8.5

1. Jan 22, 2014
    I am compelled to write this as I feel there is nothing worse than a series which starts good, becomes great and falls so far from grace its unreal. For me its classic BBC. Like Luther, the popularity becomes such that it feels its untouchable and it can get away with the quirky and the overdramatic. Sherlock season 3 is a disorganised nose dive from season 2. For me Scandal in Belgravia was one of the finest episodes of any series ever - the series started to show its bbc quirkyness with the introduction of the camp moriarty and the gay innuendo between Watson and Sherlock which is completely out of place and adds nothing to the story. Season 3 was simply forgettable in every sense. The explication of Sherlocks return was handled appallingly. His media stardom and the silly detectives Empty hearse group just seems so far from reality and the show loses all credibility thereafter. Without trying to spoil the 'twist' at the end of ther series - cheap ....is the only way i can describe it. "did you miss me" does anyone care???? Expand
  2. Jan 19, 2014
    First episode was okay, second episode was cringe-inducing but pretty solid, and the third episode was weirdness that ended with sherlock being cool when no one else would. There's some parts that are stupid, and they slather a ton of jokes over it all to cover up where there's plot nonsense. It comes out alright.

I couldn't help but think of it as "Sherlock Holmes and The Hobbit" this
    whole season. Expand
  3. Jan 20, 2014
    I hate this show, I know I'm alone on an island but the term style over substance fits it perfectly. Super close up shots of Sherlock's eyes, camera work to induce travel sickness, texts on screen and at least a dozen slow motion or film in rewind shot, the one thing it lacks is a story. What made Sherlock Holmes so popular was the writing of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, the cases were superb with a incredible depiction of Victorian London. This has none of that its a mess and Professor Moriarty is the one of the worst casting decision in the history of television. If people want to watch the Sherlock Holmes try ITVs version staring Jeremy Brett at least a hundred time better than this pile of modern crap. Expand
  4. Jan 20, 2014
    Sherlock in series one and two was a good show, now the excessive and frankly unbearable fan service has ruined it (especially in the first episode). The second episode was stronger due to its unique narrative structure, but still struggled from the same problems. The third episode was terrible and featured a massive cop-out of an ending.

Also, is anyone going to remember the villain
    from this season? I know I won't. This show has lost its touch. Expand
  5. Jan 19, 2014
    After a year and a half hiatus, the greatest British television phenomenon since Doctor Who proves that, going into its third season, it's not planning on slowing down or falling for third season slump. BBC's Sherlock, which features electrifying writing, high-end production, and absolutely phenomenal acting, hits the ground running in its first episode, resolving the cliffhanger of the decade from season two while warmly inviting its viewers back into its slick crime-solving, ego-busting milieu.
    If there is one thing in this first episode that stands out as particularly laudable, it is Martin Freeman's dazzling portrayal of John Watson. After spending more than a year coping with the traumatic suicide of his closest friend (the feelings run so deep, some will speculate it goes beyond platonic), he reacts to the untimely and jocular return of Sherlock with such passion and credibility that he uncompromisingly validates - no, reifies - no, objectifies the character he has been able to establish with only nine hours of television. If Freeman (and to a lesser extent, Cumberbatch) are not showered with nominations by around this time of the year in 2015, you can be rest assured I will throw a fit.
    Glossy visual effects create more elaborated manifestations of Sherlock's enigmatic thought processes (more words are floating in mid-air, more images and memories whoosh by the screen to the sound of beeping technology and murmuring voices), but it's always for the better. Although some may consider the crime the duo solve in the first episode to be a little underdeveloped and convoluted, any returning fan (I included) will proudly proclaim how blown away they were by what is arguably the most impressive season premiere in Sherlock history. Unsurprisingly, the Brits at BBC have done it again.

