Rectify : Season 2

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
9.0

1. Oct 5, 2014
    I have to say that I find it absolutely disgraceful that there are no reviews from The New York Times, The Washington Post, or The New Yorker. "Rectify" would seem to me the kind of program that critics from those publications would love. This series is one of the very best American dramas of all time---and also one of the most unappreciated. What a pity.
  2. Apr 15, 2015
    There is a humanity to this series that is both compelling and revelatory. Rarely does one come across a television series that delves into the human condition as beautifully and tenderly as Rectify does. I have completely fallen into the stunning character development, eagerly anticipating how each episode will provide me with another layer to peel back and analyze. The writing isThere is a humanity to this series that is both compelling and revelatory. Rarely does one come across a television series that delves into the human condition as beautifully and tenderly as Rectify does. I have completely fallen into the stunning character development, eagerly anticipating how each episode will provide me with another layer to peel back and analyze. The writing is incredible. The acting is as good as it gets. There is absolutely no filler in each sentence that is spoken. I'm utterly hooked. Simply stunning. An absolute equal in quality with the Wire, Sopranos and Breaking Bad. Expand
  3. Nov 27, 2016
    This season is even better than the first and expands on all of the characters while continuing the mystery of whether Danial did in fact rape and murder Hanna.
  4. Jun 24, 2014
    Now, I remember how amazing this is. It's completely mesmerizing. And I also remember that time spent with this series is too short no matter how many episodes. After an hour is over, it leaves you with an ache, the kind you get after having the best conversation with a friend on Skype and suddenly losing internet connection, having to wait an entire week to talk again.
  5. Jun 27, 2014
    Sadly underappreciated show. This new season of Rectify starts strong as I hoped it would be. Even though Daniel is not quite present in the first 2 episodes, other characters such as Tawney, Amantha, Janet and Teddy takes center stage and everyone gets to shine. How many dramas are able to do this? to alienate its central character for a few episodes and remain utterly brilliant? RectifySadly underappreciated show. This new season of Rectify starts strong as I hoped it would be. Even though Daniel is not quite present in the first 2 episodes, other characters such as Tawney, Amantha, Janet and Teddy takes center stage and everyone gets to shine. How many dramas are able to do this? to alienate its central character for a few episodes and remain utterly brilliant? Rectify is unique. Give this show a try and I'm sure you'll not be disappointed. Loved it so far. Expand
  6. Jun 22, 2014
    The new season has started so compelling and beautiful that it's hard to describe.
    It's nothing like anything we've seen this year on TV.
    Everything remains there yet everything feels reluctantly willing to change. Every scene is full of poetry and sadness, redemption and pity, patience and shame. This is going to be a blast.
  7. Sep 10, 2014
    This is pretty amazing. It's sad that we're so conditioned to violence and shock that it comes as such a surprise to change gears and watch a show like this where the actors actually ... ACT. Wow, right? Okay, I'm not on board with all the 10s, the Daniel in a coma dream sequences were getting a tad annoying. But that aside, and a few other nits, the show is generally incredibly moving andThis is pretty amazing. It's sad that we're so conditioned to violence and shock that it comes as such a surprise to change gears and watch a show like this where the actors actually ... ACT. Wow, right? Okay, I'm not on board with all the 10s, the Daniel in a coma dream sequences were getting a tad annoying. But that aside, and a few other nits, the show is generally incredibly moving and thought provoking, in such a sublime, subtle fashion, I love it. ... Okay, supplement, as we got deeper into season 2, the show, while still well-acted and compelling, definitely started to run out of gas seem to lack new ideas. I started feeling like, wait, what's the point, other than the acting itself? This might have been perfect as a fully-contained one season mini-series project. Expand
  8. Aug 31, 2014
    There is not a bad actor in the show. Even the actors you dislike as people, you appreciate as characters. Nothing is simple, nothing is easy. There is not quick and easy moral compass. THIS IS NOT SHOW TO WATCH while cooking dinner. Its drama - you must sit, watch and pay attention. The dialogue is elegant - and the silences and body motions are just as elegant. Compared to all theThere is not a bad actor in the show. Even the actors you dislike as people, you appreciate as characters. Nothing is simple, nothing is easy. There is not quick and easy moral compass. THIS IS NOT SHOW TO WATCH while cooking dinner. Its drama - you must sit, watch and pay attention. The dialogue is elegant - and the silences and body motions are just as elegant. Compared to all the god awful formula cops and robbers TV shows, this drama has not trite formula - nor does life. Count me impressed. Expand
  9. Jul 21, 2014
    Continued Masterpiece. That is all you need to know. If you loved Six Feet Under there is gold for you here yet by no means in a copycat fashion. Best show on TV in the best of the best ranks with True Detective. Season 2 is every bit as strong as S1. Tissues should be kept on hand while viewing this show. So many authentic moments. I hope this show is around for at least three moreContinued Masterpiece. That is all you need to know. If you loved Six Feet Under there is gold for you here yet by no means in a copycat fashion. Best show on TV in the best of the best ranks with True Detective. Season 2 is every bit as strong as S1. Tissues should be kept on hand while viewing this show. So many authentic moments. I hope this show is around for at least three more seasons, but I also hope that the writers know when to stop it without destroying it even if that means less than five to seven seasons. Expand
  10. Jun 28, 2014
    Sublime. 100. If brilliant television is what you seek out, then look no more Rectify encompasses it all: the good, the bad, and the ugly! You take this show with you long after you've seen it because the premise demands sublimely, among many questions: What would you do?
  11. Jun 26, 2014
    great acting great writing love this show - really fantastic.... the story lines are unexpected.. and quite dark - really powerful stuff. Highly recommend
  12. Jun 30, 2014
    This is the best show on TV right now and one of my favorite of all time. Although the entire cast is amazing, the scenes with actors Johnny Ray Gill and Aden Young are some of the most moving and emotionally powerful I've ever seen. It's ridiculous how good they are. Based on his acting on this show, Johnny Ray Gill is one of the best actors of his generation. And Ray McKinnon isThis is the best show on TV right now and one of my favorite of all time. Although the entire cast is amazing, the scenes with actors Johnny Ray Gill and Aden Young are some of the most moving and emotionally powerful I've ever seen. It's ridiculous how good they are. Based on his acting on this show, Johnny Ray Gill is one of the best actors of his generation. And Ray McKinnon is definitely bonafide. Expand
