• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 17, 2012
  • Season #: 1 , 2
5.9

1. Sep 18, 2012
    I am simply amazed how it was possible to deconstruct the entire concept of the setting within barely 15 minutes. It is an insult to the viewer to just claim "physics went insane" and then just a few minutes down the road we are shown that most of the quintessential parts of technology are not also perfectly functional, but also that the characters are obviously too stupid to realize. If semi-automatic firearms work, engines work. Simple as that. Boiled down to the basics, an engine is nothing but a self-repeating series of controlled explosions. The simplest designs do not even need electricity to work, if you'd be forced to build them without. But all that does not even matter, because everything else is just as bad and inconsistent as the setting. The art department did a horrible job and most important items and settings do not look real and lived in at all. They look like a badly done set for a soap commercial. Wear and tear of 15 years forced partial neglect is used so badly and inconsistently on everything, that they might not have bothered with it at all. It is clear that the people responsible for the visual design have no talent of observation. That is quite common and always a problem, because who cannot observe and comprehend are doomed to get everything wrong. When you do not know how to look at things, you are missing all vital questions. Say there is an object. Say an airplane. Parked in exactly one spot for 15 years. If you have never seen anything similar, you will mess it up. And they did. Not just this but everything you actually pay attention to. Look too hard and it falls apart. Last but not least, the show suffers from a disease that is an increasing problem these days: Character lobotomy syndrome. The people inside the fictional word are so incredibly stupid and make such incredibly unacceptable and horrid mistakes in the most basic department, that it is implausible that they are alive at all. So the world is dangerous? Really? A lot?! So you fenced in a village but nobody was smart enough ever to bother with any actual kind of sentries or a solid defense? Why are they still there? Did they get overlooked by everything bad for more than a decade? Simply impossible. They are either too stupid to still exist like they allegedly do, or everyone else who might have posed a problem is. Both ways, it adds up to a lot of stupid and incompetence for the setting. The show is a mess. Expand
  2. Sep 17, 2012
    The premise is fairly original and had intrigued me from the start and the sets, costumes, and lighting all looked wonderful! The show fell apart for me with the plot and acting. The characters were especially unbelievable, their motives were inconsistent and the acting was ridiculous. All-in-all it might have made a good book and it would have made a great show with different actors and better dialogue but this isn't a show I will be looking forward to. Expand
  3. Oct 30, 2012
    I have given this show a fair shake but too much is too much -- or should I say too little is too little.

First, as has been noted, the acting leaves much to be desired. When the star, Tracy Spiridakos, has only two poses -- wooden Indian or stunned teenager, you are in trouble. I thought she might improve as she got accustomed to the role but no such luck.

Second, even if one
    could buy the basic premise about a sudden world-wide loss of power, it would be impossible to believe the lack of progress 15 years after the blackout. Power "disappeared" but the scientists didn't.

