9.1

1. Dec 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Fascinating, superb. I've loose all the words. Mind-blowing, but still crispy. Although, the form looks like hard to swallowed, but when it has touched the tongue, its taste delicious and addictive.
    How Stefen Moffat can do all that stuff? I don't have any idea.
  2. Dec 14, 2014
    Season 1 of sherlock is a great introduction to the detectives story. the modernised version is far better than the ELEMENTARY **** version that the americans made, sherlock is english.. not pissing american and john is a male.. not a female!! **** sake.. benedict cumberbatch is excellent giving a beautiful performance aswell as martin freeman. that cliffhanger was also excellent..
  3. Nov 30, 2014
    Sherlock is, by far, one of the best TV shows I have ever seen. The portrayal of Sherlock and John is fantastic, and the plot is witty and never tiresome. However, the show is aired infrequently, with an average of 3 episodes every two years; there are only 3 seasons, 9 episodes to date.
  4. Nov 19, 2014
    Sherlock is my second favourite show on tv and for good reason. The acting is top notch, the writing is awesome and each series is only 3 episodes long (90 minutes each episode)
  5. Nov 12, 2014
    Excellent show, I am waiting for more episodes. The lead actors are fabulous. I think they did a great job showing the anti social nature of true genius. Does the show have it's flaws? Did the producers sometimes try to overthink some things and paint themselves into a corner? Or did they try to fix flaws in earlier plots by rewriting things with giants holes in them? Sure, but as far asExcellent show, I am waiting for more episodes. The lead actors are fabulous. I think they did a great job showing the anti social nature of true genius. Does the show have it's flaws? Did the producers sometimes try to overthink some things and paint themselves into a corner? Or did they try to fix flaws in earlier plots by rewriting things with giants holes in them? Sure, but as far as Sherlock Holmes goes, I haven't seen anything better. It's certainly leagues better than the other drama crime solving shows that are so popular these days. And considering the CG driven scenes and black hole sized plot holes most shows have these days. This show is fabulous. Speaking of movies, I have been watching all of the Sherlock Holmes movies I can after this. And most of them fall woefully short of this television show. Expand
  6. Nov 10, 2014
    The first season of Sherlock is very witty and smart. Brilliant acting and stellar scripts are part of what makes this one of the brightest shows on TV.
  7. Sep 24, 2014
    Almost a perfect 10, acting, music, character development, scenery, action, mystery. I have to give a 11 for writing though, it's brilliant. Each series is 3 episode, for some reason, the 2nd in each is my least favourite but no problem watching them all several times.
  8. Sep 23, 2014
    sherlock would not stoop to using OLD sms-texting.

From his smartphone he would use OTR with Xmpp Texting

mouthbreathers will be confused and unable to highlight words to right-click lookup on Duck DUCK go!
  9. Sep 20, 2014
    Smart dialogue Perfectly Casted great mystery's Sherlock is a great TV Show.

EP1- A study in pink 9.2/10
    EP2- The blind banker 8.2/10
    EP3- The great game 9/10 overall 9.0/10
  10. Jun 10, 2014
    A very clever show with great writing and acting, all though the third season is the weaker season of the series it still manages to keep the cleverness that the previous seasons had all though the series is definetly worth a watch and is very entertaining B+
  11. Jun 9, 2014
    Sherlock season 1 is great, but never has a show so instantly established itself as classic, and then imploded. Seasons 2 is OK. Season 3, what I saw of it, was terrible. I've given up watching. The show has become so frantic in its pacing and how it is shot, like a 50 minute music video, that I just can't take it anymore. I think some shots are so short they must occupy half a frame ofSherlock season 1 is great, but never has a show so instantly established itself as classic, and then imploded. Seasons 2 is OK. Season 3, what I saw of it, was terrible. I've given up watching. The show has become so frantic in its pacing and how it is shot, like a 50 minute music video, that I just can't take it anymore. I think some shots are so short they must occupy half a frame of film. Also, rather than understand Sherlock's reasoning, as we did in season 1, the explanations in season 3 are not explanations at all. They are just pretend explanations that come and go so quickly we are not even meant to understand them, which makes the show boring. I wish the show were still like season 1. In other words, just dramatize the story, and cut out all the post production jazz overdubs and visuals and all that hyperactive nonsense. If you have so little faith in your story that you have to dress it up with all this gibbering nonsense, don't even bother telling it. It's annoying. I'm going back to re-watch the 1980s-90s Sherlock Holmes, the definitive series with Jeremy Brett, which by the way this series copies very very much in terms of Sherlock's personality. I've bid goodbye to this ADHD Attention Deficit Disordered version. Enough is enough. Expand
  12. Jun 6, 2014
    Very amazing programme, loved every minute of it. Very interesting editing and camera shots. Officially a Sherlock fan. I'm even doing my essay on Sherlock.
  13. Jun 5, 2014
    A masterpiece of a show. It will require a larger amount of time per episode than usual for a show, but it is totally worth it. They are more like short movies. Flawless movies, with clever humor, mystery, and great actors.
  14. Jun 1, 2014
    Great acting, great writing and the story is fantastic but it suffers from over-compexity and too many sublets especially in EP 3. Overall Sherlock season 1 is a terrific start but overrated. 7.810.
  15. Apr 17, 2014
    What's not to love about Sherlock, brilliant actors, brilliant writers, brilliant story line and everything in-between the fact of how its modern everything about it is brilliant but as im sure many others are who watch this show like myself seeing the slight slip it took in season three despite it being a brilliant season there just wasn't the amount of crimes and time with just SherlockWhat's not to love about Sherlock, brilliant actors, brilliant writers, brilliant story line and everything in-between the fact of how its modern everything about it is brilliant but as im sure many others are who watch this show like myself seeing the slight slip it took in season three despite it being a brilliant season there just wasn't the amount of crimes and time with just Sherlock and john as there needed to be. I love Marys character but at the same time its because of her major involvement that Magnuson or however you spell it was underplayed. I think in future series of this show that they need to return to the classic stuff and somehow factor in events from season 3 to do with Mary (don't want to spoil for people who haven't seen). Expand
  16. Mar 29, 2014
    I decided to watch the first Sherlock due to my sister really liking it and it really didn't disappoint with this first season. While before this I never read even just a page of a Sherlock Holmes book, I found myself enjoying the characters and the drama in this series. I would absolutely recommend this series to anyone; as far as I know you can find the first two seasons of this show on Netflix.
  17. Mar 18, 2014
    Benedict Cumberbatch is a blessing to all things performance. So much so, that I can't help but wonder why it isn't his face appearing in Metacritic's picture for Sherlock. Not that Freeman isn't also a splendid actor, but the show isn't called "Watson," is it? Just a thought.
  18. Mar 14, 2014
    Damn this show is grat, ben is great as sherlock, and i love watson as well, the convination of both of them is amazing, i dont think there is a better sherlock than bennedict
  19. Mar 8, 2014
    This show is absolutely amazing for all ages. It's funny, suspenseful and has the best plot. Benedict Cumberbatch and the whole casting is absolutely spectacular throughout making this my favorite television show ever!
  20. Feb 22, 2014
    This show managed what many others failed, bringing Sherlock Holmes to the present day, but they managed it, they got a perfect actor as Sherlock, they have great mystery, and it is just perfect.
  21. Feb 15, 2014
    Sherlock is my equal favourite television series of all time, including Doctor Who.

