Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4
9.1

1. Sep 9, 2010
    A very entertaining contemporary version of the classic. The new Sherlock is even more of an obnoxious prick (and, as Willow would say "slightly gay") than the legendary Jeremy Brett and the new dr. Watson might just be my favourite yet. The writing is smart and crisp and we even get the on screen graphics to follow the processing of clues. I sincerely hope there will be a series 2.
  2. Aug 15, 2010
    An absolutely brilliant murder mystery. All the 3 episodes were genius. I won't say how it ended, but it was a corker!!!! I Really hope there's gonna be a season 2!!!!
  3. Aug 12, 2010
    BBC's answer to House MD. A brilliant, bull-headed mind working through puzzles in a china shop atmosphere.Supporting characters spend most of their time catching fragile egos knocked off their perch while the main character charges after the solution. Fun, slightly lower production polish than House, and satisfyingly long episodes. Enjoy!
  4. Aug 24, 2010
    I found it a bit pretentious. We all know Sherlock Holmes is a brilliant man. When did he become such an overbearing egomaniac? Give me Basil Rathbone any day.
  5. Pat
    Aug 27, 2010
    This is a fantastic "show." I put that in quotes because it is essentially 3 movies. Each episode an hour and a half. The writing is incredible as to be expected from Dr. Who writer Steven Moffat. The acting is just as superb. The cast is great from start to finish. It is rare to find a show or movie where there is not a single below excellent cast member. Highly recommend this.This is a fantastic "show." I put that in quotes because it is essentially 3 movies. Each episode an hour and a half. The writing is incredible as to be expected from Dr. Who writer Steven Moffat. The acting is just as superb. The cast is great from start to finish. It is rare to find a show or movie where there is not a single below excellent cast member. Highly recommend this. Season 2 has apparently been announced by the producers. Expand
  6. Feb 15, 2014
    Sherlock is my equal favourite television series of all time, including Doctor Who.

This series has [arguably] the smartest writing on modern television and it feels cinematic with a bit of a flamboyant British feel to it. My favourite episode of the series, so far, would have to be A Scandal in Belgravia. The episode is rife with action, witty dialogue, political cover-ups and a

My favourite episode of the series, so far, would have to be A Scandal in Belgravia. The episode is rife with action, witty dialogue, political cover-ups and a story where everything comes full-circle; not one story detail is forgotten. P.S. Irene Adler was wonderful in this episode, her censored cleavage and all.