FINAL SCORE: 97.5 (almost perfect ---------------o----- perfect)
  6. Feb 1, 2014
    In this season Moffat and the gang have given up the pretense that this is a mystery program and have presented us with unadulterated Conan Doyle themed Yaoi. The plots are tortured there is no mystery individual scenes are clever but lend nothing to the plot. (but how could they there is no plot). I guess we should be grateful there are only 3 episodes per season.
  7. Jan 27, 2014
    This show has redeemed itself (in spades) with episode 2 (John's wedding). Absolutely masterful. Cumberbatch is peerless, probably the best of the current crop of American and British actors. I now feel confident that "Sherlock" is on the way to a 10 rating.
  8. Jan 22, 2014
    This modern garbage storytelling should not be allowed to carry the Sherlock name in any respect. This is weak writing and is a slap in the face to people that really like mysteries. This is the equivalent of a bad star trek movie. The opening scenes in the first episode are laughable. The quality of the production is cheap.
  9. Jan 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I've had it with Sherlock and the pretentious way it presents itself.
    It isn't smart.
    It isn't funny.
    And it's downright insulting to your intelligence.

Where to start?
    Everything about the first episode is styled to make you want to like a **** who-apparently-informed everyone in his life except the one man he calls friend. And as the rest of the group never bothered to tell the pained and scarred friend. No. That's melodrama meant to distract you from the fact that the creators never had a way out for the end of season 2.
    Then comes the really painful part. Episode 2. That was SO much better written, acted, directed and overall a better production than 1, it was what I expected to see in a Sherlock show. I have nothing but praise for that episode because it's so well done.
    Shame episode 3 came along to F0ck that all up.
    Episode 3 has good points, characters like Magnussen should have been seen far more in this iteration of Holmes than has been shown. Lars Mikkelsen played the perfect counter to Holmes in this, he was as smart as him-if a little creepier than I'd like-and the type of person who can be a mirror to Holmes, something like 'he's the type of person I would be if not for you, John.'
    Shame that the title character is so off base again that I couldn't stand him in a single scene.
    Pretentious...totally and utterly pretentious, this isn't a slight against Cumberbatch, he's a terrific actor, but the role and lines in this episode were utterly crap.
    And the reveal at the end...well I hate to use too much profanity, but Gatiss and Moffat, you can go away and never touch Sherlock again as far as I'm concerned.
    Because that reveal was a load of Donkey Bollocks. And it's just reset the writing to season 1 level now, we'd passed this, it was over with. You'd written yourselves into a position where it would mean the show would end.
    LET IT! Not all shows have happy endings, look at The Soprano's for god sake, just as he'd reunited his family after all the **** as his daughter sees him as she's coming in, BAM!
    But as this is a staple of the British Broadcasting Company now, as it's raking in a load of money, why not wring as much out of it as possible, eh?
    What matter to literary integrity when you can line your pockets?
    I'm done, Sherlock is dead to me now, he died as he hit the pavement in season 2, I'm not buying this boxset just for one good episode.
    I'm done.
  10. Jan 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sherlock Season 3 focuses on character development much more than it has in previous Seasons. While fans may love this shift, I feel that this Season, specifically the first two episodes, suffer from the lack of an interesting core mystery.

The first episode, The Empty Hearse, deals with the fall-out of the cliffhanger. I feel like this episode would've benefited from a B-level case, rather than the huge terrorist threat we're given. It's odd since it feels rushed and uninteresting throughout. One of Sherlock's deductions relied on withheld information too, which is sort of frustrating for the viewers.

I think The Empty Hearse's biggest problem is that it tries to do too much. Yes, this is a 90 minute program but the aftermath of last Season's big cliffhanger weights down half of what makes Sherlock good: the suspense and mystery. The episode does decently fulfil its purpose, however.

Episode one suffered from an interesting case all the way through, but the second episode (The Sign of Three) manages to build intrigue, only to fall apart at the end. Someone who can stab people seemingly through walls is an interesting premise, but the conclusion is one big 'wtf?' moment. Surely, you'd feel it if someone stabbed you, no matter how tight your belt is. And you definitely wouldn't just walk into the shower after pulling out a blade. Sherlock introducing us to the case in his best man speech was a good idea in theory, but this is just poor writing.

There is quite a bit to love about this episode though. Sherlock admitting that he cares about someone other than himself was a huge moment for the character and the series as a whole. We even see this pay off in the finale. There's more great character stuff too, including more hints that Mary isn't who she says she is. There's also some hilarious moments, but I don't think a three episode Season can really afford having a lull in the middle.

