• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 17, 2012
  • Season #: 1 , 2
5.8

1. Sep 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The pilot reminds me of many other shows of this type, including Jericho. I hope it strikes out on its own. Even the computer communication at the end of the first ep reminded me of Fringe. Who is she communicating with? Interesting, but they'd better learn from Fringe and start giving us some bread crumbs before the end of the first season. And they need to keep Giancarlo's acting very subtle - less bombastic - more like Gus from Breaking Bad, and less like his character from Do the Right Thing. Expand
  2. Sep 25, 2012
    If you don't mind the fact that the whole premise of the show is beyond ridiculous, and you can overlook the bad acting and cliche characters, then you might actually find this show entertaining. The plot has various mysteries to solve, and the sets are kind of cool looking, so that's something. Sword fights! I'm going to file this under "So bad that it's funny". Bonus game: Every time something preposterous about electricity occurs, take a drink! (Warning: May lead to extreme drunkenness.) Expand
  3. Sep 28, 2012
    The premise is preposterous however I was willing to suspend my belief in the laws of science and go along. The real crime is that the characters are boring as all get out. Sorry J.J., this one's looking like another Terra Nova.
  4. Oct 3, 2013
    Revolution: Evolving Backwards

It's obvious now that discerning viewers have been spoiled (and not a little surprised) by good television Drama writing in the last decade or so. It's like the Medium finally grew up and the enlightened realized that characters could be deeply explored; that complex plots could be provided with rich episodic exposition; that with good direction and
    scripts, personal histories and inference could explain hidden, subtle or conflicting motivations; that nuanced development, realistic propositions and believable protaganists framed within the "classic movie” framework, armed with huge multiples of fixed-time, could be raised to an art form.

With dramas such as The Wire, Six Feet Under, Breaking Bad, Band of Brothers, The Sopranos, Mad Men and even the Walking Dead and a handful of others raising the standard of storytelling, television is able to finally surpass the advantage of huge budgets in major feature films primarily by virtue of excellent writing alone. With viewers investing seasons and years into the "lives" of their favourite characters it's now obvious that when television is good, it can be really, really Good. But, there are always and, it seems, as seldom as not, imitators to those thrones, blatant knock-offs aplenty.

There are also the plain lazy. Bad writing and directing efforts, entire productions that "kind of get" the salient highlights of those inspirational pack leaders, but miss the point of exceptional TV entirely. Entirely.

This series Revolution reflects the Golden Age of Television. It really does. When drama writers and directors only had to fill a screen for 45 minutes of mindless, directionless, abstract action to attract advertisers. This series certainly must have looked good on paper once as a loose idea maybe. Not the way the actual script turned out...

Look: Apocalypse without those fusty, messy and unpredictable Undead beheaded to litter the landscape with, so comparatively low on the special effects bottom line. No questionable, nasty killings like those grubby, greedy gangsters trying to make a dirty buck. No heavy morality plays or transformation of characters to confound or unsettle the viewer, just Good or Evil writ large complete with mock SS uniforms. No clever art production to fuss over just find locations in states of decay, disrepair or neglect. Not too hard to find in the USA these days at all.

The Golden Age of TV was when there were simply no other options. Any plot hole, crap production value, inconsistencies, impossibly invincible heroes, rank stereo-typing and cliche was what viewers expected, generally got and rare was the exception indeed. No other options. Maybe as far back as before renting VHS tapes. Those days before surfing YouTube for sure and aside from Star Trek or The Twilight Zone it was all pretty…lacking and unimaginative. Yet people still watched even worse TV. Until certain groundbreaking series and whether that was Star Trek, The Twilight Zone, it’s just what TV was, in it’s Golden Age.

Revolution takes those same liberties. Big ones that glare like a cathode ray...

- The USA has been seemingly reduced to the size of Rhode Island as characters seem to traverse distances in hours.
    - It’s easy to find somebody in Chicago just walk onto the set.
    - Principals in t-shirts with no regard to weather or colder nights. A human can die of exposure at temperatures as high as 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Each has a smallish backpack supposedly containing: food, water, extra clothing, tools, explosives, wiring, fuses, shaving toiletries, hair and beauty products, blankets, utensils, etc.
    - Mature characters have not gained weight, scarred or added a wrinkle in 15 years. They look exactly the same as present day. One is still even morbidly obese after 15 years of foraging, “hunting” or eating canned food. His beard is the same length now, as is his and everyone else's hair. Most male characters that aren’t clean shaven merely have 5 o’clock shadows illustrating "duress and hardship".
    - Every character seemingly has a convenient hostage interest.
    - Each character is a stereotype. Either gloating, obvious Evil or a Good person with a conflicted, sketchy back story.
    - Acting is deplorable, sets are random, premise seemed interesting but proves ridiculous, characters flip flop and have questionable motives, explosions, art direction is virtually non-existent...

Oh forget it. I could go on and on with this series, I guess I’ll just be lazy too. Everyone seems to be running around in circles all the time or just making the same speeches every time they’re on camera. So little done with so much, every time one thinks or looks. For the viewer as well as the actors.

But you know, if this really was a Golden Age production there would be no blood at all. Which would seem quite appropriate for such a confused and bloodless series. I’m giving it 2/10 because I’m watching it as a Comedy and that’s just golden to me
  5. Sep 17, 2012
    Whith acting that bad the women need bigger **** The writing especially the dialog is really so bad. I guess I should give the acting a little credit. If you want to waste your time watch this show.
  6. Sep 28, 2012
    Really poor. Most of the characters are too pretty, too "model" and too clean to believe that there's no power. All their clothes are clean and pressed...how? The main female character is wearing makeup and skimpy clothing...come on really? Were supposed to believe this story? The set designs were the only thing that kept me from voting zero. I couldn't watch 20 minutes of this.
  7. Sep 27, 2012
    This show is awful for several fundamental reasons. 1 - The premise is ridiculous: "Physics went crazy, engines stopped working" - right, so engines (which are based on a controlled series of explosions) don't work, but guns do. The only thing this show does consistently is contradict the paper thin premise. 2 - It doesn't look post-apocalyptic. Everyone wears clean clothes, looks freshly showered and behave as if the whole thing is an extended camping trip. In the first episode, a small community doesn't even adequately defend itself in a world where armed gangs are rampaging and brutalizing those who can't defend themselves. If this were to really happen, lone communities would need to be armed to the teeth and hyper vigilant. Just look at current-day Somalia for an idea of what this SHOULD look like. 3 - The action scenes are terrible. Too many rapid cuts to different angles don't show a good fight scene - they just confuse what is a poorly-choreographed fight. 4 - A magic little USB device somehow powers a computer - which supposedly no longer works - AND somehow transmits a message to another computer who knows how far away. 5 - The acting isn't even remotely convincing. Enough said there. Conclusion - The whole show is just typical garbage made by some studio execs in Hollywood which are so out of touch its laughable. Expand
  8. May 19, 2013
    This show deserves but two words: Boring and uninspired. If you watched the first 2 episodes, end your experience there... it gets so stupid and boring after the pilot, worse than any other show I have ever seen.

Heres a glimpse of a scene in revolution: Two guys sword fighting going after each others throats. Eventually, one of them losses their sword! Oh my! Then, the guy with
    the sword holds it up to his enemy's neck and tells him why he is going to kill him. Then, the guy in trouble steals the sword and holds it to his enemy's neck and tells him he is going to kill him. Eventually they both get their swords back and go for each others throats again... So instead of just killing each other, they just basically dance with swords.

Save yourself... This show is utterly and completely pointless.
  9. May 8, 2013
    Stunningly bad, considering Eric Kripke is at the helm. I don't have the words to describe how poorly written Revolution is. And the acting? Burke and Esposito are doing what they can with terrible material, but Spiridakos is like a robot an annoying little pouting robot. I gave it most of a season before weighing in, to see if it found itself along the way. But it is as bad as ever sixteen episodes in. What a shame. I really wanted to like this show. Expand
  10. Oct 12, 2012
    I watched the first three episodes, but that's it for me. The writing was passable at first, but rapidly deteriorated into formula "damsel in distress" soap opera. I cannot sympathize with the main characters, whose actions are so stupid and counter-intuitive that any decent writer would have killed them off in episode one. And, of course, the central mysteries of "Revolution" aren't really that hard to figure out, are they?

