Sanctuary : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: May 14, 2007
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
6.5

1. May 17, 2011
    Sanctuary is an incredible series. Thrilling, well-crafted and carried out by talented actors, I greatly enjoy the Sanctuary series. Amanda Tapping plays a convincing Helen Magnus, and manages break out of her Sam Carter SG-1 role successfully. Sanctuary is less geared towards heavy gunfights and explosions that drew in characters for Stargate, I personally think thats why it has lessSanctuary is an incredible series. Thrilling, well-crafted and carried out by talented actors, I greatly enjoy the Sanctuary series. Amanda Tapping plays a convincing Helen Magnus, and manages break out of her Sam Carter SG-1 role successfully. Sanctuary is less geared towards heavy gunfights and explosions that drew in characters for Stargate, I personally think thats why it has less appeal for those hoping for another SG military-based story. While the writing could use some expansion and the storyline could do with a bit of work, Sanctuary is an addictive series if you can get into it. It does seem to be a case of, 'you'll either love it or hate it.' Frankly, I find Sanctuary to be highly enjoyable and the acting is grossly undervalued. To those who accuse Amanda Tappings accent of being poor or inaccurate, I'd like to point out that there is no universal British accent. There is a miasma of different dialects across the UK, and, having lived in Central London all my life, I can say with full confidence that Amanda Tappings' accent wouldn't be even slightly out of place here. However, to address those who believe otherwise, it makes sense that Helen Magnus' accent would be slightly off, the character having been based in America. Regardless, I still maintain that her accent is perfectly fine. To me, Sanctuary is one of the most underrated shows on television. Its innovative special effects and the amazing cast makes up for the lacklustre story which I admit could use some work. However, I'd even go so far as to say that the inspiring components surrounding the storyline makes its rather glaring pitfalls less noticable. I strongly recommend Sanctuary to anyone, very impressed by Ryan Robbins, Amanda Tapping and Agam Darshi especially. Expand
  2. AmyD
    Oct 3, 2009
    It is a definitely a 9. Amanda Tappings accent is not great, and the series starts off a little slow. However Christopher hyerdarhyl is one of the most underused actors around in my opinion, he is great. the acting overall is superb, to say 99% of the time they are looking at nothing.
  3. JamesS.
    Oct 10, 2008
    Not bad. Pilot episode was slow, probably too much exposition, but by no means bad. In fact I personally thought it was rather interesting noting the changes from the Web Series and the more involved back story. Certainly an above average scifi/fantasy show and I'll be adding it to my viewing list. ps The Accent. It's not really meant to be a British accent anyway. People tend Not bad. Pilot episode was slow, probably too much exposition, but by no means bad. In fact I personally thought it was rather interesting noting the changes from the Web Series and the more involved back story. Certainly an above average scifi/fantasy show and I'll be adding it to my viewing list. ps The Accent. It's not really meant to be a British accent anyway. People tend to lose their accents rather easily once they live away from it. Magnus is 157 years old so it's hardly surprising. I'd be more annoyed if she had a fully accurate accent. Expand
  4. CalM.
    Oct 24, 2008
    This is one of the most innovative, compelling shows on SciFi. Amanda Tapping has risen above Sam Carter and brought her A game to this show in a sexy way. Robin Dunne is a great find and the two of them together bring an amazing chemistry to the screen!
  5. Natasha
    Oct 24, 2008
    Best show on Sci fi - Damian Kindler is a genius. I love Ryan Robbins. What the hell are you talking about with the accent? There are many different accents. Amanda was born in England. Chris Heyerdahl (Druit) ups the anty here. This is a good show.
  6. KayleeJ.
    Oct 4, 2008
    The pilot episode was a little slow moving and probably should have been condensed into one hour instead of stretched out to two. However, the storyline shows promise and the characters were interesting. I believe it will be a good series once the pace picks up a bit.
    Oct 24, 2008
    Excellent show. Very clever. Amazing Green screen/graphics. Great acting and direction.
  8. TaomanT
    Oct 26, 2008
    The show started with a very slow pace. It was a disappointing start after the quality shown during the web episodes. Yet by the 5th episode, it did find its rhythm. You see very few instances of bad acting, bad special effects. It becomes a more interesting show with each episode. As for the tone of the show, it is in between battlestar galactica (not as serious) and stargate atlantis The show started with a very slow pace. It was a disappointing start after the quality shown during the web episodes. Yet by the 5th episode, it did find its rhythm. You see very few instances of bad acting, bad special effects. It becomes a more interesting show with each episode. As for the tone of the show, it is in between battlestar galactica (not as serious) and stargate atlantis (not as light). Expand
  9. Jan 14, 2011
    So I admit that this show may not be Golden Globe worthy, there are flaws in design, direction, and acting. But as for entertainment value, what I base my opinion on, it is one of my favorite shows. It's funny and crazy, and full of fun historical fiction. Plus, I like that I can watch it with my mom and not be embarrassed about Syfy.

Sanctuary’s pace is a little on the stately side, and the show is competent if not particularly innovative sci-fi.
  2. Much of it feels dreadfully slow, not so much moody as stretched for time....Things do pick up significantly with the arrival of Christopher Heyerdahl as John Druitt.
    Given that, let me also say that virtual sets don't make up for virtual plots. Not that Sanctuary doesn't have its moments, and those moments might prove to be fast and furious after tonight's two-hour premiere when the show goes to a more manageable one-hour format.