• Network: The CW
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 13, 2011
  • Season #: 1
6.6

1. Sep 13, 2011
    This is one of the most exciting shows I have waited for... I love Sarah Michelle Gellar and I know I will LOVE this show!!! can't wait any longer!!! 7 hours left for the premiere! This will be amazing! I totally like it already.
  2. Sep 15, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love the show! i cant wait for the rest of the season! i really really like Ioan Gruffudd! i think its great for him to do american television and i love his character so far. love love love Sarah Michelle Gellar (Prinze). omg so great to see that beauty come back! The show first started off a little corny and slow for me, but after the 3 commercial i was hooked. i cant wait to give the rest of the season the run down. i know it can only get better from here. with awesome producers and writers the show will pick up great. I love the shots, the scene cuts and the stylization of the filming. Adding that twist of glamor in the clothes and characters with mystery always makes me weak in the knees. Expand
  3. Dec 30, 2011
    The first 10 episodes of season 1 were amazing. Ringer is brilliantly mixing different kind of formats. At first you might think it is only a Soapy Drama because of all the shocking twists and turns but quickly you will see the show has a unique touch in the television landscape with a strong visual identity thanks to dark lightings and confined sets. Its Thriller / Film Noir aspect is really compelling, respecting all the different genre codes (a complex lead role with a far from brilliant past surrounded by strong and important supporting roles dealing with murder, adultery and treason, a fourth-rate cop manipulated by a femme fatale, night scenes, wet sidewalks, oversized sunglasses, trench-coats, firearms...) It is a great quality, mature series (especially for The CW) with amazing established actors such as Sarah Michelle Gellar (The Grudge, Buffy), Ioan Gruffudd (Fantastic Four, King Arthur), Nestor Carbonell (The Dark Knight, Lost), Jaime Murray (The Deaths of Ian Stone, Dexter) and Jason Dohring (Deep Impact, Veronica Mars). I can't hardly wait for the next episodes! Expand
  4. Sep 18, 2011
    Sarah is finally back! A bit disappointed about The Lying Game stealing its thunder but Ringer soars to another level for both production and acting (and no teen trashy dramas...). Will be definitely watching it! Good luck Sarah!
  5. Sep 21, 2011
    See Sarah Michelle Gellar again is very cool ! I was waiting for this all summer long and i am not dissapointing ! The show is excellent, i already love it ! Not only because she is in but also because the story is exciting ! Can't wait to see the episodes ...!!
  6. Oct 7, 2011
    Great show! Acting and storyline are A+. I am left wanting to see more at the end of each episode and not wanting to wait a week to find out what happens next!
  7. Oct 13, 2011
    Tal vez las actuaciones no sean las mejores, pero la serie es entretenida y atrapante, esta claro que no va a quedar en la historia pero cumple con su función con creces, entretiene y con buena calidad...
  8. Feb 1, 2012
    This show is awesome. I love the concept, and I'm always wanting more from Sarah Michelle Gellar. I think she plays her roles really well. I am a true fan of this show and hope it runs for a very long time. I also like the rest of the cast, and how each has their own problems but somehow it links to the whole story line.
  9. May 13, 2012
    I hate it when some shows are going to be canceled. Ringer is just one of them. I thought the CW wanted Sarah Michelle Gellar to bring the "cult" back in TV. But with low ratings, really? Ringer was more like a mashed-up thriller between Supernatural and The Grudge. But ever since Buffy ended its run in 2003, she continues to become a popular staple in movies, but I haven't seen her on TV in years until she made a comeback from her former home (UPN/WB merged into CW) and Ringer was a classic yet soon-to-be cult classic. I hope fans should boycott the network for canceling the series. R.I.P. Ringer, You Will Be Missed! By now, I hope Joss Whedon could make another Gellar action show without the CW's help. I could still watch reruns of Buffy on Netflix. Expand
  10. Mar 28, 2012
    Originally rated this show an 8. It definitely needed some time to develop as it's not your average show. Ringer is now in the top of my list and I'll be sad if it doesn't get another season as the story gets better every episode.
  11. Apr 5, 2012
    With lots of twist and turns, ringer is one of the best drama shows I've seen. With some shows you can tell what's going to happen but with this show your never sure, and that's what makes me keep watching. If i could describe it using three words they would be "Exciting, dramatic, un-predicable"
  12. May 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Before proceeding, I want to warn new viewers that the show has been canceled after season 1. So far, I haven't seen any word of a continuation.

That said, this is one of the best shows I've seen in a long time, but it's much to "brain-intensive" for most viewers to grasp--especially including film critics, which tend to be extremely conditioned to normative paradigms in film entertainment (to the detriment of the industry and its customers, I think).