If you love television that feels truly big with outstanding acting and writing, Sherlock is the show for you. Benedict Cumberbatch breathes new life into the character of Sherlock Holmes and Martin Freeman portrays John Watson in a very down-to-earth way, but craves action: e.g. A Study in Pink.
  7. Aug 29, 2010
    UTTERLY intriguing, excellent dialogue. plots: They are elaborate, yet, totally spectacular. Sherlock will compel you to the edge of your seat and captivate you with this twenty-first century adaptation. Benedict does a good job as Sherlock Holmes .
  8. Feb 1, 2011
    Times have moved on and so too has Sherlock Holmes. Basil Rathbone in the noughties of this millennium would simply not have worked. I can't say I can compare this to the recent big screen version "Sherlock Holmes", but what I can say is the writing is top notch as too is the acting. Having watched 1 episode, I wanted another and another right there and then. I felt like a child who justTimes have moved on and so too has Sherlock Holmes. Basil Rathbone in the noughties of this millennium would simply not have worked. I can't say I can compare this to the recent big screen version "Sherlock Holmes", but what I can say is the writing is top notch as too is the acting. Having watched 1 episode, I wanted another and another right there and then. I felt like a child who just had it's first Ice Cream. If only I could have indulged! Just how many times have you turned to your partner and said "Just how good was that"? I know I did. I simply can't wait for the new series. Expand
  9. Sep 18, 2010
    This show is genius, all the way through. Perfectly cast, beautifully acted, and brilliantly written. Blows other recent versions of Holmes out of the water, and rightly so. It is a fantastic modernisation of a classic character, and it does not lose any of the original charm, if anything, adding to it.
    Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are masterful in their performances, and as a pair they work fantastically.
    This show will appeal to those who are familiar with the Sherlock Holmes books, and those who aren't. It will appeal to adults and children, and anyone else who loves a decent drama. Except this one is a drama with a wonderful twist.
    I cannot recommend it enough.
  10. Oct 26, 2010
    Fast pacing, superb storytelling, and terrific acting make this a must see! Cumberbatch is a joy to watch as the manic Holmes. Freeman is excellent as the stoic Watson. Great chemistry! Great dialogue!
  11. Oct 28, 2010
    This is some of the most brilliant writing, editing, acting and direction I've seen in quite awhile. Kudos to the BBC for this one! I wish more American TV writers took a cue from their British counterparts and didn't dumb down their programs so much for us.
  12. Oct 30, 2010
    What a treat! I love the way the have updated the characters to reflect the master sleuth and his level headed friend to reflect modern times. The characters of Sherlock and Watson are brilliantly played and the action maintains a steady pace. Have watched the opening show many times and am looking forward to the next Masterpiece Mystery this Sunday. Way to go PBS!
  13. Dec 3, 2010
    Mr Cumbersnatch does an excellent job as a younger Holmes and matey from the office fits the role of Watson perfectly. Holmes now uses technology to solve crimes, which is done very well. The show has slick editing and music that builds tension as Holmes solves his crimes. It's very suspenseful and supremely entertaining. I loved Guy Ritchie's film last year and this series reminds me ofMr Cumbersnatch does an excellent job as a younger Holmes and matey from the office fits the role of Watson perfectly. Holmes now uses technology to solve crimes, which is done very well. The show has slick editing and music that builds tension as Holmes solves his crimes. It's very suspenseful and supremely entertaining. I loved Guy Ritchie's film last year and this series reminds me of it a little. Oh yeah - and Moriati's awesome. Expand
  14. Nov 3, 2010
    A great revitalisation of Conan Doyles, classic books brought into the modern era. The script is sharp, the acting is good and it still retains the values that made Sherlock the character he was in the books. Definitely one of the years best TV programs
  15. Nov 7, 2010
    This is a very well made and well written series. I love the fresh take on Sherlock Holmes and the fact that they stayed so true to book character. I only wish they were releasing more than 3 shows!
  16. Mar 23, 2011
    I found all three episodes thus far to be great! It definitely leaves you wanting more. Can't wait for season 2!
  17. Feb 22, 2012
    I am very disappointed with this series, I expected much better, especially after reading the reviews on this web site, unfortunately the series is not credible at all, with unrealistic scenes, Watson limps and walk with a cane, the next scene he runs like an athlete at the Olympic games, I certainly understand that it is a fiction, but I don't agree with this new version, Conan Doyle mustI am very disappointed with this series, I expected much better, especially after reading the reviews on this web site, unfortunately the series is not credible at all, with unrealistic scenes, Watson limps and walk with a cane, the next scene he runs like an athlete at the Olympic games, I certainly understand that it is a fiction, but I don't agree with this new version, Conan Doyle must be turning in his grave if he saw his work transformed like that Expand
  18. Dec 23, 2010
    I was intrigued by the teasers for this show and since I am a life long Holmesian I had to watch.
    This is brilliant. Dominc Cumberbatch's Holmes is the absolute pitch perfect 21st century "edtiion".
    I love the lighting and the ways they bring in hints from Victorian times like Cumberbatch's hair cut and that wonderful swirling overcoat and scarf he wears. His body movement is amazing. He BECOMES Holmes and yet definitely puts his own stamp on the character and it's a deliberately modern stamp....AND the great thing is you buy it....you go with it ....he just takes you away. The long suffering Watson is now the tough guy partner who will not hesitate to use force and he always has his partner's back. Watching him at first so sad, war weary and skeptical and then becoming mesmerised by Holmes' impossible knack for pursuing excitement and danger was a treat. The stories are modern takes on the originals so you see events and hear names that harken back to the books.
    So many wonderful films and TV shows come out of the UK and we love them for it.....but this? This is a wonder on so many levels. I had to watch the first episode twice because I couldn't believe how brilliant it was. Thank you Masterpiece Mystery for this wonderful realisation of our beloved Sherlock.
  19. Dec 30, 2010
    BRILLIANT series! As someone who has always felt that "Jeremy Brett IS Holmes," I'm the kind of person that would normally be put off by a modern update. But this one is so perfectly done, so accurately captures the spirit of the canon, the actors so charming and the writing so smart, there is no way you cannot fall in love. Some of the best television I've seen in years. There need to beBRILLIANT series! As someone who has always felt that "Jeremy Brett IS Holmes," I'm the kind of person that would normally be put off by a modern update. But this one is so perfectly done, so accurately captures the spirit of the canon, the actors so charming and the writing so smart, there is no way you cannot fall in love. Some of the best television I've seen in years. There need to be more than three episodes! Expand
  20. Jan 4, 2011
    ....To think that T.V. programs like NCIS, CSI or SVU would have eliminated any chance for writers to come up with something genuine and original, then something like this comes along and completely demolishes your perspective of the murder/mystery - fantastic! Saying that this mini-series paves the way for the next age in crime fighting is nothing short of an understatement.

