Sherlock : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3
9.1

1. Aug 15, 2010
    An absolutely brilliant murder mystery. All the 3 episodes were genius. I won't say how it ended, but it was a corker!!!! I Really hope there's gonna be a season 2!!!!
  2. Pat
    Aug 27, 2010
    This is a fantastic "show." I put that in quotes because it is essentially 3 movies. Each episode an hour and a half. The writing is incredible as to be expected from Dr. Who writer Steven Moffat. The acting is just as superb. The cast is great from start to finish. It is rare to find a show or movie where there is not a single below excellent cast member. Highly recommend this.This is a fantastic "show." I put that in quotes because it is essentially 3 movies. Each episode an hour and a half. The writing is incredible as to be expected from Dr. Who writer Steven Moffat. The acting is just as superb. The cast is great from start to finish. It is rare to find a show or movie where there is not a single below excellent cast member. Highly recommend this. Season 2 has apparently been announced by the producers. Expand
  3. Feb 15, 2014
    Sherlock is my equal favourite television series of all time, including Doctor Who.

This series has [arguably] the smartest writing on modern television and it feels cinematic with a bit of a flamboyant British feel to it. My favourite episode of the series, so far, would have to be A Scandal in Belgravia. The episode is rife with action, witty dialogue, political cover-ups and a

My favourite episode of the series, so far, would have to be A Scandal in Belgravia. The episode is rife with action, witty dialogue, political cover-ups and a story where everything comes full-circle; not one story detail is forgotten. P.S. Irene Adler was wonderful in this episode, her censored cleavage and all.

If you love television that feels truly big with outstanding acting and writing, Sherlock is the show for you. Benedict Cumberbatch breathes new life into the character of Sherlock Holmes and Martin Freeman portrays John Watson in a very down-to-earth way, but craves action: e.g. A Study in Pink.
  4. Aug 29, 2010
    UTTERLY intriguing, excellent dialogue. plots: They are elaborate, yet, totally spectacular. Sherlock will compel you to the edge of your seat and captivate you with this twenty-first century adaptation. Benedict does a good job as Sherlock Holmes .
  5. Feb 1, 2011
    Times have moved on and so too has Sherlock Holmes. Basil Rathbone in the noughties of this millennium would simply not have worked. I can't say I can compare this to the recent big screen version "Sherlock Holmes", but what I can say is the writing is top notch as too is the acting. Having watched 1 episode, I wanted another and another right there and then. I felt like a child who justTimes have moved on and so too has Sherlock Holmes. Basil Rathbone in the noughties of this millennium would simply not have worked. I can't say I can compare this to the recent big screen version "Sherlock Holmes", but what I can say is the writing is top notch as too is the acting. Having watched 1 episode, I wanted another and another right there and then. I felt like a child who just had it's first Ice Cream. If only I could have indulged! Just how many times have you turned to your partner and said "Just how good was that"? I know I did. I simply can't wait for the new series. Expand
  6. Sep 18, 2010
    This show is genius, all the way through. Perfectly cast, beautifully acted, and brilliantly written. Blows other recent versions of Holmes out of the water, and rightly so. It is a fantastic modernisation of a classic character, and it does not lose any of the original charm, if anything, adding to it.
    Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are masterful in their performances, and as a pair they work fantastically.
    This show will appeal to those who are familiar with the Sherlock Holmes books, and those who aren't. It will appeal to adults and children, and anyone else who loves a decent drama. Except this one is a drama with a wonderful twist.
    I cannot recommend it enough.
  7. Oct 26, 2010
    Fast pacing, superb storytelling, and terrific acting make this a must see! Cumberbatch is a joy to watch as the manic Holmes. Freeman is excellent as the stoic Watson. Great chemistry! Great dialogue!
  8. Oct 28, 2010
    This is some of the most brilliant writing, editing, acting and direction I've seen in quite awhile. Kudos to the BBC for this one! I wish more American TV writers took a cue from their British counterparts and didn't dumb down their programs so much for us.
  9. Dec 3, 2010
    Mr Cumbersnatch does an excellent job as a younger Holmes and matey from the office fits the role of Watson perfectly. Holmes now uses technology to solve crimes, which is done very well. The show has slick editing and music that builds tension as Holmes solves his crimes. It's very suspenseful and supremely entertaining. I loved Guy Ritchie's film last year and this series reminds me ofMr Cumbersnatch does an excellent job as a younger Holmes and matey from the office fits the role of Watson perfectly. Holmes now uses technology to solve crimes, which is done very well. The show has slick editing and music that builds tension as Holmes solves his crimes. It's very suspenseful and supremely entertaining. I loved Guy Ritchie's film last year and this series reminds me of it a little. Oh yeah - and Moriati's awesome. Expand
  10. Nov 7, 2010
    This is a very well made and well written series. I love the fresh take on Sherlock Holmes and the fact that they stayed so true to book character. I only wish they were releasing more than 3 shows!
  11. Mar 23, 2011
    I found all three episodes thus far to be great! It definitely leaves you wanting more. Can't wait for season 2!
  12. Dec 30, 2010
    BRILLIANT series! As someone who has always felt that "Jeremy Brett IS Holmes," I'm the kind of person that would normally be put off by a modern update. But this one is so perfectly done, so accurately captures the spirit of the canon, the actors so charming and the writing so smart, there is no way you cannot fall in love. Some of the best television I've seen in years. There need to beBRILLIANT series! As someone who has always felt that "Jeremy Brett IS Holmes," I'm the kind of person that would normally be put off by a modern update. But this one is so perfectly done, so accurately captures the spirit of the canon, the actors so charming and the writing so smart, there is no way you cannot fall in love. Some of the best television I've seen in years. There need to be more than three episodes! Expand
  13. Jan 4, 2011
    ....To think that T.V. programs like NCIS, CSI or SVU would have eliminated any chance for writers to come up with something genuine and original, then something like this comes along and completely demolishes your perspective of the murder/mystery - fantastic! Saying that this mini-series paves the way for the next age in crime fighting is nothing short of an understatement.

Now, where

Now, where to start? The most subtle and yet wholesomely effective technique that I want to praise is the typography and graphics that pop up throughout the episodes - it definitely reflects today's fast pace nature of this world. The only thing I've come across that comes close to this sort of graphical wonder (and I am by no means a television sleuth) is from the game Heavy Rain. Both of them have a very different take on the genre, but their use of flashy text and drawings makes you want to erase the idea that a pen and paper was all you needed to solve a crime.

Worst part of each episode is when it ends, because you're like, "wtf, but I didn't want it to end!" Seriously, when you watch them you'll try to accuse the episode for having gaps in the story, even though from start to finish you're compelled by how well rounded each episode is. The only 'actual' problem is that it kinda does have gaps in the story in such a way that the pace of the series seems a little to fast. But again, the amount of stuff it covers makes the length of the episode seem short overall.

The actors are frikkin' amoayzing! The main actor portrays his role so well, I think it has actually affected the popularity of the script writers and....dare I say it, the producer as well. The guy that plays the brother is ambiguously powerful, and the arch enemy dude is like nothing I have seen! The least impactive actor would probably be that sidekick guy, but the compliment to the main actor is definitely there.

