Revolution : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 17, 2012
Season #: 1, 2
5.8

1. Sep 26, 2012
    So the lights have been out for 15 years.... Amazing how the irons still work as there was not a clothing wrinkle in sight and so must the curling irons! Not to mention that you walk into Chicago and the firs place you visit there's the guy who you're looking for... Wow! Great premise, terrible execution.
  2. Sep 26, 2012
    Halfway through the second episode and I already find myself hoping Charlie is killed off quickly. I would be hard pressed to find a less sympathetic and less organic protagonist in any form of fiction.

The dialogue trots along at a snails pace, as if the show was tailored to 5 year old children with barely a grasp on language. When it doesn't feel forced it becomes predictable and absolutely unnecessary.

The concept, while certainly interesting, is completely lost in the emotional trite and unnecessary scenes. Two episodes in and I'm still not quite sure why I should keep watching. Yes, electricity stopped working, now what? The protagonists do absolutely nothing to move the plot forwards, opting instead to search for an abducted brother, but even that doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Whoever is responsible for this mess of a TV show should be ashamed. The scenery and costumes work very well with the concept and it LOOKS good, but beyond that shimmer of artistic integrity there is nothing which could compel a viewer to watch this.
  3. Sep 26, 2012
    I wanted this show to be good so bad. It's probably the only thing driving me to keep watching it, even if it's too early to tell, there's a slew of problems including the acting, plot holes, character development, and lingering questions/ borrowed motifs. The young female lead falls victim of the same scrutiny of not only her delivery but her character; one action she does completelyI wanted this show to be good so bad. It's probably the only thing driving me to keep watching it, even if it's too early to tell, there's a slew of problems including the acting, plot holes, character development, and lingering questions/ borrowed motifs. The young female lead falls victim of the same scrutiny of not only her delivery but her character; one action she does completely contradicts what she believes in, then yaps and cries about it, suffering from a common case of I-don't-know-what-I-want-syndrome, a common case in other shows (such as Sookie from True Blood).

Meanwhile, the plot tries to present a unique circumstance but still unusually how nothing has really happened until the first episode swings into the present, 15 years after the blackout to be precise. The kids are grown up, and a few important characters coincidentally get killed off. I guess in those 15 years a few private and public groups controlled the world with the next 14 years involved living the Amish life and twiddling their thumbs.

Back to characters: everyone happens to come out a Twilight movie; fit and beautiful, young looking men and women with fresh clothes that accentuate their muscle tone, despite the lack of a shower/shampoo and laundry for how many years. At least costumes could have it a little more authentic instead of part Old Navy model part gunslinger and combat boots (with too many belt buckles than deem necessary).

Overall, a good effort and I'll still watch it in memory of my favorite NBC show, Lost. They can try their best to clone it (several actors/ actresses from Lost, the flashback story telling, the mythos and pathos, the bigger-than-life stakes) but for me I'm not fooled, although I'd like to be. So for that, I must still tread on. What can I say? I'm a sucker.
  4. Sep 25, 2012
    If you don't mind the fact that the whole premise of the show is beyond ridiculous, and you can overlook the bad acting and cliche characters, then you might actually find this show entertaining. The plot has various mysteries to solve, and the sets are kind of cool looking, so that's something. Sword fights! I'm going to file this under "So bad that it's funny". Bonus game: Every timeIf you don't mind the fact that the whole premise of the show is beyond ridiculous, and you can overlook the bad acting and cliche characters, then you might actually find this show entertaining. The plot has various mysteries to solve, and the sets are kind of cool looking, so that's something. Sword fights! I'm going to file this under "So bad that it's funny". Bonus game: Every time something preposterous about electricity occurs, take a drink! (Warning: May lead to extreme drunkenness.) Expand
  5. Sep 22, 2012
    A show set in an apocalyptic world sure seems pretty innocent and clean to me. The only people who look like they actually fought to survive the anarchy and chaos that inevitably ensued are the "bad" guys. If something like that actually happened you would not survive without having to do some horrible things. But this show pretends everyone is living peacefully and there are stillA show set in an apocalyptic world sure seems pretty innocent and clean to me. The only people who look like they actually fought to survive the anarchy and chaos that inevitably ensued are the "bad" guys. If something like that actually happened you would not survive without having to do some horrible things. But this show pretends everyone is living peacefully and there are still ignorance about what is going on. Also the main characters are always clean with fancy clothes. Strange. And the two younger male actors are terrible. You can tell the minute they come on screen because they have skin tight t-shirts and somehow look even cleaner than the rest. I don't get why they cast people like that when they can clearly not act. Expand
  6. Sep 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This show is something special. You got a post-apocalyptic scenario revolving around "physics going insane" which is already a auspicious start to something terrible. Now we know that the main character's family knows about this "event" possibility yet they are completely unprepared for it other than a magic USB key and a box of food and filling their tubs with water. It doesn't take a genius to prepare for something so big you know is coming.