In true Sherlock fashion, after a weaker second entry, the third episode (His Last Vow) comes back in full from. I've talked about some of the problems I had with the first two episodes; perhaps the most criminal is not giving Charles Augustus Magnussen enough of a build-up. Charles is an expert blackmailer who pushes people around thanks to his super computer of a brain. He's the most Sherlock-esque villain of the series, and it's not much of a stretch to imagine Sherlock ending up like him if he hadn't have met Watson. That's why it was so powerful symbolically to have Sherlock kill Charles at the end. It also explains why this Season decided to focus so much on character development this time around.

The show is called Sherlock but Freeman's performance as Watson may be his best yet. Learning his wife was lying to him all this time was heartbreaking for poor Watson and Freeman does an amazing job of reflecting the character's emotion.

The reveal at the end about Moriarty's return is something I'm looking forward to with cautious optimism, given this series' murky reputation regarding cliffhangers. They also have to give us a clear explanation as to how Moriarty lived (assuming this wasn't a pre-recorded message) because they can't just bring everyone back to life and expect fans not to lose interest. Notwithstanding, Moriarty's return probably only means good things for the series, making Season 4's wait all the more tantalizing.
  11. Jan 19, 2014
    Still my favourite show! Season 3 exceeded my expectations and it was just as good as the previous 2 series. Brilliant! Better than a lot of the rubbish on at the moment!
  12. Jan 29, 2014
    Sherlock is now one of the best recent series, but it still have that agonizant problem of having only three episodes per season wich is really traumatizing
  13. Jan 21, 2014
    this is probably catering towards a larger audience, the series packs a lot of drama,delves more into character development, and relationships... but falls kinda flat when it comes to what Conan Doyle's canon is known for, mysteries/story-telling
  14. Jan 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hooray, Sherlock is back! But, I cannot help but to add the comment -- "slightly disappointing."

The opening scenes explaining the failure of Sherlock's suicide seemed initially ridiculous but I did feel they were eventually funny, clumsy funny, but funny. The whole of Episode 1 of Season 3 seemed essentially contrived. Bits and pieces pasted together to produce a show without much cohesion and, frankly, not a heckuva lot of humor (humour?). Martin Freeman was his reliable old Dr. Watson Self. Mr. Cumberbatch, on the other hand, indulged himself in a bit too much of mugging rather than comic acting. I hope he is not becoming impressed with his legion of teeny-bopper fans.