This series has [arguably] the smartest writing on modern television and it feels cinematic with a bit of a flamboyant British feel to it. My favourite episode of the series, so far, would have to be A Scandal in Belgravia. The episode is rife with action, witty dialogue, political cover-ups and a

My favourite episode of the series, so far, would have to be A Scandal in Belgravia. The episode is rife with action, witty dialogue, political cover-ups and a story where everything comes full-circle; not one story detail is forgotten. P.S. Irene Adler was wonderful in this episode, her censored cleavage and all.

If you love television that feels truly big with outstanding acting and writing, Sherlock is the show for you. Benedict Cumberbatch breathes new life into the character of Sherlock Holmes and Martin Freeman portrays John Watson in a very down-to-earth way, but craves action: e.g. A Study in Pink.
  22. Jan 31, 2014
    Loved seasons 1 & 2, but the current one... ghastly! 3 hours to date, and not a single case we can sink our teeth in. Lame little sub-plots with flashbacks (ad nauseam !!) that only a flaming ADD sufferer would appreciate. The recent (2nd) episode gave me a headache and left me bored, bored bored! Bang!
  23. Jan 30, 2014
    This is a wonderful modern day take on the old Sherlock Holmes stories from back in the day. Cumberbatch is at his best, per usual, and Freeman plays a great sidekick. I feel like the image of Moriarty was taken in a direction that I'm still not sure I like. He's clearly as evil as ever but the guy playing him gives a performance that is very up or down. I'm also not sure if I like theThis is a wonderful modern day take on the old Sherlock Holmes stories from back in the day. Cumberbatch is at his best, per usual, and Freeman plays a great sidekick. I feel like the image of Moriarty was taken in a direction that I'm still not sure I like. He's clearly as evil as ever but the guy playing him gives a performance that is very up or down. I'm also not sure if I like the format of the show. 3 hour and a half "episodes" per season is just something I'm not used to and probably will never get used to seeing. You really have to sit down and commit to this if you're going to get into the show. It's not really a negative so I can't penalize it for that. Just know that people in America watching this show might be confused by the movie length of these episodes. Expand
  24. Jan 29, 2014
    Fantastic performances by Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbatch, great use of making classic 'Sherlock Holmes' stories taking place in modern day London, and all around great story arc you can get invested into.
  25. Jan 25, 2014
    despite the fact the latest episodes were just not as good in plot, it's fair to say that the creators of Doctor Who have reintroduced Britain's most loved detective, and done so with generally exciting, extreme and well put together programs.
  26. Jan 16, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sherlock Season 1 is a smart and snazzy introduction to a modern take on everyone's favourite super-sleuth, Sherlock Holmes. Although it's not without its not without its growing pains, the first series stands as great, highly entertaining television, with top notch actors, characterization, and mysteries.