Third, as has been noted, there are too many ridiculous incongruities, as has been mentioned, like the permed hair and makeup.
  4. Sep 18, 2012
    Pathetic writing and acting almost as bad. More wholes in the storyline than swiss cheese. The collapse of physics? Give me a break. Who writes this stuff - two year olds?
  5. Sep 17, 2012
    The plot potential is there. Unfortunately the acting and overall nuances are a little less Lost and a little more Terra Nova. But hey, it's a pilot... and this show can potentially be what we Lost lover's have been waiting to see again.
  6. Oct 16, 2012
    Ok I'm not gonna repeat what been said already... Read all the negative reviews because they are all spot on. What I will add though is.. With all the harsher living people have had to go through. It irks me no end that the young stars look like they came straight out of a Gap clothes store... And afterwards they must have visited a beauty salon... They look better than we do now.. I give this 1 point for having a good idea and 1 point for Gus Fring.
    Sanitized kindergarten stuff.
  7. Nov 20, 2012
    The combination of Abrams and Kripke might be fantastic, but the pilot unfortunately was not. Yes, it's too early to tell and I'll be waiting a while to really make up my mind but from the pilot it doesn't look good. Wrong casting choices, too many plot-holes, stupid choices and alot of wooden acting. The premise seems OK so maybe with the introduction of new subplots and characters I will end up liking it. Expand
  8. Sep 17, 2012
    Whith acting that bad the women need bigger **** The writing especially the dialog is really so bad. I guess I should give the acting a little credit. If you want to waste your time watch this show.
  9. Sep 17, 2012
    Premise is decent but lack post apocolyptic integrity. Why does it look like everyone has had a fresh shower and clean new clothes. Remember their is no running water for baths and washing clothes. All water has to be carried by hand. Scrub your clothes all you want, how clean do you think they will be.
  10. Sep 27, 2012
    This show is awful for several fundamental reasons. 1 - The premise is ridiculous: "Physics went crazy, engines stopped working" - right, so engines (which are based on a controlled series of explosions) don't work, but guns do. The only thing this show does consistently is contradict the paper thin premise. 2 - It doesn't look post-apocalyptic. Everyone wears clean clothes, looks freshly showered and behave as if the whole thing is an extended camping trip. In the first episode, a small community doesn't even adequately defend itself in a world where armed gangs are rampaging and brutalizing those who can't defend themselves. If this were to really happen, lone communities would need to be armed to the teeth and hyper vigilant. Just look at current-day Somalia for an idea of what this SHOULD look like. 3 - The action scenes are terrible. Too many rapid cuts to different angles don't show a good fight scene - they just confuse what is a poorly-choreographed fight. 4 - A magic little USB device somehow powers a computer - which supposedly no longer works - AND somehow transmits a message to another computer who knows how far away. 5 - The acting isn't even remotely convincing. Enough said there. Conclusion - The whole show is just typical garbage made by some studio execs in Hollywood which are so out of touch its laughable. Expand
  11. Nov 27, 2012
    This show has potential but is held back by bad planning and story line faux-pas. The characters are believable, and the situation one that makes for a good show. However the removal of characters after making them seem to be part of the main story, along with the fact that they seem to be getting nowhere as far as the main plot is concerned kind of turns me off.

Giving it a 7 so far,
    and hoping it gets better. Expand
  12. Sep 19, 2012
    This show is so sorely written, and formulaic that it begs the question "Has network narrative finally died?" The pacing of the show is so off and the characters have left me starving for some kind of development. I just really dont understand why these show's get green lit. There's one part where a girl has a flash back (JJ and his flash backs) and shes eating ice cream. Like its the last time Ice cream was ever going to exist because power went out. ICE CREAM HAS BEEN AROUND FOR WAY LONGER THAN THE MODERN USE OF ELECTRICITY. Apparently the writers are so brain dead and wrapped up in their idevices they forgot to be intelligent. A waist of time. Expand
  13. OMM
    Sep 20, 2012
    Revolution had promise until the first show aired. After which it was an hour of sloppy writing, poor acting, and just overall uninteresting. But then again its' on NBC, so if was my fault for expecting a good show.
  14. Oct 12, 2012
    I watched the first three episodes, but that's it for me. The writing was passable at first, but rapidly deteriorated into formula "damsel in distress" soap opera. I cannot sympathize with the main characters, whose actions are so stupid and counter-intuitive that any decent writer would have killed them off in episode one. And, of course, the central mysteries of "Revolution" aren't really that hard to figure out, are they?