They then time skip an arbitrary 15 years into the future where apparently plants suddenly grew at an insanely fast rate and over grew every city in the world. Not to mention they claim engines, jet turbines, batteries, etc... stopped working forever. Hold that thought because a lot of engines work without electronics and I saw candles, fire, and gunpowder so why can't you burn said things inside a cylinder. Apparently because "physics" went insane.

Then they contradict themselves in the trailer with a computer clearly being powered by the magic USB key and a bunch of batteries? Not to mention they don't even bother plugging wires into the computer so the old school keyboard is apparently wireless, also the monitor as well, and modem. Wait modem how does that even work if power doesn't work. Phones still have power???

Then onto the selection of weapons we got everything from 1800 to pre-modern weaponry which is strange because in 15 years all modern firearms apparently became so rare no one has many of them even though there are millions of them in the states alone and billions of bullets to use. Finally if physics went insane then why is life not affected by it. Physics applies to everything without regard for if it is human technology. A battery is a chemical reaction that is used in your brain, in the ocean, in rusting, etc...

Electricity is so fundamental as well and you can make a generator with a magnet and a coil of wire. Sci-fi usually adds things to the universe Revolution tries to take everything away but not really which makes it sound quite insane.

The simple conclusion is the premise is highly contrived and is trying to sound realistic and gritty while failing to achieve the effect believable. I'm pretty sure a Google engineer would not have classes about the world starting and ending with everything went insane isn't it interesting? (Children, or viewers because I doubt the children care about a non-explanation)

