• Network: ABC
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4
8.3

1. nbc
    Jan 8, 2012
    Revenge is absolutely addicting. The two standout actors of the show are Emily VanCamp as Emily Thorne and Margarita Levieva as Amanda Clark. The perfect word to describe this show? Juicy.
  2. Sep 22, 2011
    It has style, but little depth. It will amuse the average TV viewer. It will also appeal to the Class warfare that the right love to yak about. Watch the "job creators" get whacked, one by one. Hey it's less painful than taxing them.
  3. Feb 20, 2012
    "The Count of Monte Cristo" it ain't, but "Revenge" has its virtues. First, TV hasn't yet exhausted its theme, though AMC's new "Hell on Wheels" and the current season of "Spartacus" also turn on vengeance. Second, "Revenge" plays on our love-hate relationship with great wealth, as characters with vast new fortunes take down characters with vast old fortunes. Third, the show announces a"The Count of Monte Cristo" it ain't, but "Revenge" has its virtues. First, TV hasn't yet exhausted its theme, though AMC's new "Hell on Wheels" and the current season of "Spartacus" also turn on vengeance. Second, "Revenge" plays on our love-hate relationship with great wealth, as characters with vast new fortunes take down characters with vast old fortunes. Third, the show announces a serious moral purpose right up front (Confucius say "dig two graves") then treats it like the surgeon general's warning on a pack of cigarettes. The assurance of righteousness without pesky ethical nuisances! "Hamlet" without soliloquies! So why isn't "Revenge" a 10? First, every character is a caricature. From the dissolute scion to the geeky bazillionaire who can't buy a friend, each is familiar and flat, a chess (make that a checker) piece, not a human being. For another, our avenger has the affect of a tree stump. When she topples a mark--which she does far too easily--she exhibits the satisfaction most people do after successfully boiling water. Yes, I know: she must conceal her smoldering rage, but, even when completely alone, she rarely does more than smirk (for more detail, see lunafromage's excellent description). This is the sort of woman who draws horns, scars, and eye-patches on pictures of her enemies, not the sort who masterminds the fall of giants, even the one-dimensional giants on this show. UPDATE: The first season is almost over, and America loves "Revenge," as witnessed here on Metacritic, where my review was labeled "not helpful" by 6 of 8 users. Woo hoo! Given that the most "helpful" review says, "um . . . like I can't hardly think why, but . . . um . . . like, I really, really l-u-u-u-r-v-e this show," I'm happy to be considered "unhelpful." Anyway, after 14 episodes, the series remains a bit of a head-scratcher. Much has happened in a short time, yet most of the characters seem oddly untouched, as though their souls, like their faces, were subject to regular injections of botox. Despite success beyond the wildest dreams of Edmond Dantès, as well as some shocking collateral damage, our avenger cannot manage to summon an emotion or arrange her features to simulate one. And it's not as though she lacks opportunity. At least five times an episode, she embraces her fiance and the camera zooms in for a close-up of her face. Her head lies against his neck, so he can't see her expression; nor can anyone else, as the couple is alone. Now is the time for Emily-Amanda's mask to slip, just for a moment. Does she loathe the man who holds her so tightly, or is she falling for him despite her carefully-laid plans? Is her vengeance driven by sorrow or rage or perhaps guilt that she, too, believed her father a traitor? Surely, her face will give us a hint. But, no, Emily VanCamp's expression is just mildly puzzled, as though she is wondering whether the groundhog will see its shadow this year or whether to order the low-fat vegetable stroganoff for lunch. The Golden Lab who plays "Sam" has ten times the range of expression, as do one or two other cast members. Madeleine Stowe clearly relishes playing the show's dragon lady and has mastered the menacing purr of the society psychopath. Even she, however, is two-dimensional, so far unconvincing as a woman Emily-Amanda's paragon of a father could have loved. But perhaps she'll get there; the show certainly looks as though it will be around for a long, long time. Expand
  4. Sep 25, 2011
    I was skeptical about the show at first, but after finally giving in and watching the premiere, I was pleasantly surprised. It was well written and thought out and the actors really brought life to the characters.