One bright spot is Giancarlo Esposito, whom I remember fondly from "Breaking Bad" as one of my favorite villains of all time. This series could have been really good, but it has turned into a low budget version of "The Hunger Games" instead. Teens with bows and arrows has been done better -- a lot better.
  15. Sep 26, 2012
    The premise isn't very original. It doesn't hold a candle to the apocalyptic show The Walking Dead but it definitely beats out Falling Skies. Overall, this show as the potential to be something great. Let's hope they don't screw it up.
  16. Sep 17, 2012
    Just watched the pilot episode for REVOLUTION: its intriguing, and there's certainly plenty of potential for the show: we'll just have to see where the writers and producers take it.
  17. Sep 17, 2012
    Agree all the way with Fortius, and so many holes, this looks so amateurish for the likes of JJ Abrams and Jon Favreau to be on board with production. I mean swords really, they don't even explain the weaponry or world, and lousy screenplay here and there. I felt they underplayed the Father's death which you can clearly see in the trailer or previews so no spoiler there. But, seriously felt they didn't capture my attention enough. Like Fortius said, the premise was so promising, and I was excited for some sort of Heroes/Lost, but acting is choppy and cheesy as well. What a bummer! Still going to watch probably. But what a disappointment. I think I am going to start screen play writing, and scriptwriting, and may switch my career to join hollywood soon, seriously, with the impact i think I could make, I can certainly create a better pilot myself. Expand
  18. Sep 22, 2012
    A show set in an apocalyptic world sure seems pretty innocent and clean to me. The only people who look like they actually fought to survive the anarchy and chaos that inevitably ensued are the "bad" guys. If something like that actually happened you would not survive without having to do some horrible things. But this show pretends everyone is living peacefully and there are still ignorance about what is going on. Also the main characters are always clean with fancy clothes. Strange. And the two younger male actors are terrible. You can tell the minute they come on screen because they have skin tight t-shirts and somehow look even cleaner than the rest. I don't get why they cast people like that when they can clearly not act. Expand
  19. Sep 26, 2012
    Halfway through the second episode and I already find myself hoping Charlie is killed off quickly. I would be hard pressed to find a less sympathetic and less organic protagonist in any form of fiction.

The dialogue trots along at a snails pace, as if the show was tailored to 5 year old children with barely a grasp on language. When it doesn't feel forced it becomes predictable and
    absolutely unnecessary.

The concept, while certainly interesting, is completely lost in the emotional trite and unnecessary scenes. Two episodes in and I'm still not quite sure why I should keep watching. Yes, electricity stopped working, now what? The protagonists do absolutely nothing to move the plot forwards, opting instead to search for an abducted brother, but even that doesn't seem to go anywhere.

Whoever is responsible for this mess of a TV show should be ashamed. The scenery and costumes work very well with the concept and it LOOKS good, but beyond that shimmer of artistic integrity there is nothing which could compel a viewer to watch this.
  20. Sep 26, 2012
    So the lights have been out for 15 years.... Amazing how the irons still work as there was not a clothing wrinkle in sight and so must the curling irons! Not to mention that you walk into Chicago and the firs place you visit there's the guy who you're looking for... Wow! Great premise, terrible execution.
  21. Sep 27, 2012
    Acting needs to improve but there's too much talent working on this show for it not to be good. I'm predicting it'll become a solid show by episode five.
  22. Oct 4, 2012
    Reminds me a bit of Jericho, which was also slow to start, had iffy acting at first, but I wound up loving. I'm going to give this a few more weeks (currently 3 eps only) and see where it goes. Lots of potential and I'm interested to see how they bring things together and still hopefully keep the action elements in there.
  23. Sep 17, 2012
    The pilot was really boring,if you have seen the trailer you don´t need to watch the pilot because there is nothing more.In my opinion it very similar to "Terra nova" and i really doubt they will make more than two seasons.I didn´t like how they introduce the main characters,the story is very predictable ...just as terra nova.
  24. Sep 17, 2012
    The best new show since "Touch". Revolution is a great post apocalyptic show that is almost as good as "The Walking Dead". Anyone and everyone who loves to see some violence, see some plot twists, see some action, and see a very good show should catch Revolution.
  25. Sep 21, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This show is something special. You got a post-apocalyptic scenario revolving around "physics going insane" which is already a auspicious start to something terrible. Now we know that the main character's family knows about this "event" possibility yet they are completely unprepared for it other than a magic USB key and a box of food and filling their tubs with water. It doesn't take a genius to prepare for something so big you know is coming.

They then time skip an arbitrary 15 years into the future where apparently plants suddenly grew at an insanely fast rate and over grew every city in the world. Not to mention they claim engines, jet turbines, batteries, etc... stopped working forever. Hold that thought because a lot of engines work without electronics and I saw candles, fire, and gunpowder so why can't you burn said things inside a cylinder. Apparently because "physics" went insane.