That is also ignoring the stilted dialog and strange actions/logic of the characters.
  7. OMM
    Sep 20, 2012
    Revolution had promise until the first show aired. After which it was an hour of sloppy writing, poor acting, and just overall uninteresting. But then again its' on NBC, so if was my fault for expecting a good show.
  8. Sep 20, 2012
    Unfortunately, I think that this series will suffer the fate of Alcatraz and Terra Nova. Plot was interesting when did not show the first episode. I personally do not believe that this series will renewed for the second season. After Lost and Fringe, JJ Abrams and projects in which it participates, suffered a complete fiasco.
  9. Sep 19, 2012
    This show is so sorely written, and formulaic that it begs the question "Has network narrative finally died?" The pacing of the show is so off and the characters have left me starving for some kind of development. I just really dont understand why these show's get green lit. There's one part where a girl has a flash back (JJ and his flash backs) and shes eating ice cream. Like its theThis show is so sorely written, and formulaic that it begs the question "Has network narrative finally died?" The pacing of the show is so off and the characters have left me starving for some kind of development. I just really dont understand why these show's get green lit. There's one part where a girl has a flash back (JJ and his flash backs) and shes eating ice cream. Like its the last time Ice cream was ever going to exist because power went out. ICE CREAM HAS BEEN AROUND FOR WAY LONGER THAN THE MODERN USE OF ELECTRICITY. Apparently the writers are so brain dead and wrapped up in their idevices they forgot to be intelligent. A waist of time. Expand
  10. Sep 18, 2012
    Pathetic writing and acting almost as bad. More wholes in the storyline than swiss cheese. The collapse of physics? Give me a break. Who writes this stuff - two year olds?
  11. Sep 18, 2012
    I am simply amazed how it was possible to deconstruct the entire concept of the setting within barely 15 minutes. It is an insult to the viewer to just claim "physics went insane" and then just a few minutes down the road we are shown that most of the quintessential parts of technology are not also perfectly functional, but also that the characters are obviously too stupid to realize. IfI am simply amazed how it was possible to deconstruct the entire concept of the setting within barely 15 minutes. It is an insult to the viewer to just claim "physics went insane" and then just a few minutes down the road we are shown that most of the quintessential parts of technology are not also perfectly functional, but also that the characters are obviously too stupid to realize. If semi-automatic firearms work, engines work. Simple as that. Boiled down to the basics, an engine is nothing but a self-repeating series of controlled explosions. The simplest designs do not even need electricity to work, if you'd be forced to build them without. But all that does not even matter, because everything else is just as bad and inconsistent as the setting. The art department did a horrible job and most important items and settings do not look real and lived in at all. They look like a badly done set for a soap commercial. Wear and tear of 15 years forced partial neglect is used so badly and inconsistently on everything, that they might not have bothered with it at all. It is clear that the people responsible for the visual design have no talent of observation. That is quite common and always a problem, because who cannot observe and comprehend are doomed to get everything wrong. When you do not know how to look at things, you are missing all vital questions. Say there is an object. Say an airplane. Parked in exactly one spot for 15 years. If you have never seen anything similar, you will mess it up. And they did. Not just this but everything you actually pay attention to. Look too hard and it falls apart. Last but not least, the show suffers from a disease that is an increasing problem these days: Character lobotomy syndrome. The people inside the fictional word are so incredibly stupid and make such incredibly unacceptable and horrid mistakes in the most basic department, that it is implausible that they are alive at all. So the world is dangerous? Really? A lot?! So you fenced in a village but nobody was smart enough ever to bother with any actual kind of sentries or a solid defense? Why are they still there? Did they get overlooked by everything bad for more than a decade? Simply impossible. They are either too stupid to still exist like they allegedly do, or everyone else who might have posed a problem is. Both ways, it adds up to a lot of stupid and incompetence for the setting. The show is a mess. Expand
  12. Sep 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The pilot reminds me of many other shows of this type, including Jericho. I hope it strikes out on its own. Even the computer communication at the end of the first ep reminded me of Fringe. Who is she communicating with? Interesting, but they'd better learn from Fringe and start giving us some bread crumbs before the end of the first season. And they need to keep Giancarlo's acting very subtle - less bombastic - more like Gus from Breaking Bad, and less like his character from Do the Right Thing. Expand
  13. Sep 18, 2012
