• Network: The CW
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 17, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 2
7.9

1. Oct 25, 2013
    Best show on the CW and best new show of the fall. It's getting overlooked because it is pretty much the only thing on the CW that is not based on popular YA books and doesn't have vampires. REIGN is mysterious, thrilling, dramatic, romantic and dark, and it should be at the top of your DVR. The cast is pretty spectacular as well, especially Adalaide Kane as Mary and Megan Follows asBest show on the CW and best new show of the fall. It's getting overlooked because it is pretty much the only thing on the CW that is not based on popular YA books and doesn't have vampires. REIGN is mysterious, thrilling, dramatic, romantic and dark, and it should be at the top of your DVR. The cast is pretty spectacular as well, especially Adalaide Kane as Mary and Megan Follows as Catherine de Medici.

This show is the less R-rated (yet nowhere near PG) version of Game of Thrones, and I haven't seen a network drama go for it as hard as this one. Props to the writing staff and the network for doing something bold and original in the bland world that is broadcast television.
  2. Oct 25, 2013
    A really great show. It has a little bit of all. The costumes are great and the soundtrack is very good. I think is one of the best new series from this season.
  3. Oct 25, 2013
    If this show is a guilty pleasure then I am guilty as charged. No lie, this show ranks up there in brave, bold storytelling with Game of Thrones, Orphan Black, Homeland, etc. If you're not watching this you should be.
  4. Oct 17, 2013
    The critic who gave this show a 10 also rated Vampire Diaries as a zero. It would seem that people can have different tastes in entertainment. I really enjoyed the show and thought it was well acted and interestingly plotted, however I also enjoy the Vampire Diaries. That being said I liked the Tudors, Game of Thrones and Gossip Girl. It is possible for us silly woman of American to likeThe critic who gave this show a 10 also rated Vampire Diaries as a zero. It would seem that people can have different tastes in entertainment. I really enjoyed the show and thought it was well acted and interestingly plotted, however I also enjoy the Vampire Diaries. That being said I liked the Tudors, Game of Thrones and Gossip Girl. It is possible for us silly woman of American to like escapist entertainment. It is such a shame that I have to enjoy complete historical accuracy in order to impress all the highbrow critics with my intelligence. Please give this show a try, it is lots of fun and a good guilty pleasure. Expand
  5. Oct 18, 2013
    Average show. Seems to be directed towards the teenage population; shallow and predictable script. The modern pop soundtrack does not go well at all with a show based in the 16th century; completely destroys the "time-travel" vibe that a show of it's nature should give off. Lukewarm performance from Adelaide Kane.
  6. Oct 18, 2013
    The costumes, although beautiful, are really beyond the realm of believability. They could have tried to sex up more period-appropriate attire, but I can get over it. The cast is insanely beautiful to watch, and Megan Follows really shines as Catherine de' Medici. The show is really just entertaining. So far it's not quite as good as the Tudors but I'll keep watching.
  7. Oct 19, 2013
    Reign is pretty good for being a historical drama on a network that does not usually do historical dramas. The plot is wonderfully setup in the first episode, with its hinting at mysterious supernatural creatures and/or events that are to come. The acting is pretty good; I have seen better, but the characters are still a little believable. However, I, being a lover of history (especiallyReign is pretty good for being a historical drama on a network that does not usually do historical dramas. The plot is wonderfully setup in the first episode, with its hinting at mysterious supernatural creatures and/or events that are to come. The acting is pretty good; I have seen better, but the characters are still a little believable. However, I, being a lover of history (especially ancient history and pre-modern times history), am slightly bothered by the few historical inaccuracies other than the ones that are there to make the plot more interesting, which the real story of Mary, Queen of Scots is interesting without any tweaking anyways but I understand the need for CW to make it more interesting for its target audience; but the other inaccuracies take away some of the believability of the show for me. This show is great entertainment though, and the CW does a pretty decent job trying to throw in some accurate historical references and events in a show that is in a completely new genre than any of their other shows. Expand
  8. Oct 25, 2013
    The advertising for this show greatly undersells it. This show is so much more than just another CW teeny-bopper love triangle. It is complex, dark, thrilling and yes, heart-wrenching. Audiences should find this show because it will be a star in the darkness that is a uneventful fall for TV drama. Just make sure to keep this one on the air CW. Not all your shows are made alike, and inThe advertising for this show greatly undersells it. This show is so much more than just another CW teeny-bopper love triangle. It is complex, dark, thrilling and yes, heart-wrenching. Audiences should find this show because it will be a star in the darkness that is a uneventful fall for TV drama. Just make sure to keep this one on the air CW. Not all your shows are made alike, and in this case hopefully the rising tide will lift all ships. Expand
  9. Nov 1, 2013
    I love this show! The actors are very good at portraying people from olden times yet the show feels modern. It is currently my favorite show above PLL and game of thrones, this show is very much worth watching I recommend it more than any other show. I can't wait until Thursday. If this show gets cancelled I will be very unhappy.
  10. Nov 2, 2013
    If you're tired of hate-watching shows on the CW and want something on the network that you can actually enjoy, you have to watch REIGN. It's not just good for the CW's standards, it's good period. Dark with twists and turns, I get the feeling that we are only at the tip of the ice berg.
  11. Nov 4, 2013
    Love this new show. It is not historically accurate however it is a very entertaining fictional period drama with political, romance and supernatural elements.
  12. Nov 30, 2013
    If you are looking for a new show to watch, this is it!
    If you are looking for a new show to watch, this is it!
    Reign is a thrilling TV show that is based on the young (teenage) queen of Scotland's struggle of getting married and forming an alliance between her country and France. (Personally I am not a fan of old timey shows or an historical kind of show, but this show is Fantastic!) Reign is filled with twists (at least 3 an episode,) action, forbidden love, passion (and I mean a ton of this), murder, mystery and has me constantly on the edge of my seat. This show is addictive, one is hooked after only 2 episodes. It is by far the best show I have watched in a while!!!!!!!
    - it is on CW (check their website if you have missed any of their episodes) on Thursday's at 9
  13. Jan 31, 2014
    I love this show so so much! And i´m thinking of it all the time. It´s very romantic and mysterious. The costumes are very beautiful. Mary, Bash and Francis is so pretty
  14. Feb 1, 2014
    I absolutely love this show! The show is one of the best new series on the CW! Its very entertaining and I hope we have plenty more seasons to come!!!
  15. Nov 19, 2013
    So historically inaccurate it might as well take place in a parallel universe.