So, 10/10 overall. Hopefully when the second series comes out later this year, I'll die 'after' the final episode, you know, just in case that the level of awesomeness comes so greatly that I have a heart attack, aneurysm or find $2000 in my pocket.
  14. Jan 5, 2011
    Impressive and entertaining in just about every way. Great acting, excellent and intriguing plots, top-notch cinematography and music, and an ideal mix of humour and action. Martin Freeman is very good as Holmes, but this is a star-defining turn for Benedict Cumberbatch. After the first few minutes, you can't imagine anyone playing this character other than him. Quite a performance. MyImpressive and entertaining in just about every way. Great acting, excellent and intriguing plots, top-notch cinematography and music, and an ideal mix of humour and action. Martin Freeman is very good as Holmes, but this is a star-defining turn for Benedict Cumberbatch. After the first few minutes, you can't imagine anyone playing this character other than him. Quite a performance. My favourite thing? it doesn't attempt to explain the fact that it's a modern version of an old story. For example, Sherlock here isn't presented as the great-great nephew of Sherlock Holmes via some tedious back story. It just basically says "Accept the premise as is and hop on for a great time." Hopeful for more, but highly appreciative even if it ends here. Expand
  15. Jan 18, 2011
    Extremely entertaining show. When I first heard about 'Sherlock Holmes in a modern setting,' I was (justifiably) skeptical. However, the writers managed to first gain intrigue, and then present the story of Sherlock Holmes without destroying the integrity of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's timeless stories. The writing, hand-in-hand with Cumberbatch's performance as a sociopathic genius whoExtremely entertaining show. When I first heard about 'Sherlock Holmes in a modern setting,' I was (justifiably) skeptical. However, the writers managed to first gain intrigue, and then present the story of Sherlock Holmes without destroying the integrity of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's timeless stories. The writing, hand-in-hand with Cumberbatch's performance as a sociopathic genius who possesses no understanding of how humans are supposed to act, makes this series a very strong must-watch. Expand
  16. Feb 23, 2011
    Outstanding. I love short stories and this series has absolutely nailed it on the head. Great plot twists. I actually guessed who-dun-it in the first episode but as soon as it entered into my head I dismissed it. But that is what is fun because the action ensued and I was caught up in the chase and engrossed in Sherlock's problem solving skills.
  17. ksb
    Feb 20, 2011
    I really enjoy the actors who play the new Sherlock Holmes and John Watson. The story is well progressed up to modern times, and I am anxiously awaiting the resolution to the Season 1 cliffhanger.
  18. Mar 7, 2011
    Fabulous series - I love the text assist on the screen to help understand how Sherlock does his deduction. Nothing better than a modern Sherlock. I can't wait for Season 2!!!!!!!
  19. Mar 27, 2011
    Wonderfully written, tastefully made! A great combination of fun and action. You wouldn't realize one episode is just as long as a movie, and it leaves you begging for more. Watch it!
  20. Mar 5, 2012
    Intelligently written and very well acted, just how television shows should be. My only gripe is it's only 6 episodes long (series 1 & 2). If you want a break from the dumb shows that plague our TVs today, then this show is for you.
  21. Ido
    Sep 6, 2011
    "Sherlock" is an excellent series. As the series progresses, it gets better, until the amazing climax at the end of this episode.
    the director has done a great job, he hasn't used too much effects, and instead he has used some amazing editing things like camera movement, unusual camera angles and very nice focus games. All these effects did the series, and this episode especially, so good.
    I want to point out that the music was amazing, too.
    the cast did their job on the best side. Cumberbatch gave us an excellent role, which I liked it more than Downey Junior's Sherlock Holmes.
    I hope that Cumberbatch will do the transition from TV to the big screen.
    The third episode's plot was very good, the director keep us suspense until the last minutes, with the amazing finish. What can I say? please give us more episodes, and not just 3 more. Elementary, my dear Watson.
  22. Mar 5, 2012
    Here's to the excellent quality shows that entertain us, especially straight from the Beeb. This show is a piece of genius, intellectually sound and never fails to both entertain and fascinate at this modern update of the famous detective. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are enjoyable as the lead roles, the humour is intelligent, the plot complicated yet understandable when youHere's to the excellent quality shows that entertain us, especially straight from the Beeb. This show is a piece of genius, intellectually sound and never fails to both entertain and fascinate at this modern update of the famous detective. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are enjoyable as the lead roles, the humour is intelligent, the plot complicated yet understandable when you actually think about it. Steven Moffat, writer of Doctor Who, you haven't let me down yet. These two shows will remain forever in my heart. Expand
  23. May 20, 2012
    The best T.V show ever, prefer it over the films.
    I laughed, I cried and I was baffled by amazing unpredictable twists with a great cast. Everyone needs to see it!
  24. May 28, 2012
    This show is insanely well written and directed with great acting throughout. A clever style of each episode acting like a whole full length film. Brilliant job and keep up the good work! Can't wait to watch season 2!
  25. Jan 30, 2014
    This is a wonderful modern day take on the old Sherlock Holmes stories from back in the day. Cumberbatch is at his best, per usual, and Freeman plays a great sidekick. I feel like the image of Moriarty was taken in a direction that I'm still not sure I like. He's clearly as evil as ever but the guy playing him gives a performance that is very up or down. I'm also not sure if I like theThis is a wonderful modern day take on the old Sherlock Holmes stories from back in the day. Cumberbatch is at his best, per usual, and Freeman plays a great sidekick. I feel like the image of Moriarty was taken in a direction that I'm still not sure I like. He's clearly as evil as ever but the guy playing him gives a performance that is very up or down. I'm also not sure if I like the format of the show. 3 hour and a half "episodes" per season is just something I'm not used to and probably will never get used to seeing. You really have to sit down and commit to this if you're going to get into the show. It's not really a negative so I can't penalize it for that. Just know that people in America watching this show might be confused by the movie length of these episodes. Expand
  26. Jan 2, 2012
    Sherlock is one of the best British series now, if not the best. The actors are not only great, quite correspond to the characters of the original work, but the episodes are also very well written. The replicas are striking, humor is not bad, the rate remains constant ... Totally different from the recent American version / UK, there are still weakly adventures inspired by the originalSherlock is one of the best British series now, if not the best. The actors are not only great, quite correspond to the characters of the original work, but the episodes are also very well written. The replicas are striking, humor is not bad, the rate remains constant ... Totally different from the recent American version / UK, there are still weakly adventures inspired by the original work (despite the recovery of numerous aftershocks and elements of the books) but who do not need to maximize the stunts and special effects for Do I Market. Putting aside the excellent Doctor Who (also created by Steven Moffat) is a series of very rare quality that deserves an audience just as wide as the great American hits. If you do not already know, it's time to discover this gem! Expand
  27. Jul 10, 2012
    Stunning, absolutely stunning. This 21st century adaptation of Sherlock Holmes is absolutely amazing and is one of the most well produced shows I've ever had the pleasure of watching. It's a bit of a disappointment that each season so far has only had 3 episodes, but I tend to think of it as a season of 3 movies, which you can get for just over the price of one terribly made HollywoodStunning, absolutely stunning. This 21st century adaptation of Sherlock Holmes is absolutely amazing and is one of the most well produced shows I've ever had the pleasure of watching. It's a bit of a disappointment that each season so far has only had 3 episodes, but I tend to think of it as a season of 3 movies, which you can get for just over the price of one terribly made Hollywood movie. The story in each episode is always incredibly fast-paced, jumping from one investigation to a dramatic scene to an action scene to an investigation. However, this show should not be paced any other way. The pacing is perfect for this type of drama, and Benedict Cumberbatch is absolutely brilliant for this show. He plays the role of Sherlock Holmes with ease, and you can really see that he is perfect for this character. Martin Freeman also plays a fantastic John Watson. The story generally keeps you hooked, and the plot twists (at least for me, having never read the original books which many of the episodes are based on) are really shocking, and I never saw them coming. The show succeeds in the fact that you can actually see what Sherlock sees, as the show constantly changes to his point of view and text is constantly appearing on the screen showing what he observes when looking at a certain person or object, and when someone receives a text, you will usually see the contents of the text just appear next to the person reading it, floating right next to them. It's a unique idea, and works brilliantly with the show. Overall, Sherlock is absolutely outstanding. It combines a fast-paced story in each episode, incredibly witty dialogue, engaging characters (with Cumberbatch stealing the show as Sherlock), and some unbelievably complex cases and stories, which are seemingly impossible to solve at first. Sherlock is a damn masterpiece of crime drama, and I strongly recommend that you watch this show, if you haven't done so already. Expand
  28. Jan 22, 2012
    Sherlock is just incredible. Full of so many twists and turns, you never know what will happen next. And the end of series cliffhangers are so excellently done. I thoroughly enjoy each episodes that I have seen so far and am looking forward to the next series. It is a great twist to the original books, having it set in modern day times. I encourage all to watch this show as it truly is wonderful.
  29. Jan 18, 2012
    That was well worth waiting for. Unbelievable, what Mark Gatiss and Stephen created, a Masterpiece, nothing less. A perfect match of characters the roles of Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, brilliant cast. Clever, witty, fast, humouros and thrilling. What else we could ask for? Now that the 2nd series already aired, we are craving for more. Lets hope that the producers will performThat was well worth waiting for. Unbelievable, what Mark Gatiss and Stephen created, a Masterpiece, nothing less. A perfect match of characters the roles of Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, brilliant cast. Clever, witty, fast, humouros and thrilling. What else we could ask for? Now that the 2nd series already aired, we are craving for more. Lets hope that the producers will perform a miracle and produce a 3rd series as compelling as the first two. Until then, we will have fun with the DVD's to watch a great program and great dialogues over and over again Collapse
  30. Jan 22, 2012
    This show is amazing. The dialogue is wonderfully written. It is fast-paced. There's some witty commentary here and there. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are wonderfully cast together. I have recommended to many of my friends and all are glad that I did.
  31. Feb 2, 2012
    Wow this is one of the best shows i have ever seen, it came out of nowhere and just blew me away. I didn't even knew it existed but my friends really loved it so i thought i should give it a try. Sherlock is utterly brilliant, clever, sharp and funny. This show is genius with the plot, twists and stories told in such a different way that really holds your attention and makes you glued toWow this is one of the best shows i have ever seen, it came out of nowhere and just blew me away. I didn't even knew it existed but my friends really loved it so i thought i should give it a try. Sherlock is utterly brilliant, clever, sharp and funny. This show is genius with the plot, twists and stories told in such a different way that really holds your attention and makes you glued to the screen and on the edge of the seat throughout. I hardly see any flaw and it has brilliant performances too both Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are well cast as Sherlock and Watson and they share a brilliant chemistry. Everything about this show is just purely flawless. Two thumbs up for the amazing work. Expand
  32. Feb 11, 2012
    I was never a big Sherlock Holmes fan. I knew of it, but I had never bothered to read the books. I remember watching the Sherlock Holmes movie in 2009 and thinking it was an entertaining movie, but nothing more. So when I heard of this TV series, I wasn't too sure if I wanted to see it. Luckily someone told me Steven Moffat was involved with the series. As an avid Doctor Who fan, I decidedI was never a big Sherlock Holmes fan. I knew of it, but I had never bothered to read the books. I remember watching the Sherlock Holmes movie in 2009 and thinking it was an entertaining movie, but nothing more. So when I heard of this TV series, I wasn't too sure if I wanted to see it. Luckily someone told me Steven Moffat was involved with the series. As an avid Doctor Who fan, I decided to give it a try. I did not regret that decision. At 90 minutes, the episodes feel more like feature films. I tend to prefer the shorter films, since 2.5 hours is a bit long to sit still for. 90 minutes can also be too long, but the stories are intriguing and there're plenty of things to watch. Unfortunately the seasons are only three episodes long, but that's not really a problem.