One bright spot is Giancarlo Esposito, whom I remember fondly from "Breaking Bad" as one of my favorite villains of all time. This series could have been really good, but it has turned into a low budget version of "The Hunger Games" instead. Teens with bows and arrows has been done better -- a lot better.
  11. Oct 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The show started out kind of slow but after the 3rd episode it is really really good. Last nights episode one of the characters dies and I actually shed a tear it was so well acted. Expand
  12. Oct 30, 2012
    I have given this show a fair shake but too much is too much -- or should I say too little is too little.

First, as has been noted, the acting leaves much to be desired. When the star, Tracy Spiridakos, has only two poses -- wooden Indian or stunned teenager, you are in trouble. I thought she might improve as she got accustomed to the role but no such luck.

Second, even if one
    could buy the basic premise about a sudden world-wide loss of power, it would be impossible to believe the lack of progress 15 years after the blackout. Power "disappeared" but the scientists didn't.

Third, as has been noted, there are too many ridiculous incongruities, as has been mentioned, like the permed hair and makeup.
  13. Jun 14, 2013
    This show is slow and a cheesy poor story line. It feels overdone and forced. The original loss of power is cool, but everything else is bad. Action feels forced. And the twists and other stuff that happens feels like I already know it is coming an episode before.
  14. May 21, 2013
    This is just another example of crap network TV. I will give them credit for at least trying a show that is not another COP show that has the same story and result every episode OR another piece of junk reality show. BUT thats where I will end my positive comments. How the hell do these people look so damn clean without having power and running water. None of the main characters will ever be killed. Everything is so damn predictable. I really think cable channels are the last place to go for real entertaining TV series. Shows like LOST just wont happen anymore. Thank god for HBO, Showtime, AMC, FX etc. NETWORK TV IS DONE. Expand
  15. Oct 16, 2012
    Ok I'm not gonna repeat what been said already... Read all the negative reviews because they are all spot on. What I will add though is.. With all the harsher living people have had to go through. It irks me no end that the young stars look like they came straight out of a Gap clothes store... And afterwards they must have visited a beauty salon... They look better than we do now.. I give this 1 point for having a good idea and 1 point for Gus Fring.
    Sanitized kindergarten stuff.
  16. Dec 14, 2012
    Just as every other new scifi show these days, it has to be a silly, stupid nonsense, with cliche motives, naive story and flat characters, trumped by an apparent, total lack of any scientific accuracy. I suggest to walk away and thus stop supporting show like that, clearly great success of BSG is not enough a message for "them" to realize, they are doing it all wrong.
  17. Sep 18, 2012
    While I'm glad someone has released a show on network television that isn't serialized, I have strong doubts this one will go the distance. It attempts to be realistic, which doesn't leave much mystery for entertainment. Basically, it's a drama set in a world with no energy. This is dangerous, because it forces the entertainment value to fall solely on realism. Realism takes too much chaos and despair to be viable for network television, and this show offers little of either. Without realism or intrigue, Revolution falls flat. This show should take a page from Lost and give a story so interesting the viewer doesn't care whether it's realistic. Revolution fails in suspension of disbelief. Expand
  18. Sep 17, 2012
    Premise is decent but lack post apocolyptic integrity. Why does it look like everyone has had a fresh shower and clean new clothes. Remember their is no running water for baths and washing clothes. All water has to be carried by hand. Scrub your clothes all you want, how clean do you think they will be.
  19. Sep 17, 2012
    The premise is fairly original and had intrigued me from the start and the sets, costumes, and lighting all looked wonderful! The show fell apart for me with the plot and acting. The characters were especially unbelievable, their motives were inconsistent and the acting was ridiculous. All-in-all it might have made a good book and it would have made a great show with different actors and better dialogue but this isn't a show I will be looking forward to. Expand
  20. Sep 18, 2012
    I am simply amazed how it was possible to deconstruct the entire concept of the setting within barely 15 minutes. It is an insult to the viewer to just claim "physics went insane" and then just a few minutes down the road we are shown that most of the quintessential parts of technology are not also perfectly functional, but also that the characters are obviously too stupid to realize. If semi-automatic firearms work, engines work. Simple as that. Boiled down to the basics, an engine is nothing but a self-repeating series of controlled explosions. The simplest designs do not even need electricity to work, if you'd be forced to build them without. But all that does not even matter, because everything else is just as bad and inconsistent as the setting. The art department did a horrible job and most important items and settings do not look real and lived in at all. They look like a badly done set for a soap commercial. Wear and tear of 15 years forced partial neglect is used so badly and inconsistently on everything, that they might not have bothered with it at all. It is clear that the people responsible for the visual design have no talent of observation. That is quite common and always a problem, because who cannot observe and comprehend are doomed to get everything wrong. When you do not know how to look at things, you are missing all vital questions. Say there is an object. Say an airplane. Parked in exactly one spot for 15 years. If you have never seen anything similar, you will mess it up. And they did. Not just this but everything you actually pay attention to. Look too hard and it falls apart. Last but not least, the show suffers from a disease that is an increasing problem these days: Character lobotomy syndrome. The people inside the fictional word are so incredibly stupid and make such incredibly unacceptable and horrid mistakes in the most basic department, that it is implausible that they are alive at all. So the world is dangerous? Really? A lot?! So you fenced in a village but nobody was smart enough ever to bother with any actual kind of sentries or a solid defense? Why are they still there? Did they get overlooked by everything bad for more than a decade? Simply impossible. They are either too stupid to still exist like they allegedly do, or everyone else who might have posed a problem is. Both ways, it adds up to a lot of stupid and incompetence for the setting. The show is a mess. Expand
  21. Sep 17, 2012
    I loved the pilot to this, So I will be watching more episodes. The pilot was great full of action, The actors reminded me of Hunger Games actors they were a little more coll then I thought they would be, meaning they weren't cheesy or anything like that. It was Revolution meets Lost, meets , The Book Of Eli, type action and backround or environment . Don't believe the bad reviews for this one and I do hope to see more Revolution. Expand
  22. Oct 9, 2012
    Seriously the storyline goes back to some 90 's RPG, just heading towards somewhere aimlessly. Though it's Sci-Fi it looks like some middle-school daydreams. Also I'm bored with a bright idiot heroine.
  23. Nov 20, 2012
    The combination of Abrams and Kripke might be fantastic, but the pilot unfortunately was not. Yes, it's too early to tell and I'll be waiting a while to really make up my mind but from the pilot it doesn't look good. Wrong casting choices, too many plot-holes, stupid choices and alot of wooden acting. The premise seems OK so maybe with the introduction of new subplots and characters I will end up liking it. Expand
  24. OMM
    Sep 20, 2012
    Revolution had promise until the first show aired. After which it was an hour of sloppy writing, poor acting, and just overall uninteresting. But then again its' on NBC, so if was my fault for expecting a good show.
  25. Nov 6, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Horrible writing and horrible acting aside I'll tell you exactly why this show is truly awful:

Upon completing the first episode I turned to my friend and told her "this show makes my science hurt", meaning it makes no sense. There is no way it could work. I was willing to buy it if there was something like an EMP that wiped out all the power, but it's far more insane than that. Coming from someone who watches zombie films and shows, this is even harder to believe could happen.

They try to make it feel like it is something that /could/ happen, but then there are seemingly magical talismans. Okay?

