• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 17, 2012
Season #: 1, 2
5.8

1. Sep 18, 2012
    I am simply amazed how it was possible to deconstruct the entire concept of the setting within barely 15 minutes. It is an insult to the viewer to just claim "physics went insane" and then just a few minutes down the road we are shown that most of the quintessential parts of technology are not also perfectly functional, but also that the characters are obviously too stupid to realize. IfI am simply amazed how it was possible to deconstruct the entire concept of the setting within barely 15 minutes. It is an insult to the viewer to just claim "physics went insane" and then just a few minutes down the road we are shown that most of the quintessential parts of technology are not also perfectly functional, but also that the characters are obviously too stupid to realize. If semi-automatic firearms work, engines work. Simple as that. Boiled down to the basics, an engine is nothing but a self-repeating series of controlled explosions. The simplest designs do not even need electricity to work, if you'd be forced to build them without. But all that does not even matter, because everything else is just as bad and inconsistent as the setting. The art department did a horrible job and most important items and settings do not look real and lived in at all. They look like a badly done set for a soap commercial. Wear and tear of 15 years forced partial neglect is used so badly and inconsistently on everything, that they might not have bothered with it at all. It is clear that the people responsible for the visual design have no talent of observation. That is quite common and always a problem, because who cannot observe and comprehend are doomed to get everything wrong. When you do not know how to look at things, you are missing all vital questions. Say there is an object. Say an airplane. Parked in exactly one spot for 15 years. If you have never seen anything similar, you will mess it up. And they did. Not just this but everything you actually pay attention to. Look too hard and it falls apart. Last but not least, the show suffers from a disease that is an increasing problem these days: Character lobotomy syndrome. The people inside the fictional word are so incredibly stupid and make such incredibly unacceptable and horrid mistakes in the most basic department, that it is implausible that they are alive at all. So the world is dangerous? Really? A lot?! So you fenced in a village but nobody was smart enough ever to bother with any actual kind of sentries or a solid defense? Why are they still there? Did they get overlooked by everything bad for more than a decade? Simply impossible. They are either too stupid to still exist like they allegedly do, or everyone else who might have posed a problem is. Both ways, it adds up to a lot of stupid and incompetence for the setting. The show is a mess. Expand
  2. Oct 11, 2012
    I feel that this show is something that we have essentially seen before (Jericho, Lost). However I do like the relationships set up in the show. Billy Burke is a stand out performance and is an asset to the cast. The character of Charlie is annoying but I am definitely willing to give the show a chance because its been okay so far.
  3. Oct 12, 2012
    This show has an amazing concept but the creators and writers can't seem to utilize it properly. A few of the cast members are too bad at acting. I wonder what's the future of this show? Are they going to tell us what really happened or are they just going to do what the creators of Persons Unknown did? That's the one thing we need to think of.
  4. Feb 24, 2013
    I don't love the show, just because the plot seems rushed and there's too much stuff going on at the same time. Random power sources can sometimes seem to be a little bit more common than they should be in a world without power. I have to give it credit though for having an interesting concept with a realistic post apocalyptic setting.
  5. May 27, 2013
    Great story line, show, and characters. It brings happiness to an otherwise dreadful Monday. It's a great action show and a show that NBC was in need of.
  6. Aug 5, 2013
    Revolution is bad, really bad at times. The show suffers from the curse of its connections to Lost. The writers deliver some episodes of absolute dross, usually in the form of contrived tangents and side-quests to the character's main objectives, only to finish most episodes with some form of tiny reveal of the show's grand story, which the writers seemingly make up week by week.

The

The swashbuckling sword fighting nature of the show's early episodes give way to episodes loaded with some of the lamest, most repetitive gun fights ever, punctuated with characters of frustrating stupidity and tediousness. The main character Charlie (Tracy Spiridakos) is an annoyingly righteous, not to mention stupid, teenage girl in the Hunger Game mould, who repeatedly clashes with her self-serving, stylised bad guy Uncle as many times as she has to be rescued by him after more poor judgement. The writers clearly tried to make Miles (Billy Burke) the show's anti-hero, a womanising, boozing killer wrecked by his past indiscretions and the show would have been better if they would have stuck to their guns but they all too often give in because he's one of the good guys.