But, the show can grow on you and become a nice guilty pleasure given a few episodes, and for what it is it does it very well a simple, charming soap opera with pretty, rich people set in the "16th century" and mixed with some fairly entertaining "political" intrigues. Not bad at all.
  16. Oct 26, 2013
    This show isn't bad. it's just not good enough either. They should have introduced more for a pilot. This show is getting cancelled i guarantee it because neither are ratings doing well nor critically
  17. Oct 28, 2013
    Great concept and can go a lot further. Get the future scripts right on this and it will go all the way. Apart from the obvious sexual tension between the lead actors, would like to see some more physical action by the boys and deeper political intrigue among the girls. Lets please see Mary and the French Queen get deeper into an emotional and psychological battle, with Mary maturingGreat concept and can go a lot further. Get the future scripts right on this and it will go all the way. Apart from the obvious sexual tension between the lead actors, would like to see some more physical action by the boys and deeper political intrigue among the girls. Lets please see Mary and the French Queen get deeper into an emotional and psychological battle, with Mary maturing through the experiences. Love the music and reminds me of that great movie A Knights Tale that used modern retro to great efect. David Bowie's Golden Years being used in that partciular period piece was just perfect. Latly, would like to see some humour thrown in every now and then. Nothing adolescent but perhaps a few well placed humerous adult retorts. Get this one right and it will be quite enduring with a huge fan base. Collapse
  18. Nov 13, 2013
    The show follows Mary Queen of Scots as a fifteen-year-old and her engagement to Prince Francis of France. Throw in a ruggedly handsome bastard (in the literal sense) and four entitled ladies in waiting and you have a complicated mess that will keep your eyes peeled for the entire hour.

Reignʻs loose translation of European politics allows for dramatic interpretation, including a few unforeseen scandals. The CW excels at creating riveting dramas and Reign is no exception.
  19. Nov 19, 2013
    Absolutely love this show- the costumes, the drama, the writing, the actors...get ready for some major binge watching if you haven't started yet...it really is Gossip Girl meets Game of Thrones.
  20. Dec 4, 2013
    One of the best tv shows I've ever seen! Super recommended. So mysterious yet sexy at the same time. The soundtrack is amazing, and the cast too. The modern clothes and style makes it a bit more interesting (in MY opinion).
  21. Dec 10, 2013
    I love, love love this programme so much! I hope to god it doesn't get axed 10/10! the acting and story line in amazing and the modern twist, costumes and setting make it more appealing to teens and this generation. I love it the acting is amazing and the cast are so good looking
  22. Dec 11, 2013
    I'm really enjoying this show as a 20-something female I can completely see the appeal, even if aimed at a slightly younger market. Its a great mix of dark and light.
  23. Dec 12, 2013
    I absolutely love this show. The passion between Mary and Francis is extremely captivating; I can't stop watching the show. The cast play their roles magnificently and I love how unique this show is to the CW. This is definitely one of my new favorite shows. Even if the show is in fact targeted at a younger age group such as teenagers, what's wrong with that? I'm really hoping that thisI absolutely love this show. The passion between Mary and Francis is extremely captivating; I can't stop watching the show. The cast play their roles magnificently and I love how unique this show is to the CW. This is definitely one of my new favorite shows. Even if the show is in fact targeted at a younger age group such as teenagers, what's wrong with that? I'm really hoping that this show doesn't get cancelled. It's a great show and needs to be given more credit. Expand
  24. Dec 16, 2013
    This show is great i love it theres no reason to hate on it if you watch the show i mean actually watch it you would like it is really a good show.. you have drama romance action. I mean it has a lot of good scenes that you would love. If you dont like it then you dont have any tast at all..
  25. Dec 16, 2013
    Reign thus far is a superb fictional telling of Mary, Queen of Scots. The storyline leaves you wondering what will happen in the next. The costume designs for this show are excellent and glamorous choices. The set design comes with excellent choices for the artwork as well. The only qualm I have with this show is that it is currently on hiatus.
  26. Jan 11, 2014
    This is movie is completely unrealistic with poor performances and a terrible plot line. The plot twists are cliche and dull, and the characters stupid. This show has constant cringe-worthy moments, not to mention the bad cast and script.
  27. Apr 18, 2014
    First of all, this is not a historical show. It's loosely based on the story of Mary, Queen of the Scots who was engaged since childhood to the future king of France. That said, the first episode is intriguing. The cinematography is beautiful. Costumes and sets are grandiose. I would definitely watch another episode.

