Saint George : Season 1

• Network: FX
  • Series Premiere Date: Mar 6, 2014
3.8

1. Mar 28, 2014
    This is what you get when you take just about every generic sitcom trope you can think of and cram them into an almost humorless show. The plot of the episodes seem to get crappier with each passing one. The only good thing about the show outside of the rare laugh is Danny Trejo. He plays the only character who is actually tolerable. Outside of Lopez and Trejo the rest of the supportingThis is what you get when you take just about every generic sitcom trope you can think of and cram them into an almost humorless show. The plot of the episodes seem to get crappier with each passing one. The only good thing about the show outside of the rare laugh is Danny Trejo. He plays the only character who is actually tolerable. Outside of Lopez and Trejo the rest of the supporting cast is worthless. The ex-wife and son character are just plain dull and contribute nothing in the form of humor. The mother character is just all around horrible. I get that there have been a lot of sitcoms that featured a tough love sort of mother, but here they forgot to add any sort of love. This means that the mother character is just an absolutely mean character who's very presence on the show is repulsive.

Make no mistake this is not a good sitcom. The rare laughs it does bring feel forced, which is both disappointing and shocking considering the cast it has. It may get better one day as time progresses, but I won't be sticking around to see if it does. This is one sitcom that can be painful to watch, and because of that I can't recommend it.
  2. Apr 17, 2014
    I didn't laugh once. I didn't even smile. As a latino, I'm upset that this is what I have to watch on a major network. No latino writers on the show. The episode I watched ("Hit Me With Your Best Shot") had the following joke: George finding his mother in the living room watching a telenovela tells her he wants to watch the Lakers game on TV. She responds by saying, "If you want toI didn't laugh once. I didn't even smile. As a latino, I'm upset that this is what I have to watch on a major network. No latino writers on the show. The episode I watched ("Hit Me With Your Best Shot") had the following joke: George finding his mother in the living room watching a telenovela tells her he wants to watch the Lakers game on TV. She responds by saying, "If you want to watch a bunch of black guys running around, go down to the corner liquor store and throw a dollar in the parking lot." Think about it...it's 2014 and somebody got paid to write that. Somebody then read it or heard it and approved it for the script. Incredible. Oh here's another nugget: George tells his "son": "Latinos make good boxers because their mothers were abusive." There you go America...latinos hate blacks and our mothers beat us when we were young. That just about sums us up...according to the two white dudes who wrote the episode: Michael Davidoff & Bill Rosenthal. Shame on George Lopez. I'm not even sure I'm supposed to be watching this show. I don't think they're trying to appeal to me. I truly think this is written for some white dude so that he can laugh at latinos and blacks and feel good about himself...just like the two dudes who wrote this episode: Michael Davidoff & Bill Rosenthal. Expand
  3. Mar 9, 2014
    I must say, this show was very funny, I believe most of the negative critic given were from people who enjoy clean comedy. If you like Funny mexican/racist comedies, or any of Seth Rogen/James Franco/Danny McBribe, Or dave chappelle, I think you would enjoy this show, even though I think is too early to critic the show since there's only 1 episode out.
  4. Mar 19, 2014
    I firmly believe that George Lopez is just looking for work no matter what it may be. It has a bright spot here and there, but overall generally uninteresting and boring comedy. I liked George Lopez then his playing into Mexican stereotypes got old really fast, his late show was good for about 2 months, then dropped off, and now this. It's a shame that this is what's come to for George Lopez.
  5. Mar 23, 2014
    Incredible someone put this old dried up racist pandering scumbag back on the air. Garbage in garbage out. With all the people in the industry that are putting things together this is the best thing they could green light. What a joke.
  6. Mar 12, 2014
    A truly mindless and formulaic sitbore assembled by a committee of corporate morons. This would be a really good time for GL, and the executives responsible, to reevaluate their career choices.
  7. May 30, 2014
    Please cancel this awful show by this awful racist. Just not funny. At all. Please never give him a show again. Let him fade away. Please cancel this awful show by this awful racist. Just not funny. At all. Please never give him a show again. Let him fade away.
  8. Jun 8, 2014
    This show is great! I'm not sure why there has been a lot of negative comments here, I assure you, this is one of the few places there is! Look at other places and reviews, you'll see how much people really like it! Or better yet, watch a few episodes..............you'll really enjoy it!

1. Reviewed by: Jeff Jensen
    Mar 28, 2014
    The series needs more brains--and more authenticity.
  2. Reviewed by: Jeff Korbelik
    Mar 27, 2014
    The punchlines are predictable, with jokes about weight, graying hair and sexting.
  3. Reviewed by: Allison Keene
    Mar 6, 2014
    While most of the interactions feel canned, or are just cheap jokes about Anglo versus Mexican culture, there are occasionally a few moments that break forth with genuine humor, mostly thanks to Trejo and Zayas.