Revolution's single shining light (no pun intended) is Giancarlo Esposito's turn as Captain Tom Neville, easily the show's best character. That is all.

The similarities to Flashforward and Lost are all too obvious. The score, the flashbacks (actually more enjoyable than the present day action), the mysterious world changing event, the 'hatch' 'tower' are all borrowed with varying degrees of mediocrity.

At times watching Revolution I wished that the world's power would blackout to save me, I'll be skipping season two despite the slightly intriguing set-up in the finale. Another interesting concept from the J.J. Abrams stable (see Alcatraz) fails to live up to it's potential.
  7. Oct 24, 2013
    This I will admit almost lost me during the first few episodes, but the second half of the season was incredibly strong with tension, much more believable relationships between the actors, and a finale which tied up loose strings whilst blowing the show's concept wide open for future seasons. Elizabeth Mitchell is always watchable, and the others grew into their roles. The latter halfThis I will admit almost lost me during the first few episodes, but the second half of the season was incredibly strong with tension, much more believable relationships between the actors, and a finale which tied up loose strings whilst blowing the show's concept wide open for future seasons. Elizabeth Mitchell is always watchable, and the others grew into their roles. The latter half reminded me a little of the earlier seasons of Lost which in its earlier seasons I loved. Expand
  8. Apr 9, 2013
    The comeback of the show was great and the episodes are getting better and bloodier, I think the show needs another great tv actor to attracts more viewers.Idea is fantastic and i just hope the show will be with us at least a few more years!
  9. Jun 14, 2013
    A good show overall. The first 10 episodes are pretty average, but the last 10 episodes are really great and much much better than the first half.
    And with the second season being confirmed, I would highly advise to see it.
  10. Jun 14, 2013
    This show is slow and a cheesy poor story line. It feels overdone and forced. The original loss of power is cool, but everything else is bad. Action feels forced. And the twists and other stuff that happens feels like I already know it is coming an episode before.
  11. Sep 17, 2013
    i have watched every episode and can't wait until season 2. this show has really captured my attention! Eric Kripke keep up the good work and go on like NCIS.
  12. Oct 3, 2013
    Revolution: Evolving Backwards

Revolution: Evolving Backwards

It's obvious now that discerning viewers have been spoiled (and not a little surprised) by good television Drama writing in the last decade or so. It's like the Medium finally grew up and the enlightened realized that characters could be deeply explored; that complex plots could be provided with rich episodic exposition; that with good direction and scripts, personal histories and inference could explain hidden, subtle or conflicting motivations; that nuanced development, realistic propositions and believable protaganists framed within the "classic movie” framework, armed with huge multiples of fixed-time, could be raised to an art form.

With dramas such as The Wire, Six Feet Under, Breaking Bad, Band of Brothers, The Sopranos, Mad Men and even the Walking Dead and a handful of others raising the standard of storytelling, television is able to finally surpass the advantage of huge budgets in major feature films primarily by virtue of excellent writing alone. With viewers investing seasons and years into the "lives" of their favourite characters it's now obvious that when television is good, it can be really, really Good. But, there are always and, it seems, as seldom as not, imitators to those thrones, blatant knock-offs aplenty.

There are also the plain lazy. Bad writing and directing efforts, entire productions that "kind of get" the salient highlights of those inspirational pack leaders, but miss the point of exceptional TV entirely. Entirely.

This series Revolution reflects the Golden Age of Television. It really does. When drama writers and directors only had to fill a screen for 45 minutes of mindless, directionless, abstract action to attract advertisers. This series certainly must have looked good on paper once as a loose idea maybe. Not the way the actual script turned out...

