9.0

1. May 8, 2012
    It would be difficult to find fault with even such a modern update of the most famous fictional detective. It is clever, it is witty, its humour is deliciously highbrow, the actors and actresses have superb performances - they are such a perfect fit considering the roles that they play - Moffat and Gatiss should be proud for what genius and creativity they have devoted to adapting the works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Need I say more? Expand
  2. May 7, 2012
    One of the best that I've seen so far on TV, Sherlock comes as a complete package. The actors Benedict Cumberbatch, Martin Freeman and Andrew Scott were very notable in their portrayals of the highly popular characters and perfectly cast with the other actors. The cleverly-written scripts were spot-on, with the humor introduced just in the right places and the dialogues very well thought out and appealing to a wide range of viewers. Highly recommended for the fans and non-fans alike. Seriously, don't compare, just watch and appreciate the show. Expand
  3. May 8, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Brilliant show, a perfect reboot for the modern era! Very well written and acted. Only one irk - the characterisation of Moriaty is rubbish! "Super camp" definitely wasnt the way to play that role! At least we won't be seeing him in season 3! Expand
  4. May 7, 2012
    If you don't like this show, there is something wrong with you. Sherlock is an amazing, brilliant show. Benedict and Martin are fantastic in their respective roles, as well as everyone else(especially Andrew Scot as Moriarty). If you can't stand this show, stick to Guy Ritchie's dismemberment of the series. This Sherlock is modern, but it's clever and exciting. All three episodes are great, but the first one and the Reichenbach fall are the best. Expand
  5. May 6, 2012
    Ingenious. Intelligent. Challenging. Witty. Unique. Probably the best television from England for years. It really is a must watch for the more discerning viewer.
  6. Sep 8, 2012
    Something great happens when every element of a show are gathered together in perfection. The shooting style, the clever dialogues, the terrific performance and the magnificent story telling make BBC1's Sherlock the best version of Conan Doyle's investigator. As always, British dramas make difference in Telly. Long live Sherlock!
  7. Jun 29, 2012
    It is one of the greatest mystery television series ever made and one of the best presently on TV.The performances of Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman along with the writing of Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss make this modern adaptation of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes pure fun and entertainment.
  8. May 20, 2012
    The best T.V show ever, prefer it over the films.
    I laughed, I cried and I was baffled by amazing unpredictable twists with a great cast. Everyone needs to see it!
  9. May 7, 2012
    This show is absolutely the most fantastic thing I've ever watched. The Reichenbach Fall was simply superb, and the funny thing is, I was extremely adverse to watching Sherlock in the beginning, as I was afraid the modernization of it would ruin it for me, but I was (happily!) proven wrong :)
  10. Oct 6, 2012
    Could not be more pleased with this series. After having watched this and attempting the new American version "Elementary", I found I could no longer stomach such a placating to viewership as found on the remake. "Sherlock" is simply exciting. It thrills with jolts of intellect and plot, and brings it all home with character development and the promise of more to come. It has easily made my top ten list of all time, and I assure you, I do not rate it a perfect 10 lightly. Expand
  11. May 11, 2012
    Haven't seen 12 in, um, a very long time, and I think this series is wonderful. This coming from someone who has read all the novels and seen just about every Holmes movie ever made. This particular version wonderfully captures the character of Holmes and Watson for a new day and age.
  12. May 20, 2012
    Simply put it, the first and last episode of the second season is by far the best television I've seen in many years. The series are loyal to the books with outstanding overall performances that are able to layer the characters and give them the required depth and complexity, while keeping it humorous and witty. If you are a S.H. fan, you own it to yourself watching this series.
  13. May 29, 2012
    The Sherlock Homes here is more of an Oscar Wilde than an Holmes in more ways than one, which happens to be a good thing. And a way better version then the one from the recent movies, that one is just horrible.
  14. Jun 3, 2012
    ICONIC! From the phenomenal performances, music, story and witty dialogue! Truly, a love letter Conan Doyle will surely treasure. I cannot recommend it more.
  15. Jan 19, 2013
    Even better than season 1. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are stunning; I'm completely in love with their relationship and I cannot wait to see what else Sherlock has to offer.
  16. Dec 20, 2013
    The second series of Sherlock improves upon the first with its unpredictability, emotional weight, and once again, brilliant acting by all the characters.