  5. Sep 29, 2011
    My new guilty pleasure. Emily Van Camp at her finest with a killer script that keeps you on your toes. This is quickly becoming my favorite new fall show.
  6. Jan 19, 2012
    If your mind is on cruise control and you can't venture beyond the schlock that's typically on Fox, ABC, NBC and CBS, this show's for you. The critics are spot on when it comes to Revenge, it deserves a medicore 6.6. The user rating is peculiar, it's definitely not in the same league as the higher metacritic rated shows. This show harkiens me back to shows like Dynasty, Dallas, FlamingoIf your mind is on cruise control and you can't venture beyond the schlock that's typically on Fox, ABC, NBC and CBS, this show's for you. The critics are spot on when it comes to Revenge, it deserves a medicore 6.6. The user rating is peculiar, it's definitely not in the same league as the higher metacritic rated shows. This show harkiens me back to shows like Dynasty, Dallas, Flamingo Road and Falcon's Crest, and I don't mean that in a good way. Expand
  7. Sep 23, 2011
    The story and setup are interesting. The characters bring their emotions front and center. If it continues at this pace, it can be one of those shows that everyone will be talking about. ABC needs to somehow keep this one alive. WHATEVER. IT. TAKES.
  8. Oct 7, 2012
    A show which is full of plot twists, great acting and characters. The brilliant ways on how the protagonist tries to get revenge, also a focus on a range of characters which storyline ties in the plot
  9. Sep 22, 2011
    Best new show of the season! Emily VanCamp and Madeleine Stowe doing a great job! I hope that this will be a hit show. All characters are well written and great story to go on for several seasons.
  10. Sep 26, 2011
    The best new show of the season! (it's absured that my review must be 150 characters when 32 characters says exactly what I want...............................)
  11. Oct 10, 2011
    At first glance, "Revenge" may have seemed to be a simple, frothy work made for a 10 pm time slot. I had definitely planned on checking it out, but I was not expecting to get sucked into all of its intricate plot twists and intertwined character backgrounds. The show is as rich and entertaining as the Hampton elitists portrayed by Revenge's talented cast. Frothy? Yes. But the show hasAt first glance, "Revenge" may have seemed to be a simple, frothy work made for a 10 pm time slot. I had definitely planned on checking it out, but I was not expecting to get sucked into all of its intricate plot twists and intertwined character backgrounds. The show is as rich and entertaining as the Hampton elitists portrayed by Revenge's talented cast. Frothy? Yes. But the show has substance, too; it can be just as deadly serious as it is playfully fun. Each week I await the next new episode, and I can already deem this my favorite new show of the 2011 Fall tv season. Expand
  12. Oct 21, 2012
    If this show can keep new characters coming and have huge plot twist, I think it could go for a long time. Im only half way through the first season and am enjoying the hell out of it.
  13. Sep 22, 2011
    Enjoyed the first episode and will keep watching... Do me a favor ABC, don''t cancel this one early - would like to see the story play out. If this turns out to be a one to two season show, that's fine, so long as you get through the telling....
  14. Sep 24, 2011
    I like it ! its good ! amazing story , Acting and the characters are the best thing in this show ! can go on really long time ! but only Emily VanCamp seems a bit low to me but hope she will catch up !