Now, where

Now, where to start? The most subtle and yet wholesomely effective technique that I want to praise is the typography and graphics that pop up throughout the episodes - it definitely reflects today's fast pace nature of this world. The only thing I've come across that comes close to this sort of graphical wonder (and I am by no means a television sleuth) is from the game Heavy Rain. Both of them have a very different take on the genre, but their use of flashy text and drawings makes you want to erase the idea that a pen and paper was all you needed to solve a crime.

Worst part of each episode is when it ends, because you're like, "wtf, but I didn't want it to end!" Seriously, when you watch them you'll try to accuse the episode for having gaps in the story, even though from start to finish you're compelled by how well rounded each episode is. The only 'actual' problem is that it kinda does have gaps in the story in such a way that the pace of the series seems a little to fast. But again, the amount of stuff it covers makes the length of the episode seem short overall.

The actors are frikkin' amoayzing! The main actor portrays his role so well, I think it has actually affected the popularity of the script writers and....dare I say it, the producer as well. The guy that plays the brother is ambiguously powerful, and the arch enemy dude is like nothing I have seen! The least impactive actor would probably be that sidekick guy, but the compliment to the main actor is definitely there.

So, 10/10 overall. Hopefully when the second series comes out later this year, I'll die 'after' the final episode, you know, just in case that the level of awesomeness comes so greatly that I have a heart attack, aneurysm or find $2000 in my pocket.
  21. Jan 5, 2011
    Impressive and entertaining in just about every way. Great acting, excellent and intriguing plots, top-notch cinematography and music, and an ideal mix of humour and action. Martin Freeman is very good as Holmes, but this is a star-defining turn for Benedict Cumberbatch. After the first few minutes, you can't imagine anyone playing this character other than him. Quite a performance. MyImpressive and entertaining in just about every way. Great acting, excellent and intriguing plots, top-notch cinematography and music, and an ideal mix of humour and action. Martin Freeman is very good as Holmes, but this is a star-defining turn for Benedict Cumberbatch. After the first few minutes, you can't imagine anyone playing this character other than him. Quite a performance. My favourite thing? it doesn't attempt to explain the fact that it's a modern version of an old story. For example, Sherlock here isn't presented as the great-great nephew of Sherlock Holmes via some tedious back story. It just basically says "Accept the premise as is and hop on for a great time." Hopeful for more, but highly appreciative even if it ends here. Expand
  22. Jan 18, 2011
    Extremely entertaining show. When I first heard about 'Sherlock Holmes in a modern setting,' I was (justifiably) skeptical. However, the writers managed to first gain intrigue, and then present the story of Sherlock Holmes without destroying the integrity of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's timeless stories. The writing, hand-in-hand with Cumberbatch's performance as a sociopathic genius whoExtremely entertaining show. When I first heard about 'Sherlock Holmes in a modern setting,' I was (justifiably) skeptical. However, the writers managed to first gain intrigue, and then present the story of Sherlock Holmes without destroying the integrity of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's timeless stories. The writing, hand-in-hand with Cumberbatch's performance as a sociopathic genius who possesses no understanding of how humans are supposed to act, makes this series a very strong must-watch. Expand
  23. Feb 23, 2011
    Outstanding. I love short stories and this series has absolutely nailed it on the head. Great plot twists. I actually guessed who-dun-it in the first episode but as soon as it entered into my head I dismissed it. But that is what is fun because the action ensued and I was caught up in the chase and engrossed in Sherlock's problem solving skills.
  24. ksb
    Feb 20, 2011
    I really enjoy the actors who play the new Sherlock Holmes and John Watson. The story is well progressed up to modern times, and I am anxiously awaiting the resolution to the Season 1 cliffhanger.
  25. Mar 7, 2011
    Fabulous series - I love the text assist on the screen to help understand how Sherlock does his deduction. Nothing better than a modern Sherlock. I can't wait for Season 2!!!!!!!
  26. Mar 6, 2012
    Sherlock, it's enough pertinent to the Doyle's novels, BUT the character is very boring because is something already seen.
    This show is terribly old, because Sherlock Holmes was already in every "detective show".