I still enjoyed the show but it definitely paled in comparison with the first two seasons. Oh, and the music is different and much less creative and interesting.
  15. Jan 22, 2014
    Just like first two season, this third was great. Very good from start to the end. It is ok to don't like this show, but this is 21st century and Sherlock is now modern detective and he acts according to time he lives in. The best way to enjoy all this, is to watch all nine episodes.
  16. Jan 22, 2014
    The third season is amazing, Sherlock is my favorite series, this season is the best one up to now, The show is very intelligent, the casting is totally amazing, the story will surprise each second, you will be looking forward to the next season in the end of this one.
  17. Jan 29, 2014
    Oh lord, where to start. When this series had just started, I sat there thinking "Finally, a show without the 'emotional interpersonal drama' that so plagues just about every single series in every TV show ever." [I'm not talking about basic human interaction, I mean the whole 'you lied to me' I'm sorry' 'I can't believe you anymore, I'm leaving' 'baby come back blah blah' that even Breaking Bad cannot shake] Previous seasons were case-oriented, character building, to the point. And then there's this season...It's so...melodramatic? Disconnected? Soap Opera-y? Overly stylistic? I feel like the Sherlock and John we knew from seasons 1 and 2 are no longer with us, especially Sherlock. He's grown so emotional and, although I suppose this is more personal than anything, no longer relatable. God I am disappointed. Also if the gay fan-service wagon is not in your interests, watch out, the whole season's peppered with it. I don't mind but it made a few of my friends stop watching because of such. Expand
  18. Jan 25, 2014
    It took me a while to come around to this show, but I kept wanting to come back and re-watch all the episodes over from the beginning. This season starts off strong, but episode 2 is stellar and makes the whole season great. The 3rd episode is the weakest to me though. The villain is an interesting complement to Sherlock, but its ending is bothersome. Still, a great season though.
  19. Feb 5, 2014
    The best series in the world right now. Ok I am being a little overdramatic but this Sherlock is one of the best masterful tv-series. Stories, acting, end result. It’s really like seeing a trilogy on the cinema. A very well done to the creators. Masterful!
  20. Jan 23, 2014
    This season of Sherlock brought everything I wanted it to bring. If there is a flaw to this installment of the series, I would say that it is trying to hard to be good to its fans. The performances, the writing and the new cast member are all excellent.
  21. Jan 21, 2014
    The third series of Sherlock is the best so far. With a change from plot-driven episodes to character-driven ones, this helps the show to evolve emotionally. Plus, great acting from the leads and a terrific new villain helps to cement this as one of the best and most clever shows on television.
  22. Jan 22, 2014
    this was even better than the last one which is almost impossible. its hard to believe that some people hate this show its incredible this is the greatest to happen to entertainment since doctor who and breaking bad. apparently the creators of the show were not expecting this show to be a hit let alone a global phenomenon
  23. Jan 23, 2014
    Thank for Moffat and Gatiss that make Sherlock be more human which is should be. The cases are not bad but the reunion is great. The stories mimic the canon in sophisticated way. I love this season more than the previous two and I repeatedly watch it until now. :)
  24. Jan 30, 2014
    Another outstanding season and well worth the wait mind you, it's truly a treat to get to start the year with some new sherlock episode's. Granted each season ends after three episodes so you aren't watching sherlock episodes for very long, but the sheer length of each episode you'll hardly care. And if by any chance you haven't seen this fallen in love with sherlock and watson get to it and watch it !!!! to those of you who have seen the entire series thus far will know what i'm talking about.... but to those who haven't seen this season and are fans i'll say this episode sherlock has you attention, episode 2 your curiosity and episode 3 the show will have your allegiance(like it didn't already) Expand
  25. Feb 8, 2014
    The third season of Sherlock, respectively, provided little quality entertainment. This season, in my opinion, completely threw off the series. In the first two seasons, Sherlock was quite a show, and the writers orchestrated such a unique, witty performance. However, this third season didn't live up to the name. In the first episode of this season, we find out how Sherlock faked his death, which by the way, isn't answered until the end. Even when you find out how he did it, you've got to admit, it's a bit disappointing. All the questions surrounding it were answered with such simplicity, it wasn't even funny. Speaking of which, Sherlock pulled a number of tricks on Dr. Watson (which weren't funny at all) that were, simply put, irritating and repetitive. The humor was that of a child: it's not funny when people get hurt, writers. In the second episode of the season, John is getting married and Sherlock gives a speech, being the best man. That's pretty much the entire episode. This is, by far, the worst episode of the entire series. In Sherlock's speech, he talks about a murder they haven't solved. Okay, in a wedding, have you ever heard a speech about murder? No! The speech should only be about the bride and the groom!!! Worst writing ever. During the speech, there are flashbacks to the murder and finally in present day, they solve it. However, it would've been 100% more logical to simply have the events in order, leading up to the wedding. The murder story was fine, it's just the order and way it was written that ruined the episode for me. And last, but certainly not least, the third and final episode of the season. It starts out with one of the most interesting story lines yet--Sherlock is found doing drugs, Dr. Watson finds out Sherlock has a girlfriend, and an evil mastermind knows all secrets against all kinds of powerful people and using their secrets against them. Wow. This kind of story is why I stuck watching Sherlock, even through their worst episodes. The story picks up and gets Sherlock on a roll, finally focusing on the brilliant detective he is. Everything is superb up until the ending. #1: That was beyond stupidity for Dr. Watson to destroy the USB drive about his wife's real identity and then turn to Sherlock to go to great lengths to get the information he destroyed, from the villain they are facing. #2: The villain is not even worthy to be called a villain because he isn't doing anything wrong. #3: The cliffhanger is not necessary and is really misleading. With all that said, I give this season of Sherlock 4/10 stars. It wasn't horrible, but it was still pretty bad. The third episode saved the series, in my opinion. If some fans even withstood the first two episodes to get to the last episode. Overall, if you want to watch the third season of Sherlock, just skip to the last episode. The first two are pointless. Expand
  26. Apr 9, 2014
    Love it!!! Season 3 is better than the previous seasons. Can't wait for season 4. Sherlock basically spoiled me from other shows that are almost the same type.
  27. Mar 9, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sherlock is one of my favourite shows. It's unique, cerebral and compelling, and I love both male leads. That said, I was disappointed with Season 3. Here's why (with SPOILERS): Firstly, they got carried away with their popularity and ended up catering too much to the excitable fanbase. In giving us what they thought we wanted, they threw all their energy into action sequences and John and Sherlock's relationships (with each other, with their families, with their friends...). 3.1 focussed on John and Sherlock's friendship, 3.2 on John and Mary's wedding and Sherlock's loneliness, and 3.3 on John and Mary's marriage crisis. I found myself longing for Moriarty or Irene Adler to show up and throw a spanner in the works. Mark Gatiss also wrote himself into the story more than was necessary. Secondly, and as a consequence of all this, the stories were less complex and satisfying than usual. I guessed a few plot twists before they happened, which is rare for me because I'm stupid. For example, in 3.1 it was obvious that the [spoiler] was the killer. In 3.2 it was obvious that Watson was sitting at the end of the darkened hallway. In 3.3 it was obvious from early on that Magnussen had a "mind palace" in lieu of actual vaults. Thirdly, fast-paced and cliched action sequences were shoehorned into the plot to compensate for actually story. Sometimes it felt more like "24" than "Sherlock." Sherlock racing through the streets of London to rescue John from a bonfire, Sherlock diffusing a bomb on a train, and most ridiculously, Sherlock shooting the villain to resolve a complex problem. I have a major issue with this sorry excuse for a plot device, because in theory Sherlock could solve all crimes by simply putting a bullet through the criminal's head. In fact, I don't know why he didn't do it sooner in Magnussen's case. It wasn't surprising or clever. On TV, people shoot each other all the time. Sherlock is supposed to be different. And finally, the characters were simply less compelling. Sherlock and John's friendship was unnecessarily sentimental (why did we need to go with them on a bachelor's PUB CRAWL?!?), John and Mary's conjugal bliss is pedestrian, and even Sherlock's relationship with his brother and parents is overly schmaltzy. Magnussen was a repugnant and unappealing villain. While they may be psycopaths, Sherlockian nemeses are supposed to be DELICIOUSLY evil, so that we love to see them on screen. Magnussen, with his "fish eyes," and creepy habits like urinating in fireplaces, eating saucy olives off other people's plates, licking people's faces and flicking their eyeballs, was just icky. His motivations were not obvious, and I couldn't really even work out why anyone cared about him. I didn't. The whole season suffered for lack of a compelling arch-nemesis, so I was relieved to see a glimpse of Moriarty in the end, and I hope the next season will hail a return to the mind-bending plots of seasons past. Because I still prefer it to just about anything else currently airing. Expand
  28. Jan 20, 2014
    Great way to start the series. It may be the most lighthearted episode than previous, but what a great way to start the series. Benedict Cumberbatch continues to show why he's the best Sherlock Holmes, and his chemistry with Martin Freeman's John Watson is amazing
  29. Feb 3, 2014
    Best television there is right now. Best show I've seen since.... I can't think of a television show I've enjoyed more. If you demand a tv show cater to you instead of following where it leads, you probably should stick to safer, boring television. Season 3 definitely took a bit of a risk defining the characters to a greater degree. But, its still the best thing on television and is still light years from the ridiculous soap opera that Downton Abbey has become. Expand
  30. Jun 5, 2014
    While I loved a lot of the previous episodes, in season 3 the explanation of Sherlocks death was disappointing, the wedding episode much too streched out and as in the other seasons, everything regarding Moriarty a joke.
  31. Jan 19, 2014
    Just finishing up series 2 and I can seriously rate this as one of the best TV shows to date. I would rate this as high as Breaking bad, if you've seen this then you'll know how high of a praise that is.

