9.1

1. Oct 9, 2013
    Every episode feels like a film. It is exciting, every arc is wrapped up (except from the finale I am dying to know what happens next, curse you BBC for not giving us a proper trailer); and the acting by Cumberbatch and Freeman is great. A must watch.
  2. Sep 17, 2013
    The first episode of season 2 made me realise that I was watching something special, a feeling the first season failed to induce in me. The portrayal of Irene Adler was iconic and unique. She is a dominatrix in every sense of the word_ intellectually, physically, emotionally. Funny and deceitful at the same time. I found myself falling for her. Anyway, that was not the only thing that they got right. The relationship between the Holmes boys was explored, and I found that I cared about Mycroft as well. He really does care about his little brother. The plot was inventive and takes you places. Watson, however, takes a backstage this time around, and oddly, I did not care about it so much as there were other greater things going on about.

All I can say is that the book (The Hound of the Baskervilles) was better than the adaptation. But it was still worthwhile watching the episode, but not by much.

The third episode was very creative and ended with something I did not fully understand. Moriarty seemed to be underwhelming earlier, with his child-like tantrums, but the actor played him with resolve in this episode. Ingenious.
  3. Aug 29, 2012
    Sherlock is one of the best series I have ever watched, and I can say it again and again. Outstanding direction, cinematography and the background score; I could not stop noticing them throughout the series. Benedict Cumberbatch shines as Sherlock Holmes once again. I don't like the characterization of Jim Moriarty though, looks kinda lame and annoying, maybe he was born that way. If you haven't watched this show yet, this is definitely a must watch for you. And don't be sad, there's another season yet to come. Sherlock, all the way. Expand
  4. Dec 18, 2013
    sherlock continues the same in quality in this second season,it had all the good things the first season had and the same problem as the first one(only three episodes per season).
  5. Jan 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Season 2 of Sherlock picks up right where it left off. Moriarty and Sherlock have each other at gunpoint when, all of a sudden, 'Staying Alive' starts playing?? It's Moriarty's phone, and it turns out he has to go. Uh...

While this isn't exactly the follow-up I was hoping from The Great Game, I have to admit that it was one laugh-out-loud moment. It's smart humour too; can you imagine Andrew Scott's Moriarty having a different ringtone? I do hope that phone call comes back into play, since it seemed nothing but an easy and comedic way out, but given Morality's fate this Season, things are looking bleak.

After a slightly disappointing opening, A Scandal in Belgravia, does a great job as an individual arc. I say individual arc but I really hope Lara Pulver's character, Irene Adler returns. As a skilled dominatrix, she uses her sexual powers to get into Sherlock's head. After Irene's - um - interesting first impression, they ensue in physiological warfare that comes dangerously close to flirtation (although Sherlock would never admit it).

If Sherlock could care about any woman, it'd be Irene. She's a clever character, and although she used her wits initially to attack Sherlock, she was ultimately a tool in Moriarty's game. Sherlock obviously grew quite fond of her, saving he life by the episode's end. And this from a high-functioning sociopath.

One thing that DID bug me about this episode was a sexist/homophobic undertone. Irene is supposedly a lesbian but she falls head-over-heels in love with Sherlock. Seriously? I do think this relationship has legs and hope Irene returns in the future but I'm hugely confused by Steven Moffat's decision to make her a lesbian. Or maybe I shouldn't be surprised since Moffat's reportedly quite the misogynist.

The Hounds of Bakersville is a weaker entry, in my opinion. It's at least marginally better than Season 1's The Blind Banker but like that episode, it feels stretched too thin over its 90 minute runtime. Not a whole lot to talk about here, just good old Sherlock and Watson case busting.

If you think think this is starting to sound like a Sherlock bashing session, then fear not: The Reichenbach fall is one of those TV episodes that make you want to just stand up and applaud once you're through. The intensity is dialled up a notch as Moriarty seeks to absolutely destroy Sherlock's life.

Moriarty, realizing Sherlock's friends are easier target, sets up elaborate traps for Sherlock to walk through, continually eating away at his stellar reputation. Moriarty lies without flinching, convincing people he was nothing more than an actor that Sherlock hired because he was bored, and that he has a code that can give a man all the power in the world. Almost getting himself imprisoned was just part of his plan to ruin Sherlock too. Moriarty wasn't pulling any punches.

Moriarty does his best but Sherlock ends up victorious in the end, somehow staging his own suicide, while Moriarty actually did the same. how exactly Sherlock survived the fall is unclear and was a major talking point during the show's hiatus.

And I haven't even talked about Watson. Things were complicated between him and Sherlock but Freeman's last few scenes were very emotionally touching. Sherlock may have been arrogant but he was Watson's friend.