Oh, also. Season two is also great. Unfortunately Metacritic thinks it hasn't aired yet, when all three episodes have in fact aired (in Britain).
  33. Dec 12, 2012
    Sherlock is evidence that the BBC is the last remaining beacon of hope in a sea of mass-produced money driven TV shows which are nothing but the same old crap reskinned again and again. With each episode roughly the length of a film, Sherlock is an excellent take on some old stories, and with stellar acting to boot. Easily the best show currently on TV.
  34. Mar 17, 2012
    Even better than the film. This new take on Sherlock Holmes is absolutely brilliant, television does not get much better than this. Benedict Cumberbatch has mastered the role completely and the same can be said for Martin Freeman, they both work so well together and the banter between their characters is one of many things that makes this show brilliant. It is so cleverly written andEven better than the film. This new take on Sherlock Holmes is absolutely brilliant, television does not get much better than this. Benedict Cumberbatch has mastered the role completely and the same can be said for Martin Freeman, they both work so well together and the banter between their characters is one of many things that makes this show brilliant. It is so cleverly written and directed that you're hooked as soon as the opening credits role and after that happens you are in for 90 minutes of sheer awesome. Theres not much more I can say, brilliant writing, directing, acting and some innovation has come together to make this show. Don't think twice about checking it out. Expand
  35. Apr 13, 2012
    Nothing is at fault in this epic show!! the acting is amazing and the stories are both ingenious and intriguing- i take my hat off to everyone working on the show!
  36. May 13, 2012
    Great show! Enticing, intriguing fun. Sometimes I find it hard to follow because if you blink, you miss everything. But it really is a treat. A witty, brilliant treat.
  37. Jul 20, 2012
    Brilliant, but with flaws. The first episode of this TV show was stunning. It was captivating and suspenseful. Then came the awful, but somewhat interesting, episode 2. The episode wasn't bad, but I expected a lot more after the amazing first episode. The second episode was boring, bland, and had a terrible villain. Then came the third episode to redeem the series together. Not only doesBrilliant, but with flaws. The first episode of this TV show was stunning. It was captivating and suspenseful. Then came the awful, but somewhat interesting, episode 2. The episode wasn't bad, but I expected a lot more after the amazing first episode. The second episode was boring, bland, and had a terrible villain. Then came the third episode to redeem the series together. Not only does Sherlock solve one mystery, but a few, to solve his main one and the cliffhanger for this episode just leaves you wanting more. This modern adaptation is just brilliantly done and so here i come, season 2. Expand
  38. Jun 3, 2012
    This is a show you can never be ashamed to recommend. Brett, Hardwicke, RDJ were great. But this is the Sherlock for our time. The game is afoot, indeed!
  39. Aug 28, 2012
    Definitely, one of the best mini-series ever made and an absolute treat for Sherlock Holmes' fans. All the episodes were truly astounding with powerful performances of Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman. The adaptation of the show into modern era is worth appreciating.
  40. Jan 28, 2015
    A brilliant tv show , astonishing actors , amazing plot. I hated the thought of a modern re-make of Sherlock Holmes but BBC came and proved me wrong. This show had me hooked since episode 1 up until the finale of season 3. Even the filler episodes were great except one ( EP02SE02 ) but even that one was interesting. The plot and the character development add up with the enchanting BritishA brilliant tv show , astonishing actors , amazing plot. I hated the thought of a modern re-make of Sherlock Holmes but BBC came and proved me wrong. This show had me hooked since episode 1 up until the finale of season 3. Even the filler episodes were great except one ( EP02SE02 ) but even that one was interesting. The plot and the character development add up with the enchanting British accent and culture to produce a must-watch tv show that entertains everyone who watches it. Expand
  41. Oct 10, 2013
    I've got an advise to watch this, I usually do not watch TV shows, but this one is just great! Perfect cast, deep and well played characters, stories that keep you thrilled. So clever, so interesting to watch. Waiting for the third season.
  42. Sep 28, 2012
    Awesome, This show is pure magic, One just can't do better than this. Cast is spectacular and the direction subtle.
    Writing is mesmerising, And Transition to the modern age is flawless.
  43. Sep 29, 2012
    This show is pure genius, the acting is incredible, there are so many spots of brilliance throughout each episode. It simply takes my breath away. Andrew Scott as Moriarty in particular blows my mind. He is just so complex, playfully psychotic in a way that is purely deadly. It is genius.
  44. Dec 19, 2012
    Rarely does a t.v. show capture my attention. It's not cheesy, or conceited, but actually, pure MAGIC! The acting is incredible, script is superb, direction is out of the park- clearly, if you hate this show, you are either unfair, not intelligent, or don't appreciate good televison! A treat! One of my favorites!
  45. Dec 12, 2013
    What an amazing take on the Sherlock Holmes character. Brilliant way to reinterpret the character, some of the most intelligent dialogue on TV (or even in the movies), and Cumberbatch ties it all together so well. My only problem with this series is we only get 3 episodes a season. I understand why they don't want to make too many, I just hunger for more television that is this good.
  46. Dec 18, 2012
    Sharp, clever, intense, and perfectly acted by Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbach. Well developed characters and highly engaging/interesting plot lines...brilliant show!
  47. Apr 15, 2013
    Genius, Awesome, great, amazing, WOOWW!.
    This Mini Series is the greatest thing in my Life i´ve ever watched its full of brilliancy. It´s funny, exciting and.... smply AWESOME!!
    Thank you BBC!!
  48. Mar 24, 2013
    A truly perfect series as far as character development, story and everything technical are concerned. A stunning piece of television to watch if only for the beautiful editing. Cumberbatch and Freeman act the roles perfectly and the books are complimented brilliantly whilst modernising the intelligent franchise. Would recommend the series to anyone, gave me goosebumps
  49. Apr 30, 2013
    This show is a masterpiece, great acting, interesting storylines, a true retelling of Sherlock Holmes. Benedict Cumberpatch is a great Sherlock, Martin Freeman is a helpful Watson, and Andrew Scott is a wonderfully evil Moriarty. Can't wait for Season 3!
  50. Mar 26, 2013
    The show is beautiful. With it's integration of typography, humor, drama, and emotion, this show had me hooked within two minutes. The acting is gold, the plot keeps you on edge (even when your friends won't stop talking over the TV), and the heart behind it finds the viewer growing attached to the characters, themselves.
  51. Apr 2, 2013
    Possible the most well-made TV show I have ever watched. Clever, witty, and great acting from all the characters. The relationship between Sherlock and Watson is fantastic and the finale was heart-breaking.
  52. Apr 9, 2013
    Another great example of what british tv shows and actors can do. This show manages to make the movies look childish and dumb. This is the ultimate sherlock holmes story and personally my favorite tv show yet. If anyone hasn't seen this show by now you are missing ut on something truly brilliant.
  53. Apr 21, 2013
    Simply a Masterpiece!