Stop reading reviews and watch it!
  32. Jan 20, 2014
    From the handling of the end of season 2 to the progression and continuation of events involved with this season, Sherlock seems to have outdone itself. It has kept it's charm and amplified it tenfold with more humor and heart than the prior two seasons had to offer. I kept changing my new favorite episode of the show throughout the season as the writers kept adapting these classic tales so flawlessly into our modern world. I've read through a compilation of Doyle's original (the size of that tome gives me bragger's rights), and I can help noting that I feel this is one of those special cases where the movie (well, TV serial) outshines the book(s) it is based on. The worst part is waiting for more. Expand
  33. Jan 22, 2014
    + Amazing Story.
    + Amazing development of the characters personalties.
    + Plot twists that will confuse you like a Rubik's cube.
    - Can drag on with new longer episodes.
    - The series only featured 3 episodes.
  34. Jan 25, 2014
    Yet another perfect portrayal of the reason why we love this show so much. Seems true that English Entertainment has actually reached new highs. The show did focus on character building, but that did not lessen the build-up to the Season nor did it spoil the enjoyment we usually expect from the show in way of either marvelous theories and gripping plots which was replaced with, to some extent, inter-person relationships and character formation hinting to a far grander Season 4 ahead. The acting in this season is the best ever and a joy to watch. Hats off to the best show ever in my opinion. Expand
  35. Mar 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Series 3 was spectacular. It was perfect in every way. People complain about underuse of Moriarty and because of that they didn't like the new villian. I loved Charles Augustus Magnussen. It was a great character. My only dissapointment is we didn't have an entire series about him like Moriarty. I do think that they shouldn't bring Moriarty back just yet. They should've focused more on Magnussen. Still a perfect series for a magnificent show. Expand
  36. Feb 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Disappointing