And let's not get started on how the social structure seems so unnatural..
  26. Sep 26, 2012
    The premise isn't very original. It doesn't hold a candle to the apocalyptic show The Walking Dead but it definitely beats out Falling Skies. Overall, this show as the potential to be something great. Let's hope they don't screw it up.
  27. Nov 4, 2012
    To give the show a fair review, I've waited until the end of the sixth episode and even now I can't seem to say anything more than it's a fairly average show. Revolution is no Breaking Bad, Lost or anything of the sort; you won't wait all week to watch it, nor can you see it being a long running show. It's the sort of show that, like Terra Nova, is likely to get cancelled after season 2, because like Terra Nova, it's plagued by plot inconsistencies, extremely fast and downright rubbish character and plot development, and occasionally some very bad acting. That's not to say all the acting is bad; the show is essentially held together by the Twilight guy who plays Miles Matherson and Captain Tom Neville, aka Gus from Breaking Bad - but I could just be being biased there. The female lead protagonist feels kind of hollow, and it's hard to care what happens to her. Most of the story and plot is spoon fed to viewers, despite the fact you can on more than one occasion figure out what's happening or going to happen, before it actually happens. I can't say I'm a fan of something being so predictable, I like to keep guessing, making assumptions and having real plot twists that come out of nowhere. Of course, Revolution is an easy watch; it can be quite entertaining, but in essence it's nothing more than filler whilst you wait for better shows to come on TV. 5/10 Expand
  28. Oct 4, 2012
    Reminds me a bit of Jericho, which was also slow to start, had iffy acting at first, but I wound up loving. I'm going to give this a few more weeks (currently 3 eps only) and see where it goes. Lots of potential and I'm interested to see how they bring things together and still hopefully keep the action elements in there.
  29. Sep 17, 2012
    The plot potential is there. Unfortunately the acting and overall nuances are a little less Lost and a little more Terra Nova. But hey, it's a pilot... and this show can potentially be what we Lost lover's have been waiting to see again.
  30. Sep 17, 2012
    Just watched the pilot episode for REVOLUTION: its intriguing, and there's certainly plenty of potential for the show: we'll just have to see where the writers and producers take it.
  31. Sep 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This show is something special. You got a post-apocalyptic scenario revolving around "physics going insane" which is already a auspicious start to something terrible. Now we know that the main character's family knows about this "event" possibility yet they are completely unprepared for it other than a magic USB key and a box of food and filling their tubs with water. It doesn't take a genius to prepare for something so big you know is coming.

They then time skip an arbitrary 15 years into the future where apparently plants suddenly grew at an insanely fast rate and over grew every city in the world. Not to mention they claim engines, jet turbines, batteries, etc... stopped working forever. Hold that thought because a lot of engines work without electronics and I saw candles, fire, and gunpowder so why can't you burn said things inside a cylinder. Apparently because "physics" went insane.

Then they contradict themselves in the trailer with a computer clearly being powered by the magic USB key and a bunch of batteries? Not to mention they don't even bother plugging wires into the computer so the old school keyboard is apparently wireless, also the monitor as well, and modem. Wait modem how does that even work if power doesn't work. Phones still have power???

Then onto the selection of weapons we got everything from 1800 to pre-modern weaponry which is strange because in 15 years all modern firearms apparently became so rare no one has many of them even though there are millions of them in the states alone and billions of bullets to use. Finally if physics went insane then why is life not affected by it. Physics applies to everything without regard for if it is human technology. A battery is a chemical reaction that is used in your brain, in the ocean, in rusting, etc...

Electricity is so fundamental as well and you can make a generator with a magnet and a coil of wire. Sci-fi usually adds things to the universe Revolution tries to take everything away but not really which makes it sound quite insane.

The simple conclusion is the premise is highly contrived and is trying to sound realistic and gritty while failing to achieve the effect believable. I'm pretty sure a Google engineer would not have classes about the world starting and ending with everything went insane isn't it interesting? (Children, or viewers because I doubt the children care about a non-explanation)

That is also ignoring the stilted dialog and strange actions/logic of the characters.
  32. Aug 5, 2013
    Revolution is bad, really bad at times. The show suffers from the curse of its connections to Lost. The writers deliver some episodes of absolute dross, usually in the form of contrived tangents and side-quests to the character's main objectives, only to finish most episodes with some form of tiny reveal of the show's grand story, which the writers seemingly make up week by week.

The
    swashbuckling sword fighting nature of the show's early episodes give way to episodes loaded with some of the lamest, most repetitive gun fights ever, punctuated with characters of frustrating stupidity and tediousness. The main character Charlie (Tracy Spiridakos) is an annoyingly righteous, not to mention stupid, teenage girl in the Hunger Game mould, who repeatedly clashes with her self-serving, stylised bad guy Uncle as many times as she has to be rescued by him after more poor judgement. The writers clearly tried to make Miles (Billy Burke) the show's anti-hero, a womanising, boozing killer wrecked by his past indiscretions and the show would have been better if they would have stuck to their guns but they all too often give in because he's one of the good guys.

Revolution's single shining light (no pun intended) is Giancarlo Esposito's turn as Captain Tom Neville, easily the show's best character. That is all.

The similarities to Flashforward and Lost are all too obvious. The score, the flashbacks (actually more enjoyable than the present day action), the mysterious world changing event, the 'hatch' 'tower' are all borrowed with varying degrees of mediocrity.

At times watching Revolution I wished that the world's power would blackout to save me, I'll be skipping season two despite the slightly intriguing set-up in the finale. Another interesting concept from the J.J. Abrams stable (see Alcatraz) fails to live up to it's potential.
  33. Sep 20, 2012
    Unfortunately, I think that this series will suffer the fate of Alcatraz and Terra Nova. Plot was interesting when did not show the first episode. I personally do not believe that this series will renewed for the second season. After Lost and Fringe, JJ Abrams and projects in which it participates, suffered a complete fiasco.
  34. Nov 10, 2012
    I feel dirty admitting this but I have watched every episode. Its like watching a car accident. Its horrific but you can't look away. Every week I think ok it could get better, but I'm prone to delusional thoughts at the best of times. The complete lack of plausibility in the plot has been pretty much covered in other reviews. The standard of acting by Tracy Spiridakos as Charlie is worthy of some sort of taxpayer funded investigation. How can a person with absolutely no acting skill whatsoever land a leading role in a money'd up network show? I could literally discuss it for hours if I could find anybody that gave a shi#
    Her repertoire of face pulls indicating grief, anger, fear are excruciating to watch. I keep watching in the hope she will eventually suffer a death befitting the crime perpetrated on the pathetic viewers like myself who continue to download this tripe week after week. I was a Lost fan which I suppose is why I am still watching but really please kill off Charlie she is godawfull bad. I'm serious
  35. Sep 17, 2012
    The best new show since "Touch". Revolution is a great post apocalyptic show that is almost as good as "The Walking Dead". Anyone and everyone who loves to see some violence, see some plot twists, see some action, and see a very good show should catch Revolution.
  36. Sep 19, 2012
    This show is so sorely written, and formulaic that it begs the question "Has network narrative finally died?" The pacing of the show is so off and the characters have left me starving for some kind of development. I just really dont understand why these show's get green lit. There's one part where a girl has a flash back (JJ and his flash backs) and shes eating ice cream. Like its the last time Ice cream was ever going to exist because power went out. ICE CREAM HAS BEEN AROUND FOR WAY LONGER THAN THE MODERN USE OF ELECTRICITY. Apparently the writers are so brain dead and wrapped up in their idevices they forgot to be intelligent. A waist of time. Expand
  37. Oct 12, 2012
    This show has an amazing concept but the creators and writers can't seem to utilize it properly. A few of the cast members are too bad at acting. I wonder what's the future of this show? Are they going to tell us what really happened or are they just going to do what the creators of Persons Unknown did? That's the one thing we need to think of.
  38. Sep 22, 2012
    A show set in an apocalyptic world sure seems pretty innocent and clean to me. The only people who look like they actually fought to survive the anarchy and chaos that inevitably ensued are the "bad" guys. If something like that actually happened you would not survive without having to do some horrible things. But this show pretends everyone is living peacefully and there are still ignorance about what is going on. Also the main characters are always clean with fancy clothes. Strange. And the two younger male actors are terrible. You can tell the minute they come on screen because they have skin tight t-shirts and somehow look even cleaner than the rest. I don't get why they cast people like that when they can clearly not act. Expand
  39. Dec 18, 2012
    This show can be technically good but sometimes that's not enough, all the things happen again and again and (i think) that's cliche.Even Giancarlo Esposito couldn't save it.
  40. Apr 25, 2013
    I naively hoped for something reminiscent of a Joss Whedon romp. Instead I got watered down cliches delivered by a heroine with a limited range of facial expressions: Determined and angry, determined and frightened, determined and plucky. I gave it three episodes before I couldn't stomach the twaddle anymore. I should have known it would be bad just from the preview clip of our not-so-fascinating heroine whining "Because we're family!" Family safe, maybe. If your granny and your eight year-old church-going precious need something to watch, this show is probably it. For the rest of us, best to go on hoping Joss Whedon gets another series soon. Expand
  41. Jun 28, 2013
    The only 1 hour show NBC puts out worse than this is Grimm. Record and watch this series when your DVR is empty.