  13. Jul 2, 2014
    Great casting production and costume design highlight this well told story. His innocence, or lack thereof, is just the beginning of the depth of this passionate story.
  14. Jul 6, 2014
    Brilliant. This show infuses everyday life with a real issue. Things that no one wants to talk about...underlying events that are present in many communities in America. Lower key drama about an explosive topic. Good job!
  15. Jul 28, 2014
    I started watching this series after seeing the reviews on this site. I saw Abigail Spencer on the suits and instantly became her fan. I love all the characters in this series and understand how they feel individually. That's because of the good writing. You won't waste your time watching this show.
  16. Jul 23, 2015
    The first episode of the first season was one of the best I've ever seen. Truly magnificent. A hard act to follow but they do try in uber low key mode. Focus is on details, which may be integral or just superfluous. We'll find out at some stage.
    This type of TV requires a little bit of effort from the viewer. It does meander and can seem slow paced at times but the threads come together. There is a mystery here and the makers know we won't leave until its resolved. In the meantime they bring us on character exploration and an insight to the modern family.
  17. Aug 29, 2014
    You may like or dislike this somber kind of drama, but the show offers an intelligent and nuanced narrative, with a plot that advances so inextricably bound to the vulnerability of the lead character that it takes "caring about what happens" to the protagonist to a new level: it actually requires a kind of courage from the viewer to watch each following episode. Yet the fugue-like seasonYou may like or dislike this somber kind of drama, but the show offers an intelligent and nuanced narrative, with a plot that advances so inextricably bound to the vulnerability of the lead character that it takes "caring about what happens" to the protagonist to a new level: it actually requires a kind of courage from the viewer to watch each following episode. Yet the fugue-like season finale ends on an unresolved note, neither bitter nor sweet. Daniel Holden's enigmatic personality remains half in shadow, and the consequences of his decisions are not altogether clear. Expand
  18. Aug 29, 2014
    I was hooked episode one and it's continued throughout the series. There's only ONE downside to this series as it's brilliantly written, cast, and the cinematography is movie quality... it's that there's only 6 episodes per season. The season runs June, July and first couple of weeks in August. It's painful to wait all year, and even more painful when it ends. If you haven't seen RectifyI was hooked episode one and it's continued throughout the series. There's only ONE downside to this series as it's brilliantly written, cast, and the cinematography is movie quality... it's that there's only 6 episodes per season. The season runs June, July and first couple of weeks in August. It's painful to wait all year, and even more painful when it ends. If you haven't seen Rectify YOU NEED TO!!! Smart, intelligent, witty, and an emotional ride that keeps you engaged the entire hour! Expand
  19. Aug 29, 2014
    Love the show and look forward to the next season. I'm hooked on the characters and the whole aspect of the show. It's well written and the acting is superb. I have empathy for Daniel and the entire family. That's what I look for in a drama. I hope it's around for awhile. Television of this caliber is rare.
  20. Aug 29, 2014
    I love how this show goes in such unexpected directions and how each scene and every character is dealt with so much subtlety. The writing is superb, the storytelling is as life: things unfold slowly, people are complex, their past experiences color their current behavior, there are many secrets in every person's life. The story and characters can be understood universally . But, in myI love how this show goes in such unexpected directions and how each scene and every character is dealt with so much subtlety. The writing is superb, the storytelling is as life: things unfold slowly, people are complex, their past experiences color their current behavior, there are many secrets in every person's life. The story and characters can be understood universally . But, in my opinion, this is the most accurate representation of Southerners that I have seen since To Kill a Mockingbird. Expand
  21. Aug 29, 2014
    Emotionally charged, gripping, and powerful, Season 2 doesn't miss a beat. It delves deeper into Daniel's fractured psyche, and gives the rest of the characters interesting storylines of their own. This is the best show on TV, bar none. It's drama on another level -- quiet, introspective, where good and evil are shades of grey.
  22. Aug 29, 2014
    One of its kind, this show is just mesmerizing. I suffer when Daniel suffers, I laugh when Daniel laughs. this kind of connection with the audience is simply perfect. It deserves more than a 10.
  23. Aug 29, 2014
    You are drawn in from the very first moment and you don't want to leave. Cinematography is pure artwork and the acting is the best on television. Characters with depth that you really care about. I love this show.
  24. Aug 30, 2014
    It's one of the finest works of literature produced in any medium. Elegaic, philosophical, heartbreakingly beautiful. Abigail Spencer and Aden Young give absolutely revelatory performances, but really the entire cast is wonderful. I've watched both seasons twice and anticipate watching them again.
  25. Aug 30, 2014
    It's hard to put into words what you feel when you watch this series. I love the pace of it and how actors and director manage to make us viewers actually go through how the characters may feel.
  26. Aug 31, 2014
    The second season of Rectify, continues this story about Daniel, a man not exonerated, but provisionally let off death row when DNA reveals he may not be guilty of the crime. The story depicts something I have never seen explored in film, the profound difficulty of returning to the "free" world after prolonged incarceration, the difficulty for the one released, and the ripple effect onThe second season of Rectify, continues this story about Daniel, a man not exonerated, but provisionally let off death row when DNA reveals he may not be guilty of the crime. The story depicts something I have never seen explored in film, the profound difficulty of returning to the "free" world after prolonged incarceration, the difficulty for the one released, and the ripple effect on his family, and the town in which the crime he went away for was committed and where he is largely believed to be guilty. Rectify depicts this event with a depth, complexity, and care for minute moments that I have never seen before.