Being in love with Sherlock after the first two seasons i was even more frustrated watching the third season. Why? Lots of changes are maid regarding the characterization of sherlock, the characters around him and the main subject, the cases.
    Season 3 tries in general to make Sherlock Holmes more social, more human. This is maid by the people around him who missed him so much, the new „family“ member Mary Watson and various characters with powers of deduction as well. Unfortunatly that does not do any good. While i understand that the creators are somehow interested in pushing Sherlock in that direction it makes him simply more ordinary. Being so untouchable, so unsocialized and so deductive are the reasons for him being such an extraordinary person. But since he is now part of a family, people starting to really like him, some drug addict, some child, some criminal are "deduct ors" as well Sherlock is very weakended in being so unique.
    On the other hand the 3rd season tries to make Sherlock some kind of superagent who is dealing no longer with ordinary crimes but only with matters oft he greatest importance. Of course terrorism and stuff. There is only ONE real case in all the three seasons and that one is the highly unbelieveable „Bloody Guardsman“ (I am stabbing myself in the belly with my belt, then I am going to a wedding, eating, drinking and not feeling that there is a blade in my stomach? Lucky he did not have to pee in between... After so many really great cases in the first two seasons this is almost insulting). The rest is some whatever stuff connected mostly around Mary Watson and the national security.
    But the worst thing came to us at the end of episode three. Sherlock Holmes is now a murderer. Because he wanted to protect Mary Watson (who is „of course“ not only some woman, no, she is ex-secret service, special agent 00X, responsible for killing various people and almost killed Sherlock himself). But killing someone really evil (unfortunatly the script is not able to make the victim really hatred. It tries hard showing us how really, really mean this man is but still he does not deserve to be murdered in cold blood) does more damage to Sherlock than al the humanizing stuff. Sherlock is an „anti-hero“ but he is not an **** as he states himself in the wedding speech. He is a man with principles. He is definitly not a murderer.
    The style itself is still good but you can see the need of the producers to be even more genius. Having Sherlock in his "vault" to survive being shot was great but why also picturing him as a child? This is symptomatic to the desire of the series of being even more extraordinary.
    I am really hoping for the next season to being more devoted to storytelling and interesting cases. Get rind of Mary Watson and a lot of the new and changed faces. Get Sherlock and Watson back into the field solving extra- "ordinary" crimes like in the first two seasons.
  37. Apr 29, 2014
    The third Season of Sherlock was enjoyable. Episode One was the best of three though. It used all the elements of the past seasons and used them well. My only problem was that Episode Three was a little confusing at times, but overall this is a good season. Season Four can't come soon enough.
  38. Aug 9, 2014
    Dis they just changed the whole writers team? That would be the only thing that could explain that insane drop in watchability from the first to seasons to the third.
    Seriously. I can't watch this, and especially when compared to the other seasons. It's like a new series. Bad puns are coming in in uncount numbers, absolutely no feeling of any seriousness, total change in characters. I
    moan a good TV series. Expand
  39. Jul 1, 2014
    Pretty much the best show on television. The ONLY drawback is that there are only 3 episodes per season, but they are each basically double episodes, so 6-ish. Still, infinity is not enough episodes of Sherlock.
  40. Feb 20, 2014
    This series for me is the weak link of the three that have been made so far; it maintains the same visual style and eccentric wit of the previous series, however this one felt like it was lacking both a sense of direction and also menace. 'The Empty Hearse' for obvious reasons is the main draw as we finally get the revelation of how Sherlock escaped his grisly fate at the end of the previous series. It carries the emotional heft and also the humour that has made this arguably the best television show in Britain at the moment. Cumberbatch and Freeman are extraordinary as always but this time I felt that they were dealing with slightly less compelling material. The standard is so high however that this is all still top quality with great moments littered throughout the three stories but compared to the threat and stakes involved with series 1 and 2, series 3 feels like a slight come down. Still looking forward to the next one however. Expand
  41. Jan 23, 2014
    This is still a brilliantly entertaining series but the introduction of Mary has made things go down hill somewhat. She's such a boring character, even when you find out more about her. Really bland and lifeless. Reminds me of David Brent's girlfriend in the office. I don't see the point of even making John's wife such a central character.