  15. Oct 12, 2011
    Revenge is a great modern take on a classical tale of court intrigue. Unlike many TV shows revenge does not fall into endless side plots, secondary character back stories, or cheesy romances; Revenge sticks to its title, everything that happens is somehow connected to the intricate conspiracy. The main character of Amanda (a.k.a. "Emily") is a great, complex character. Though her past hasRevenge is a great modern take on a classical tale of court intrigue. Unlike many TV shows revenge does not fall into endless side plots, secondary character back stories, or cheesy romances; Revenge sticks to its title, everything that happens is somehow connected to the intricate conspiracy. The main character of Amanda (a.k.a. "Emily") is a great, complex character. Though her past has been destroyed and she spent many years in psych wards and juvenile detention facilities, she has returned, strong, smart, cunning, and bent on revenge. Unlike a lot of characters seeking revenge she doesn't go straight to violence, but makes complex plans to utterly destroy her targets. She is half super-villain, half Mossad agent. Expand
  16. Oct 20, 2011
    Revenge isn't an original concept (its based on The Count of Monte Cristo) but its a well built little show with a decent premise, a likeable cast that clicks with the audience and a great misunderstood villain in Madeleine Stowe. The only true shame of the show is that Emily Vancamp is so thoroughly boring as Emily Thorne/Amanda Clarke). A great new show, just a shame about the choice of lead.
  17. Sep 22, 2011
    It's certainly promising, but it has too be careful and not take itself too seriously, it's never going to be a great drama, more of a guilty pleasure. I'm not sure how long they'll be able to stretch the storyline out for, what happens when they get up to the engagement party, obviously they will have something planned, but I can't see it lasting more than a season. It has the potentialIt's certainly promising, but it has too be careful and not take itself too seriously, it's never going to be a great drama, more of a guilty pleasure. I'm not sure how long they'll be able to stretch the storyline out for, what happens when they get up to the engagement party, obviously they will have something planned, but I can't see it lasting more than a season. It has the potential to be a very enjoyable season though. Expand
  18. Sep 21, 2011
    i love this show, so creaive, suspensful and emily vancamp is gorgious in her role.the characters are amazing and the story must be saw ! follow Revenge !!!!
  19. Sep 21, 2011
    So far this show seems promising. The dialogue may be a bit corny and forced at times, but the actors have portrayed their characters very well. The scenery and the directing is absolutely gorgeous. If the story can develop well and be interesting, I think this show will be one heck of a ride.
  20. Sep 27, 2011
    One of the best new pilots of the season. Strong story, great acting, a protagonist who you can root for. Loads of drama, plenty of action, well written characters with depth. A mystery that will have you tuning in. This one is a recipe for success. ABC did good work here!
  21. Oct 3, 2011
    One of the few shows that seem very well thought out & written. Sometimes I think shows are planned week to week, but this one feels different & unpredictable. I have no clue how the story line can go past a season or two, but will be pleased to see how everything unfolds. Best show I have seen in a LONG TIME!!
  22. Oct 15, 2011
    Love it! Emily VanCamp is awesome in her role, even though I prefer her in a "lighter" role. The actress really has embraced the more sinister side of her character and I find it believable. I love the intrigue and mystery the show brings and the cast to back that up. I agree with some of the previous reviews that the theme/concept of the show is pretty fresh. I also agree that it is hardLove it! Emily VanCamp is awesome in her role, even though I prefer her in a "lighter" role. The actress really has embraced the more sinister side of her character and I find it believable. I love the intrigue and mystery the show brings and the cast to back that up. I agree with some of the previous reviews that the theme/concept of the show is pretty fresh. I also agree that it is hard to see how this would extend into multiple seasons. Nevertheless, it is here now and I will enjoy it while it is. Truly a good show and cast. Expand
  23. Oct 29, 2011
    The show started out a little bumpy but it has turned into one of the fall's most promising shows. It turned from a guiltu pleasure to plain pleasure.
  24. Nov 11, 2011
    I am Absolutely in Love with this show!! I count the days until the each next episode comes on! The actress who plays Emily is Awesome as is the rest of the cast. I love the plot its drama & even comedy at times. I really hope it gets picked up for a second season althought I'm not sure if Emily will have anyone else to destroy by then.