A study in Pink vitally establishes what exactly we will grow to love in the coming episodes. This marks the first meeting of Sherlock (Benedict Cumberbatch) and Watson (Martin Freeman) and their new flat in Baker Street, which is home to all kinds of excellent banter later on. This episode's highlights were found in learning just who the world's first consulting detective really is. John Watson plays the role of the viewer in a way -- constantly confused about Sherlock's actions and what he did to piss so many people off.

The answer is simply because he's Sherlock, and that's what makes this character, brought to life by the outstanding Cumberbatch, so fascinating to watch.

Honestly though, despite an interesting premise (mass suicide outbreak for no apparent reason) the villain sort of falls flat. He does, however, mention Moriarty for the first time. The game is on.

The next episode, The Blind Banker, may just be Sherlock's worst yet. I'm not Asian but racism is definitely apparent in this episode, with the Chinese being perceived as evil and scheming. Every single character Chinese character is a con or ex-con, so while it didn't offend me personally, I found it quite distasteful. I also feel like this episode didn't justify its entire 90 minute screen-time, as the case quickly lost steam after around 40 minutes. Otherwise, this episode is salvaged by Freeman and Cumberbatch, and more of what we loved from episode 1.

The Season's magnum opus would undoubtedly have to be The Great Game. The whole concept of using explosives and strapping them to innocent citizens isn't exactly original but Moriarty (Andrew Scott) does things extremely differently than typical fictional bad guys. Instead of forcing his victims to do tasks they otherwise wouldn't, Moriarty uses innocent lives just to get to Sherlock. This is Moriarty's first appearance, and his flamboyant and clever behaviour really added a lot to the finale. The consulting criminal is smart enough to go toe to toe with Sherlock and tricks him into a very sticky situation by the end of the episode. Watching Andrew Scott's Moriarty is a treat every second he's on screen.

Sherlock Season 1 was a very solid opening to one of the best mystery dramas on TV. The amazing cast including Cumberbatch, Freeman, Scott, and Mark Gatiss, who not only puts on a great performance as Mycroft but writes the Season's best episode too, pulls us through the hard times to give us an amazing finale. Michael Price's score is also definitely worth mentioning too; Sherlock wouldn't be the same without it. If you like what you saw, Season 2 only gets better.
  27. Jan 10, 2014
    I never thought I would say that a three-episode TV season would be the greatest bargain I've ever received. Sherlock is an unbelievable experience, taking every recent iteration of the iconic sleuth and overshadowing each one with its witty dialogue and incredible lead acting. Cumberbatch, who flawlessly portrays the lovably heartless sociopath, and Freeman, the humane war veteran Watson,I never thought I would say that a three-episode TV season would be the greatest bargain I've ever received. Sherlock is an unbelievable experience, taking every recent iteration of the iconic sleuth and overshadowing each one with its witty dialogue and incredible lead acting. Cumberbatch, who flawlessly portrays the lovably heartless sociopath, and Freeman, the humane war veteran Watson, come together as one of the best on-screen duos quite possibly in any medium. Their banter both in and outside the crime scenes, ranging from deductions to social conflicts, give the series an unquenchable spirit that keeps the audience begging for more. The mysteries are also cleverly adapted from the source material, taking Doyle's masterpieces and reinventing them with a modern twist that adds a sense of relevance to the episodes. Even the supporting cast is memorable, featuring performances that make me seriously rethink my opinions of the Robert Downey films. Lestrade is not a bumbling idiot but a useful ally. Mrs. Hudson isn't an irritable landlady, but a sweet, naive mother figure. Everything feels better and allows me to invest in the story even more.
    In short, it says a lot about a series to produce three episodes a season. They need to uphold a strong level of quality to make up for the lack of content they provide. However, Sherlock needn't worry about all this. The characters, mysteries, and dialogue not only come together like cogs in a machine, perfectly working off one another to produce an exceptional final product, but also go above and beyond the source material with a modern spin that truly shines. It is my sincere hope that Sherlock lasts forever, because its undeniable charm has forever been implanted into my mind, taking root and, like a good mystery, will never escape until the case is closed.
    Elementary.

9.5/10
  28. Jan 10, 2014
    Every episode is of movie quality. I find myself analyzing every movement of every character in hopes that i will have taken part in the intricate unraveling mystery of each episode. EVERY MAIN CHARACTER IS SPOT ON. My wife and I stare into other people shopping carts, deducing their intentions and previous motives. We all need a Sherlock in our lives.
  29. Dec 22, 2013
    It's a breath of fresh air; while the changes may prove jarring for those loyal to Sir Doyle's script, or to any other rendition of this popular character(s), it's still much more entertaining and well-written than a good majority of what's available on TV in the last few years.
  30. Dec 20, 2013
    He is everything you want in a modern day sleuth; he is funny, intriguing, mysterious and doesn't have any time for media! Remember the days when you watched that first really, really good captivating and enrapturing mystery--well it has been repeated in a rare way. I don't think there will be ever a chance to replicate and remix Sherlock in such a wonderful and elaborate way every again.He is everything you want in a modern day sleuth; he is funny, intriguing, mysterious and doesn't have any time for media! Remember the days when you watched that first really, really good captivating and enrapturing mystery--well it has been repeated in a rare way. I don't think there will be ever a chance to replicate and remix Sherlock in such a wonderful and elaborate way every again.