Sharp, Funny, Thriller, Mystery.
    Good acting, amazing story line, bring a whole new life to a classic novel.
    can't wait for another season!
  54. May 2, 2013
    With cast, music and writers like Sherlock has, all you got to do is love this show. Brilliantly written series, the humour is clever and so are the cases. My favourite series!
  55. Ndi
    May 26, 2013
    As an intelligent person, I am used to seeing TV shows about smart people being utter nonsense. I was pleasantly surprised by this series, with all the pieces in place, non-nonsense plot line and a fresh view on an age-old character that, even though intriguing and famous, got overworked and is limited by old books.

It's hard to pick up and reboot an icon, but this one is well done.

It's hard to pick up and reboot an icon, but this one is well done.

No comparison to the movie everyone quotes, that has nothing to do with Sherlock making him a future reading ninja. This series is back to Sherlock, a smart man with incredible observation and deduction skills.

No offense, but let the age old British investigator in the hands of the British TV. BBC doesn't let down on this one.
  56. May 22, 2013
    An outstanding concept is brought to life by Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman. Brilliant cinematography and fresh direction makes this must-watch viewing.
  57. Jun 1, 2013
    BBC keeps getting it right! Sherlock is such a beautiful TV show with the best dialogue, a great mix of old and new! Fast paced, well casted and satisfyingly long episodes!
  58. Nov 25, 2013
    Amazing series. Great casting. The only possible drawback is that there are so few episodes. Can't believe I only picked it up now. It makes the US version seem a bit, well, Elementary.
  59. Jul 26, 2013
    Simply the best show on TV in either nation right now. Cumberbatch as the (very) odd looking psychopathic personality of Holmes is game-changing acting, where as Freeman as Watson is perfect for the quintessential British everyman, as though the role were scripted 150 years ago specifically for him. If you don't have Netflix, this is by itself enough to be worth the $9 a month.. BESTSimply the best show on TV in either nation right now. Cumberbatch as the (very) odd looking psychopathic personality of Holmes is game-changing acting, where as Freeman as Watson is perfect for the quintessential British everyman, as though the role were scripted 150 years ago specifically for him. If you don't have Netflix, this is by itself enough to be worth the $9 a month.. BEST RINGTONES EVER!, Moriarity and Adler!
    Speaking of Cumberbatch: It was fun to watch, but, seriously, Khan? One, the name don't fit, and two, no one who ever saw the original is going to picture Cumberbatch over Montalban given the eight inch difference in the pec muscles. I'm hetero, but I'm just sayin...
  60. Oct 9, 2013
    An excellent piece of television and modern adaptation. For once, an (older) adaptation has been done correctly in a modern setting. Watch this, and watch the second series it's excellent.
  61. Nov 23, 2013
    One day, during summer vacation, I was bored. To remedy that, I decided that I wanted to read the whole Sherlock Holmes collection. I loved them, and I was obsessed with Sherlock Holmes for the entire summer, learning as much as I could about the series and about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. During the school year though, I had a physics teacher that constantly praised the TV series that theOne day, during summer vacation, I was bored. To remedy that, I decided that I wanted to read the whole Sherlock Holmes collection. I loved them, and I was obsessed with Sherlock Holmes for the entire summer, learning as much as I could about the series and about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. During the school year though, I had a physics teacher that constantly praised the TV series that the British were producing.

Finally, I've gotten to see season 1 and I'm eager for more.

The cast is great. After watching Benedict Cumberbatch, I don't know if there is anyone more capable than he to play Sherlock. He does an excellent job portraying all of his quirks and tendencies. They've done an equally remarkable job with the rest of the cast. Showing the various reactions to Sherlock and his oddities and poor John Watson having to put up with his bouts of boredom, drug addiction, and crazy chemistry experiments.

They did a great job putting together the stories and taking after the short novels. Many elements are exactly taken out of series, but others are added, which is understandable given the nature of the length of each season. They even have Sherlock's vast network of homeless people and ne'er-do-wells that do his bidding around the city. Everything is done with a great sense of urgency, just like Sherlock would have it, and how sometimes his directness leads to some great laughs.

Each episode as an hour and a half, so they're basically all short movies, but each one is filled to the brim and thoroughly enjoyable when you can find the time to watch them all in one sitting. Again, I'm eager for more and can't wait to see how the series continues.
  62. Dec 20, 2013
    He is everything you want in a modern day sleuth; he is funny, intriguing, mysterious and doesn't have any time for media! Remember the days when you watched that first really, really good captivating and enrapturing mystery--well it has been repeated in a rare way. I don't think there will be ever a chance to replicate and remix Sherlock in such a wonderful and elaborate way every again.He is everything you want in a modern day sleuth; he is funny, intriguing, mysterious and doesn't have any time for media! Remember the days when you watched that first really, really good captivating and enrapturing mystery--well it has been repeated in a rare way. I don't think there will be ever a chance to replicate and remix Sherlock in such a wonderful and elaborate way every again.