This sentence is for the character count bot.
  42. Oct 6, 2012
    Some shows require some suspension of disbelief but make it up with well drawn out characters, good acting and interesting stories. This is not one of those shows.
    You have to be completely brain dead to buy in the premise of the show or you're are a member of a religious group that doesn't use any machines and technology and have no clue about the most basic laws of physics.
    Even if we
    choose to believe that it's possible that guns work but machines based on explosions don't, I'm pretty sure that it's still possible to boil water. And if that works, you can use steam engines.
    So why not take those old steam trains in the museums and put them back on rails and you're able to use trains for transport. Use steam engines to build stuff. But of course, that also doesn't work.
    And we're supposed to believe that one woman or man or a group of three can just march through the woods without being attacked be a group of say, at least a dozen brutes that lure in the bushes to rape and kill? I don't.
    And that son is being arrested by a dozen to twenty militia guys with guns and I'm supposed to believe that on their way back they won't be ambushed somewhere by a pack of 50 to 100 guys armed with bows that want to kill them and take their guns and food? Even with guns, a dozen militia guys wouldn't stand a chance. The entire world and the scenarios we're being presented aren't credible or plausible.
    How is one militia, no matter how big, going to control a country as vast as the (former) U.S.? No way.
    And all the main characters are wandering around somewhere trying to find something/someone or do something important and every time it looks so poorly prepared. Never do they stay together when arriving at a new place with people they don't know. I could go on and on, oh dear!
    But there's even more. It seems that there are devices looking like amulets that you activate which then emit some kind of energy that makes technology work again. Even computers - and networks.
    One woman is able to communicate via a terminal application with someone in a remote place.
    A magic amulet! That is ludicrous! Watching an episode of Revolution makes me imagine Homer Simpson tearing out all of his hair. That's how bad it is.
    I didn't talk about the actors or the acting but facing this mess of a show, I don't think it matters one bit.
    I grant the show 2 points because the character's relationships and the stories can be engaging sometimes.
    So, if you're someone who has that extraordinary capability to buy into the silliest and most ludicrous premises and scenarios, go ahead and knock yourself out. If not, just stay away.
  43. May 4, 2013
    One of the terrible TV series lead actress is so mediocre and make her self look like a zombie.Effects and fights are so primitive. Also so the story is lame.
  44. Sep 18, 2012
    Pathetic writing and acting almost as bad. More wholes in the storyline than swiss cheese. The collapse of physics? Give me a break. Who writes this stuff - two year olds?
  45. Sep 17, 2012
    The pilot was really boring,if you have seen the trailer you don´t need to watch the pilot because there is nothing more.In my opinion it very similar to "Terra nova" and i really doubt they will make more than two seasons.I didn´t like how they introduce the main characters,the story is very predictable ...just as terra nova.
  46. Sep 17, 2012
    Agree all the way with Fortius, and so many holes, this looks so amateurish for the likes of JJ Abrams and Jon Favreau to be on board with production. I mean swords really, they don't even explain the weaponry or world, and lousy screenplay here and there. I felt they underplayed the Father's death which you can clearly see in the trailer or previews so no spoiler there. But, seriously felt they didn't capture my attention enough. Like Fortius said, the premise was so promising, and I was excited for some sort of Heroes/Lost, but acting is choppy and cheesy as well. What a bummer! Still going to watch probably. But what a disappointment. I think I am going to start screen play writing, and scriptwriting, and may switch my career to join hollywood soon, seriously, with the impact i think I could make, I can certainly create a better pilot myself. Expand
  47. Sep 27, 2012
    Acting needs to improve but there's too much talent working on this show for it not to be good. I'm predicting it'll become a solid show by episode five.
  48. Sep 26, 2012
    I wanted this show to be good so bad. It's probably the only thing driving me to keep watching it, even if it's too early to tell, there's a slew of problems including the acting, plot holes, character development, and lingering questions/ borrowed motifs. The young female lead falls victim of the same scrutiny of not only her delivery but her character; one action she does completely contradicts what she believes in, then yaps and cries about it, suffering from a common case of I-don't-know-what-I-want-syndrome, a common case in other shows (such as Sookie from True Blood).

Meanwhile, the plot tries to present a unique circumstance but still unusually how nothing has really happened until the first episode swings into the present, 15 years after the blackout to be precise. The kids are grown up, and a few important characters coincidentally get killed off. I guess in those 15 years a few private and public groups controlled the world with the next 14 years involved living the Amish life and twiddling their thumbs.

Back to characters: everyone happens to come out a Twilight movie; fit and beautiful, young looking men and women with fresh clothes that accentuate their muscle tone, despite the lack of a shower/shampoo and laundry for how many years. At least costumes could have it a little more authentic instead of part Old Navy model part gunslinger and combat boots (with too many belt buckles than deem necessary).

Overall, a good effort and I'll still watch it in memory of my favorite NBC show, Lost. They can try their best to clone it (several actors/ actresses from Lost, the flashback story telling, the mythos and pathos, the bigger-than-life stakes) but for me I'm not fooled, although I'd like to be. So for that, I must still tread on. What can I say? I'm a sucker.
  49. Sep 26, 2012
    Halfway through the second episode and I already find myself hoping Charlie is killed off quickly. I would be hard pressed to find a less sympathetic and less organic protagonist in any form of fiction.

The dialogue trots along at a snails pace, as if the show was tailored to 5 year old children with barely a grasp on language. When it doesn't feel forced it becomes predictable and
    absolutely unnecessary.

The concept, while certainly interesting, is completely lost in the emotional trite and unnecessary scenes. Two episodes in and I'm still not quite sure why I should keep watching. Yes, electricity stopped working, now what? The protagonists do absolutely nothing to move the plot forwards, opting instead to search for an abducted brother, but even that doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Whoever is responsible for this mess of a TV show should be ashamed. The scenery and costumes work very well with the concept and it LOOKS good, but beyond that shimmer of artistic integrity there is nothing which could compel a viewer to watch this.
  50. Sep 26, 2012
    So the lights have been out for 15 years.... Amazing how the irons still work as there was not a clothing wrinkle in sight and so must the curling irons! Not to mention that you walk into Chicago and the firs place you visit there's the guy who you're looking for... Wow! Great premise, terrible execution.
  51. Oct 1, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pretty much a disaster all the way. The show takes an interesting premise (that some force has hit the permanent "off" button on modern technology) and then...fast-forwards right past the interesting part of the premise to "fifteen years later" when everything and everyone is incurably stupid. Let me get this straight--it took 15 years to track down Sgt. Badass Matheson's brother Ben even though the guy is still living in the same neighborhood as he did when the lights went out? Did phonebooks stop working too? Did maps?

Of course, once Ben is tracked down, a wild crossbow and musket battle ensues. So the future belongs to Big 5 Sporting Goods and Civil War reenactors. Why hasn't *anyone grown a beard*? Heh, little 19th century humor there for ya. Of course the re-enactors go marching off leaving half the dead Ben's family still alive behind them including his new (trophy doctor several years younger and blond) wife and crossbow-toting (also blond, also hot) daughter. Who proceed to go off to rescure the one Matheson that the militia managed to capture alive, taking along an improbably fat former Google employee for comic relief. Eventually, of course, the band of three find the lost brother (maybe a day's journey away in the remains of Chicago) and he turns out to be....a swashbuckler! Yargh! No, wait, not that kind of swashbuckler, but the kind that (due to his years of marine training with the dreaded cutlass) is a one man killing machine who has that last bottle of good scotch whisky in the City of Big Shoulders, but is not clever enough to have obtained a single firearm!