  25. Nov 15, 2011
    In one word this series is boring. There's a lot of suspense and very little payoff. The main character is so deadpan as to be unbelievable. I suppose she's supposed to come off as calculating... instead she comes off as dull. Someone who's dedicated their life to revenge is passionate. She's about as passionate as a dead fish. Do they really expect us to believe that she charmed Mr.In one word this series is boring. There's a lot of suspense and very little payoff. The main character is so deadpan as to be unbelievable. I suppose she's supposed to come off as calculating... instead she comes off as dull. Someone who's dedicated their life to revenge is passionate. She's about as passionate as a dead fish. Do they really expect us to believe that she charmed Mr. Richy-Rich just by doing that half-hearted squint and closed-mouth thing she calls a smile? She has no personality. The other characters aren't in much better positions. We don't learn much about them before they start going down one by one. Not that the viewer is enticed to care very much. All we get are these half-assed flashbacks that aren't convincing enough to make me hate them. If you want to see revenge drama done right, watch Veronica Mars. Expand
  26. Nov 15, 2011
    Best new show on TV! Every episode gets you more and more intrigued in its characters and in the story. Stowe and VanCamp are amazing! Wends nights do not come fast enough for me. REVENGE!!!!
  27. Nov 15, 2011
    I cannot even begin to describe how good this show is! I reccommend it to everyone, this is the break out series of the year. Revenge is addicting, its good fun, it has great acting and a chilling story! Revenge is best served cold or in this case on ABC Wend at 10!
  28. Nov 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I LOVE this show. Slightly implausible, but it doesn't matter. It's decadent fun: danger, romance & intrigue nestled in a lavish setting surrounded by a gorgeous and skilled acting team. I've adored Ms. VanCamp since the debut of "Everwood" and she gives us an Emily/Amanda that I almost hate to adore and root for, but I do. She has such brilliant subtlety in her delivery...her character is layered deliciously. Ms. Stowe is pure icy perfection. Her (Queen) Victoria's commanding presence could shatter most anything and anyone. NIck Wechsler is so wonderful....strong, gentle, compassionate, warm and to-die-for! Joshua Bowman is a new face to me. He is JFK, Jr. and I feel so badly for him (so far,) in exactly the same way I felt for McDreamy in the film, "Sweet Home, Alabama." If Emily changes her mind and sticks with him, it'll be ok. Daniel is a good guy, all-in-all, it seems...having turned his life around for the time being. Gabriel Mann is a hoot and Connor Paolo is so interesting, different and adorable. I was so thrilled to see Christa B. Allen as part of this cast. Our awkward 13-year-old has blossomed beautifully!! The plot is actually moving faster than I anticipated...I figured it would be a full season before anyone came close to figuring out who Ms. Thorne really is. I eagerly await this show each week and excited to try to figure out where our Hamptonites are headed. I guess I'm also a fan of Mike Kelley. I loved "Swingtown," too and look where that sadly ended up. "Revenge" will be around a lot longer, I hope. I see a lot of employees in that Grayson Industries photo. Expand
  29. Nov 16, 2011
    The best show on tv! Revenge only gets better and better with each episode that airs. Emily VanCamp plays Emily/Amanda with so much depth and Stowe is makes us love to hate Victoria. Revenge is a must watch for any TV fan!
  30. Nov 17, 2011
    Amazing show that just keeps on getting better and better, the acting is good, characters are multi dimensional, writing is clever, direction, cinematagraphy, etc are all top notch.

1. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Dec 8, 2011
    Revenge is too juicy to write off as junk. It's got strong performances, from actors who don't condescend to their flamboyant dialogue.
  2. Reviewed by: Dorothy Rabinowitz
    Oct 14, 2011
    The arrival of one pure and unadulterated drama about a passion as old as man is something to celebrate. That's particularly true when that drama is as spellbinding in its satisfyingly gaudy way, as Revenge turns out to be.
  3. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Sep 22, 2011
    Revenge might sound enjoyably soapy in the abstract, but its execution is problematic.