Well done! I have a new found faith in TV--thanks BBC--that it's story must not pivot in sexuality and cursing. That a show can have deep characters and dialogue that are fully able to resuscitate the brain once again with a electrifying shock to the system. A show that makes me think! I even wrote notes with hope that the producers gave me some hints to the seconds series GRAND finale!
  63. Jan 10, 2014
    Every episode is of movie quality. I find myself analyzing every movement of every character in hopes that i will have taken part in the intricate unraveling mystery of each episode. EVERY MAIN CHARACTER IS SPOT ON. My wife and I stare into other people shopping carts, deducing their intentions and previous motives. We all need a Sherlock in our lives.
  64. Feb 22, 2014
    This show managed what many others failed, bringing Sherlock Holmes to the present day, but they managed it, they got a perfect actor as Sherlock, they have great mystery, and it is just perfect.
  65. Jan 29, 2014
    Fantastic performances by Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch, great use of making classic 'Sherlock Holmes' stories taking place in modern day London, and all around great story arc you can get invested into.
  66. Mar 8, 2014
    This show is absolutely amazing for all ages. It's funny, suspenseful and has the best plot. Benedict Cumberbatch and the whole casting is absolutely spectacular throughout making this my favorite television show ever!
  67. Mar 18, 2014
    Benedict Cumberbatch is a blessing to all things performance. So much so, that I can't help but wonder why it isn't his face appearing in Metacritic's picture for Sherlock. Not that Freeman isn't also a splendid actor, but the show isn't called "Watson," is it? Just a thought.
  68. Nov 19, 2014
    Sherlock is my second favourite show on tv and for good reason. The acting is top notch, the writing is awesome and each series is only 3 episodes long (90 minutes each episode)
  69. Jun 5, 2014
    A masterpiece of a show. It will require a larger amount of time per episode than usual for a show, but it is totally worth it. They are more like short movies. Flawless movies, with clever humor, mystery, and great actors.
  70. Jun 6, 2014
    Very amazing programme, loved every minute of it. Very interesting editing and camera shots. Officially a Sherlock fan. I'm even doing my essay on Sherlock.
  71. Sep 24, 2014
    Almost a perfect 10, acting, music, character development, scenery, action, mystery. I have to give a 11 for writing though, it's brilliant. Each series is 3 episode, for some reason, the 2nd in each is my least favourite but no problem watching them all several times.
  72. Nov 30, 2014
    Sherlock is, by far, one of the best TV shows I have ever seen. The portrayal of Sherlock and John is fantastic, and the plot is witty and never tiresome. However, the show is aired infrequently, with an average of 3 episodes every two years; there are only 3 seasons, 9 episodes to date.
  73. Jan 2, 2015
    Each episode is a masterpiece, an almost perfect representation of a modern age 'Sherlock'. For readers & none readers of Arthur conan doyle it will not fail to keep your attention on the edge...
  74. Oct 14, 2015
    Benedict, the best Sherlock Holmes ever,I think this is the best adapting of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's works! eve better than The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes staring Jeremy Brett
  75. Jan 10, 2016
    A Study of Sherlock
    A Study of Sherlock
    Episode one of Sherlock “A Study In Pink” is directed by Paul McGuigan and written by Steven Moffat. Sherlock Holmes was played by a british actor Benedict Cumberbatch and his side kick Watson by Martin Freeman. These two work very well together and when one of them doesn't know the answer the other one does. This episode turns on a rash of supposed suicides in London, which Holmes quickly determines to be murders. But the question being asked is who could be making people commit suicide? This series appeals to those who love a good mystery and it keeps you on the edge of your seat.

In the episode the London police and Sherlock Holmes’ skills are put to the test while trying to hunt down the mastermind behind the murders staged as suicides. Although some murderers are easy to find this one cleans up and doesn’t slip up, but eventually Holmes found something that leads one thing to another and everything starts to come together.

Watching this episode is like watching your favorite sports team, it’s all tied up in the last minute and it’s a nail biter. Some of the best parts in the episode was when Sherlock Holmes and the others were trying to figure out the meaning of the word the woman scratched into the floor before dying because there are many different meanings that one word has but one sticks out. Another good part in the episode was when Sherlock Holmes would flaunt his brilliance in front of others who questioned his smarts and capabilities because he showed them up every time which made it quite humorous. These parts really stuck out and caused suspense and questioning while throwing in some humor. There were really no scenes throughout the episode that were bad but some did not have to be included such as the car scene with Watson when he goes to meet Sherlock Holmes’ enemy.

This series is very good and was brilliantly thought out and written. It keeps viewers on edge and makes them want to watch more. Almost all of the scenes in the episode meshed very well together and all of the characters worked together and played their role beyond expectation. This series is recommended to those who enjoy mysterious crimes such as the ones portrayed in NCIS or SVU. This series gets a five star rating and should be more advertised.
  76. Jan 11, 2016
    Modern-Day Sherlock
    Modern-Day Sherlock
    Sherlock a 2010’s BBC series Sherlock Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch) is very different than the Holmes in all the books you've read. Sherlock Holmes is living in the 21st century in London. Holmes is remembered for always using a magnifying glass for finding clues and solving crimes. Paul McGuigan does an excellent job at having Holmes use modern day technology to solve the crime. Holmes uses a cell phone as his main device to find out mostly everything. Dr. Watson (Martin Freeman), an Afghanistan veteran, joins Holmes and helps him solve the crime.
    In the episode “A Study In Pink” suicide is happening a lot in town and no one knows why. The police investigate all the deaths and think it's the same person causing all the deaths in London and can’t find out so they call Holmes. Holmes gets called to a crime scene and he brings Dr. Watson with him as soon as he looks were the lady died he knows everything and points out all the clues in his head and knows instantly it's a serial killer. Everyone thinks Holmes is crazy and doesn’t know what he’s doing but the viewer can see he knows everything. Holmes does mostly everything by himself but when it comes down at the end Dr. Watson is a hero too.
    Watching this episode keeps you always wanting to know what's gonna happen next. There's never a part in the episode when you just wanna turn it off the whole episode is intense. The ending is very unsuspecting but it's a very good ending like you see it coming but then you don't and watching the first episode makes you wanna watch the whole series.
    I would recommend to watch the whole series because the first episode is so good. I rate “A Study In Pink” a 10. If you're in to mystery movies and always wanting a surprise this is the series you wanna watch.
  77. Jan 11, 2016
    All Murders Don't Involve Guns

All Murders Don't Involve Guns

The first series “A Study in Pink’ is an excellent 90 minute film that consists of mysteries throughout the show. Benedict Cumberbatch aka “Sherlock Holmes” , kicks off the show by showing his incredible mystery solving brain by pacing around the room and whispering clues to the mystery. Paul McGuigan has done a great job as being the director of the film. The main characters, Sherlock Holmes and Dr. John Watson keep the viewers attached to the screen.

During “A Study in Pink”, the police investigate the deaths of several people who appear to have committed suicide by taking a poisonous pill. The police could not seem to find exactly what was going on in the investigation so they turned to Sherlock Holmes for more help on solving this case. Dr. John Watson later becomes Holmes partner while trying to solve these cases. They had first met in the lab when Holmes was looking for a phone and Watson offers Holmes to use his phone for a quick text.