Well done! I have a new found faith in TV--thanks BBC--that it's story must not pivot in sexuality and cursing. That a show can have deep characters and dialogue that are fully able to resuscitate the brain once again with a electrifying shock to the system. A show that makes me think! I even wrote notes with hope that the producers gave me some hints to the seconds series GRAND finale!
  31. Dec 18, 2013
    besides of having only three episodes per season(this is the only problem)i think this is an terrific series with memorable actuations of benedict cumberbatch and martin freeman.
  32. Dec 17, 2013
  33. Dec 12, 2013
    What an amazing take on the Sherlock Holmes character. Brilliant way to reinterpret the character, some of the most intelligent dialogue on TV (or even in the movies), and Cumberbatch ties it all together so well. My only problem with this series is we only get 3 episodes a season. I understand why they don't want to make too many, I just hunger for more television that is this good.
  34. Nov 25, 2013
    Amazing series. Great casting. The only possible drawback is that there are so few episodes. Can't believe I only picked it up now. It makes the US version seem a bit, well, Elementary.
  35. Nov 23, 2013
    One day, during summer vacation, I was bored. To remedy that, I decided that I wanted to read the whole Sherlock Holmes collection. I loved them, and I was obsessed with Sherlock Holmes for the entire summer, learning as much as I could about the series and about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. During the school year though, I had a physics teacher that constantly praised the TV series that theOne day, during summer vacation, I was bored. To remedy that, I decided that I wanted to read the whole Sherlock Holmes collection. I loved them, and I was obsessed with Sherlock Holmes for the entire summer, learning as much as I could about the series and about Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. During the school year though, I had a physics teacher that constantly praised the TV series that the British were producing.

Finally, I've gotten to see season 1 and I'm eager for more.

The cast is great. After watching Benedict Cumberbatch, I don't know if there is anyone more capable than he to play Sherlock. He does an excellent job portraying all of his quirks and tendencies. They've done an equally remarkable job with the rest of the cast. Showing the various reactions to Sherlock and his oddities and poor John Watson having to put up with his bouts of boredom, drug addiction, and crazy chemistry experiments.

They did a great job putting together the stories and taking after the short novels. Many elements are exactly taken out of series, but others are added, which is understandable given the nature of the length of each season. They even have Sherlock's vast network of homeless people and ne'er-do-wells that do his bidding around the city. Everything is done with a great sense of urgency, just like Sherlock would have it, and how sometimes his directness leads to some great laughs.