  17. May 19, 2012
    DAT ENDING in The Reinbach Falls. The other episodes aren't much better than the first season but the last one is more of a movie. Worth a look if you want to end up thinking WTF.
  18. Apr 20, 2013
    Sherlock is an incredible show. What Sherlock Holmes was always meant to be and more!
    A must watch! The acting is fantastic to go along with a brilliant plot.
  19. May 29, 2012
    Very likely one of the greatest television shows running, the second season continues on the fantastic acting, mind-bending plots, and scathingly witty writing of the first. A slightly bland second episode, venturing too far into generic television territory plot-wise jars a bit with the unity of the series, but on the whole, "Sherlock" remains the pinnacle of quality television.
  20. Feb 1, 2014
    Another great season for the modern retelling of the old Sherlock Holmes stories. This season was particularly known for dealing with 3 of the most popular things ever done in the SH novels. The introduction of a well-known character, a classic storyline known by almost everyone, and the fateful meeting between Sherlock and his nemesis, Moriarty. While they did a good job with the first two, the last one was so far removed from everything else the series has done that I cannot say I enjoyed it at all. I felt it was a severe disappointment as the final episode had a different tone and a different way to tell the story. I was honestly so disappointed in how it played out but I am definitely excited to start Season 3 here soon. While the final episode here was awful, I'm more than excited to see what will happen next. Expand
  21. May 13, 2012
    Wow. And I thought series one was as good as it gets. Sherlock season 2 is one of the best television series I have ever seen. Just about everything seems to be upped from season one, and season one was already brilliant in so many ways. Each of the 3 episodes are ten out of ten in my eyes and I could happily watch them over and over. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are as great as ever as well as all of the supporting cast but the stealer for me was Andrew Scott as Moriarty. He is the reason why the final episode of the three is absolutely jaw dropping and he is just a joy to watch. The visual effects seem to be bigger and better than season one, you can definitely tell that the shows budget has increased and it deserved the increase! Overall fantastic writing, directing and acting all wrapped into one fantastic show, you have to watch this! Expand
  22. May 27, 2012
    It is so exciting (and rear) to witness a production that has comedy, psychology, mystery, and terror all in one show. But the modern day Sherlock accomplishes it with an absolute perfect rhythm. Genius. Thank you actors, writers, and the like. 11/10
  23. Jun 4, 2012
    Tight, suspenseful, witty, and quick...season 2 picks up pretty much where season 1 left off. Grafting contemporary settings onto the classic literary character, Conan Doyle's character is suited quite well for the internet, gps and smart phones with Doctor Watson not only trying to catch up with Holmes but the ace detective's abilities to leverage daily technologies as well. Eps can get bogged down with a bit too much wordplay "one-up's manship" but producers/writers Moffat and Gatiss know how to spin their yarn and keep the dynamic duo moving forward...touching old, established story line and stringing up brand new ones. Expand
  24. Aug 29, 2012
    Sherlock is one of the best series I have ever watched, and I can say it again and again. Outstanding direction, cinematography and the background score; I could not stop noticing them throughout the series. Benedict Cumberbatch shines as Sherlock Holmes once again. I don't like the characterization of Jim Moriarty though, looks kinda lame and annoying, maybe he was born that way. If you haven't watched this show yet, this is definitely a must watch for you. And don't be sad, there's another season yet to come. Sherlock, all the way. Collapse
  25. Jul 6, 2012
    I seriously enjoyed this season of Sherlock. By the end, it had me aching for more. Clever stories, clever acting, and clever directing. You really cannot go wrong here!
  26. Jul 16, 2012
    Sherlock Holmes never fails to disappoint. After a brilliant season 1,he's back with an absolutely mind blowing season 2. Benedict Cumberbatch is brilliant and convincing as ever. Martin Freeman is as usual perfect. This is the best TV out there. Creators Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat have done an incredible job.
    The only thing that's bumming me out is that I have to wait till next year
    to see Sherlock again. Expand
  27. Jul 30, 2012
    I love this series. The characters are fantastic, love the humor is so typically English, which means perfectly times and witty. Awesome modern twist on an old classic. Can't wait for the next season
  28. Jan 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Season 2 of Sherlock picks up right where it left off. Moriarty and Sherlock have each other at gunpoint when, all of a sudden, 'Staying Alive' starts playing?? It's Moriarty's phone, and it turns out he has to go. Uh...