Caveat: the pilot episode was certainly fun, but it wasn't nearly as good as what followed. There were some technical problems that I spotted.

1) The plot was phenomenal! Nearly everyone who reviews this show seems to think that the plot is full of "dead ends" and non-sequiturs. It isn't; TV viewers are just conditioned not to think (at all/much) while watching TV. Yes, near the beginning, and until the various plots fully unravel, it's very difficult to understand the "whole picture," but if you think about it, it becomes clear that it's "by-design," and that the show is made better for it. Personally, I'm a big fan of brilliantly convoluted plots and reveals that play out like the convergence of a fugue. Ringer does this, but it's apparently too much for a typical viewer (and certainly a typical film critic) to handle. I'm extremely disappointed that this show was canceled, mostly because the writing was so good.
    2) The acting ability in this show is far "above-par." Not one of the characters in the show--AFTER their story came out--was unbelievable to me. Most shows are filled with a lot of characters played by people who obviously didn't understand the lives of such people; this show is different in that respect; whether or not the actors really "knew" such lives, they made me *think* they did. Sarah Michelle Gellar finally proved to me that she could really--REALLY--pull off something more serious than Buffy the Vampire Slayer--and she did it IN SPADES. Playing essentially 4 different characters (2 Siobhan and 2 Bridget versions) and making me think it was actually 2 people acting their own, respective roles had to be an immense challenge for an actress. In my estimation, most actors/actresses that appear in popular film are not actually very good at it (they're just pretty and given good roles and/or coaching/directing); SMJ has herein demonstrated that she's better than that.
    3) As a person with a good bit of technical understanding, I'm perpetually irritated with the absolutely stupid way in which computers are handled in film. In Ringer, however, this was (surprisingly) not the case. First, the people giving technical security advice actually gave good advice! Security at work, for example, is nearly always stronger than security at home--even if you can access your work files from home. When an important flash drive was swapped with another drive, the "dummy" drive didn't magically contain some crazy virus or other technically implausible thing; instead, it contained "garbage data," which looked like it was produced by the output of "cat /dev/urandom" (on a *nix system; Windows can produce such output via some easy-to-find utilities), and was thus unreadable and untraceable, but not technically challenging to produce. Also, one piece of incriminating evidence that came to light wasn't phony data, alone, but an *algorithm* to make phony data look like real data. (This is the sort of thing that would be required to pull off any kind of financial "book-cooking" scheme with minimal employee knowledge, while making everything look great to those who look at the generated data.) In brief, I greatly appreciated not being made to cringe every time an actor sat down at a computer.
    4) The character development was very good. Yes, it's slow, and no, it's not as obvious as we're conditioned to expect. Most shows essentially give us caricatures, rather than characters, so when a truly believable "human being" character shows up, we tend to think it's "boring" or "bland". Ringer got a lot of grief from reviews for this, but I see this slow-building, believable character development as a great strength. As above, most of the characters don't make any sense until you understand their backstories. Once you do, however, they make a lot of sense, and their present and future motives become quite clear. Also, unlike most shows, the characters tend not to suffer much from what I call "Stupid Main Character Syndrom" (SMCS)--the tendency of writers to drag out storylines by making main characters act stupidly for no apparent reason, other than that the plot demands it. There is a little bit of this, but it's much less of a problem than in most shows. (Nikita, I'm looking at you.)

All-in-all, this is a great show that CW was completely daft to cancel (especially because, to my reading, the ratings in most relevant demographics were trending upward, not downward). *sigh*
  13. Rfa
    Jul 28, 2012
    Sarah Michelle Gellar returns to take the nostalgia from Buffy, and even better, now twice, playing twin sisters on a show that was supposed to be a success if it was not on the wrong network, the cw, if it were on the CBS show for sure would last several seasons.
  14. Aug 13, 2012
    Desde mi punto de vista algunas tramas eran previsibles pero otras me han sorprendido, buen doblaje por parte de Telecinco....

Me gusto mucho y me gustaría saber como termina :(

1. Reviewed by: Mary McNamara
    Sep 13, 2011
    Skidding through twists and turns aplenty, the intentionally soapy plot generates a lot of fun froth, but Gellar has a hard time playing one troubled and complicated woman, much less two.
  2. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Sep 13, 2011
    The CW's tale of an evil twin and an even eviler twin, is devious doppelganger drama at its best.
  3. Reviewed by: Ellen Gray
    Sep 13, 2011
    I'll admit that between the CW and ABC Family, I'm having trouble keeping track of the duos who've been separated at birth, switched at birth, given up at birth and in the case of Ringer, apparently just found themselves drifting apart into different worlds, but by halfway through tonight's pilot, I felt as if I'd seen this one before.