The first two episodes are superb but the third
    takes a serious nose dive in terms of where they've decided to go with the plot, It looks like they're running out of ideas and are just content to keep rehashing old ones. But it's only one episode out of 9 that's let me down a bit. Still an amazing programme and keeps me laughing and entertained throughout Expand
  42. Mar 28, 2014
    No surprise that it was another fantastic season of Sherlock, my personal favourite show on right now, can't wait for series 4. If you aren't watching this show, you should, it's smart, funny, tense and all sorts of drama mixed in to a 90 minute episode.
  43. Sep 8, 2014
    Not sure what happened here - Steven Moffat clearly lost the plot. Unclever, boring and often out of character, this didn't sit well with me at all. Won't bother with the DVD.
  44. Apr 21, 2014
    Sherlock Holmes has always been the fascination of crime investigation fans all over the world. Many would like to imagine what would he be if had all the modern technology at his disposal to solve crimes, he'd simply be an automated crime solving machine. The makers have wonderfully imbibed the technologies of this era to take this version to a whole higher level. Plus the equally matched counterpart villains make it the must watch of the century. No matter what you understand about Sherlock, he shall always baffle you in the end. Expand
  45. Feb 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love the use of canon, while still keeping it modern, showing Holmes in the now, but still keeping him as separate from humanity, and bringing him closer. He's shown to be an arrogant ass, and people miss the brutal honesty that seems to be going away, but they forget this is exactly how the real homes was, a cocky bastard, to someone who saw humanity for what it was, but was still very polite- to an extent. I loved Charles Magnesson, he wasn't the Joker to Holmes' Batman like Moriarty, like some ultimate evil, he was literally just a disgusting human being. Whoever that actor was showed that very well, it's a real talent to make me be sick to my stomach of a person that isn't a complete psychopathic murderer. Honestly, did any one else question themselves as to what they would do if someone flicked your face like that? Expand
  46. Feb 11, 2014
    I find it amusing how people rant on about the modernization of Sherlock Holmes from the short stories and novels. I've read the entire collection and I went through a phase of Sherlock fanaticism, but part of the show is bringing Sherlock to a modern realization. In that case, they do an excellent job of showing Sherlock's wild personalities for bouts of random experiments, displays of cold ruthlessness, and his drug habit. They reference many things from the collection. It's not like it's abandoned to the wayside.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's work was never intended to be realistic either. How often in the collection is there some unknown villain or some trifling detail revealed after the crime is solved. It's not meant for us to be able to solve the crime, but it's to see the colorful characters that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote.