While this isn't exactly the follow-up I was hoping from The Great Game, I have to admit that it was one laugh-out-loud moment. It's smart humour too; can you imagine Andrew Scott's Moriarty having a different ringtone? I do hope that phone call comes back into play, since it seemed nothing but an easy and comedic way out, but given Morality's fate this Season, things are looking bleak.

After a slightly disappointing opening, A Scandal in Belgravia, does a great job as an individual arc. I say individual arc but I really hope Lara Pulver's character, Irene Adler returns. As a skilled dominatrix, she uses her sexual powers to get into Sherlock's head. After Irene's - um - interesting first impression, they ensue in physiological warfare that comes dangerously close to flirtation (although Sherlock would never admit it).

If Sherlock could care about any woman, it'd be Irene. She's a clever character, and although she used her wits initially to attack Sherlock, she was ultimately a tool in Moriarty's game. Sherlock obviously grew quite fond of her, saving he life by the episode's end. And this from a high-functioning sociopath.

One thing that DID bug me about this episode was a sexist/homophobic undertone. Irene is supposedly a lesbian but she falls head-over-heels in love with Sherlock. Seriously? I do think this relationship has legs and hope Irene returns in the future but I'm hugely confused by Steven Moffat's decision to make her a lesbian. Or maybe I shouldn't be surprised since Moffat's reportedly quite the misogynist.

The Hounds of Bakersville is a weaker entry, in my opinion. It's at least marginally better than Season 1's The Blind Banker but like that episode, it feels stretched too thin over its 90 minute runtime. Not a whole lot to talk about here, just good old Sherlock and Watson case busting.

If you think think this is starting to sound like a Sherlock bashing session, then fear not: The Reichenbach fall is one of those TV episodes that make you want to just stand up and applaud once you're through. The intensity is dialled up a notch as Moriarty seeks to absolutely destroy Sherlock's life.

Moriarty, realizing Sherlock's friends are easier target, sets up elaborate traps for Sherlock to walk through, continually eating away at his stellar reputation. Moriarty lies without flinching, convincing people he was nothing more than an actor that Sherlock hired because he was bored, and that he has a code that can give a man all the power in the world. Almost getting himself imprisoned was just part of his plan to ruin Sherlock too. Moriarty wasn't pulling any punches.

Moriarty does his best but Sherlock ends up victorious in the end, somehow staging his own suicide, while Moriarty actually did the same. how exactly Sherlock survived the fall is unclear and was a major talking point during the show's hiatus.

And I haven't even talked about Watson. Things were complicated between him and Sherlock but Freeman's last few scenes were very emotionally touching. Sherlock may have been arrogant but he was Watson's friend.

Sherlock Season 2 is everything Season 1 promised to be. With season 3 airing soon in America, let's hope that another two years don't go by without this excellent series.
  29. Sep 17, 2013
    The first episode of season 2 made me realise that I was watching something special, a feeling the first season failed to induce in me. The portrayal of Irene Adler was iconic and unique. She is a dominatrix in every sense of the word_ intellectually, physically, emotionally. Funny and deceitful at the same time. I found myself falling for her. Anyway, that was not the only thing that they got right. The relationship between the Holmes boys was explored, and I found that I cared about Mycroft as well. He really does care about his little brother. The plot was inventive and takes you places. Watson, however, takes a backstage this time around, and oddly, I did not care about it so much as there were other greater things going on about.

All I can say is that the book (The Hound of the Baskervilles) was better than the adaptation. But it was still worthwhile watching the episode, but not by much.

The third episode was very creative and ended with something I did not fully understand. Moriarty seemed to be underwhelming earlier, with his child-like tantrums, but the actor played him with resolve in this episode. Ingenious.
  30. Jan 29, 2013
    Let me first say that I absolutely love this show, and it is because the show is so good that I set the bar very high for each episode, considering there are only 3 per season. The first episode of this season was phenomenal in every way, probably my favorite of the series thus far. The second episode was not as good, and I struggled with some plausibility issues, and it did get confusing at times. The third and final episode was better than the second, but not as good as the first, though it was a great cliffhanger ending and I was very entertained throughout. Ep1: 10, Ep2: 8, Ep3: 9, which is coincidentally the same score I gave to each corresponding episode in the first season. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    May 7, 2012
    In season 2 of PBS's richly clever Sherlock, the Victorian tales have been refitted to our century. [14 May 2012, p.44]
    Sherlock is a wonderful series. Just thinking about it makes me smile.
  3. Reviewed by: Tirdad Derakhshani
    May 7, 2012
    Sherlock strikes a perfect--and delicious--balance among comedy, pathos, murder, and mystery.