Monk? Psych? Even Poirot or Doctor House, they were already a Sherlock Holmes before this "Sherlock" came. I'm sorry but - mediocre.
  27. Mar 27, 2011
    Wonderfully written, tastefully made! A great combination of fun and action. You wouldn't realize one episode is just as long as a movie, and it leaves you begging for more. Watch it!
  28. Aug 30, 2016
    For better or worse, depending on your point of view, Sherlock has that unmistakable Steven Moffat feel to it. The offbeat feel and fast paced scripts, that have been a staple of Doctor Who since it returned to our screens, are found in each of the feature length 3 episodes on offer here and it is all anchored by terrific performances from Cumberbatch and Freeman as Holmes and WatsonFor better or worse, depending on your point of view, Sherlock has that unmistakable Steven Moffat feel to it. The offbeat feel and fast paced scripts, that have been a staple of Doctor Who since it returned to our screens, are found in each of the feature length 3 episodes on offer here and it is all anchored by terrific performances from Cumberbatch and Freeman as Holmes and Watson respectively.

If you are particularly adverse to Moffat's style then its probably best to avoid Sherlock but for anyone else it is certainly worth watching.
  29. Mar 5, 2012
    Intelligently written and very well acted, just how television shows should be. My only gripe is it's only 6 episodes long (series 1 & 2). If you want a break from the dumb shows that plague our TVs today, then this show is for you.
  30. Ido
    Sep 6, 2011
    "Sherlock" is an excellent series. As the series progresses, it gets better, until the amazing climax at the end of this episode.
    the director has done a great job, he hasn't used too much effects, and instead he has used some amazing editing things like camera movement, unusual camera angles and very nice focus games. All these effects did the series, and this episode especially, so good.
    I want to point out that the music was amazing, too.
    the cast did their job on the best side. Cumberbatch gave us an excellent role, which I liked it more than Downey Junior's Sherlock Holmes.
    I hope that Cumberbatch will do the transition from TV to the big screen.
    The third episode's plot was very good, the director keep us suspense until the last minutes, with the amazing finish. What can I say? please give us more episodes, and not just 3 more. Elementary, my dear Watson.

1. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Dec 8, 2010
    Clearly, there are few more durable figures in fiction, but capturing the fundamental appeal of Holmes is quite another matter. And on that level, Sherlock cannily cracks the case.
  2. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    Oct 24, 2010
    Thanks to committed performances from Cumberbatch and Freeman, and clever writing from Moffat and Gatiss, most of it works splendidly.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Oct 24, 2010
    It is cinematic in the sense that nothing in it looks quite real. But it works: This is not the London known as jolly and old, but the new chilly city of glass, a place of missed connections, of aliens and alienation. And the smart dialogue and warm performances--even Holmes has a discernible beating heart, or perhaps two--keep ice from forming on the production.