Then they contradict themselves in the trailer with a computer clearly being powered by the magic USB key and a bunch of batteries? Not to mention they don't even bother plugging wires into the computer so the old school keyboard is apparently wireless, also the monitor as well, and modem. Wait modem how does that even work if power doesn't work. Phones still have power???

Then onto the selection of weapons we got everything from 1800 to pre-modern weaponry which is strange because in 15 years all modern firearms apparently became so rare no one has many of them even though there are millions of them in the states alone and billions of bullets to use. Finally if physics went insane then why is life not affected by it. Physics applies to everything without regard for if it is human technology. A battery is a chemical reaction that is used in your brain, in the ocean, in rusting, etc...

Electricity is so fundamental as well and you can make a generator with a magnet and a coil of wire. Sci-fi usually adds things to the universe Revolution tries to take everything away but not really which makes it sound quite insane.

The simple conclusion is the premise is highly contrived and is trying to sound realistic and gritty while failing to achieve the effect believable. I'm pretty sure a Google engineer would not have classes about the world starting and ending with everything went insane isn't it interesting? (Children, or viewers because I doubt the children care about a non-explanation)

That is also ignoring the stilted dialog and strange actions/logic of the characters.
  26. Nov 3, 2012
    Although many people are claiming that the apocalypse scenario of the electronics collapsing and physics going insane are the problem with the show, I feel that this gives the show a cohesive plot line with the mystery of the problem. If everything was laid out in front of you at the beginning of the show there would be no incentive to delve deeper into the story that it offers. However, a few of the actors fall short of the adequate amount of acting actually required to make me like their characters, with the notable exceptions of Esposito of Breaking Bad fame and Burke's leading role after Twilight, many of the actors are newcomers and therefore a slight transition into the characters is to be expected. While not on the standard of shows such as Homeland, Mad Men or Breaking Bad, it's still a light hearted action romp created by the guys that brought you Alias, Lost and Supernatural. If you're going into the show expecting another Downton Abbey you'll be sorely disappointed, but as far as a television show goes, Revolution is good to sit down and switch off once a week and let the story wash over you. Too much time spent deconstructing the story itself may ruin the fun, but the mystery of the power outage and the main character's quests to discover this will be shared by millions of viewers world wide. Expand
  27. Dec 1, 2012
    The show's potential and ideas were handicapped by a poorly strung, contradicting plot and an often ridiculous dialogue. Yet for some odd reason I cant help but keep watching.
  28. Apr 6, 2013
    The idea of the show had a great deal of promise. However after watching 2 and a half excruciatingly embarrassing episodes, I've had to turn off as it is so, so bad. Terrible acting, woeful script, unbelievably poor storyline and to top it off mushy patriotic US of A sentiment thrown in! How does absolute tosh like this ever get the funding to see the light of day? It's totally beyond me! Avoid, it's absolute drivel of the highest order!!!!! Expand
  29. Sep 17, 2012
    I loved the pilot to this, So I will be watching more episodes. The pilot was great full of action, The actors reminded me of Hunger Games actors they were a little more coll then I thought they would be, meaning they weren't cheesy or anything like that. It was Revolution meets Lost, meets , The Book Of Eli, type action and backround or environment . Don't believe the bad reviews for this one and I do hope to see more Revolution. Expand
  30. Sep 18, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The pilot reminds me of many other shows of this type, including Jericho. I hope it strikes out on its own. Even the computer communication at the end of the first ep reminded me of Fringe. Who is she communicating with? Interesting, but they'd better learn from Fringe and start giving us some bread crumbs before the end of the first season. And they need to keep Giancarlo's acting very subtle - less bombastic - more like Gus from Breaking Bad, and less like his character from Do the Right Thing. Expand

1. Reviewed by: David Hiltbrand
    Sep 24, 2012
    Revolution had better worry about generating some voltage of its own. The pilot was excellent, but where does it go from here?
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Sep 21, 2012
    This is well-produced, but it could just as well be Mission:Colonial. [1 Oct 2012, p.38]
  3. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson
    Sep 18, 2012
    On the bright side, no one is in danger of having to watch this inert action show.