I could go on and on with this, but you get the point: the show is not interested in the slightest as to what happened to technology, what it would mean for a society of now hundreds of millions of people to be suddenly without that technology which made the such a population sustainable, or how it would feel to be the puny remnants of a once great country whose technology made it the wealthiest empire in history. No, it's far more interested in ripping off Hunger Games, Walking Dead, Twilight, and the other dozen hit shows it wants to be compared to in order to suck in a large enough percentage of that choice demographic (preteens with credit cards, I guess) to justify whatever target ad rates its demented executives claimed they would be able to achieve once the show reached escape velocity. But it's going to fall right into the same Black Hole of Suckcutta that Lost did, only a whole lot faster. Future generations will call it the "Abrams Effect."
  52. Oct 2, 2012
    Me and my friends really enjoy this show! It is a fast paced action oriented show that will keep me interested in a tv show until walking dead and game of thrones. The whole physics went insane thing isn't quite true, it seems just anything that depended upon electronics or computer functions failed. This includes cars with electric starters and airplanes, phones, TVs et cetera. Very interesting to see how modern society would crumble without the mainstays we depend upon. I like the characters and the action, and it has potential. Expand
  53. Oct 2, 2012
    Instant reactions: Commercials: wow this looks like it might be fantastic Pilot: disappointed Chained heat: underwhelmed Actors: The acting is simply below average. Am I supposed to feel the same emotions that the protagonists go through? With the episodes aired, I did not at any time sense any connection to any of the "good guys". In fact, I'm rooting for the antagonists because their character portrayals have been that much more convincing and genuine.

Plot: Power goes out. 15 years later a group of rag tag people set out to fix it.

Dialogue: Written by a high school graduate at best. I tried my hardest to enjoy all of the aired episodes, but wow it's terrible. The dialogue makes Harry Potter films seem like Shakespeare. Honestly, the one line that was supposed to be dramatic was so flat that I laughed. "You're going to help me... because we're family." Also, you'll hear this line more than once...

Sets: Average. Expecting more out of those cool scenes from the commercials? I had high hopes in seeing the post-apocalyptic Wrigley Field... Only to realize that the commercials depicted exactly how the show did. Baseball stadium for less than 10 seconds, cut away to different scene. That was an insult to viewers... show 5 second clips to draw viewers/suckers in... show an extra 5 seconds in the actual episode.

Costumes: Not convincing. Here are a few examples: perfectly oiled hunting boots, immaculately white garments. Really? So the power shuts down but dry cleaners and Cole Haan apparently have found a way to maintain their businesses? Enough said.

Weapons: Guns, crossbows, knives, pitchforks all present. What more could you ask for?

Closing comments: I honestly think more money was spent on marketing than an anything else in Revolution. They hooked us in with well-cut commercials. Acting was mostly flat, dialogue laughable, story awful, costumes and sets were average, but unconvincing. I will continue to watch for a few more episodes to see if it improves, but NBC should know that there's a long list of much more deserving TV shows that have been cancelled.
  54. Oct 5, 2012
    Concept is OK.....but half way through the third episode I've had enough - bad acting by the 2 main characters (practically the whole cast) is only slightly worse than the bad writing. There is enough better TV on than to waste anymore time on this one.
  55. Oct 8, 2012
    This show has great visuals and would be a great show if not for the acting... It is horrible, especially the young girl, oh my god could she be anymore whinny... I can't watch the show just because of her... Get better actors...
  56. Oct 11, 2012
    I feel that this show is something that we have essentially seen before (Jericho, Lost). However I do like the relationships set up in the show. Billy Burke is a stand out performance and is an asset to the cast. The character of Charlie is annoying but I am definitely willing to give the show a chance because its been okay so far.
  57. Oct 16, 2012
    I wanted to enjoy this show. The premise intrigued me, so after the mediocre pilot I kept watching hoping the writing would improve. Eventually I stopped watching in the middle of the fifth episode. The characters remained one-dimensional and became incredibly frustrating to watch.
  58. Nov 3, 2012
    Although many people are claiming that the apocalypse scenario of the electronics collapsing and physics going insane are the problem with the show, I feel that this gives the show a cohesive plot line with the mystery of the problem. If everything was laid out in front of you at the beginning of the show there would be no incentive to delve deeper into the story that it offers. However, a few of the actors fall short of the adequate amount of acting actually required to make me like their characters, with the notable exceptions of Esposito of Breaking Bad fame and Burke's leading role after Twilight, many of the actors are newcomers and therefore a slight transition into the characters is to be expected. While not on the standard of shows such as Homeland, Mad Men or Breaking Bad, it's still a light hearted action romp created by the guys that brought you Alias, Lost and Supernatural. If you're going into the show expecting another Downton Abbey you'll be sorely disappointed, but as far as a television show goes, Revolution is good to sit down and switch off once a week and let the story wash over you. Too much time spent deconstructing the story itself may ruin the fun, but the mystery of the power outage and the main character's quests to discover this will be shared by millions of viewers world wide. Expand
  59. Nov 5, 2012
    After watching up to tonight I'll no longer subject myself to this poorly executed program. I wanted to like it, being a sucker for post apocalyptic settings, but this is a complete failure. My dissatisfaction begins with the look and wardrobe of the characters; clean hair, shaven, clean clothes that aren't literally falling apart at the seams after fifteen years. No suspense of disbelief with the easiest part, imagery and atmosphere. Then add neatly tied hour long episodes, very much like the episodic television of of the seventies, contrived dialogue, and fake, bloodless sword fights. No grit, no real sense of fear or desperation, no visceral interest in these unconvincing characters. This is a clear cut example of television force feeding us a cheesy, ill conceived effort and dishonestly selling it as high scyfy drama. Expand
  60. Nov 14, 2012
    I started watching this cos i'm sold by the produced by JJ Abrams tag line, Jokes on me, i watched 7 episodes and the next keep getting worse than the previous one... JJ abrams clearly has lost his mojo and i want my 7 hours of my life back....
  61. Nov 14, 2012
    I tried to keep an open mind, but as soon as the teenage boy (don't remember his name), who had a chance to escape during the earthquake or whatever it was, but decided to save his captor, pretty much sealed it's fate with me.

Each episode is pretty much a wtf were you thinking hour filled television. Too bad this wasn't on HBO. At least they aren't afraid to kill off characters, which
    this series badly needs. Like all of them.

I don't see this going past season 2, if they are lucky. Seems like all of the unemployed writers from Heroes are all on board.
  62. Nov 16, 2012
    I have seen episodes 1 through 6 and part of 7. I would not recommend this show to anyone. I really wanted to like Revolution, but it has sever flaws that numerous other reviews have already pointed out.
  63. Nov 30, 2012
    It's not the most intriguing pilot of the history, but Revolution bring good action, adventure and interesting elements of sci-fi. If you like this things that is your show, J.J. Abrams and Erik Kripke build whole new world without energy and control by milicias, definitely deserves a chance to have your attention.
  64. Nov 24, 2012
    It's probably a good, though not that great, post-apocalyptic series I've seen, the first since Jericho. The acting needs a bit improving and the characters I've yet to relate to. The only saving graces are the subject matter and the swordfight sequences. Too bad it'll be won't be back until sometime in March of next year. We'll see how it goes. I still have faith in J.J. Abrams though.
  65. Nov 27, 2012
    This show has potential but is held back by bad planning and story line faux-pas. The characters are believable, and the situation one that makes for a good show. However the removal of characters after making them seem to be part of the main story, along with the fact that they seem to be getting nowhere as far as the main plot is concerned kind of turns me off.

Giving it a 7 so far,
    and hoping it gets better. Expand
  66. Dec 1, 2012
    The show's potential and ideas were handicapped by a poorly strung, contradicting plot and an often ridiculous dialogue. Yet for some odd reason I cant help but keep watching.
  67. Dec 4, 2012
    An interesting idea for a good scifi tv series. To start I can't believe how stupid some of these critics are, yes there are some inconsistencies, but very few season 1's i've seen have been consistent (for example Stargate SG-1 tv). Engines work because of something called a spark plug (for those too stupid to understand basic physics; sparkplugs generate a spark...which is a form of electricity), it would take a while before the Chaos of a seemingly apocalypse calmed down enough for people to actually build a replacement of that technology, which is demonstrated later, with a train. (and most people wouldn't be able to build even a basic steam engine) Swords are pretty easy to make, and quite a few people in America own them, I'd expect most living humans in the TV series to have one at this point. The pendants do seem to magically power devices, most of which contain batteries, some sort of generator, or a potential power circuit (the computer). I see a lack of creativity on this site's critics, people in dire need of 'suspension of belief.' From what I observe in the world, 70% (likely greater) of people are pretty stupid, so stupid characters seem believable to me.