Each episode as an hour and a half, so they're basically all short movies, but each one is filled to the brim and thoroughly enjoyable when you can find the time to watch them all in one sitting. Again, I'm eager for more and can't wait to see how the series continues.
  36. Oct 10, 2013
    I've got an advise to watch this, I usually do not watch TV shows, but this one is just great! Perfect cast, deep and well played characters, stories that keep you thrilled. So clever, so interesting to watch. Waiting for the third season.
  37. Oct 9, 2013
    An excellent piece of television and modern adaptation. For once, an (older) adaptation has been done correctly in a modern setting. Watch this, and watch the second series it's excellent.
  38. Sep 11, 2013
    The first episode intrigued me for a while before the reveal, which was not very creative. The second episode held my attention throughout and thoroughly entertained me. The third I found preposterous. Running around and actually going nowhere. They got some kid to play Moriarty. Very non convincing. And he's a sort of a circus clown. The cinematography, of course, is awesome, so is theThe first episode intrigued me for a while before the reveal, which was not very creative. The second episode held my attention throughout and thoroughly entertained me. The third I found preposterous. Running around and actually going nowhere. They got some kid to play Moriarty. Very non convincing. And he's a sort of a circus clown. The cinematography, of course, is awesome, so is the music. I just hope the second season would be able to fill in the gaps in the creative process. Expand
  39. Aug 12, 2013
    I wasn't convinced to the idea of show at start- I've read several Doyle's book, where the atmosphere of Victorian London is important issue. Setting the plot in the present day seemed to be kind of blasphemy against the original series. Fortunately, I was wrong. BBC series appear to be more "Sherlock Holmes" than those trashy movies with Robert Downey Jr. The episodes are loosely based onI wasn't convinced to the idea of show at start- I've read several Doyle's book, where the atmosphere of Victorian London is important issue. Setting the plot in the present day seemed to be kind of blasphemy against the original series. Fortunately, I was wrong. BBC series appear to be more "Sherlock Holmes" than those trashy movies with Robert Downey Jr. The episodes are loosely based on the original crime stories of sir Doyle (e.g. "Study in Scarlet", first book featuring Mr. Holmes), so you can treat them as brand new adventures of Sherlock. Cumberbatch's appearance as eccentric and arrogant detective is really convincing. Creators of TV series achieved to do something ostensibly impossible: they managed to resurrect almost 150 years old hero in respectful, interesting way. Dear Hollywood, take notes. Expand
  40. Jul 30, 2013
    Sherlock's season 1 has only 3 episodes and it is a really interesting idea. Sherlock Holmes in the present. Not bad I have to say but this series has got something to tell. It is interesting and funny the same time. It is kind of tiring that each episode last one hour and thirty minutes and it would be much better if it had more episodes. I want to watch the next season and i hope it'sSherlock's season 1 has only 3 episodes and it is a really interesting idea. Sherlock Holmes in the present. Not bad I have to say but this series has got something to tell. It is interesting and funny the same time. It is kind of tiring that each episode last one hour and thirty minutes and it would be much better if it had more episodes. I want to watch the next season and i hope it's better than the first one as the only bad thing about this series is the duration of each episode. Nothing else to say here... Expand
  41. Jul 26, 2013
    Simply the best show on TV in either nation right now. Cumberbatch as the (very) odd looking psychopathic personality of Holmes is game-changing acting, where as Freeman as Watson is perfect for the quintessential British everyman, as though the role were scripted 150 years ago specifically for him. If you don't have Netflix, this is by itself enough to be worth the $9 a month.. BESTSimply the best show on TV in either nation right now. Cumberbatch as the (very) odd looking psychopathic personality of Holmes is game-changing acting, where as Freeman as Watson is perfect for the quintessential British everyman, as though the role were scripted 150 years ago specifically for him. If you don't have Netflix, this is by itself enough to be worth the $9 a month.. BEST RINGTONES EVER!, Moriarity and Adler!
    Speaking of Cumberbatch: It was fun to watch, but, seriously, Khan? One, the name don't fit, and two, no one who ever saw the original is going to picture Cumberbatch over Montalban given the eight inch difference in the pec muscles. I'm hetero, but I'm just sayin...
  42. Jun 11, 2013
    This show gives the illusion of intelligence, but truly all the audience has to do is sit there. Whenever Sherlock deduces something we are given a thorough explanation of his mental process, completely eliminating the need to think for ourselves.
    "I'm not a psychopath, Anderson, I'm a high-functioning sociopath." This is wrong. Sherlock displays many personality traits that separate him from sociopaths. Over the years, he has merely conditioned himself to be callous, as emotions are detrimental to logic. Also, this show doesn't quite captivate his ability to defend himself. In 'The Blind Banker', we see Sherlock dodging the attacks of man with a sword, luckily Sherlock is assisted by the fast forward function of the editing studio, not to forget he somehow distracted an assassin by shouting, "Look!"
    Although I will admit Benedict Cumberbatch is a great actor, he doesn't have the best accompanying cast. Throughout the show, I've seen Martin Freeman deliver countless lines devoid of emotion. Maybe he gave all of his emotions to Moriarty, because that guy has plenty. It's an outrage! Moriarty is a man that is depicted (in the books) as being sophisticated, charming and intelligent. BBC Moriarty is borderline psychotic. It's almost as though he is based on Jim Carrey's portrayal of The Riddler.
    All of this is not to say I dislike the show, in fact, it's the opposite. I merely wanted to notify others that the show is not perfect.
  43. Jun 1, 2013
    BBC keeps getting it right! Sherlock is such a beautiful TV show with the best dialogue, a great mix of old and new! Fast paced, well casted and satisfyingly long episodes!
  44. Ndi
    May 26, 2013
    As an intelligent person, I am used to seeing TV shows about smart people being utter nonsense. I was pleasantly surprised by this series, with all the pieces in place, non-nonsense plot line and a fresh view on an age-old character that, even though intriguing and famous, got overworked and is limited by old books.

It's hard to pick up and reboot an icon, but this one is well done.

It's hard to pick up and reboot an icon, but this one is well done.

No comparison to the movie everyone quotes, that has nothing to do with Sherlock making him a future reading ninja. This series is back to Sherlock, a smart man with incredible observation and deduction skills.

No offense, but let the age old British investigator in the hands of the British TV. BBC doesn't let down on this one.
  45. May 22, 2013
    An outstanding concept is brought to life by Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman. Brilliant cinematography and fresh direction makes this must-watch viewing.
  46. May 2, 2013
    With cast, music and writers like Sherlock has, all you got to do is love this show. Brilliantly written series, the humour is clever and so are the cases. My favourite series!
  47. Apr 30, 2013
    This show is a masterpiece, great acting, interesting storylines, a true retelling of Sherlock Holmes. Benedict Cumberpatch is a great Sherlock, Martin Freeman is a helpful Watson, and Andrew Scott is a wonderfully evil Moriarty. Can't wait for Season 3!
  48. Apr 21, 2013
    Simply a Masterpiece!