Sherlock Season 2 is everything Season 1 promised to be. With season 3 airing soon in America, let's hope that another two years don't go by without this excellent series.
  6. Jan 19, 2013
    Even better than season 1. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are stunning; I'm completely in love with their relationship and I cannot wait to see what else Sherlock has to offer.
  7. Jan 29, 2013
    Let me first say that I absolutely love this show, and it is because the show is so good that I set the bar very high for each episode, considering there are only 3 per season. The first episode of this season was phenomenal in every way, probably my favorite of the series thus far. The second episode was not as good, and I struggled with some plausibility issues, and it did get confusing at times. The third and final episode was better than the second, but not as good as the first, though it was a great cliffhanger ending and I was very entertained throughout. Ep1: 10, Ep2: 8, Ep3: 9, which is coincidentally the same score I gave to each corresponding episode in the first season. Expand
  8. Feb 1, 2014
    Another great season for the modern retelling of the old Sherlock Holmes stories. This season was particularly known for dealing with 3 of the most popular things ever done in the SH novels. The introduction of a well-known character, a classic storyline known by almost everyone, and the fateful meeting between Sherlock and his nemesis, Moriarty. While they did a good job with the first two, the last one was so far removed from everything else the series has done that I cannot say I enjoyed it at all. I felt it was a severe disappointment as the final episode had a different tone and a different way to tell the story. I was honestly so disappointed in how it played out but I am definitely excited to start Season 3 here soon. While the final episode here was awful, I'm more than excited to see what will happen next. Expand
  9. May 19, 2012
    DAT ENDING in The Reinbach Falls. The other episodes aren't much better than the first season but the last one is more of a movie. Worth a look if you want to end up thinking WTF.
  10. Dec 20, 2013
    The second series of Sherlock improves upon the first with its unpredictability, emotional weight, and once again, brilliant acting by all the characters.
  11. May 8, 2012
    It would be difficult to find fault with even such a modern update of the most famous fictional detective. It is clever, it is witty, its humour is deliciously highbrow, the actors and actresses have superb performances - they are such a perfect fit considering the roles that they play - Moffat and Gatiss should be proud for what genius and creativity they have devoted to adapting the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Need I say more? Expand
  12. May 27, 2012
    It is so exciting (and rear) to witness a production that has comedy, psychology, mystery, and terror all in one show. But the modern day Sherlock accomplishes it with an absolute perfect rhythm. Genius. Thank you actors, writers, and the like. 11/10
  13. Sep 8, 2012
    Something great happens when every element of a show are gathered together in perfection. The shooting style, the clever dialogues, the terrific performance and the magnificent story telling make BBC1's Sherlock the best version of Conan Doyle's investigator. As always, British dramas make difference in Telly. Long live Sherlock!
  14. Feb 22, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a cliffhanger this season ended on I couldn't wait for more, this season was just as good as the first, and now it added a perfect nemesis for Sherlock, Moriaty is just great, everything is just great. Expand
  15. May 13, 2012
    Wow. And I thought series one was as good as it gets. Sherlock season 2 is one of the best television series I have ever seen. Just about everything seems to be upped from season one, and season one was already brilliant in so many ways. Each of the 3 episodes are ten out of ten in my eyes and I could happily watch them over and over. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are as great as ever as well as all of the supporting cast but the stealer for me was Andrew Scott as Moriarty. He is the reason why the final episode of the three is absolutely jaw dropping and he is just a joy to watch. The visual effects seem to be bigger and better than season one, you can definitely tell that the shows budget has increased and it deserved the increase! Overall fantastic writing, directing and acting all wrapped into one fantastic show, you have to watch this! Expand
  16. Jul 16, 2012
    Sherlock Holmes never fails to disappoint. After a brilliant season 1,he's back with an absolutely mind blowing season 2. Benedict Cumberbatch is brilliant and convincing as ever. Martin Freeman is as usual perfect. This is the best TV out there. Creators Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat have done an incredible job.
    The only thing that's bumming me out is that I have to wait till next year
    to see Sherlock again. Expand
  17. Oct 6, 2012
    Could not be more pleased with this series. After having watched this and attempting the new American version "Elementary", I found I could no longer stomach such a placating to viewership as found on the remake. "Sherlock" is simply exciting. It thrills with jolts of intellect and plot, and brings it all home with character development and the promise of more to come. It has easily made my top ten list of all time, and I assure you, I do not rate it a perfect 10 lightly. Expand
  18. Jun 3, 2012
    ICONIC! From the phenomenal performances, music, story and witty dialogue! Truly, a love letter Conan Doyle will surely treasure. I cannot recommend it more.