The acting is mixed between good, and decent. I've seen some pretty bad acting, take a look at youtube and you'll understand. (this is coming from someone who refuses to watch shows with terrible acting)
  68. Dec 6, 2012
    Revolution has a good storyline, its been developed well. I just believe its not a "must watch" T.V series. But I'm pleased that the main cast has the potential to make the show work.
  69. Nov 22, 2013
    Starts off with promise, but dreadfully drawn out with unbelievably repeated confrontations between main rival characters (one of which would have killed the other on the second confrontation). Childish flaws in the most obvious of scenarios. I am not even going to talk about all the technology springing to life after being idle for yrs (it wouldnt). Endless sword fights, because there is no ammo (when was electricity required to make munitions?)
    The writers of this are hopelessly inept.
    The actors, bless em, have put a good effort into what has turned into the most boring repetitive sci-fi show in a long time and they deserve better parts in future for keeping professionally to contract and not jumping ship.
    i have watched 22 episodes of this electricless soap, and remain uncharged.
    Utter RUBBISH! 2 out of 10.
    And the reviewer who said this was better than Falling Skies must be smoking dried magic mushrooms.
  70. Feb 24, 2013
    I don't love the show, just because the plot seems rushed and there's too much stuff going on at the same time. Random power sources can sometimes seem to be a little bit more common than they should be in a world without power. I have to give it credit though for having an interesting concept with a realistic post apocalyptic setting.
  71. Jan 9, 2013
    Just as I started thinking episode 1 was going to be a great show then it happened. In walks the leader of some army unit pulls up with the good old african american leader. Anybody ever notice how tv shows movies and even commercials always have him as the boss or the general or manager, etc?
    Sorry but if all help broke lose there would be no such authority in this circumstance.
    Any
    way, I will not be watching this show. Expand
  72. Jan 16, 2013
    The whole premise of this show is a joke. The idea is interesting, but the premise of the "lights going out" is just stupid. You could tell from the previews this was a stinker. Crossbows? really? No ammo around for guns? Crossbows are so readily available too. No power and all the stars look freshly showered and dressed. They must live near a mall eh? There are alternate power sources like generators, solar, wind, hydro, etc. Are people too stupid to figure this out? Now they should have done something like this where a solar storm knocked out all the power on earth or an EMP maybe....but I'm not suspending my disbelief for crap like this. Expand
  73. May 21, 2013
    Overall the show is solid. Many of the criticisms regarding the main cast are harsh but not completely unfounded. Often times it takes the cast more than one season do develop the strong onscreen chemistry, like The X-Files. Points lost for the useless story line that centered around Danny and because I feel the writers pushed toward getting the power back too early in the story line. It leads me to believe that they did not have faith in the show beyond 1 season. Expand
  74. Mar 11, 2013
    Revolution is a really an under rated show, it's one of the best shows there is. J.J. Abrams is one of best producers for Science fiction shows in the world.
  75. Mar 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really like this show and am a bit surprised by all of the negativity I'm seeing in these comments. I'm a sucker for dystopian-type stories, though, so maybe my overall excitement for a dystopian TV show allows me to overlook plot inconsistencies, not the greatest but definitely not the worst acting, etc. Also, I watched Lost and that show was had enough confusing plot lines and unanswered questions to write a full-length book (and someone probably has, I'd wager). Anyway, if you're into dystopian settings and can overlook some inconsistencies to see the overarching story (the forest through the trees kind of deal), then I think Revolution is worth taking a good look at. I know I'll be tuning in each week and hopefully for a while longer! Though, I have to say (HERE COMES THE SPOILER), I wish they hadn't killed Danny. That didn't seem entirely necessary to me. Though I guess Rachel (aka Juliet, one of my favorite Losties) needed to dig whatever that device was out of his stomach..... Expand
  76. Mar 30, 2013
    So much wasted potential!!! God awful acting, mediocre script and irritatingly melodramatic soundtrack. Don't waste your time on this one folks, total and utter let down.
  77. Apr 6, 2013
    The idea of the show had a great deal of promise. However after watching 2 and a half excruciatingly embarrassing episodes, I've had to turn off as it is so, so bad. Terrible acting, woeful script, unbelievably poor storyline and to top it off mushy patriotic US of A sentiment thrown in! How does absolute tosh like this ever get the funding to see the light of day? It's totally beyond me! Avoid, it's absolute drivel of the highest order!!!!! Expand
  78. Apr 8, 2013
    This show has me conflicted, I'm intrigued by the idea of a post apocalyptic world that doesn't require mass extinction or a nuclear wasteland. It allows for a less bleak setting away from the radioactive smog and roaming bands of cannibalistic marauders you expect from films like "Book of Eli". It allows for a more reasonable society and one that can accommodate a broader range of characters and provide a lighter tone from time to time. BUT there are a number of examples of bad story telling, cheap set design and horrible direction that really bring it down

1. The Premise: I love the idea of a heavily populated post apocalyptia that avoids all the horrifying stereotypes but asking the viewer to simply accept that "Physics went crazy" is more than a little unreasonable, particularly as an explanation would have to address why engines and generators and other small bits of machinery don't work but yet firearms do.

2. Inconsistency: We're lead to believe that firearms have been stockpiled by the militia and we have seen proof that they remain unaffected by the "event" and yet the militia roams around with swords and flint lock rifles. Let's ignore for a second the idea that a 350 year old firearm is not only still functioning but is in fact the weapon of choice in 2028 and go straight to the fact that as I mentioned the Militia is said to ruthlessly stockpile guns yet they outfit their soldiers tasked with the most important mission of all with a sword each and two guys carrying guns that last saw action against the red coats....

3. Art Direction
    This is perhaps my biggest complaint because it stops you from becoming immersed in the world they have created. A fictional world HAS to draw you in, a perfect example of doing this right is Walking Dead where everyone looks grubby and sweaty and unclean in keeping with their environment. In Revolution everything is too bright and beautiful and clean. The men all walk around in pristine fitted shirts that look like they have just been ironed and the main girl is still sporting the salon quality curls in her hair that have survived 3 or 4 nights sleeping rough. These are simply bad decisions and really mar the experience. Someone chose beauty over realism in a programme about a bleak and scary future, it is a stupid marketing choice aimed at drawing in the simple masses who like to stare at pretty things and it makes it impossible to engage with the environment in any real way. Beyond that the sets themselves look rushed as though a couple of shoots of ivy will depict 15 years of neglect.

DESPITE all that, it is somehow entertaining to watch and if you can get past the glaring reminders that you are watching actors in a studio and forgive the logical absurdities and the cliches then there might just be enough here to justify your time.
  79. Apr 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. “The show started out amazing. Technology is gone, refrigerators, computers, cars with onboard computers, etc. The typical EM pulse effect. ------------

Then the show featured other technology not working, like anything without an integrated circuit such as just about any car before the mid sixties (roughly), older tube radios, and so on.----------

You figure out before the enormous break in programming between December and March that the whole crisis was manmade. What would affect things not normally taken out by a EM pulse, or maintain that effect I and many others I talked to were growing more and more curious. Not so much a scientific "Hmmm" but more of a "Ok, there had better be a good explanation for this!" And even in the story the computer geek even alludes to how the older technology SHOULD be working.----------

So in the meantime mankind spend their time civil war re-enacting. No seriously! The American taxpayer (and other countries) have spent trillions to stockpile the support for a military support for several hundred thousand soldiers, but apparently warehouses and warehouses full of military surplus is nothing compared to Civil War era tents and equipment.--------

Of course semi-automatic weapons are seen to be available. Even a Helicopter that they later get working. Some have theorized giving the soldiers black powder guns is to keep some of the better tech from falling into rebellion hands. That is plausible.--------

They got a train working. That was cool. In that episode they also showed a working printing press. To matter the fact they show a working town, and at the end of the train ride, a working train station. Later we see a family in a comfy house with candles. If they had really thought about it they would have had music playing on a record player that was purely mechanical.--------

