Season #: 1, 2, 3
8.7

1. May 22, 2013
    You know that scene in ‘Shawshank Redemption’ when Andy Dufresne finally escapes from prison, he rips his shirt open and feels the rain on his face, Frank Darabont managed to convey in those 30 seconds what this show does in 6 episodes, and that was 19 years ago (the film i.e).
    Rectify is about a man rejoning society after 19 years of incarceration, he went to prison probably around the time Shawshank Redemption was released. I do believe our Hero saw this film because he obviously knows how to look like a man wrongfully incarcerated. Here’s what happens during the course of the first season. The male lead walks on grass, then walks bare foot on a patch of grass, views a Sunset and a Sunrise and has about 700 shots of sunlight falling on his face. Yes Mr.Director, point taken, Freedom is a beautiful thing. That’s it, it has got nothing else to say that hasn’t been said before and by more creative people.
    I believe there’s going be a Season 2. I’m expecting to see the wind blowing through the hair of our Hero and will be mighty disappointed if it’s not there. I’m kidding, no way I’m sitting through 5 more minutes of this.
    The acting is good, the writing is fine too, but here’s the thing, if the only emotion a show can manage to elicit from me is either boredom or indifference, it’s bad in my book.
  2. May 1, 2013
    While I am intrigued by the idea of this, and the social implications of wrongful imprisonment, I side somewhat with "Context" on the idea that this man, who was 18 when he entered prison, (I am 37, so I was right about where Daniel Holden was at 18) is so awestruck by the world surrounding him--like he is on another planet. However, I cut some slack because the first few days of freedomWhile I am intrigued by the idea of this, and the social implications of wrongful imprisonment, I side somewhat with "Context" on the idea that this man, who was 18 when he entered prison, (I am 37, so I was right about where Daniel Holden was at 18) is so awestruck by the world surrounding him--like he is on another planet. However, I cut some slack because the first few days of freedom from an isolated maximum-security prison would be a shock I can't relate to, and it does seem like the first few episodes have progressed only a matter of days, maybe 1 week at most. I have to hope that he will be a little less John Coffey-Green Mile "special" and a little more real. He's weird. At least people on the show have acknowledged that...maybe we will see more "weird" from his youth in subsequent flash-backs that will help us relate to the strange man we see today. I hope so, I am still drawn to it and want to see more episodes. I want this show and Sundance's first crack at original programming to succeed! Expand
  3. Apr 29, 2013
    Incredibly good in parts, incredibly bad in others.

Daniels intellectual speeches are tremendous. His stocism is even bearable. The shock of coming out of 19 years in solitary is done well However, the prison walls are spotless as are the linens and jumpsuits. The tired cliche of prison rape is used when ex-prisoners know that boredom, basically being locked in a bathroom for 19
    Incredibly good in parts, incredibly bad in others.

However, the prison walls are spotless as are the linens and jumpsuits. The tired cliche of prison rape is used when ex-prisoners know that boredom, basically being locked in a bathroom for 19 years, is the problem. Daniel jumps to re-embrace old cassette tapes and clothes when a real prisoner struggles to catch up with new things asap.

1. Reviewed by: Jace Lacob
    May 30, 2013
    It’s a breathtaking work of immense beauty and a thought-provoking meditation on the nature of crime and punishment, of identity and solitude, of guilt and absolution. It is, quite simply, the best new show of 2013.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    May 3, 2013
    [Rectify] feels damply airless--the tension might be ripped open at any moment by a thunderclap of revelation.... It's a disturbing, impressive performance [from Aden Young as Daniel]. [13 May 2013, p.49]
  3. Reviewed by: Geoff Berkshire
    Apr 25, 2013
    The good news is that this contemplative, utterly engrossing and frequently gorgeous character study achieves and then surpasses both of those goals [justify the network's foray into the field while living up to the Sundance brand] over the course of its initial six episode season.