Look: Apocalypse without those fusty, messy and unpredictable Undead beheaded to litter the landscape with, so comparatively low on the special effects bottom line. No questionable, nasty killings like those grubby, greedy gangsters trying to make a dirty buck. No heavy morality plays or transformation of characters to confound or unsettle the viewer, just Good or Evil writ large complete with mock SS uniforms. No clever art production to fuss over just find locations in states of decay, disrepair or neglect. Not too hard to find in the USA these days at all.

The Golden Age of TV was when there were simply no other options. Any plot hole, crap production value, inconsistencies, impossibly invincible heroes, rank stereo-typing and cliche was what viewers expected, generally got and rare was the exception indeed. No other options. Maybe as far back as before renting VHS tapes. Those days before surfing YouTube for sure and aside from Star Trek or The Twilight Zone it was all pretty…lacking and unimaginative. Yet people still watched even worse TV. Until certain groundbreaking series and whether that was Star Trek, The Twilight Zone, it’s just what TV was, in it’s Golden Age.

Revolution takes those same liberties. Big ones that glare like a cathode ray...

- The USA has been seemingly reduced to the size of Rhode Island as characters seem to traverse distances in hours.
    - It’s easy to find somebody in Chicago just walk onto the set.
    - Principals in t-shirts with no regard to weather or colder nights. A human can die of exposure at temperatures as high as 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Each has a smallish backpack supposedly containing: food, water, extra clothing, tools, explosives, wiring, fuses, shaving toiletries, hair and beauty products, blankets, utensils, etc.
    - Mature characters have not gained weight, scarred or added a wrinkle in 15 years. They look exactly the same as present day. One is still even morbidly obese after 15 years of foraging, “hunting” or eating canned food. His beard is the same length now, as is his and everyone else's hair. Most male characters that aren’t clean shaven merely have 5 o’clock shadows illustrating "duress and hardship".
    - Every character seemingly has a convenient hostage interest.
    - Each character is a stereotype. Either gloating, obvious Evil or a Good person with a conflicted, sketchy back story.
    - Acting is deplorable, sets are random, premise seemed interesting but proves ridiculous, characters flip flop and have questionable motives, explosions, art direction is virtually non-existent...

Oh forget it. I could go on and on with this series, I guess I’ll just be lazy too. Everyone seems to be running around in circles all the time or just making the same speeches every time they’re on camera. So little done with so much, every time one thinks or looks. For the viewer as well as the actors.

But you know, if this really was a Golden Age production there would be no blood at all. Which would seem quite appropriate for such a confused and bloodless series. I’m giving it 2/10 because I’m watching it as a Comedy and that’s just golden to me
  13. Oct 6, 2013
    I enjoyed this show. Maybe it's because I'm a fan of end-of-the-world kind of scenarios. Over the course of the season it was interesting, but I wasn't shocked by anything. It was quite basic storytelling. The acting was a little iffy so there's room for improvement there. Hopefully season two will be a lot better!
  14. Oct 7, 2013
    Great show, great characters, many twists. I am not a big science-fiction fan but Revolution is enough to keep me interested week to week. Yes, it isn't perfect, but it's sci-fi so not everything is going to be cohesive with reality.
  15. Oct 10, 2013
    Revolution is an action/adventure/survival show with a great premise. The power has been stolen from the world. Journey with a cast of likeable and strong characters as they fight to discover why and fix the problem. Aspects of the show that make it great television, are the fantastic movie worthy fight sequences, the original and clever science fiction elements, and lots of espionage andRevolution is an action/adventure/survival show with a great premise. The power has been stolen from the world. Journey with a cast of likeable and strong characters as they fight to discover why and fix the problem. Aspects of the show that make it great television, are the fantastic movie worthy fight sequences, the original and clever science fiction elements, and lots of espionage and betrayal. You don't need zombies to do a post apocalyptic show right. Expand
  16. Oct 17, 2013
    Characters were very annoying and forced, and the story line was pretty terrible. It felt like a B-movie smeared over a long period of time and it was a massive anti-climax when compared to what the adverts seemed to promise.
  17. Nov 2, 2013
    This started out awful but got better halfway through the season. It was so bad that it was hard to get to that point, though. I hope it keeps improving.
  18. Oct 11, 2014
    I was really excited to see this show. I loved the concept of technology going out, because we are so dependent on technology now. It would make everyone mad, but I wish they showed us a little of how people ended up killing themselves over the lack of technology before skipping ahead 15 years. I also wish the acting was better. The characters are really not relatable at all, either. Sure,I was really excited to see this show. I loved the concept of technology going out, because we are so dependent on technology now. It would make everyone mad, but I wish they showed us a little of how people ended up killing themselves over the lack of technology before skipping ahead 15 years. I also wish the acting was better. The characters are really not relatable at all, either. Sure, that one guy has asthma, but that is just a lame attempt to make him relatable. I love conspiracy sci fi shows, but this one was just too horrible. I am writing this review after only having watched half of the first episode. It was so bad, i had to stop watching. I'm going to try watching a few more, but I would NOT recommend this show Expand
  19. Nov 27, 2012
    This show has potential but is held back by bad planning and story line faux-pas. The characters are believable, and the situation one that makes for a good show. However the removal of characters after making them seem to be part of the main story, along with the fact that they seem to be getting nowhere as far as the main plot is concerned kind of turns me off.