  19. Mar 24, 2013
    A truly perfect series as far as character development, story and everything technical are concerned. A stunning piece of television to watch if only for the beautiful editing. Cumberbatch and Freeman act the roles perfectly and the books are complimented brilliantly whilst modernising the intelligent franchise. Would recommend the series to anyone, gave me goosebumps
  20. Jul 23, 2013
    You just can't ask for a better Sherlock...
    Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman make a perfect 'pair'...
    It may even be the best show/movie on Sherlock Holmes...
    And season for awesome...
  21. May 2, 2013
    Season 2 gets even better with new look on Sherlock Holmes. Irene Adler in the house! It all ended with amazing finale which made all us love the show even more!
  22. May 22, 2013
    In many respects as good as the last season, but a little less cohesive. Some notable guest performances from Lara Pulver and Russell Tovey. Martin Freeman's performance in the finale is devastating.
  23. Dec 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. An outstanding drama/mystery show, Sherlock Holmes played at his POSSIBLE best! The show has been put together in such a way it becomes an unforgettable experience. Every episode gets better an better! An from what I understand it was a bit of a breakout role for Benedict Cumberbatch as delays from Series proved difficult for the actors scheduling! If that's not proof enough how great a show it is for the true Sherlock fans Moriarty is played so beautifully an the relationship between the two of them works as if they would be the best of friends had the characters not been arch-enemies. The challenge of both their intellects combined creates a surrogate relationship that to the Moriarty is a game an to Sherlock its life and death. Beautiful modern day Sherlock for the drama/mystery lovers. This show earns a Top 5 spot on my list! Expand
  24. May 20, 2012
    The best T.V show ever, prefer it over the films.
    I laughed, I cried and I was baffled by amazing unpredictable twists with a great cast. Everyone needs to see it!
  25. May 29, 2012
    Very likely one of the greatest television shows running, the second season continues on the fantastic acting, mind-bending plots, and scathingly witty writing of the first. A slightly bland second episode, venturing too far into generic television territory plot-wise jars a bit with the unity of the series, but on the whole, "Sherlock" remains the pinnacle of quality television.
  26. May 6, 2012
    Ingenious. Intelligent. Challenging. Witty. Unique. Probably the best television from England for years. It really is a must watch for the more discerning viewer.
  27. Jul 6, 2012
    I seriously enjoyed this season of Sherlock. By the end, it had me aching for more. Clever stories, clever acting, and clever directing. You really cannot go wrong here!
  28. Jul 30, 2012
    I love this series. The characters are fantastic, love the humor is so typically English, which means perfectly times and witty. Awesome modern twist on an old classic. Can't wait for the next season
  29. Apr 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Yes, a 10 out of 10. I have not seen a modernization of a show quite as rich as this. Benedict Cummberbatch has quickly become a favorite of mine, though I rarely watch interviews with him because I love the image of him as Sherlock and I don't want to blow it; except for his upcoming appearance in 'Star Trek 2'. He is a perfect replication; troubled, drugged, a complete and utter that you cannot help but love and admire for his ability to excuse his sociopathic self as a huge credit to his character. Without it, he would not be able to be who he is. THE detective of the century.
    Then there's Martin Freeman as the incomparable Watson. The reincarnation of the original character is just lovely. Their relationship is like a perfectly imperfect marriage. A reality in which Watson knows he cannot survive without Sherlock. Sherlock becomes his irreplaceable partner, as is painfully brought forth in the final episode of Season 2 when he pleads with Sherlock's grave; "One more miracle for me, Sherlock. Don't be...dead. Would you do that for me?"
    I could continue on and on about the glorious characters, the impeccable acting abilities of main characters and side characters alike but I only have 5000 characters and am quite frankly it's late and I'm getting tired.
    What I can say for sure is what a perfect summation of a perfect rebooting of the perfect crime duo and, of course, who better to resurrect these characters than Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss. What a duo these two are! They have true love for these characters as well as they do for Doctor Who and it shows.
    I have waited with such anticipation for Season 3. Never before have I stayed so utterly tunnel visioned on a series. It is going to go down as one of the top 5 greatest reboots of a television series. I cannot wait.
  30. Apr 21, 2013
    Season 1 was amazing,
    Season 2 is even better.
    Every single episode has a better story, a better thriller and mystery.
    You can't take your eyes from the screen, an even though each episode is like has a whole movie length, you just don't want it to end! Brilliant!

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    May 7, 2012
    In season 2 of PBS's richly clever Sherlock, the Victorian tales have been refitted to our century. [14 May 2012, p.44]
    Sherlock is a wonderful series. Just thinking about it makes me smile.
  3. Reviewed by: Tirdad Derakhshani
    May 7, 2012
    Sherlock strikes a perfect--and delicious--balance among comedy, pathos, murder, and mystery.