And this part of the story I'm good with. LIFE WOULD GO ON WITHOUT ELECTRICITY. Peocomplain about new clothes, about the people looking like they are bathed but I believe fifteen years later commerce would resume. All we would need to do is go into a library (written published books on paper) and there is enormous information on how to do everyday life activities without electricity. Soap can be easily made, and textiles and sewing machines operated on steam or hand crank for a lot longer than they have with electricity.--------

And here is another thing, government collapsing is the wishful thinking of those that are deeply in debt. "Oh life sucks, but when the zombie apocalypse happens..." Not that simple. I saw the attitude at Y2K, and other times since. What do I believe? Government would find a way to operate. One thing is for sure, just like in colonial times they would start with the capital and work to get information out from there. Might take a while to get lines of communication open from the east to west coast, but it would happen.--------

What did we have before electricity and computers? Paper and manual typewriters. Would telegraph be tool complex in this crisis? Don't know. Failing that, pony express? Train? We have a railway system that feeds all of America and I know other countries have that as well.--------

The whole concept of no ships continuing commerce across the Atlantic is a crock. More ships could be built. There are plenty of blueprints on how to build sailing ships. Again, life would go on. You would have commerce, you would have business, and people trying to make a buck in whatever currency existed.-------

As you can see, I am fascinated by this show, but only gave this show a three? Yeh, sadly, I got tired of seeing the heroes LOOSE EVERY EPISODE. Billy Burk was the main saving throw in the Twilight Movies for me, and he is in this series as well. He knows what to do. The other characters counters what he knows he has to do, and I hate to say they have rarely been right.-------

With every episode I would say to my wife with less and less enthusiasm "let's see how the heroes loose tonight."-------

Then the show had their final episode in December. The bad guys, despite Burk's character ideas and every objection, got the medallion that negates the "B.S. Anti-Tech/Anti-Intelligence field". But we were given flashes that the good guys build this power too. But if both factions have the same power, aren't they back to where they were before? And the heroes were not doing too well before.-------

However, as a consolation prize, the brother was rescued.-------

Actually never mind, they came back in March, and the brother is killed. And the possible romantic interest for the blond also killed. AND SO THE HEROES CONTINUE TO LOOSE.-------

Ugg... and that is where my wife and I got off this train.--------

Someday I will do what I always do when I am curious about a movie or show but don't care to watch it. I'll read the spoilers on the internet later.
  80. Apr 9, 2013
    The comeback of the show was great and the episodes are getting better and bloodier, I think the show needs another great tv actor to attracts more viewers.Idea is fantastic and i just hope the show will be with us at least a few more years!
  81. Apr 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Ok i have read many many many of the reviews that people have posted and i want you to think about this, you compare a gun to an engine, most engines are more than just simply controlled explosions unless you are talking about the first initial style of engines like steam, which if you would watch more than 1 or 2 episodes you would see they use and obviously work, they are not so simple. Modern day engines have computers controlling every function carefully regulating the impute and output and that aside you still need to generate a spark, and your battery gives you that initial spark and alternator keeps the power flowing without that you have nothing. Now look at a gun there is NOTHING electronic in it, a bullet contains a primer powder and bullet as simply as can be put, all guns operate on the same premise a hammer strikes a firing pin that strikes the primer and that ignites the powder. Nothing electronic at all.

As for the one militia controlling the entire united states, yet again if you would watch more than one episode you would see that there are many militias and the Monroe militia is only controlling part of the country.

"Physics went mad" that was not an explanation this was someone who didnt understand what went wrong and was trying to put some meaning to it. The more of the show you watch the more is revealed.

So please before you try and bash a show think about what you are saying and if you gave it a fair shake, one episode maybe two not enough shows have to develop, things that are said at the start that may not make sense to you, but later on you understand, without these plot developments there would be no buildup and without buildup and actual conflict and resolutions you cannot have a functioning form of entertainment
  82. CFM
    Aug 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers. The first episode started well, then it went downhill. The power has gone off, why? One man can only answer this but he has just been shoot. His son, Danny has been kidnapped. Enter his sister, uncle Miles, his mother a bunch other misfits to rescue him. Spend months wondering a round forests, as the poor weak Danny tries to survive his captives. Finally, rescued from the baddies he is shot and dies. Thank God! You have to give credit to the writers because no-one is off limits and they knew killing off Danny was a great idea because, put it this way, the series was on the road to being a dud. Finally, after 9 episodes we start to get a series that has a plot and story line that is of interest. It is a pity because the second half is entertaining but you wonder how many people have already switched off by this point?
    If you can get through the first half of the series you may find something of interest.
  83. Apr 17, 2013
    I am in the uk and have been watching this series on sky, I was looking forward to this excellent story idea !
    but i couldn't believe how terrible the realisation is. The acting, plot, dialogue and characters are amateur and bewildering this is drivel better to listen to a podcast with a dystopian theme.
  84. Apr 24, 2013
    One of the most gripping American TV shows in Britain. But I really struggle with the characters, due to the shifts in different character plots. But overall the show is brilliant. Definitely worth watching.
  85. Apr 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. La idea posapocaliptica esta trillada hoy por hoy, si a esto sumamos guiones flojos si es que no improvisan) decorados inexistentes siempre en el bosque) y malas actuaciones ,con actores que no transmiten en absoluto la desesperacion que deberia significar vivir al filo de la navaja entre mercenarios y bandidos nos encontramos con la peor serie creada en el ultimo año. Vestuario de zara en un mundo que por 15 años no ha tenido electricidad, acompañados de espadas al estilo epoca feudal,,,,,
    En fin HORRIBLE
  86. Jun 11, 2013
    I honestly, really don't know what to do with this show. They keep hitting us with plot twists and MIND-BLOWING storylines that make you yell out "Oh My God that did not just happen" at each ending of a weekly episode. It's storyline is rich, it's pinch of sense of humor is a charm, and I believe the acting could be better by Elizabeth, Tracy, Zak. Well because you never get through a scene without seeing Elizabeth crying. You never get through a scene where Zak doesn't have that "what on earth is going on?" look. And Tracy is just so ambitious which is one day going to make her fans hate her, however I really praise Billy Burke. Hands down, best NEW show of the season. Expand
  87. Apr 29, 2013
    Really wanted to like this show, but I can't. Bad acting and awful dialog is a bad combination. Add in some fairly generically cheesy action scenes and the whole thing is painful to watch. I guess since the lead has really pretty eyes we are supposed to forgive the drivel coming out of her mouth?

Everyone in this show looks like they just stepped out of a mail order catalog. How is
    that possible if there is no power and no modern machinery? In 15 years not one person got a rip or tear in a piece of clothing? Nobody had a hole in their shoes? Ever? Not one person is wearing anything that looks home made.

Where did all the swords come from? Blacksmithing is a fairly rare profession in 21st century America. Someone managed to setup a forge and make beautiful swords? Where is the steel coming from? Who is teaching all these people to fight with swords? Swords were always the weapon of the aristocracy. They are expensive and difficult to make, and learning to fight with one takes a lot of time and effort. Spears and makeshift pole-arms would be much more common weapons. They are much easier to make, and much, much, much easier to learn to defend yourself with.

Even if there is no electricity why are there no internal combustion engines? Ok, gasoline is a problem in the long term, but if 99+% of the devices using gasoline are out of commission the existing supply should last a little while. There are plenty of pieces lying around that someone should be able to cobble together a few working automobiles for any community.

Even if you are going to wave your magic plot-device wand and say internal combustion engines don't work for some reason, you want me to believe not one person has managed to build a working steam engine? A boiler and some moving parts is somehow rendered impossible by whatever catastrophe happened?

Too many problems with this show, and not one thing I can think of to keep me watching. Sad effort by everyone involved.
  88. Oct 6, 2013
    one of the stupidest shows on TV right now. first off the acting is absolutely horrible and most of the characters are extremely annoying. second the concept is retarded for a tv show and its obvious these people had no idea what they were doing.
  89. May 27, 2013
    Great story line, show, and characters. It brings happiness to an otherwise dreadful Monday. It's a great action show and a show that NBC was in need of.
  90. Jun 5, 2013
    I Generally think this show is brilliant.