Rectify is a sublime exploration of the meaning of freedom, guilt, innocence, and yet it remains rooted in exquisitely described reality. Each character is slowly revealed to be more and different than what we first assume. And, by season two, tho very little time has passed since Daniel's release, his presence has changed everyone who comes into contact with him.

It's absolutely riveting, mesmerizing, and so moving that you may find it lives with you in a way few other films/tv shows do. The writing, acting (even the smallest parts), filming, editing are unmatched. Many emphasize that this is a character-driven program. True, and yet, the who-done-it aspect to the plot is essential as well. As meditative the pace can be, there is incredible suspense. Season two is somewhat darker than season 1 as we slowly learn that feeling anything resembling peace in the outside world is not going to come easily to Daniel. I cannot recommend Rectify enough.
  27. Sep 9, 2014
    I think this show is absolutely amazing. Not just the acting, but also the photography is stunning. Every single shot is framed/composed in a way that can be taken out and already tell an entire story. An then there is the music. Both the music written for the show and the tracks featured in crucial scenes, are just pitch perfect. And then Aden Young, who seems he was born to play thisI think this show is absolutely amazing. Not just the acting, but also the photography is stunning. Every single shot is framed/composed in a way that can be taken out and already tell an entire story. An then there is the music. Both the music written for the show and the tracks featured in crucial scenes, are just pitch perfect. And then Aden Young, who seems he was born to play this role. He just brings Daniel to life.
    The first two episodes of Season 2 felt relatively weaker simply because Daniel wasn't there.
    With Young's fantastic performance (that debrief scene should become a classic!), all the other actors, like musicians, just lift their craft and act flawlessly.
    As for Season 1, watching Season 2 feels like reading a novel, that surely hints at Dostoyevsky's writings. Hats off to Ray McKinnon for making a show on such a difficult story, and thanks to Sundance for supporting Rectify for another season.
  28. Sep 15, 2014
    The first season was great. A new and unique show with interesting characters and a story that hadn't been done before. Season two, however, was incredibly slow and there wasn't much in the way of a plot or coherent story line. It was more like a soap opera than a drama series with almost every scene trying for an oscar worthy speech which came off as pretentious, and more than a littleThe first season was great. A new and unique show with interesting characters and a story that hadn't been done before. Season two, however, was incredibly slow and there wasn't much in the way of a plot or coherent story line. It was more like a soap opera than a drama series with almost every scene trying for an oscar worthy speech which came off as pretentious, and more than a little boring. Hint to writers: Not every scene has to be some profound revelation of feelings and emotions, sometimes they should just be entertaining while remaining relevant to the plot. But you'll need a plot. A central plot, not the hodgepodge of several subplots that don't amount to anything. Expand
  29. Oct 24, 2014
    Beautifully filmed, wonderfully scripted, with an amazing soundtrack. Best and most underrated show and cast on television. The acting on Rectify is absolutely phenomenal.

1. Reviewed by: Jason Lynch
    Jul 9, 2014
    Much like with Louie, we’re in uncharted territory with Rectify. Each episode offers up wondrous new surprises, whether it’s a dream sequence, a stunning revelation from a new character, or a sly moment of levity from an unexpected source.
  2. Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Jun 20, 2014
    It's hard not to be moved by Rectify's unique approach to a redemption story, with an aching tenderness cloaked in a suffocating sadness.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    Jun 19, 2014
    While Rectify may rightly be called a drama, it doesn’t feel like any other.