Rollergirls : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Jan 2, 2006
7.1

1. KM.
    Sep 25, 2007
    I loved this show. I'd always hoped to have a chance to skate roller derby. This show gave many of us the spark we needed to look up a local league or *create* one and start skating. It was truly an inspirational show.
  2. John
    Jul 20, 2006
    This was the best show on television; it replaces HBO's Carnivale (also cancelled) as my favorite. After seeing most of the Rollergirls episodes when they were aired, I have watched the DVD's from beginning to end, and am starting throiugh them again. I have also bought DVD's of recent TXRD bouts from austin.com and they were great. The girls are quirky, adorable, This was the best show on television; it replaces HBO's Carnivale (also cancelled) as my favorite. After seeing most of the Rollergirls episodes when they were aired, I have watched the DVD's from beginning to end, and am starting throiugh them again. I have also bought DVD's of recent TXRD bouts from austin.com and they were great. The girls are quirky, adorable, fascinating and I love the whole grass roots superheroine concept. I may have to travel (from Philadelphia) down to Austin to see a bout or two! The production of the series was marvelous, and the unpredictable and meandering and ambiguous development of the "story lines" mirrors real life. Plus the idea of legitimate (unfixed) roller derby also is radical! The only problem is that I have yet to find anyone in my circle ot friends and acquaintances who even saw the show! So much for the marketing of it... Collapse
  3. LouS
    Apr 7, 2006
    As a Roller derby skaters I do give the Rollergirls a lot of credit for keeping the name roller derby alive One day they might learn to skate the unique game we call Roller Derby. If my girl captain Shirley Hardman of the Texas Outlaws, she would give the girls a 10.
  4. chocolatewide3
    Mar 6, 2006
    this show is so funny i went to a game at it was so awful they should not call this rollerderby.
  5. GaryR
    Feb 14, 2006
    More so-called "reality" pulp.
  6. RachelP
    Jan 31, 2006
    Best Show ever! These women are fucking amazing. They have found a reason to wakup in the morning...and live life to the fullest.
  7. RonS
    Jan 30, 2006
    Good Stuff!
  8. keiths
    Jan 28, 2006
    Finally the Roller Derby is back on t.v. These girls obviously care and respect the sport. Thank you to them for bringing it back to the fans.
  9. LisaD
    Jan 20, 2006
    Show is fun but makes me want to see the sport! Finally a new sport for grrls! Hope that some smart TV exec will bring rollerderby back as a sport so we can root for these women as athletes and not just be limited to their personal stories.
  10. mary
    Jan 19, 2006
    awesome show! i'm hooked!
  11. MTharmon
    Jan 11, 2006
    Very colorful. Could use more of a plot, but entertaining to see the lives of these women.
  12. JerellP
    Jan 10, 2006
    Hot Women + Scripted Reality Show = Bad Television.
  13. lindao
    show's awesome
  14. Jason
    Jan 10, 2006
    Being from Texas, I've seen the Rollergirls in action and know a couple. On that note however, I'm really disappointed in this show. It doesn't seem very interesting and the plots and character development all seem pretty flat and 2 dimensional. Despite the tattoos and craziness (like teepeeing houses whoa) they almost come off as caricatures rather than interesting people. Being from Texas, I've seen the Rollergirls in action and know a couple. On that note however, I'm really disappointed in this show. It doesn't seem very interesting and the plots and character development all seem pretty flat and 2 dimensional. Despite the tattoos and craziness (like teepeeing houses whoa) they almost come off as caricatures rather than interesting people. I've heard more hipster-friendly country music in one episode than in my over 20 years of living here. What's with the editing too? In the first episode one of the announcers has a shaved head one minute than a full head of hair in the next? All in all I think it was a hard subject matter to make into a series to begin with and the creators fell short of the mark. Without a real deep look into the subjects all that is left is the novelty of rollerderby and that wears off after the first 10 minutes. Expand
  15. SteveP
    Jan 9, 2006
    I was really surprised by this show. I was expecting a sort of white trash 'real world' but instead I was completely blown away by the dedication of these amazing athletes. This isn't some sport lwhere some corporate giant creates the league (XFL anyone?) this is a grass-roots punk rock experiment. And I'm hooked.
  16. BrendaM
    Jan 7, 2006
    What happened to Random 1? This show was average at best. Why did a&e make such a big deal about it????
  17. RossA.
    Jan 4, 2006
    A TV show's purpose is to entertain you. A side purpose is to draw your interest enough to watch the rest of the Season. This show is certainly entertaining, but there is little depth that would make me want to follow the story of the women, in a sense that there is no overall plotline; there is only an episode's length of plotlines. This makes the show nice to watch if you A TV show's purpose is to entertain you. A side purpose is to draw your interest enough to watch the rest of the Season. This show is certainly entertaining, but there is little depth that would make me want to follow the story of the women, in a sense that there is no overall plotline; there is only an episode's length of plotlines. This makes the show nice to watch if you catch it at the beginning but I can't see myself viewing it every new showing on purpose. Expand

''Rollergirls" is a colorful piece of reality TV.
  2. [An] unflinching and engaging look at the lives of a disparate group of women in their 20s and 30s whose share a love for this rough-and-tumble sport.
  3. A "heightened reality" show, one might call it, but one which makes its subject palpable and which, because it is made with care, lets you care too. It's the more artful portrait, paradoxically, that paints the truer picture.