Sharp, Funny, Thriller, Mystery.
    Good acting, amazing story line, bring a whole new life to a classic novel.
    can't wait for another season!
  49. Apr 15, 2013
    Genius, Awesome, great, amazing, WOOWW!.
    This Mini Series is the greatest thing in my Life i´ve ever watched its full of brilliancy. It´s funny, exciting and.... smply AWESOME!!
    Thank you BBC!!
  50. Apr 9, 2013
    Another great example of what british tv shows and actors can do. This show manages to make the movies look childish and dumb. This is the ultimate sherlock holmes story and personally my favorite tv show yet. If anyone hasn't seen this show by now you are missing ut on something truly brilliant.
  51. Apr 2, 2013
    Possible the most well-made TV show I have ever watched. Clever, witty, and great acting from all the characters. The relationship between Sherlock and Watson is fantastic and the finale was heart-breaking.
  52. Mar 26, 2013
    The show is beautiful. With it's integration of typography, humor, drama, and emotion, this show had me hooked within two minutes. The acting is gold, the plot keeps you on edge (even when your friends won't stop talking over the TV), and the heart behind it finds the viewer growing attached to the characters, themselves.
  53. Mar 24, 2013
    A truly perfect series as far as character development, story and everything technical are concerned. A stunning piece of television to watch if only for the beautiful editing. Cumberbatch and Freeman act the roles perfectly and the books are complimented brilliantly whilst modernising the intelligent franchise. Would recommend the series to anyone, gave me goosebumps
  54. Feb 13, 2013
    The reviews of this show were overwhelmingly positive by the critics. To be honest, as a result I started watched this show looking for any flaws. But there were almost none. Benedict Cumberbatch's acting may be a bit bland, but that is the whole point. It distances Sherlock from the other characters. Also, the banter between Sherlock and Watson sometimes adds a humorous tint to the film.The reviews of this show were overwhelmingly positive by the critics. To be honest, as a result I started watched this show looking for any flaws. But there were almost none. Benedict Cumberbatch's acting may be a bit bland, but that is the whole point. It distances Sherlock from the other characters. Also, the banter between Sherlock and Watson sometimes adds a humorous tint to the film. The dialogue is beautifully crafted to each character's emotions and personalities. But be warned: this is not meant to be a funny show. The mysteries keep you guessing until the end. The plot developments, twists and turns keep you entertained. But the thing that stands Sherlock out from all other fictional characters is the simple logic of his observational and deductive reasoning. Hats off to the director. This guy is a genius. Its hard to explain what he does, so just watch the show to see it for yourself. He manages to pull me into each story at an emotional level. And don't forget the music. It ranges from tense music in the suspenseful scenes to energetic in the fast-paced scenes. Okay, there is one flaw, to be fair. I would have liked a bit more character development. We don't learn much new about each character, especially Sherlock.

