Season #: 1, 2, 3
8.5

1. Nov 10, 2014
    The third series of Sherlock is the best so far. With a change from plot-driven episodes to character-driven ones, this helps the show to evolve emotionally. Plus, great acting from the leads and a terrific new villain helps to cement this as one of the best and most clever shows on television.
  2. Jan 19, 2014
    After a year and a half hiatus, the greatest British television phenomenon since Doctor Who proves that, going into its third season, it's not planning on slowing down or falling for third season slump. BBC's Sherlock, which features electrifying writing, high-end production, and absolutely phenomenal acting, hits the ground running in its first episode, resolving the cliffhanger of theAfter a year and a half hiatus, the greatest British television phenomenon since Doctor Who proves that, going into its third season, it's not planning on slowing down or falling for third season slump. BBC's Sherlock, which features electrifying writing, high-end production, and absolutely phenomenal acting, hits the ground running in its first episode, resolving the cliffhanger of the decade from season two while warmly inviting its viewers back into its slick crime-solving, ego-busting milieu.
    If there is one thing in this first episode that stands out as particularly laudable, it is Martin Freeman's dazzling portrayal of John Watson. After spending more than a year coping with the traumatic suicide of his closest friend (the feelings run so deep, some will speculate it goes beyond platonic), he reacts to the untimely and jocular return of Sherlock with such passion and credibility that he uncompromisingly validates - no, reifies - no, objectifies the character he has been able to establish with only nine hours of television. If Freeman (and to a lesser extent, Cumberbatch) are not showered with nominations by around this time of the year in 2015, you can be rest assured I will throw a fit.
    Glossy visual effects create more elaborated manifestations of Sherlock's enigmatic thought processes (more words are floating in mid-air, more images and memories whoosh by the screen to the sound of beeping technology and murmuring voices), but it's always for the better. Although some may consider the crime the duo solve in the first episode to be a little underdeveloped and convoluted, any returning fan (I included) will proudly proclaim how blown away they were by what is arguably the most impressive season premiere in Sherlock history. Unsurprisingly, the Brits at BBC have done it again.

FINAL SCORE: 97.5 (almost perfect ---------------o----- perfect)
  3. Jan 27, 2014
    This show has redeemed itself (in spades) with episode 2 (John's wedding). Absolutely masterful. Cumberbatch is peerless, probably the best of the current crop of American and British actors. I now feel confident that "Sherlock" is on the way to a 10 rating.
  4. Jan 22, 2014
    The third season is amazing, Sherlock is my favorite series, this season is the best one up to now, The show is very intelligent, the casting is totally amazing, the story will surprise each second, you will be looking forward to the next season in the end of this one.
  5. Jan 29, 2014
    Sherlock is now one of the best recent series, but it still have that agonizant problem of having only three episodes per season wich is really traumatizing
  6. Jan 23, 2014
    This season of Sherlock brought everything I wanted it to bring. If there is a flaw to this installment of the series, I would say that it is trying to hard to be good to its fans. The performances, the writing and the new cast member are all excellent.
  7. Jan 21, 2014
  8. Jan 22, 2014
    Just like first two season, this third was great. Very good from start to the end. It is ok to don't like this show, but this is 21st century and Sherlock is now modern detective and he acts according to time he lives in. The best way to enjoy all this, is to watch all nine episodes.
  9. Jan 19, 2014
    Still my favourite show! Season 3 exceeded my expectations and it was just as good as the previous 2 series. Brilliant! Better than a lot of the rubbish on at the moment!
  10. Feb 5, 2014
    The best series in the world right now. Ok I am being a little overdramatic but this Sherlock is one of the best masterful tv-series. Stories, acting, end result. It’s really like seeing a trilogy on the cinema. A very well done to the creators. Masterful!
  11. Mar 4, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Series 3 was spectacular. It was perfect in every way. People complain about underuse of Moriarty and because of that they didn't like the new villian. I loved Charles Augustus Magnussen. It was a great character. My only dissapointment is we didn't have an entire series about him like Moriarty. I do think that they shouldn't bring Moriarty back just yet. They should've focused more on Magnussen. Still a perfect series for a magnificent show. Expand
  12. Jan 22, 2014
    this was even better than the last one which is almost impossible. its hard to believe that some people hate this show its incredible this is the greatest to happen to entertainment since doctor who and breaking bad. apparently the creators of the show were not expecting this show to be a hit let alone a global phenomenon
  13. Jan 23, 2014
    Thank for Moffat and Gatiss that make Sherlock be more human which is should be. The cases are not bad but the reunion is great. The stories mimic the canon in sophisticated way. I love this season more than the previous two and I repeatedly watch it until now. :)
  14. Jan 30, 2014
    Another outstanding season and well worth the wait mind you, it's truly a treat to get to start the year with some new sherlock episode's. Granted each season ends after three episodes so you aren't watching sherlock episodes for very long, but the sheer length of each episode you'll hardly care. And if by any chance you haven't seen this fallen in love with sherlock and watson get to itAnother outstanding season and well worth the wait mind you, it's truly a treat to get to start the year with some new sherlock episode's. Granted each season ends after three episodes so you aren't watching sherlock episodes for very long, but the sheer length of each episode you'll hardly care. And if by any chance you haven't seen this fallen in love with sherlock and watson get to it and watch it !!!! to those of you who have seen the entire series thus far will know what i'm talking about.... but to those who haven't seen this season and are fans i'll say this episode sherlock has you attention, episode 2 your curiosity and episode 3 the show will have your allegiance(like it didn't already) Expand
  15. Feb 3, 2014
    Best television there is right now.

Best show I've seen since.... I can't think of a television show I've enjoyed more. If you demand a tv show cater to you instead of following where it leads, you probably should stick to safer, boring television. Season 3 definitely took a bit of a risk defining the characters to a greater degree. But, its still the best thing on television and
    Best television there is right now.

Best show I've seen since....

I can't think of a television show I've enjoyed more.

If you demand a tv show cater to you instead of following where it leads, you probably should stick to safer, boring television. Season 3 definitely took a bit of a risk defining the characters to a greater degree. But, its still the best thing on television and is still light years from the ridiculous soap opera that Downton Abbey has become.
  16. Jan 20, 2014
    From the handling of the end of season 2 to the progression and continuation of events involved with this season, Sherlock seems to have outdone itself. It has kept it's charm and amplified it tenfold with more humor and heart than the prior two seasons had to offer. I kept changing my new favorite episode of the show throughout the season as the writers kept adapting these classic talesFrom the handling of the end of season 2 to the progression and continuation of events involved with this season, Sherlock seems to have outdone itself. It has kept it's charm and amplified it tenfold with more humor and heart than the prior two seasons had to offer. I kept changing my new favorite episode of the show throughout the season as the writers kept adapting these classic tales so flawlessly into our modern world. I've read through a compilation of Doyle's original (the size of that tome gives me bragger's rights), and I can help noting that I feel this is one of those special cases where the movie (well, TV serial) outshines the book(s) it is based on. The worst part is waiting for more. Expand
  17. Jan 25, 2014
    Yet another perfect portrayal of the reason why we love this show so much. Seems true that English Entertainment has actually reached new highs. The show did focus on character building, but that did not lessen the build-up to the Season nor did it spoil the enjoyment we usually expect from the show in way of either marvelous theories and gripping plots which was replaced with, to someYet another perfect portrayal of the reason why we love this show so much. Seems true that English Entertainment has actually reached new highs. The show did focus on character building, but that did not lessen the build-up to the Season nor did it spoil the enjoyment we usually expect from the show in way of either marvelous theories and gripping plots which was replaced with, to some extent, inter-person relationships and character formation hinting to a far grander Season 4 ahead. The acting in this season is the best ever and a joy to watch. Hats off to the best show ever in my opinion. Expand
  18. Jan 20, 2014
    Great way to start the series. It may be the most lighthearted episode than previous, but what a great way to start the series. Benedict Cumberbatch continues to show why he's the best Sherlock Holmes, and his chemistry with Martin Freeman's John Watson is amazing
  19. Jan 19, 2014
    Just finishing up series 2 and I can seriously rate this as one of the best TV shows to date. I would rate this as high as Breaking bad, if you've seen this then you'll know how high of a praise that is.

Stop reading reviews and watch it!
  20. Jul 1, 2014
    Pretty much the best show on television. The ONLY drawback is that there are only 3 episodes per season, but they are each basically double episodes, so 6-ish. Still, infinity is not enough episodes of Sherlock.
  21. Jan 23, 2014
    This is still a brilliantly entertaining series but the introduction of Mary has made things go down hill somewhat. She's such a boring character, even when you find out more about her. Really bland and lifeless. Reminds me of David Brent's girlfriend in the office. I don't see the point of even making John's wife such a central character.