To this extent, the TV show has it down to an absolute perfection. The interaction of Holmes and Watson is what makes the series, and Amanda Abbington (I believe that's her name) does an excellent job as Mary. I will say that I was kind of miffed with the alteration they did to her character, but overall they did an excellent job fitting Mary into the group.

I continue to be impressed, and once more, I am eagerly waiting.
  47. Feb 22, 2014
    Yes! Sherlock is back for more, and it is great, the show kept me intrigued, and it didn't disappoint at all, yes maybe the wedding episode was kinda ehhh, but I still can't wait for more.
  48. Jan 24, 2014
    Overall, the episode is well done. We meet Watson soon to be Fiance Mary Morstan, Sherlocks brother Mycroft (played by Gatiss) and a small scene where we meet Sherlock's parents (played by Cumberbatch's real parents, Timothy Carlton and Wanda Ventham). In this episode it seems we have seen all of the plot and action in other movies, all be it from the 2010. Hopefully it gets better
  49. Feb 12, 2014
    Phenomenal! Gatiss and Moffat are brilliant. Performances are outstanding and production value are excellent. The actors have lives outside the program, which will not lead to typecasting worries. Plots are packed with intrigue and humor. Love it!
  50. Apr 15, 2014
    they really downgraded this show from previous 2 series this time, and lowered the IQ of the show and many audience's as well.

let's just say that i prefer there's no series 3 at all, and Sherlock show should just end at series 2 for good.

although there are still some good acting, music and cinematography at some moments in series 3, but the writing, plots or stories just suck and
    are not even believable or logical at time, plus character assassination to Sherlock himself (just counting how many times in the episodes you don't believe the things he said, the way he acted or the cold blood killing itself). do we really believe this is THE Sherlock ACD created? really? no, this series showed only a genius detective no more! Expand
  51. Jun 13, 2014
    We LOVED the first two season of Sherlock, which were based on Sir. Arthur Conan Doyle's works; however, this third season is more into personalities and "emoting" than plot or story structure. The two episodes so far were filled with flashbacks, memories, and opium dreams. I'll have to talk my husband into watching the third episode against his better judgment. This is the "Monarch of the Glen" problem. A hit show tries to attracts additional demographics, becomes soap opera-esque, and ruins a fine series that could have gone on for a decade. Drama is a poor second to believable stories based on human behaviors. Expand
  52. Jul 21, 2014
    Good but not excelent. Some things just don't add up logically which is weird since sherlock is portrayed as being deservingly arrogant. I mean who has a name as password for his account as a high security national intelligence agency chief or something like that, no way anyone can guess a password like that.
  53. Sep 20, 2014
    With a slightly disappointing but still good first episode and a slow start to episode 2 from the middle of episode to its starts to get to what i loved about the first 2 seasons and the final episode was great.

EP1- The Empty Hearse 8.7/10
    EP2- The sign of Three 8.9/10
    EP3- His Last Vow 9.5/10 overall 9.0/10

1. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    Feb 20, 2014
    The writing is still incredibly crisp, so smart, and never boring, and the deeper focus on relatable emotion, particularly in the definition of the relationship between Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch) and Watson (Martin Freeman), could even bring in new fans to this international phenomenon.
  2. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Jan 22, 2014
    The show is at its best in such moments, these sequences that capture the semi-virtual, semi-real ways that we think, and feel, and meet, and connect today. It’s a rare attempt to make visible something that we take for granted: a new kind of cognition, inflected by passion, that allows strangers to think out loud, solving mysteries together.
  3. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    Jan 21, 2014
    When you're smart men writing about the smartest man of all, you may feel the need to demonstrate your smarts in every possible way, with every beat of the story. But Holmes and Watson are such enduring characters, and these versions written and played so well, that they don't always require such elaborate mental gymnastics.