Altogether, my final verdict is: if you haven't watched it, Watch it. Now. I'm waiting.
  55. Feb 6, 2013
    Sherlock is a clever TV-show that should be entertaining for anyone ranging from teens to elders! It is clever, it is surprising, it is great! It has that rare thing in TV shows, that thing where you can pick up any episodes, and you have a guarantee that it's gonna be great. 9 not 10 because episode 2 of the first season was a bit less entertaining to me than all the rest of the episodes.Sherlock is a clever TV-show that should be entertaining for anyone ranging from teens to elders! It is clever, it is surprising, it is great! It has that rare thing in TV shows, that thing where you can pick up any episodes, and you have a guarantee that it's gonna be great. 9 not 10 because episode 2 of the first season was a bit less entertaining to me than all the rest of the episodes. But anyway, watch this show, and enjoy it, and enjoy it you shall! Expand
  56. Jan 29, 2013
    As a 3 episode "season", Sherlock is positively wonderful, displaying the namesake character in a manner that has not been seen before. I thought the first episode was amazing in every way, though I was disappointed with the second episode which I found to not continue the high bar set by the first. I would give the first episode a 10, the second a 8, and the third which was better thanAs a 3 episode "season", Sherlock is positively wonderful, displaying the namesake character in a manner that has not been seen before. I thought the first episode was amazing in every way, though I was disappointed with the second episode which I found to not continue the high bar set by the first. I would give the first episode a 10, the second a 8, and the third which was better than the second, a 9. Expand
  57. Jan 6, 2013
    Complete rubbish. Can't believe so many think this is intelligent TV. How depressing. In short the Sherlock acting is completely OTT, the script is no more than some bizarre crossword or deduction puzzle that's complete nonsense. If you're an adult avoid.
  58. Dec 19, 2012
    Rarely does a t.v. show capture my attention. It's not cheesy, or conceited, but actually, pure MAGIC! The acting is incredible, script is superb, direction is out of the park- clearly, if you hate this show, you are either unfair, not intelligent, or don't appreciate good televison! A treat! One of my favorites!
  59. Dec 18, 2012
    Sharp, clever, intense, and perfectly acted by Martin Freeman and Benedict Cumberbach. Well developed characters and highly engaging/interesting plot lines...brilliant show!
  60. Dec 12, 2012
    Sherlock is evidence that the BBC is the last remaining beacon of hope in a sea of mass-produced money driven TV shows which are nothing but the same old crap reskinned again and again. With each episode roughly the length of a film, Sherlock is an excellent take on some old stories, and with stellar acting to boot. Easily the best show currently on TV.
  61. Dec 11, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Sherlock is perhaps one of the better conceived BBC shows that have come out in the last decade, unfortunately for the show, it doesn't live up to the idea.
    I've got no problems with Steven Moffat, he's a great writer and producer, but I just can't get into the feel of the show, it's got nothing to do with the shorter series time-in fact, I prefer series that are shorter, IMO it makes the story better-but there's something about the show that I couldn't initially put my finger on.
    With the 'Holmesian' explosion in the media of late, there's been a lot of takes on Holmes and while some would prefer the more traditional appeal of Sherlock from the books, the edgy feel of characters being 'darker' has been an easy one to lean on lately-and at first I thought that was the problem with Sherlock, but having a somewhat cold and unemotional Sherlock would fit if you transplanted the character to the 21st century.
    For me, the feel of the show went really wrong when in the first episode of season 1- Phil Davis' character screamed the name of the 'Big Bad' in the series so far, Moriarty. I really dislike entering the most well known bad guy in the Holmes story so very early, for me it's sloppy and easy writing, I would prefer using characters and bad guys from the Holmes universe that are perhaps less well known than Moriarty, it could have given the show more scope. i.e.: The Red Headed League, Milverton or 'Holy' Peter would work just as well.
    And on the topic of Professor James, I really disliked the character of James 'Jim' Moriarty, it's no slant against Andrew Scott-he's wonderful. It's just, I prefer the more subtle feel of Moriarty-the best performance of that in recent years in Jared Harris in the film A Game of Shadows, for me it's more interesting that a man of genius level intellect can sit facing someone else and merely smile, have a cup of tea and talk pleasantly while they both play a game of mental chess to figure a way of defeating the other. The Modern take on Moriarty seems to lean too much on a John Simm 'The Master' of Dr Who for a genius 'Napoleon of Crime'.
    With Season 3 looming on the horizon, I'm hoping for a more powerful, possibly more interesting story than what's been shown so far.
  62. Dec 9, 2012
    Great cast and an imaginative concept. Poor character development and annoyingly muddled plots. The result entertaining but annoying because it could have been so much better with a more well written script.
  63. Oct 4, 2012
    The best modern interpretation, of Sherlock Holmes there has ever been. Captures the character right but fits perfectly in the modern world with out seeming out of place. Benedict Cumberbatch and Jeremy Brentt are the two best Holmes to ever be put on screen.
  64. Sep 29, 2012
    This show is pure genius, the acting is incredible, there are so many spots of brilliance throughout each episode. It simply takes my breath away. Andrew Scott as Moriarty in particular blows my mind. He is just so complex, playfully psychotic in a way that is purely deadly. It is genius.
  65. Sep 28, 2012
    Awesome, This show is pure magic, One just can't do better than this. Cast is spectacular and the direction subtle.
    Writing is mesmerising, And Transition to the modern age is flawless.
  66. Aug 28, 2012
    Definitely, one of the best mini-series ever made and an absolute treat for Sherlock Holmes' fans. All the episodes were truly astounding with powerful performances of Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman. The adaptation of the show into modern era is worth appreciating.
  67. Jul 20, 2012
    Brilliant, but with flaws. The first episode of this TV show was stunning. It was captivating and suspenseful. Then came the awful, but somewhat interesting, episode 2. The episode wasn't bad, but I expected a lot more after the amazing first episode. The second episode was boring, bland, and had a terrible villain. Then came the third episode to redeem the series together. Not only doesBrilliant, but with flaws. The first episode of this TV show was stunning. It was captivating and suspenseful. Then came the awful, but somewhat interesting, episode 2. The episode wasn't bad, but I expected a lot more after the amazing first episode. The second episode was boring, bland, and had a terrible villain. Then came the third episode to redeem the series together. Not only does Sherlock solve one mystery, but a few, to solve his main one and the cliffhanger for this episode just leaves you wanting more. This modern adaptation is just brilliantly done and so here i come, season 2. Expand
  68. Jul 10, 2012