Giving it a 7 so far,

Giving it a 7 so far, and hoping it gets better.
  20. Oct 16, 2012
    Ok I'm not gonna repeat what been said already... Read all the negative reviews because they are all spot on. What I will add though is.. With all the harsher living people have had to go through. It irks me no end that the young stars look like they came straight out of a Gap clothes store... And afterwards they must have visited a beauty salon... They look better than we do now.. IOk I'm not gonna repeat what been said already... Read all the negative reviews because they are all spot on. What I will add though is.. With all the harsher living people have had to go through. It irks me no end that the young stars look like they came straight out of a Gap clothes store... And afterwards they must have visited a beauty salon... They look better than we do now.. I give this 1 point for having a good idea and 1 point for Gus Fring.
    Sanitized kindergarten stuff.
  21. Nov 24, 2012
    It's probably a good, though not that great, post-apocalyptic series I've seen, the first since Jericho. The acting needs a bit improving and the characters I've yet to relate to. The only saving graces are the subject matter and the swordfight sequences. Too bad it'll be won't be back until sometime in March of next year. We'll see how it goes. I still have faith in J.J. Abrams though.
  22. Nov 30, 2012
    It's not the most intriguing pilot of the history, but Revolution bring good action, adventure and interesting elements of sci-fi. If you like this things that is your show, J.J. Abrams and Erik Kripke build whole new world without energy and control by milicias, definitely deserves a chance to have your attention.
  23. Dec 1, 2012
    The show's potential and ideas were handicapped by a poorly strung, contradicting plot and an often ridiculous dialogue. Yet for some odd reason I cant help but keep watching.
  24. Apr 6, 2013
    The idea of the show had a great deal of promise. However after watching 2 and a half excruciatingly embarrassing episodes, I've had to turn off as it is so, so bad. Terrible acting, woeful script, unbelievably poor storyline and to top it off mushy patriotic US of A sentiment thrown in! How does absolute tosh like this ever get the funding to see the light of day? It's totally beyond me!The idea of the show had a great deal of promise. However after watching 2 and a half excruciatingly embarrassing episodes, I've had to turn off as it is so, so bad. Terrible acting, woeful script, unbelievably poor storyline and to top it off mushy patriotic US of A sentiment thrown in! How does absolute tosh like this ever get the funding to see the light of day? It's totally beyond me! Avoid, it's absolute drivel of the highest order!!!!! Expand
  25. Oct 30, 2012
    I have given this show a fair shake but too much is too much -- or should I say too little is too little.

First, as has been noted, the acting leaves much to be desired. When the star, Tracy Spiridakos, has only two poses -- wooden Indian or stunned teenager, you are in trouble. I thought she might improve as she got accustomed to the role but no such luck. Second, even if one

Second, even if one could buy the basic premise about a sudden world-wide loss of power, it would be impossible to believe the lack of progress 15 years after the blackout. Power "disappeared" but the scientists didn't.