My only gripe with the show is the music.. Too much of it, and it's

My only gripe with the show is the music.. Too much of it, and it's just too loud in the mix! I don't mind that it's modern, but sometimes they play songs (with lyrics) on top of dialogues, which can be very distracting.
  28. Oct 18, 2013
    The pilot was surprisingly dark. I guess you can't expect good things to ever happen in a show centralizing on women in the 1500s, but it dealt with a lot of sexual violence and it's a CW show. It surprised me. Aside from that, nothing really happened either. It was pretty boring. Mary, Queen of Scotts had an unfortunate, but interesting life and certainly can make for a TV series, muchThe pilot was surprisingly dark. I guess you can't expect good things to ever happen in a show centralizing on women in the 1500s, but it dealt with a lot of sexual violence and it's a CW show. It surprised me. Aside from that, nothing really happened either. It was pretty boring. Mary, Queen of Scotts had an unfortunate, but interesting life and certainly can make for a TV series, much like the White Queen, but will this show be able to survive its fierce 9:00 competition? I'm not so sure. All that being said, Reign features one of the best looking casts on TV. Expand
  29. Feb 7, 2014
    If you are looking for a review a review for this show, here it is:
    Start watching this show now. Its nice. Some would say its now historically correct but do you really need that to like a TV show? I know i don't. I loved it.
  30. Apr 10, 2014
    Such a fun,well written,well acted , well produced series, it's fr sure one of mine favorites series ever , Adelaide Kane does wonders with her caracther , If u are looking for an amazing show you should watch Reign
  31. Apr 14, 2014
    I love the show , but having the king acting like a loony tunes does nothing positive for the show.
    So, it's a little disappointing in that area. I feel there is a lack of action and suspense should be upped a notch. Otherwise the show is entertaining. Yes, I will continue to watch in the hopes it gets better.
  32. Jun 29, 2014
    I love this show so much ❤️ and I can't wait for season 2. I love all the actors and the storyline also the costumes and set is amazing. I really hope this show has many many seasons to come
  33. Oct 21, 2014
    Painfully bad show. Featuring wooden writing, vapid acting, plagiarism galore and badly chosen music for a period piece. At times it looks and feels more like the Haight-Ashbury in the 60's than France in the 1500's. Compared to the intensity and excellence of Showtime's The Tudors and The Borgias as well as the gorgeous movie Elizabeth, this show is a massive let down. It is nothing butPainfully bad show. Featuring wooden writing, vapid acting, plagiarism galore and badly chosen music for a period piece. At times it looks and feels more like the Haight-Ashbury in the 60's than France in the 1500's. Compared to the intensity and excellence of Showtime's The Tudors and The Borgias as well as the gorgeous movie Elizabeth, this show is a massive let down. It is nothing but a dumbed down version of the above, freely borrowing from their plot lines (poisoned borrowed dress anybody?) as well as pulling a horse-head-in the-bed rip off from the Godfather via a gigantic elks head. Adalaide Kane is not believable at all and sounds like a petulant teenager from this millennium. Her bad acting makes the show practically unwatchable. I think I will head over to Netflix for some Tudors reruns instead. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Vicki Hyman
    Feb 13, 2014
    It is all very campy and salacious (the young ladies are quite overcome after witnessing a bedding, although the resulting masturbation scene was trimmed from the pilot shown to the press), and historical accuracy takes a backseat to hair product and a driving contemporary soundtrack. But the show seems to be a bit aware of its own absurdity, which is more than one can say for some of the dreck the networks have served up so far this season.
  2. Reviewed by: Sarah Rodman
    Oct 17, 2013
    With its grand castle backdrop and sumptuous costumes, Reign looks beautiful, as do all of the people in it. But there needs to be something a little more substantial--be it drama or kitsch--between those walls and seams to make Reign into a show worthy of ascending to the heights of guilty pleasure TV royalty.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Bianco
    Oct 17, 2013
    This is a show, and a network, that doesn't just insult your intelligence; they assume you don't have any.