    May 26, 2008
    Great drama, made recent history come alive and worked as an entertaining political drama better than I thought it could....Cast is great, Wilkinson stood out to me.
  9. NikitaG.
    May 26, 2008
    A true and disgusting story that was beautifully told! Great acting. Surprisingly decent accuracy. Every American should see this film, especially those who were confused by the B.S. "politician" jumbo that was spewed at the time of the events. Kudos!!!
  10. TrxtrKin
    May 28, 2008
    I thought it was a very entertaining look at the recount of 2000. I am sure it will be seen as just another liberal offering but then everything but FOX is these days. Unfortunately, people won't watch the movie and make their own judgements.
  11. Ron
    May 28, 2008
    I give it high marks for entertainment, like a political Indiana Jones. But I give it low marks for not being much more accurate than Indiana Jones. Portrayal of Harris was just cartoonish.
  12. MelissaD.
    May 30, 2008
    My husband and I have watched this over and over again. We truly enjoy it, and love knowing a little more about what went on.
  13. TroyK.
    May 30, 2008
    This was awful from the start. This could've been really, really good...but it fell really, really flat. It was more of another left wing spin film that didn't even attempt to capture the essence nor complexity of the situation. It was disappointing, but reminds me of why I shouldn't support HBO with my monthly fees.
  14. PeterA.
    May 25, 2008
    I've seen the film, and I was surprised how it challenged my (Democratic) preconceptions. Although it was a tough legal battle, I wasn't able to put my finger on anything that the Republicans did that was so terribly wrong in this "street fight for the presidency." (The only exception was the purging of the voting rolls, something that happened long before the story began.) What I've seen the film, and I was surprised how it challenged my (Democratic) preconceptions. Although it was a tough legal battle, I wasn't able to put my finger on anything that the Republicans did that was so terribly wrong in this "street fight for the presidency." (The only exception was the purging of the voting rolls, something that happened long before the story began.) What "docudrama" can ever be the final word on any moment of history? It can't. But the drama can provoke us into examining the facts -- and our prejudices. Expand

1. At one point, before a press conference, Dern morphs her face from that of a human being into Harris' crazy-cuckoo public mask, and the moment is absolutely chilling. Fair? Debatable, but like Recount, it's a gorgeous bit of political theater.
  2. Sure enough, HBO's "Recount" is replete with inside politics. But it also has well-written characters, first-class acting and confident directing, which produces a level of tension and suspense you wouldn’t expect in a story about a widely reported recent event.
    Written with an eye for telling detail by Danny Strong, and directed in surprisingly nimble fashion by blockbuster-comedy wrangler Jay Roach (of the Austin Powers movies and Meet the Parents fame), it has the peculiarly alchemic structure of a nail-biting tragi-farce.