• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 5, 2012
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4
8.0

1. Sep 30, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Juicy material, but too many plot holes to hold and zero character appeal. This show is only watchable as long as you don't think about what's going on. Olivia Pope is championed as a great figure often wearing a "white hat" and she's supposed to be lauded for her power and courage, yet, if you pay attention, you realize she is weak and ignoble. Olivia is not ruled by justice or a desire to do good, but simply to do what her clients pay her for, which is to "fix" whatever problems they have, and these are often unsavory to say the least, mostly illegal, but worse, immoral. But my biggest issue with this show concerns Olivia and her love interest, the President. Their nearly every interaction involves her trying to get away from him, him unrelenting, her saying not, him saying "but I love you," and then them getting it on. The rape-y undertones of this are super problematic, but this also destroys any notion of Olivia being a strong and empowered woman. Not only are the sex scenes troubling, but her entire relationship with the president involves him barking orders at her, her arguing, him screaming, and her falling in line, and eventually forgiving him because he says she is the "love of his life." But that love only seems to come as long as he can control her, which is sick, twisted, and just plain sad. I've suffered through the first and second seasons, hoping Olivia would finally find her strength and tell the President to go f-off, but that doesn't seem to be coming, so I'm out. (and I just want to repeat, the president is rape-y, and that is so not ok.) Expand
  2. Nov 17, 2013
    Well, hats off to Shonda Rhimes. Who would've thought of most of this season's scandalous cases? An attempt to assassinate the President of the United States is a big risk to take, but the show has done it quite perfectly. I think this is the first time in years a show is actually picking up in considerable improvement both critically and commercially in its subsequent season(s).
  3. Oct 27, 2013
    Impossible miss a single episode. The first part of the show was managed by Fitz's attack, but before then, there is an excellent show. "Happy Birrthday, Mr. President" make people watching the hit has already began. The episode "Truth of Consequences" brilliant, as well as "Nobody likes babies", "Snake in the garden", "Seven-Fifty-Two", excellent the end of the episode "Any Questions?" and the season finale the best episode yet. This season not only Kerry Washington keep doing brilliant job, but Bellamy Young, Perry, Darby, Katie Lowes, Bucatinsky, and for sure Diaz, stole the show.
    The cast, the writing, the directing, the photography, the acting, the costume desing, everything work it out. Well Done ABC's Scandal.
    This show deserve more nominations at the Globes, the TCAs, Critics Choice and Emmys.
  4. Apr 20, 2013
    I have to admit I ignored this show when it started because I couldn't stand Greys Anatomy. Then one night I saw this excitement on twitter at about the 6 th episode of season 1 and I have hooked ever since its soapy, over the top and tv needed something like this.
  5. Feb 17, 2013
    Season 2 of this show is positively off-the-chart, crazily heart-pounding! Unlike "Smash" and "Nashville" which go downhill as it goes on, this show never seems to run out of ideas and intriguing plots.
  6. Jan 5, 2013
    This show is becoming better and better. It has it all: suspense, twists and turns, romance, plots. It is well written, well played and I find myself waiting for Thursday nights just to see what's next .
  7. Nov 30, 2012
    So Addicted and impossible stop to watch. Scandal season 2 finally show the real potential of the show, all the fast dialogues, conspiracy and romance are just amazing. Kerry Washington and the rest of the cast shine in just seven episodes.
tbd

No score yet - based on 2 Critics

1. Reviewed by: Melissa Maerz
    Dec 10, 2012
    Rhimes doesn't develop these affairs beyond their impact on the characters' careers, perhaps because the tone is supposed to be serious, not fun-flirty like Grey's. So it's hard to tell why these women sacrifice so much for the people they love.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto