Season #: 1, 2, 3
9.1

1. Jun 9, 2014
    Sherlock season 1 is great, but never has a show so instantly established itself as classic, and then imploded. Seasons 2 is OK. Season 3, what I saw of it, was terrible. I've given up watching. The show has become so frantic in its pacing and how it is shot, like a 50 minute music video, that I just can't take it anymore. I think some shots are so short they must occupy half a frame ofSherlock season 1 is great, but never has a show so instantly established itself as classic, and then imploded. Seasons 2 is OK. Season 3, what I saw of it, was terrible. I've given up watching. The show has become so frantic in its pacing and how it is shot, like a 50 minute music video, that I just can't take it anymore. I think some shots are so short they must occupy half a frame of film. Also, rather than understand Sherlock's reasoning, as we did in season 1, the explanations in season 3 are not explanations at all. They are just pretend explanations that come and go so quickly we are not even meant to understand them, which makes the show boring. I wish the show were still like season 1. In other words, just dramatize the story, and cut out all the post production jazz overdubs and visuals and all that hyperactive nonsense. If you have so little faith in your story that you have to dress it up with all this gibbering nonsense, don't even bother telling it. It's annoying. I'm going back to re-watch the 1980s-90s Sherlock Holmes, the definitive series with Jeremy Brett, which by the way this series copies very very much in terms of Sherlock's personality. I've bid goodbye to this ADHD Attention Deficit Disordered version. Enough is enough. Expand
  2. Dec 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sherlock is perhaps one of the better conceived BBC shows that have come out in the last decade, unfortunately for the show, it doesn't live up to the idea.
    I've got no problems with Steven Moffat, he's a great writer and producer, but I just can't get into the feel of the show, it's got nothing to do with the shorter series time-in fact, I prefer series that are shorter, IMO it makes the story better-but there's something about the show that I couldn't initially put my finger on.
    With the 'Holmesian' explosion in the media of late, there's been a lot of takes on Holmes and while some would prefer the more traditional appeal of Sherlock from the books, the edgy feel of characters being 'darker' has been an easy one to lean on lately-and at first I thought that was the problem with Sherlock, but having a somewhat cold and unemotional Sherlock would fit if you transplanted the character to the 21st century.
    For me, the feel of the show went really wrong when in the first episode of season 1- Phil Davis' character screamed the name of the 'Big Bad' in the series so far, Moriarty. I really dislike entering the most well known bad guy in the Holmes story so very early, for me it's sloppy and easy writing, I would prefer using characters and bad guys from the Holmes universe that are perhaps less well known than Moriarty, it could have given the show more scope. i.e.: The Red Headed League, Milverton or 'Holy' Peter would work just as well.
    And on the topic of Professor James, I really disliked the character of James 'Jim' Moriarty, it's no slant against Andrew Scott-he's wonderful. It's just, I prefer the more subtle feel of Moriarty-the best performance of that in recent years in Jared Harris in the film A Game of Shadows, for me it's more interesting that a man of genius level intellect can sit facing someone else and merely smile, have a cup of tea and talk pleasantly while they both play a game of mental chess to figure a way of defeating the other. The Modern take on Moriarty seems to lean too much on a John Simm 'The Master' of Dr Who for a genius 'Napoleon of Crime'.
    With Season 3 looming on the horizon, I'm hoping for a more powerful, possibly more interesting story than what's been shown so far.
  3. Dec 9, 2012
    Great cast and an imaginative concept. Poor character development and annoyingly muddled plots. The result entertaining but annoying because it could have been so much better with a more well written script.
  4. Mar 6, 2012
    Sherlock, it's enough pertinent to the Doyle's novels, BUT the character is very boring because is something already seen.
    This show is terribly old, because Sherlock Holmes was already in every "detective show".

Monk? Psych? Even Poirot or Doctor House, they were already a Sherlock Holmes before this "Sherlock" came. I'm sorry but - mediocre.
  5. Aug 24, 2010
    I found it a bit pretentious. We all know Sherlock Holmes is a brilliant man. When did he become such an overbearing egomaniac? Give me Basil Rathbone any day.

1. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Dec 8, 2010
    Clearly, there are few more durable figures in fiction, but capturing the fundamental appeal of Holmes is quite another matter. And on that level, Sherlock cannily cracks the case.
  2. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    Oct 24, 2010
    Thanks to committed performances from Cumberbatch and Freeman, and clever writing from Moffat and Gatiss, most of it works splendidly.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Oct 24, 2010
    It is cinematic in the sense that nothing in it looks quite real. But it works: This is not the London known as jolly and old, but the new chilly city of glass, a place of missed connections, of aliens and alienation. And the smart dialogue and warm performances--even Holmes has a discernible beating heart, or perhaps two--keep ice from forming on the production.