Third, as has been noted, there are too many ridiculous incongruities, as has been mentioned, like the permed hair and makeup.
  26. Nov 20, 2012
    The combination of Abrams and Kripke might be fantastic, but the pilot unfortunately was not. Yes, it's too early to tell and I'll be waiting a while to really make up my mind but from the pilot it doesn't look good. Wrong casting choices, too many plot-holes, stupid choices and alot of wooden acting. The premise seems OK so maybe with the introduction of new subplots and characters I willThe combination of Abrams and Kripke might be fantastic, but the pilot unfortunately was not. Yes, it's too early to tell and I'll be waiting a while to really make up my mind but from the pilot it doesn't look good. Wrong casting choices, too many plot-holes, stupid choices and alot of wooden acting. The premise seems OK so maybe with the introduction of new subplots and characters I will end up liking it. Expand
  27. Sep 17, 2012
    Premise is decent but lack post apocolyptic integrity. Why does it look like everyone has had a fresh shower and clean new clothes. Remember their is no running water for baths and washing clothes. All water has to be carried by hand. Scrub your clothes all you want, how clean do you think they will be.
  28. Sep 17, 2012
    The premise is fairly original and had intrigued me from the start and the sets, costumes, and lighting all looked wonderful! The show fell apart for me with the plot and acting. The characters were especially unbelievable, their motives were inconsistent and the acting was ridiculous. All-in-all it might have made a good book and it would have made a great show with different actors andThe premise is fairly original and had intrigued me from the start and the sets, costumes, and lighting all looked wonderful! The show fell apart for me with the plot and acting. The characters were especially unbelievable, their motives were inconsistent and the acting was ridiculous. All-in-all it might have made a good book and it would have made a great show with different actors and better dialogue but this isn't a show I will be looking forward to. Expand
  29. Oct 12, 2012
    I watched the first three episodes, but that's it for me. The writing was passable at first, but rapidly deteriorated into formula "damsel in distress" soap opera. I cannot sympathize with the main characters, whose actions are so stupid and counter-intuitive that any decent writer would have killed them off in episode one. And, of course, the central mysteries of "Revolution" aren'tI watched the first three episodes, but that's it for me. The writing was passable at first, but rapidly deteriorated into formula "damsel in distress" soap opera. I cannot sympathize with the main characters, whose actions are so stupid and counter-intuitive that any decent writer would have killed them off in episode one. And, of course, the central mysteries of "Revolution" aren't really that hard to figure out, are they?

One bright spot is Giancarlo Esposito, whom I remember fondly from "Breaking Bad" as one of my favorite villains of all time. This series could have been really good, but it has turned into a low budget version of "The Hunger Games" instead. Teens with bows and arrows has been done better -- a lot better.
  30. Mar 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really like this show and am a bit surprised by all of the negativity I'm seeing in these comments. I'm a sucker for dystopian-type stories, though, so maybe my overall excitement for a dystopian TV show allows me to overlook plot inconsistencies, not the greatest but definitely not the worst acting, etc. Also, I watched Lost and that show was had enough confusing plot lines and unanswered questions to write a full-length book (and someone probably has, I'd wager). Anyway, if you're into dystopian settings and can overlook some inconsistencies to see the overarching story (the forest through the trees kind of deal), then I think Revolution is worth taking a good look at. I know I'll be tuning in each week and hopefully for a while longer! Though, I have to say (HERE COMES THE SPOILER), I wish they hadn't killed Danny. That didn't seem entirely necessary to me. Though I guess Rachel (aka Juliet, one of my favorite Losties) needed to dig whatever that device was out of his stomach..... Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Hiltbrand
    Sep 24, 2012
    Revolution had better worry about generating some voltage of its own. The pilot was excellent, but where does it go from here?
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Sep 21, 2012
    This is well-produced, but it could just as well be Mission:Colonial. [1 Oct 2012, p.38]
  3. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson
    Sep 18, 2012
    On the bright side, no one is in danger of having to watch this inert action show.