• Network: FOX , FX
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 21, 2010
  • Season #: 1
6.5

1. Sep 25, 2010
    Yes, this episode is not the cumulative greatness that was all 3 seasons of arrested development. No, this episode was not the funniest, cleverest written episode of arrested development. This was Running Wilde, and although it falls short of Arrested Developments epic crescendo of humor, layered with layers and layers of expertly written dialogue, it is still seething with potential.Yes, this episode is not the cumulative greatness that was all 3 seasons of arrested development. No, this episode was not the funniest, cleverest written episode of arrested development. This was Running Wilde, and although it falls short of Arrested Developments epic crescendo of humor, layered with layers and layers of expertly written dialogue, it is still seething with potential. To me it seems like the creators and participants of Running Wilde had 21 minutes to outdo arrested development or be considered a failure and by judging by the reviews from reality show loving critics and users, they consider it to be a failure. Put aside your thoughts and preconceptions and just accept what your watching and be prepared to look deep into the humor and not just take it for face value. A top notch pilot segueing into what I hope to be a long-running, much appreciated show and not another much missed show like Arrested Development. Expand
  2. Sep 27, 2010
    This, slightly less absurd and more attuned to the mainstream tastes, sitcom style reworking of "Arrested Development" humour promises to be hilarious when we get know the characters a little better.
  3. Sep 24, 2010
    I knew "Arrested Development". I watched "Arrested Development." This show is no "Arrested Development."
  4. Sep 29, 2010
    What could have been a quasi-spinoff of Arrested Development, is in actuality a comedy that is low on the laughs, and thought for that matter. Running Wilde seems incoherent and unbelievable. While reality and a great plot is not necessarily necessary for a television comedy, its laughs certainly do not make up for its huge flaws. Additionally, the choice of telling the story in a child'sWhat could have been a quasi-spinoff of Arrested Development, is in actuality a comedy that is low on the laughs, and thought for that matter. Running Wilde seems incoherent and unbelievable. While reality and a great plot is not necessarily necessary for a television comedy, its laughs certainly do not make up for its huge flaws. Additionally, the choice of telling the story in a child's point of view is certainly a big mistake on the writer's behalf. This could have brought an innocent look into adult life in a humorous way, but it is not. It just seems silly and pretentious.
    Overall, Running Wilde is a bust, and Will Arnett is better off channeling his better days on Arrested Development.
  5. Sep 22, 2010
    I have only seen the first episode but I have to say that it was utterly rubbish. The level of humour is so low that one of the characters (a female environmentalist) has a daughter named "Puddle". And that's meant to be funny. Avoid this one.
  6. Sep 23, 2010
    Running Wilde may not be accepted by most audiences, but Running WIlde is a decent, well written comedy. Sure the jokes may not be the funniest or brightest of the bunch, but with a decent cast, and good acting, Running Wilde MIGHT have a chance for season 2 to be greenlit.
  7. Sep 22, 2010
    An utter disappointment within the first five minutes. I forced myself to watch the forced jokes and low humor. I expected so much more from the creators of Arrested Development. There's really no need to give a summary. A better name would be "Running Mild."
  8. Sep 23, 2010
    Will Arnett and Keri Russell work surprisingly well together in a comedy, something I wasn't quite sure would work out, even though I love both actors. There are a lot of flashbacks to Arrested Development in terms of the tone and humor of the show, so I definitely think, at best, it will be a niche comedy and not to everyone's liking. I'm definitely going to give it a couple of episodesWill Arnett and Keri Russell work surprisingly well together in a comedy, something I wasn't quite sure would work out, even though I love both actors. There are a lot of flashbacks to Arrested Development in terms of the tone and humor of the show, so I definitely think, at best, it will be a niche comedy and not to everyone's liking. I'm definitely going to give it a couple of episodes to see where it goes! Expand
  9. Sep 25, 2010
    i was promised something similar to "arrested development" ( which i loved ), what i was given was not even close. although will arnett is usually a funny guy and his material is usually quite entertaining i did not laugh or smile at all. none of the characters were likable and i could not relate to any of them. stop wasting your time, and make the arrested development movie
  10. Sep 26, 2010
    Thanks Woodjj. My sentiments exactly. The criticisms seem to be coming from the culmination of 50-some episodes of "Arrested". You don't know these characters yet, people, and if you carefully examine this pilot in comparison to the "Arrested" pilot, you'll see a similarity in the focus of character over comedy. The pilot for "Arrested" is great, but it's not that funny. It's funniestThanks Woodjj. My sentiments exactly. The criticisms seem to be coming from the culmination of 50-some episodes of "Arrested". You don't know these characters yet, people, and if you carefully examine this pilot in comparison to the "Arrested" pilot, you'll see a similarity in the focus of character over comedy. The pilot for "Arrested" is great, but it's not that funny. It's funniest in hindsight, after you've seen more episodes. It was a way to introduce the characters, and in that sense, "Running Wilde" did the same thing. "Running Wilde" has some interesting strengths to it. It's fast paced, sort of bizarre, and unconventional with a pretty conventional plot. It's grounded in classicism, and it's open to comedic experimentation. Because of these things, it will probably prove to be unlike anything else on television at the moment. Don't forget people, Hurwitz said he wanted to ease the audience into this one before they jump into their more subversive comedy. So stick with it, if you're a fan of "Arrested Development". Expand
  11. Oct 29, 2010
    The odd smaltzy moments are a little out of place and the humour isn't as layered or tight as Arrested Development. However, I do like it overall and it does have frequent surreal sparks that make it worth sticking with.
  12. Oct 31, 2010
    Very nice and pleasant show. Not expect something hilarious but funny and good mood. Is not the sequel of arrested development, doesn't pretends to be at all. But it will also became a myth, I'm pretty sure. Keep up the good work.
  13. Feb 19, 2012
    I watched this show with high expectations when it first aired, and was tremendously disappointed.

But after watching it again on Netflix, I think my mistake was in comparing it to Arrested Development at all. It's a different type of farce, and has more of an obvious "sitcom" premise, which is probably a turn-off to some comedy snobs. But, shows like The IT Crowd have shown that

It's a different type of farce, and has more of an obvious "sitcom" premise, which is probably a turn-off to some comedy snobs. But, shows like The IT Crowd have shown that sitcoms can still be clever, and I see this show as a success in that genre. I laughed quite a bit, at least, and I think it holds up well to a re-viewing.

Good comedy.

1. Reviewed by: Jim Scott
    Running Wilde exerts so much energy setting up the jokes that they end up forced. Arnett breaks off a couple of great one-liners, but Running Wilde has a lot of work to do in order to even be a good sitcom, much less a Hall of Famer like Arrested.
  2. Reviewed by: James Poniewozik
    The original pilot had funny moments, but also some pacing problems and dead spots-which the final version, unfortunately, if anything made worse. And a second episode that Fox just sent out is no more encouraging.
    I just wish he'd [Will Arnett] run away from this dead horse of a sitcom. [11 Oct 2010, p.38]