While watching “A Study in Pink”, it gets you so curious on to what will happen next. This then keeps you on your toes throughout the show. One of the best scenes is when one of the investigators tells Dr. John Watson that Holmes is just a psychopath and waste everybody's time., Holmes believes otherwise about that and then later on he ends up solving the crime. One of the worsts parts about the show is when Dr. John Watson enters the car and the woman identifies herself as Athea, but then admits that is not her real name then Watson just ignores it and doesn't ask any more questions.
    This has simply been one of the best series out there as of now. The only flaw of this show would have to be the beginning because the show just jumps right into the case without any information on what happened before the “suicide’. This series “A Study in Pink” shall be recommended to anyone that is willing to be kept in suspense the whole time. :A Study in Pink” shall receive a 10 out of 10.
  78. Jan 11, 2016
    Unknown Crimes

Sherlock Holmes can't be something described as new, He's now back better than ever. The show Sherlock is based on the character Sherlock Holmes. Director Paul Mcguigan really made an impact on the show by showing sherlock's brilliance with the work he does.You will be amazed by how fast he will be able to solve a crime. The episode begins with John Watson meeting
    Unknown Crimes

The episode begins with John Watson meeting Sherlock looking for a roommate. When Sherlock first learned of the all the suicides in a row he figured that they weren’t all as it had seemed. After going to see the latest crime scene he finds that she wrote a note in the ground shortly before her death. Sherlock learns that the person behind the murders is his arch enemy.
    Watching Sherlock is like being inside a real crime. Sherlock can examine any person and can tell their back story like its nothing.People are always amazed when they see the things that he does to solve the crime.Now that Sherlock has found a new “friend” many things will be acomplished easier than it was because he has back up and can be used as a new mind in solving crimes and giving ideas. The thing you will be able to notice about sherlock is he is not a
    nice guy he is very hot headed and crazy as some say.
    My opinion on this show is that it is very interesting,To me this show is more to me than good its great.The director is very good at keeping you hooked onto watching the show so you can find out the ending. I would definitely recommend this to to other people because of how good this show is to watch.If i could give this show a rating I would give it a 9. I only watched one episode and the show makes me want so many more episodes to find out more things about him and the crimes that he solves.
  79. Jan 11, 2016
    A Modern Day Sherlock?

Frustration and clueless to answer a puzzle can lead any investigator on edge and takes days, weeks, months, and even years to find an answer but as we all know Sherlock Holmes can solve crimes effortlessly with his ever so fast paced brain, able to memorize all the streets of London, he can can tell who you are and what you were doing in a matter of
    A Modern Day Sherlock?

crimes effortlessly with his ever so fast paced brain, able to memorize all the streets of London, he can can tell who you are and what you were doing in a matter of seconds.“Sherlock” the BBC series created by Douglas Mackinnon and Paul Mcguigan sets the science to what a modern day Sherlock would be like. In the first episode Dr. Watson played by Martin Freeman, he was a war vet just coming home from Afghanistan and has trouble at home coping with the effects of war. Baffled about all the suicides happening in London lately. He believes they are “just” suicides, until he meets Sherlock Holmes played by Benedict Cumberbatch. On the spot Sherlock can tell Watson was a soldier, his brother is a alcoholic and how he has a therapist. there is a lot more in the first episode.
    Creating an environment where you only want to focus on the show and nothing else gives an impressive reaction to the viewers. Dr. Watson’s personality was very straightforward, but always confused about Sherlock and Sherlock Holmes is very observant. Both solving great mysteries, puts this film at a top of the list to go see. Cumberbatch and Freeman make great actors together and should be noticed more.
    Sherlock uses a phone instead of a magnify glass which makes him much more different from the original “Sherlock Holmes” made in 1939. the new series was aired on July 26, 2010. well fits this role in many ways by appearance and acts skills, his on the spot role makes this series of film even better to watch. Adding a little twist and creativity to Freeman's role in his past situations with war and Cumberbatch’s cell phone idea was a great touch.

They have always made amazing partners and solve great mysteries, the original was great, this TV show is just as good, it's a must watch! This series of “Sherlock” gives amazing satisfactory to anyone who is into crime, without all the “CSI” feel to it. Anything can happen with an intelligent mind. Even though Sherlock Holmes is consider a sociopath, people enjoy his skills as abilities and this film deserves a ten out of ten.
  80. Jan 11, 2016
    Sherlock:A Crime To Remember

Sherlock:A Crime To Remember

The new tv series Sherlock is definitely a must see if you are into crime or mysteries. This series is very similar to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s original writing but with a twist. Creators Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss did a wonderful job at bringing the Sherlock Holmes’s series back to life with this new excellent series. Sherlock Holmes(Benedict Cumberbatch) is just a weirdo to most people in modern day London but a pure genius to all crime investigations in the area. Dr. John Watson(Martin Freeman) is just another war survivor that fought against Afghanistan that has severe flashbacks on the war and all the deaths until he meets Holmes and becomes his partner in crime.
    During the first episode of the new series it starts off with your average day business man getting into a cab on his way to his office. At his office he takes some kind of pill that instantly kills him. This then also happens to three other people.Investigators insist that it was a suicide but someone who appears by text begs to differ with the initials of SH. Watson just taking a stroll in the park sees one of his old friends that wants to help volunteering on helping him find a roommate. Watson and his friend meet up with Sherlock at a laboratory. Watson then finds himself with Sherlock on the case of all these mysterious deaths. Watson yet is to find out who Sherlock really is and what he does,but he is going to find out when him and Sherlock jump on the case and start figuring out clues,hints,names,and all the other mysterious things about this strange case.
    Watching this series would be like riding a roller coaster because of all the thrills,chills,and adventures all throughout the episodes. This series could relate to anything that has to deal with adventures,craziness,wildness,and boldness. Sherlock is as mysterious as a wolf in the series. You won’t want to miss out on this excellent series of mysterious crimes and Sherlock’s smart,clever,and extraordinary ways. The actors are very good so good that it’s almost like you know them in real life and that the characters of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's stories are real people. All parts of this series are very interesting and entertaining all throughout the seasons.
    This series is very good if you are into crime,adventures,and mysteries. The new series Sherlock is a must see to completely all viewers. Everything works out good in the long run in the series. This series would be recommend to all viewers of television that love action and criminal investigation. This series got a rating of 10 out of 10.
  81. Jan 11, 2016
    Thanks to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes detective stories, you can watch one of the most suspenseful mystery series out, and better than most. Season 1 episode 1 “A Study in Pink” of Sherlock is taken place in London during the 21st century. The main two actors in this episode are Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock Holmes) and Martin Freeman (Afghanistan war veteran Dr. JohnThanks to Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes detective stories, you can watch one of the most suspenseful mystery series out, and better than most. Season 1 episode 1 “A Study in Pink” of Sherlock is taken place in London during the 21st century. The main two actors in this episode are Benedict Cumberbatch (Sherlock Holmes) and Martin Freeman (Afghanistan war veteran Dr. John Watson). If you are in the mood to be watching an action packed nail biting series then i'm sure you will love Sherlock.

Dr. Jon Watson only came back to London because he got temporarily hurt in Afghanistan. After agreeing to share an apartment with secret detective Sherlock Holmes, they become really good friends. Watson then sees how brilliant Sherlock really is after a recent case that Sherlock goes to invest on, so Watson helps too. The police found four people who all supposedly committed suicide by all taking the same poisonous pill. But the police think there could have been another reason for the deaths of them. Holmes then agrees to figure out this outrageous case by following up on the death of the fourth person who was dressed in pink.

Jennifer Wilson was the name of the lady in pink known as the fourth person to commit suicide. As she was laying there and Sherlock was inspecting the crime, he sees the letters ‘RACHE’ scratched on the floor next to her. Sherlock realizes that this is her password to get into her phone. By being able to get into her phone he was able to track where her phone was last. This then leads Sherlock to confront a suspicious guy. Sherlock says he knows for a fact that this is the guy that is up to the deaths of all these innocent people. He wants to make Sherlock his next victim tho.