Great idea & much more to come.

1 main point is that it is a very open idea for a show which may lead to all sorts of outcomes.

Graphics of this show are amazing aswell
  91. Oct 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Miles gets taken and tied up by Monroe gets taken and tied up by Both escape and kill (number of their captors). Fill in the blanks, and you've got any given episode of Revolution. Expand
  92. Jun 6, 2013
    Keep watching--it gets much better.

The first half of the season for this initially promising-sounding series was, in a word, terrible. It basically had two modes--maudlin or implausible. I almost gave up on it many times, but there were hints of something lurking under all the melodrama and triteness that kept me hanging on, hoping.

Then... after the mid-season hiatus, it finally
    started to get its legs. It took a while--they had to kill off some characters, retool the story arc, start to concentrate on the more interesting elements while reducing the eye rolling silliness (not all gone yet, sadly, but getting there).

With the last 5 or 6 episodes its started to realize some of its potential. It's been pared down to a very violent, action packed dystopian science fiction drama that, yeah, still can't quite get past relying on silly things to move the plot along. But the bones are there--an America carved into warring territories using 19th century tech, mysterious nano-bots, rail guns, power pendents, secret military bases. And happily, a finale that implies they're switching things up--alliances have shifted, goals have changed, and a nice WTF moment at the tail end. It should be very interesting to see where it goes.

I'm glad I held on.

PS Neville's comment to Monroe about me fall off my chair. I took that as a sign the writers are having fun and getting comfortable with the characters and material. I'm hopeful that means things will only get better.
  93. Jun 14, 2013
    A good show overall. The first 10 episodes are pretty average, but the last 10 episodes are really great and much much better than the first half.
    And with the second season being confirmed, I would highly advise to see it.
  94. Jul 13, 2013
    Poor execution of an interesting premise. I love sci-fi and dystopia, so thought this one would be a safe bet. The show starts with some promise, but wooden acting, awful dialog and increasingly unbelievable characterisation and plot lines make this one to miss.
  95. Aug 24, 2013
    The first episode was predictable and slow, It didn't grab you by the throat, but it was a good idea, maybe for a different time, good try NBC. As for entertainment goes, it was not there. Just something, about it, made it dull. I see here it's not worth watching more.
  96. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pretty bad. Characters keep commenting on how well Charlie does in off-screen fights, but all of her action sequences involve her being helpless and someone saving her. All of the characters are unrealistic and are hard to form a connection with except for Aaron; the one believable character who isn't even needed to advance the plot. Monroe obsession with Miles is almost homo erotic. Jason character could be good if he would man up and take out his dad. All main ncharacter motivations are extremely farfetched. Supporting/cameo characters actually have meaningful and believable actions/responses. And ENOUGH with the flashbacks. Just do a prequel season or something. The premise of the show was so good, but got bogged down with love stories and meaningless flashbacks that are made to make the viewer care about the characters, but utterly fail. Focusing less on saving the world and more on day to day survival would make this much more watchable. Expand
  97. Sep 11, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This show had potential and it showed, but the execution of this was horrific. Not to mention some of the acting is just terrible. Tracy Spiridakos, or Charlie is an example of the acting going downhill. The most notable scene where her acting tanks is in the trailers where she asks Billy Burke, Miles, to help her look for her brother. Because her acting acts when it matters the most, I don't really believe the stuff they are trying to achieve.

Beware of spoilers from here on in.
    Now, I can personally forgive terrible acting if the story is good. But, unfortunately, the story is a mess. The concept was full of potential than it got stabbed 37 times in the chest and left to die in the forest. Fifteen years before the official arc of the story, an even called the blackout happened, electricity seem to disappear as soon as a current is formed. For some unexplained reason, the United States fell from this even though they have enough men to send orders by horse-back to their military bases, but if the government didn't fall, we won't have this series. And so, a hand full of nations rose to power, one of them is the Monroe Republic.

Here is plot hole number one: why does Charlie NOT know Miles was the general of the militia?! Here is the convenience to help explain that away: her village was isolated so she never really heard much of the militia or the Republic. I swear, these conveniences ruin the series for me as the writers couldn't write their way out of a giant paper bag.

It seems the fate of every person in this series is determined by the writing gods. It seems every time the main characters are faced with a life or death fire fight, they seem to kill everyone and leave without a scratch. The only time they die or get injured is when the script calls for it or a sad attempt to make it believable. "Oh look, they haven't been injured in a while, we better hit them with a bullet now." The best example with this is the attempted assassination of President Monroe, Jeremy doesn't get hit, but the four men surrounding him does. This is to move the plot along, with failed attempts at emotion.

Not only the father-daughter relationship between Miles and Charlie is unbelievable because of the acting on Tracy's side, it is also because of the lack of character development. Relationships pop out of the writer's asses. Jason and Charlie met in one of the first episodes, exchanged a couple of dialog than, he becomes a protective love sick puppy of Charlie. There is no reason for this so called love. There is none and there is no reason for it existing. It seems contrived like every relationship in this series. Miles and Nora, Miles and Rachel, Aaron and his wife, Miles and Monroe. We are always slapped with an underdeveloped situation with a quick sequence of why these relationships exist. Are we suppose to take these to heart, because there was no heart in any of them. Half way through the series I had forgotten who Maggie was. I am sure I'm going to forget Nora when season 2 comes.

Contrived, convenient situations with no emotional backing. What's next for this nonsensical plot? Yeah, they kill off Danny, eliminating the whole point of the "saving Danny" arc. What they should done is to skip the whole saving Danny thing to begin with as it never mattered to me to begin with. Remember, as the characters are one-dimensional cardboard I didn't care for Danny.

The whole "mystery" aura of the series actually works against them regarding Miles and Monroe. You are waiting to see what went wrong with their bromance and they possibly never even shown the tipping point yet. From what I can tell, this is another convenient point in the story as Miles never talked to Monroe about his troubles about him. Once he sensed Monroe was going too far, he just decides he wants to kill him. If you care for someone that much, especially when you're guilty of some of those atrocities yourself, can't you just talk it over?

The thing with Randall Flynn, omg. He was working with the USA all along and was planning to destroy both Monroe and Georgia to make way for the government to come back. If all he needed to do was that, WHY ON EARTH DID HE GO TO MONROE IN THE FIRST PLACE? All that he had to do was to go to level 12 and launch the nukes. Than Monroe and Rachel won't have ever have got in. What about the Moe people? Don't worry about them, they can't hit stuff for their life and they let main antagonists go as Flynn CONVENIENTLY sneaks pass them to the launch room.

Despite it all and more, I want to see what happens next. It is not a good show by any standard but, I'm interested to see what happens next. Like the majorly flawed shows like The Event and Terra Nova, they had good concepts, horrible execution, no emotion, yet the events that unfold are what hooks you. A war between two nations without power, but Monroe has working fighter drones. Not that I care about anything involving the characters, but I want to see what happens.
  98. Sep 13, 2013
    Not a horrible 'concept' for a television show, and has its moments. However, the acting is absolutely dreadful and the situational story lines are far fetched in their best moments. In short, very difficult to watch a whole episode without rolling your eyes a bit as yet another conveniently loose bolt frees your hero from near death situation once again. Sure are a lot of loose bolts in post apocalyptic Illinois huh? Two of them in the first four episodes. That is my warning to you. If lazy cliched action adventure writing and poor carpentry is your thing. This is the show for you. Expand
  99. Sep 17, 2013
    i have watched every episode and can't wait until season 2. this show has really captured my attention! Eric Kripke keep up the good work and go on like NCIS.
  100. Oct 17, 2013
    Characters were very annoying and forced, and the story line was pretty terrible. It felt like a B-movie smeared over a long period of time and it was a massive anti-climax when compared to what the adverts seemed to promise.

1. Reviewed by: David Hiltbrand
    Sep 24, 2012
    Revolution had better worry about generating some voltage of its own. The pilot was excellent, but where does it go from here?
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Sep 21, 2012
    This is well-produced, but it could just as well be Mission:Colonial. [1 Oct 2012, p.38]
  3. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson
    Sep 18, 2012
    On the bright side, no one is in danger of having to watch this inert action show.