The first two episodes are superb but the third

The first two episodes are superb but the third takes a serious nose dive in terms of where they've decided to go with the plot, It looks like they're running out of ideas and are just content to keep rehashing old ones. But it's only one episode out of 9 that's let me down a bit. Still an amazing programme and keeps me laughing and entertained throughout
  22. Mar 28, 2014
    No surprise that it was another fantastic season of Sherlock, my personal favourite show on right now, can't wait for series 4. If you aren't watching this show, you should, it's smart, funny, tense and all sorts of drama mixed in to a 90 minute episode.
  23. Apr 21, 2014
    Sherlock Holmes has always been the fascination of crime investigation fans all over the world. Many would like to imagine what would he be if had all the modern technology at his disposal to solve crimes, he'd simply be an automated crime solving machine. The makers have wonderfully imbibed the technologies of this era to take this version to a whole higher level. Plus the equally matchedSherlock Holmes has always been the fascination of crime investigation fans all over the world. Many would like to imagine what would he be if had all the modern technology at his disposal to solve crimes, he'd simply be an automated crime solving machine. The makers have wonderfully imbibed the technologies of this era to take this version to a whole higher level. Plus the equally matched counterpart villains make it the must watch of the century. No matter what you understand about Sherlock, he shall always baffle you in the end. Expand
  24. Feb 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I love the use of canon, while still keeping it modern, showing Holmes in the now, but still keeping him as separate from humanity, and bringing him closer. He's shown to be an arrogant ass, and people miss the brutal honesty that seems to be going away, but they forget this is exactly how the real homes was, a cocky bastard, to someone who saw humanity for what it was, but was still very polite- to an extent. I loved Charles Magnesson, he wasn't the Joker to Holmes' Batman like Moriarty, like some ultimate evil, he was literally just a disgusting human being. Whoever that actor was showed that very well, it's a real talent to make me be sick to my stomach of a person that isn't a complete psychopathic murderer. Honestly, did any one else question themselves as to what they would do if someone flicked your face like that? Expand
  25. Feb 11, 2014
    I find it amusing how people rant on about the modernization of Sherlock Holmes from the short stories and novels. I've read the entire collection and I went through a phase of Sherlock fanaticism, but part of the show is bringing Sherlock to a modern realization. In that case, they do an excellent job of showing Sherlock's wild personalities for bouts of random experiments, displays ofI find it amusing how people rant on about the modernization of Sherlock Holmes from the short stories and novels. I've read the entire collection and I went through a phase of Sherlock fanaticism, but part of the show is bringing Sherlock to a modern realization. In that case, they do an excellent job of showing Sherlock's wild personalities for bouts of random experiments, displays of cold ruthlessness, and his drug habit. They reference many things from the collection. It's not like it's abandoned to the wayside.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's work was never intended to be realistic either. How often in the collection is there some unknown villain or some trifling detail revealed after the crime is solved. It's not meant for us to be able to solve the crime, but it's to see the colorful characters that Sir Arthur Conan Doyle wrote.

To this extent, the TV show has it down to an absolute perfection. The interaction of Holmes and Watson is what makes the series, and Amanda Abbington (I believe that's her name) does an excellent job as Mary. I will say that I was kind of miffed with the alteration they did to her character, but overall they did an excellent job fitting Mary into the group.

I continue to be impressed, and once more, I am eagerly waiting.
  26. Dec 14, 2014
    To all those people saying this was the worst season of sherlock.. what is your problem? It was cleverly handled (you'll know what I'm talking about) it was delt perfectly. so why are you getting pissed??? Because steven moffat writes **** for Doctor Who and doesn't write **** for sherlock so sherlock is automatically bad?? No.. This isn't as good as season 2 but I'd say on par with seasonTo all those people saying this was the worst season of sherlock.. what is your problem? It was cleverly handled (you'll know what I'm talking about) it was delt perfectly. so why are you getting pissed??? Because steven moffat writes **** for Doctor Who and doesn't write **** for sherlock so sherlock is automatically bad?? No.. This isn't as good as season 2 but I'd say on par with season 1. brilliant television! I loved every minute of it's screening.. excellence! can't wait until season 4... 3 years away apparently.. 2017.. ahh **** life. Expand
  27. Feb 22, 2014
    Yes! Sherlock is back for more, and it is great, the show kept me intrigued, and it didn't disappoint at all, yes maybe the wedding episode was kinda ehhh, but I still can't wait for more.
  28. Dec 6, 2014
    Sherlock continues to be funny, silly and still very smart. In season three, the plot is even more complicated, and more exiting, but the show still keep its charming core. Cumberbatch and Freeman delivers at their best, in a show that appears to be more entertaining for every season.
  29. Feb 12, 2014
    Phenomenal! Gatiss and Moffat are brilliant. Performances are outstanding and production value are excellent. The actors have lives outside the program, which will not lead to typecasting worries. Plots are packed with intrigue and humor. Love it!
  30. Sep 20, 2014
    With a slightly disappointing but still good first episode and a slow start to episode 2 from the middle of episode to its starts to get to what i loved about the first 2 seasons and the final episode was great.

EP1- The Empty Hearse 8.7/10
    EP2- The sign of Three 8.9/10
    EP3- His Last Vow 9.5/10 overall 9.0/10
  31. Feb 21, 2015
    I think the thing i enjoyed most about series 3 was the character building. Sure the Overall arc was a bit dull, yet the why the show built up its main characters was fantastic, the show made them develop, sometimes its good to slow things down and let the characters shine Through dialog and actions, instead of the action being the centre of attention.

1. Reviewed by: Brian Tallerico
    Feb 20, 2014
    The writing is still incredibly crisp, so smart, and never boring, and the deeper focus on relatable emotion, particularly in the definition of the relationship between Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch) and Watson (Martin Freeman), could even bring in new fans to this international phenomenon.
  2. Reviewed by: Emily Nussbaum
    Jan 22, 2014
    The show is at its best in such moments, these sequences that capture the semi-virtual, semi-real ways that we think, and feel, and meet, and connect today. It’s a rare attempt to make visible something that we take for granted: a new kind of cognition, inflected by passion, that allows strangers to think out loud, solving mysteries together.
  3. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    Jan 21, 2014
    When you're smart men writing about the smartest man of all, you may feel the need to demonstrate your smarts in every possible way, with every beat of the story. But Holmes and Watson are such enduring characters, and these versions written and played so well, that they don't always require such elaborate mental gymnastics.