Will Sherlock over smart the serial killer? Will the serial killer win by taking Sherlocks life? You won't know until you watch it. I definitely recommend this episode, you won't be disappointed in what you're seeing in this series. The whole time you're watching “A Study in Pink” you will be jumping out of your seat just wanting to know what will happen next. Especially the ending results.
  82. Jan 11, 2016
    Sherlock: A Crime is Just a Game for Him

Sherlock: A Crime is Just a Game for Him

If you are interested in suspense, mystery, and crime, then this TV show is definitely for you. This TV series is about the modern-day Sherlock Holmes (Benedict Cumberbatch) and his psychic mind that has an unbelievably strange way to use small clues to deduce extraordinary information to solve crimes. Unlike any other crime scene investigator, Holmes tops every single one out there with his great crime solving skills. Holmes’ partner Dr. Watson, played by Martin Freeman, is an Afghanistan war veteran that Holmes meets through his old partner. This gripping show called Sherlock Holmes will have you on the edge of your seat and will keep you guessing at every turn. You can tell just by watching episode one that this show is one that you can simply not quit watching and one that will have your head spinning until the very end.
    The first episode alone is mind-blowing, shocking, and simply thrilling to watch. In this episode, we are first introduced to Watson and then set up with the mysterious case of three suicides which all ended by the same pill, which leads to the belief that they must be linked in someway. Watson is then introduced to Holmes through an old friend where we get to see into Holmes’ brilliant mind. The two end up working together when yet a fourth person has died from the same cause and this time has left a note. This last murder though is different from the rest because the murderer has appeared to have made the mistake of keeping the suitcase of their recent victim allowing Holmes and Watson to be hot on their case. They begin to investigate, and are sent on a crazy hunt for clues, a psycho killer, and the truth behind the twisted secrets of four deaths already. This case leads them racing all over town, finding new hints at every corner they turn, and puzzling together the pieces of a complex crime, trying to figure out the mastermind behind the whole ordeal.
    This episode was astonishing, a great one to want for any mystery lover, and did not disappoint the Sherlock Holmes series whatsoever. All of the characters and actors did an outstanding job at playing their role and the plot/ setup of the episode overall was very impressive. The suspense all throughout was outstanding, the story line was very intricate, and the mystery was perfectly set up. Watching this was very intense and it really had your mind spinning at various points. Despite the fact that the episode as a whole was brilliant, there were a few minor downfalls about the episode. One of them was the fact that it was very confusing due to everything seeming to occur all at once in the show and also that it was very easy to get several characters mixed up because they weren't formally introduced, these things could throw you off momentarily but really weren't that big of deal. In the end, the first episode was amazing overall despite it being a little confusion and messy at parts. In general, the series is a mind boggling one that any mystery lover would greatly enjoy to watch.
    This show will have you on the edge of your seat and will make you feel as if you were one of the characters trying to solve the mystery during the show. This will make you want to watch more because it will constantly make you feel anxious for what is to come, excited for the conclusion, and sometimes even a little scared for the characters anticipating what was going to happen next. This show would be highly recommend to anyone due to its magnificent plot, the thrilling suspense, and the splendid story line that all worked together to create an overall flawless show. Overall, this show is rated five stars, due to the fact that it was a stunningly impressive mystery case that used the great element of suspense to keep you second guessing throughout the episode and glued to the screen.
  83. Jan 11, 2016
    Will “Sherlock” make the cut?
    Will “Sherlock” make the cut?
    In this suspenseful, jaw-dropping television series, Benedict Cumberbatch keeps you biting at your nails as he adventures on as Sherlock Holmes. If you have ever wondered what it would be like to be a detective, look no further, for every detail is planned perfectly by creators Mark Gatiss and Steven Moffat. This thrilling show depicts a detailed sequence of events to make the viewer feel as though they are one of the characters. By telling you everything, the viewer will still feel as though they do not know what will happen next.
    This past week’s episode takes place in London, where detective Sherlock Holmes tries his hand at keeping cases from going cold by using an acute set of skills to identify and observe things others cannot. He is joined early on by a new-found “sidekick,” Dr. John Watson, played by actor Martin Freeman. Dr. Watson joined the army as a doctor to aid forces in Afghanistan. He also claims that him getting shot while on the battlefield is the reason for him using a cane. With his help, Sherlock tries to solve a case of chained suicides that may be the work of a serial killer. With the back to back detective quirkiness of each member from the team they are able to start putting together hypothesis of what could be the cause.
    In this modern-day London society, you feel as though this is taking place around the corner from you. You are able to sense the pain, mystery, and confusion as it almost feels like it’s happening to you. The viewer is able to understand clearly what is meant to be felt when watching this show. You will quickly feel that Holmes and Watson have each others backs like Batman and Robin. This intriguing show will never fail to excite.
    This is a wonderful excitement-filled tv show with twists every second. There is nothing that needs to be worked on as the plot is outstanding, the setting clear, and the characters are excellent actors. This show is highly recommended if you are willing to be feel for the characters and if you love a good detective story. After evaluation, this first episode received a five-star rating and leaves no doubt there will be people talking.
  84. Jan 12, 2016
    I enjoyed watching this series. For me the first 15 minutes were not soo good, but when you go deeper in the matter you can’t stop watching it. I also like it because you don’t have to follow each episode. It goes without saying that Sherlock Holmes is a successful series because of its thrill, charm and humour. It was also very fascinating because you didn’t lose track. All in all I wouldI enjoyed watching this series. For me the first 15 minutes were not soo good, but when you go deeper in the matter you can’t stop watching it. I also like it because you don’t have to follow each episode. It goes without saying that Sherlock Holmes is a successful series because of its thrill, charm and humour. It was also very fascinating because you didn’t lose track. All in all I would recommend this series to everyone. Expand
  85. Jan 12, 2016
    This is a show you can recommend to friends. The are great. Especially Benedict Cumberbatch who portrays Sherlock Holmes in this awkward but still cringeworthy way.
  86. Jan 16, 2016
    Led by Benedict Cumberbatch with another great performance that's accompanied by Martin Freeman with a, in my opinion, underrated performance, the dialogues he has with Sherlock an incredible.

The writing also is really clever, it helps us to understand such a complex character that is Sherlock Holmes; it adapts somewhat old stories by Conan Doyle and makes them modern and get you connected.

