8.7

1. Apr 29, 2013
    Guess I must be missing something based on the 9s and 10s showing up here. Me? I guess I was a little worn down by "Forrest Gump Leaves Prison." It's not that I'm unsympathetic to a man returning to society after two decades of what we are told is quite likely wrongful incarceration, but it was 20 years, not 200. Aden Young isn't "dazed and confused" as much as "dumb and dumber." My goodness, he was imprisoned in the 1990s, not the 1890s. Things haven't changed that much. Heck, there were even large volume soft drinks back then, but the idea of a 32 oz. cup seems to have confounded him at one point.

But let's get to the characters. Can we get more cliched? I don't think so. The vengeful D.A. cum "Foghorn Leghorn"-type state senator. The equally vengeful and "what's-he-hiding?" current sheriff. The Henry Fonda-esque former sheriff (I think) who is morally conflicted by the fact that science (DNA) says not guilty while most town leaders see the release as BS. Oh, then there's the randy waitress trysting with the state senator, the jealous step-brother, the sympathetic wife of the jealous step-brother (she, of course, is conflicted and finds the newly released "innocent" almost irresistibly sympathetic), the noble sister, the cold mother and, last but certainly not least, the yin/yang inmates conveniently available for contrasting flashbacks. One is a redneck who torments the lead character while the other is open to the idea of reading W. Sumerset Maugham's "Of Human Bondage." Puh-leeze. What a collection of cliches!!

I'm waiting for the scene when the newly freed character stops to take in the true meaning of a summer's shower and spots a small bird ruffling its feathers in the rain. Ah, freedom!

Ah, wake me when it's over.
  2. Jun 29, 2013
    I found the writing in this show to be so astonishingly bad that no amount of acting, camera, design or editing can save it. The conversations are just consistently entirely implausible, and not because this is weird and surreal. It just stinks.
  3. May 11, 2013
    Why do independent filmmakers always thinks the audience is super interested in watching the main characters for minutes in closeup, staring into the distance, doing nothing, and then have the audacity to pretend that this is telling us anything about the complex emotional state of the character?? The premise was enticing and had great promise, I was bored to death by this ordeal of a pilot with stereotypical figures and a director who replaces dialogue with music and expression with meaningless closeup glances. Expand
  4. May 22, 2013
    You know that scene in ‘Shawshank Redemption’ when Andy Dufresne finally escapes from prison, he rips his shirt open and feels the rain on his face, Frank Darabont managed to convey in those 30 seconds what this show does in 6 episodes, and that was 19 years ago (the film i.e).
    Rectify is about a man rejoning society after 19 years of incarceration, he went to prison probably around the
    time Shawshank Redemption was released. I do believe our Hero saw this film because he obviously knows how to look like a man wrongfully incarcerated. Here’s what happens during the course of the first season. The male lead walks on grass, then walks bare foot on a patch of grass, views a Sunset and a Sunrise and has about 700 shots of sunlight falling on his face. Yes Mr.Director, point taken, Freedom is a beautiful thing. That’s it, it has got nothing else to say that hasn’t been said before and by more creative people.
    I believe there’s going be a Season 2. I’m expecting to see the wind blowing through the hair of our Hero and will be mighty disappointed if it’s not there. I’m kidding, no way I’m sitting through 5 more minutes of this.
    The acting is good, the writing is fine too, but here’s the thing, if the only emotion a show can manage to elicit from me is either boredom or indifference, it’s bad in my book.
  5. May 23, 2013
    I am with Context and Charlie Brown. A tiresome look at one man's face. I watched the pilot and then skipped to the finale and didn't miss a thing. No season 2 would be fine with me. Also, people on this site give out 10's too easily.

1. Reviewed by: Jace Lacob
    May 30, 2013
    It’s a breathtaking work of immense beauty and a thought-provoking meditation on the nature of crime and punishment, of identity and solitude, of guilt and absolution. It is, quite simply, the best new show of 2013.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    May 3, 2013
    [Rectify] feels damply airless--the tension might be ripped open at any moment by a thunderclap of revelation.... It's a disturbing, impressive performance [from Aden Young as Daniel]. [13 May 2013, p.49]
  3. Reviewed by: Geoff Berkshire
    Apr 25, 2013
    The good news is that this contemplative, utterly engrossing and frequently gorgeous character study achieves and then surpasses both of those goals [justify the network's foray into the field while living up to the Sundance brand] over the course of its initial six episode season.