    While I'm glad someone has released a show on network television that isn't serialized, I have strong doubts this one will go the distance. It attempts to be realistic, which doesn't leave much mystery for entertainment. Basically, it's a drama set in a world with no energy. This is dangerous, because it forces the entertainment value to fall solely on realism. Realism takes too much chaosWhile I'm glad someone has released a show on network television that isn't serialized, I have strong doubts this one will go the distance. It attempts to be realistic, which doesn't leave much mystery for entertainment. Basically, it's a drama set in a world with no energy. This is dangerous, because it forces the entertainment value to fall solely on realism. Realism takes too much chaos and despair to be viable for network television, and this show offers little of either. Without realism or intrigue, Revolution falls flat. This show should take a page from Lost and give a story so interesting the viewer doesn't care whether it's realistic. Revolution fails in suspension of disbelief. Expand
  14. Sep 17, 2012
    The plot potential is there. Unfortunately the acting and overall nuances are a little less Lost and a little more Terra Nova. But hey, it's a pilot... and this show can potentially be what we Lost lover's have been waiting to see again.
  15. Sep 17, 2012
    Agree all the way with Fortius, and so many holes, this looks so amateurish for the likes of JJ Abrams and Jon Favreau to be on board with production. I mean swords really, they don't even explain the weaponry or world, and lousy screenplay here and there. I felt they underplayed the Father's death which you can clearly see in the trailer or previews so no spoiler there. But, seriouslyAgree all the way with Fortius, and so many holes, this looks so amateurish for the likes of JJ Abrams and Jon Favreau to be on board with production. I mean swords really, they don't even explain the weaponry or world, and lousy screenplay here and there. I felt they underplayed the Father's death which you can clearly see in the trailer or previews so no spoiler there. But, seriously felt they didn't capture my attention enough. Like Fortius said, the premise was so promising, and I was excited for some sort of Heroes/Lost, but acting is choppy and cheesy as well. What a bummer! Still going to watch probably. But what a disappointment. I think I am going to start screen play writing, and scriptwriting, and may switch my career to join hollywood soon, seriously, with the impact i think I could make, I can certainly create a better pilot myself. Expand
  16. Sep 17, 2012
    Premise is decent but lack post apocolyptic integrity. Why does it look like everyone has had a fresh shower and clean new clothes. Remember their is no running water for baths and washing clothes. All water has to be carried by hand. Scrub your clothes all you want, how clean do you think they will be.
  17. Sep 17, 2012
    I loved the pilot to this, So I will be watching more episodes. The pilot was great full of action, The actors reminded me of Hunger Games actors they were a little more coll then I thought they would be, meaning they weren't cheesy or anything like that. It was Revolution meets Lost, meets , The Book Of Eli, type action and backround or environment . Don't believe the bad reviews forI loved the pilot to this, So I will be watching more episodes. The pilot was great full of action, The actors reminded me of Hunger Games actors they were a little more coll then I thought they would be, meaning they weren't cheesy or anything like that. It was Revolution meets Lost, meets , The Book Of Eli, type action and backround or environment . Don't believe the bad reviews for this one and I do hope to see more Revolution. Expand
  18. Sep 17, 2012
    Just watched the pilot episode for REVOLUTION: its intriguing, and there's certainly plenty of potential for the show: we'll just have to see where the writers and producers take it.
  19. Sep 17, 2012
    Whith acting that bad the women need bigger **** The writing especially the dialog is really so bad. I guess I should give the acting a little credit. If you want to waste your time watch this show.
  20. Sep 17, 2012
    The best new show since "Touch". Revolution is a great post apocalyptic show that is almost as good as "The Walking Dead". Anyone and everyone who loves to see some violence, see some plot twists, see some action, and see a very good show should catch Revolution.
  21. Sep 17, 2012
    The premise is fairly original and had intrigued me from the start and the sets, costumes, and lighting all looked wonderful! The show fell apart for me with the plot and acting. The characters were especially unbelievable, their motives were inconsistent and the acting was ridiculous. All-in-all it might have made a good book and it would have made a great show with different actors andThe premise is fairly original and had intrigued me from the start and the sets, costumes, and lighting all looked wonderful! The show fell apart for me with the plot and acting. The characters were especially unbelievable, their motives were inconsistent and the acting was ridiculous. All-in-all it might have made a good book and it would have made a great show with different actors and better dialogue but this isn't a show I will be looking forward to. Expand
  22. Sep 17, 2012
    The pilot was really boring,if you have seen the trailer you don´t need to watch the pilot because there is nothing more.In my opinion it very similar to "Terra nova" and i really doubt they will make more than two seasons.I didn´t like how they introduce the main characters,the story is very predictable ...just as terra nova.

1. Reviewed by: David Hiltbrand
    Sep 24, 2012
    Revolution had better worry about generating some voltage of its own. The pilot was excellent, but where does it go from here?
  2. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Sep 21, 2012
    This is well-produced, but it could just as well be Mission:Colonial. [1 Oct 2012, p.38]
  3. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson
    Sep 18, 2012
    On the bright side, no one is in danger of having to watch this inert action show.