The format of the show with a low number of big episodes is really interesting and has just the right dose you need
  87. Feb 8, 2016
    One of the best mystery series I have ever watched. Possibly the best in a while as well. I find the idea of a modern Sherlock intriguing and by god it is executed well.
  88. Jun 5, 2016
    How can you dislike this? This is clearly above average and close to perfect Sherlock Holmes interpretation in modern days. This is masterpiece TV show. I cannot imagine who would rate this yellow or red scores, maybe weird people. But this is very clever, nicely produced TV series. Superior to American movies, I think. 10/10 hands down. no TV series come closer
  89. Sep 9, 2010
    A very entertaining contemporary version of the classic. The new Sherlock is even more of an obnoxious prick (and, as Willow would say "slightly gay") than the legendary Jeremy Brett and the new dr. Watson might just be my favourite yet. The writing is smart and crisp and we even get the on screen graphics to follow the processing of clues. I sincerely hope there will be a series 2.
  90. Oct 30, 2010
    What a treat! I love the way the have updated the characters to reflect the master sleuth and his level headed friend to reflect modern times. The characters of Sherlock and Watson are brilliantly played and the action maintains a steady pace. Have watched the opening show many times and am looking forward to the next Masterpiece Mystery this Sunday. Way to go PBS!
  91. Dec 23, 2010
    I was intrigued by the teasers for this show and since I am a life long Holmesian I had to watch.
    This is brilliant. Dominc Cumberbatch's Holmes is the absolute pitch perfect 21st century "edtiion".
    I love the lighting and the ways they bring in hints from Victorian times like Cumberbatch's hair cut and that wonderful swirling overcoat and scarf he wears. His body movement is amazing. He BECOMES Holmes and yet definitely puts his own stamp on the character and it's a deliberately modern stamp....AND the great thing is you buy it....you go with it ....he just takes you away. The long suffering Watson is now the tough guy partner who will not hesitate to use force and he always has his partner's back. Watching him at first so sad, war weary and skeptical and then becoming mesmerised by Holmes' impossible knack for pursuing excitement and danger was a treat. The stories are modern takes on the originals so you see events and hear names that harken back to the books.
    So many wonderful films and TV shows come out of the UK and we love them for it.....but this? This is a wonder on so many levels. I had to watch the first episode twice because I couldn't believe how brilliant it was. Thank you Masterpiece Mystery for this wonderful realisation of our beloved Sherlock.
  92. May 19, 2012
    The episodes are too long at 1 hour 30 mins each, and the pacing is off at some points, but overall it's quite clever, has good acting & direction and is engaging because you never know what's going to happen- there's always a surprise. It's also very modern and not some ancient nerdfest for literature critics. It's appealing universally.
  93. Aug 12, 2013
    I wasn't convinced to the idea of show at start- I've read several Doyle's book, where the atmosphere of Victorian London is important issue. Setting the plot in the present day seemed to be kind of blasphemy against the original series. Fortunately, I was wrong. BBC series appear to be more "Sherlock Holmes" than those trashy movies with Robert Downey Jr. The episodes are loosely based onI wasn't convinced to the idea of show at start- I've read several Doyle's book, where the atmosphere of Victorian London is important issue. Setting the plot in the present day seemed to be kind of blasphemy against the original series. Fortunately, I was wrong. BBC series appear to be more "Sherlock Holmes" than those trashy movies with Robert Downey Jr. The episodes are loosely based on the original crime stories of sir Doyle (e.g. "Study in Scarlet", first book featuring Mr. Holmes), so you can treat them as brand new adventures of Sherlock. Cumberbatch's appearance as eccentric and arrogant detective is really convincing. Creators of TV series achieved to do something ostensibly impossible: they managed to resurrect almost 150 years old hero in respectful, interesting way. Dear Hollywood, take notes. Expand
  94. Feb 6, 2013
    Sherlock is a clever TV-show that should be entertaining for anyone ranging from teens to elders! It is clever, it is surprising, it is great! It has that rare thing in TV shows, that thing where you can pick up any episodes, and you have a guarantee that it's gonna be great. 9 not 10 because episode 2 of the first season was a bit less entertaining to me than all the rest of the episodes.Sherlock is a clever TV-show that should be entertaining for anyone ranging from teens to elders! It is clever, it is surprising, it is great! It has that rare thing in TV shows, that thing where you can pick up any episodes, and you have a guarantee that it's gonna be great. 9 not 10 because episode 2 of the first season was a bit less entertaining to me than all the rest of the episodes. But anyway, watch this show, and enjoy it, and enjoy it you shall! Expand
  95. Jul 5, 2012
    I absolutely love this show. The amount of detail that Sherlock sees is unbelievable, I was a bit skeptic about Steven Moffat being the writer, since the quality of Doctor Who has dwindled in the past year or so, but I was blown away by it, I didn't like the second episode that much but I think that was because I watched it straight after the first episode and I got confused too easily asI absolutely love this show. The amount of detail that Sherlock sees is unbelievable, I was a bit skeptic about Steven Moffat being the writer, since the quality of Doctor Who has dwindled in the past year or so, but I was blown away by it, I didn't like the second episode that much but I think that was because I watched it straight after the first episode and I got confused too easily as I was still thinking about how amazing the first episode was, so my rule is now only watch one episode a night so I can enjoy it and make it last until season 3 comes out :) I love Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman as the main characters, Benedict pulls off Sherlock brilliantly, manages to balance his arrogance and egotism but still make him loveable. I don't know if it is intentional but it seems Sherlock has some sort of ADHD or something in this incarnation, he cannot sit still and HAS to have something to do, if he doesn't he shoots bullets into the wall. Martin Freeman is fantastic as Watson, making him clever and brave from his time at war, giving his opinion on cases whenever he can get a word in. Both actors are fantastic and brilliant in their roles. Expand
  96. Feb 14, 2015
    Original, the idea of watching a tv series based on the famous stories about sherlock Holmes sounded cheesy and dumb to me, a 16 year old boy. Yet after deciding to sit down and watch this fantastic show with a good friendo, who insisted that their was so much more to it and that it was a modern take on the tales, i feel in love. Every character is incredible and brilliantly performed,Original, the idea of watching a tv series based on the famous stories about sherlock Holmes sounded cheesy and dumb to me, a 16 year old boy. Yet after deciding to sit down and watch this fantastic show with a good friendo, who insisted that their was so much more to it and that it was a modern take on the tales, i feel in love. Every character is incredible and brilliantly performed, partially by the shows main leads, Cumberbatch and Freeman, the characters have so much chemistry together, they kind of complete each other, they are like the ying and yang of detective shows. Also another thing that i believe the the show does that really enhances the experience is the fact that instead of having the classic 13, 14 episodes the show is presented with instead 3 movie length episodes. This meaning that mor time and effort and be displayed. So if you have the time and you can be bothered watch Sherlock, it is incredible. Expand
  97. Oct 4, 2012
    The best modern interpretation, of Sherlock Holmes there has ever been. Captures the character right but fits perfectly in the modern world with out seeming out of place. Benedict Cumberbatch and Jeremy Brentt are the two best Holmes to ever be put on screen.
  98. Jan 29, 2013
    As a 3 episode "season", Sherlock is positively wonderful, displaying the namesake character in a manner that has not been seen before. I thought the first episode was amazing in every way, though I was disappointed with the second episode which I found to not continue the high bar set by the first. I would give the first episode a 10, the second a 8, and the third which was better thanAs a 3 episode "season", Sherlock is positively wonderful, displaying the namesake character in a manner that has not been seen before. I thought the first episode was amazing in every way, though I was disappointed with the second episode which I found to not continue the high bar set by the first. I would give the first episode a 10, the second a 8, and the third which was better than the second, a 9. Expand
  99. Feb 13, 2013
    The reviews of this show were overwhelmingly positive by the critics. To be honest, as a result I started watched this show looking for any flaws. But there were almost none. Benedict Cumberbatch's acting may be a bit bland, but that is the whole point. It distances Sherlock from the other characters. Also, the banter between Sherlock and Watson sometimes adds a humorous tint to the film.The reviews of this show were overwhelmingly positive by the critics. To be honest, as a result I started watched this show looking for any flaws. But there were almost none. Benedict Cumberbatch's acting may be a bit bland, but that is the whole point. It distances Sherlock from the other characters. Also, the banter between Sherlock and Watson sometimes adds a humorous tint to the film. The dialogue is beautifully crafted to each character's emotions and personalities. But be warned: this is not meant to be a funny show. The mysteries keep you guessing until the end. The plot developments, twists and turns keep you entertained. But the thing that stands Sherlock out from all other fictional characters is the simple logic of his observational and deductive reasoning. Hats off to the director. This guy is a genius. Its hard to explain what he does, so just watch the show to see it for yourself. He manages to pull me into each story at an emotional level. And don't forget the music. It ranges from tense music in the suspenseful scenes to energetic in the fast-paced scenes. Okay, there is one flaw, to be fair. I would have liked a bit more character development. We don't learn much new about each character, especially Sherlock.

Altogether, my final verdict is: if you haven't watched it, Watch it. Now. I'm waiting.
  100. Dec 18, 2013
    besides of having only three episodes per season(this is the only problem)i think this is an terrific series with memorable actuations of benedict cumberbatch and martin freeman.

1. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Dec 8, 2010
    Clearly, there are few more durable figures in fiction, but capturing the fundamental appeal of Holmes is quite another matter. And on that level, Sherlock cannily cracks the case.
  2. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    Oct 24, 2010
    Thanks to committed performances from Cumberbatch and Freeman, and clever writing from Moffat and Gatiss, most of it works splendidly.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Oct 24, 2010
    It is cinematic in the sense that nothing in it looks quite real. But it works: This is not the London known as jolly and old, but the new chilly city of glass, a place of missed connections, of aliens and alienation. And the smart dialogue and warm performances--even Holmes has a discernible beating heart, or perhaps two--keep ice from forming on the production.