    Stunning, absolutely stunning. This 21st century adaptation of Sherlock Holmes is absolutely amazing and is one of the most well produced shows I've ever had the pleasure of watching. It's a bit of a disappointment that each season so far has only had 3 episodes, but I tend to think of it as a season of 3 movies, which you can get for just over the price of one terribly made HollywoodStunning, absolutely stunning. This 21st century adaptation of Sherlock Holmes is absolutely amazing and is one of the most well produced shows I've ever had the pleasure of watching. It's a bit of a disappointment that each season so far has only had 3 episodes, but I tend to think of it as a season of 3 movies, which you can get for just over the price of one terribly made Hollywood movie. The story in each episode is always incredibly fast-paced, jumping from one investigation to a dramatic scene to an action scene to an investigation. However, this show should not be paced any other way. The pacing is perfect for this type of drama, and Benedict Cumberbatch is absolutely brilliant for this show. He plays the role of Sherlock Holmes with ease, and you can really see that he is perfect for this character. Martin Freeman also plays a fantastic John Watson. The story generally keeps you hooked, and the plot twists (at least for me, having never read the original books which many of the episodes are based on) are really shocking, and I never saw them coming. The show succeeds in the fact that you can actually see what Sherlock sees, as the show constantly changes to his point of view and text is constantly appearing on the screen showing what he observes when looking at a certain person or object, and when someone receives a text, you will usually see the contents of the text just appear next to the person reading it, floating right next to them. It's a unique idea, and works brilliantly with the show. Overall, Sherlock is absolutely outstanding. It combines a fast-paced story in each episode, incredibly witty dialogue, engaging characters (with Cumberbatch stealing the show as Sherlock), and some unbelievably complex cases and stories, which are seemingly impossible to solve at first. Sherlock is a damn masterpiece of crime drama, and I strongly recommend that you watch this show, if you haven't done so already. Expand
  69. Jul 5, 2012
    I absolutely love this show. The amount of detail that Sherlock sees is unbelievable, I was a bit skeptic about Steven Moffat being the writer, since the quality of Doctor Who has dwindled in the past year or so, but I was blown away by it, I didn't like the second episode that much but I think that was because I watched it straight after the first episode and I got confused too easily asI absolutely love this show. The amount of detail that Sherlock sees is unbelievable, I was a bit skeptic about Steven Moffat being the writer, since the quality of Doctor Who has dwindled in the past year or so, but I was blown away by it, I didn't like the second episode that much but I think that was because I watched it straight after the first episode and I got confused too easily as I was still thinking about how amazing the first episode was, so my rule is now only watch one episode a night so I can enjoy it and make it last until season 3 comes out :) I love Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman as the main characters, Benedict pulls off Sherlock brilliantly, manages to balance his arrogance and egotism but still make him loveable. I don't know if it is intentional but it seems Sherlock has some sort of ADHD or something in this incarnation, he cannot sit still and HAS to have something to do, if he doesn't he shoots bullets into the wall. Martin Freeman is fantastic as Watson, making him clever and brave from his time at war, giving his opinion on cases whenever he can get a word in. Both actors are fantastic and brilliant in their roles. Expand
  70. Jun 3, 2012
    This is a show you can never be ashamed to recommend. Brett, Hardwicke, RDJ were great. But this is the Sherlock for our time. The game is afoot, indeed!
  71. May 28, 2012
    This show is insanely well written and directed with great acting throughout. A clever style of each episode acting like a whole full length film. Brilliant job and keep up the good work! Can't wait to watch season 2!
  72. May 20, 2012
    The best T.V show ever, prefer it over the films.
    I laughed, I cried and I was baffled by amazing unpredictable twists with a great cast. Everyone needs to see it!
  73. May 19, 2012
    The episodes are too long at 1 hour 30 mins each, and the pacing is off at some points, but overall it's quite clever, has good acting & direction and is engaging because you never know what's going to happen- there's always a surprise. It's also very modern and not some ancient nerdfest for literature critics. It's appealing universally.
  74. May 13, 2012
    Great show! Enticing, intriguing fun. Sometimes I find it hard to follow because if you blink, you miss everything. But it really is a treat. A witty, brilliant treat.
  75. May 8, 2012
    The wife and I saw the brilliant un-aired pilot to Moffat's Sherlock reboot. It was tightly directed and scripted I like Moffat's work on Doctor Who and was excited about the show. . . . Until I saw the official pilot plodding, dull and stupid -They show the damn murder in the first scene- It was like they sent it to be re-written by a committee of 11 year old american boys and told themThe wife and I saw the brilliant un-aired pilot to Moffat's Sherlock reboot. It was tightly directed and scripted I like Moffat's work on Doctor Who and was excited about the show. . . . Until I saw the official pilot plodding, dull and stupid -They show the damn murder in the first scene- It was like they sent it to be re-written by a committee of 11 year old american boys and told them to dumb it up. I say to the wife "we are prolly are just underwhelmed because of how good the un-aired pilot was." or maybe she said it to me because she is clever like that.
    We watched the second episode "The Blind Banker" another murder in the first scene another give-me pseudo-mystery. Don't get me wrong there is some delightful racism throughout, fortune cookie accents, and inscrutable Asians. So it was not a total loss. the show is fun it is just not smart and worse it assumes we are not smart.
    Then came the "The Great Game" and the worst Moriarty ever. He plays a hyper-controlled super-genius criminal like Jim Carey playing "gay". Speaking of which the already have in the cast the perfect Moriarty Mark Gatiss. When he appeared in the Pilot I thought what a great choice of Moriarty. Not only is Mark number 3 on the list of people I would go gay for. He is wasted on Mycroft. He is the right age a -generation older than Benedict Cumberbatch-, the right temperament, he is a member of the league of gentlemen and can actually act. More importantly he is believable as a math-professor that controls the criminal world like a chess game. The fool they have playing the part, screams and chews the scenery any time he gets a cellphone call. The "I am sOoOo changeable" line had me on the floor laughing and not in the good way.
    I guess I should be grateful Moffat has presented me with a real mystery - why does this show only have good reviews?
  76. Apr 13, 2012
    Nothing is at fault in this epic show!! the acting is amazing and the stories are both ingenious and intriguing- i take my hat off to everyone working on the show!
  77. Mar 17, 2012
    Even better than the film. This new take on Sherlock Holmes is absolutely brilliant, television does not get much better than this. Benedict Cumberbatch has mastered the role completely and the same can be said for Martin Freeman, they both work so well together and the banter between their characters is one of many things that makes this show brilliant. It is so cleverly written andEven better than the film. This new take on Sherlock Holmes is absolutely brilliant, television does not get much better than this. Benedict Cumberbatch has mastered the role completely and the same can be said for Martin Freeman, they both work so well together and the banter between their characters is one of many things that makes this show brilliant. It is so cleverly written and directed that you're hooked as soon as the opening credits role and after that happens you are in for 90 minutes of sheer awesome. Theres not much more I can say, brilliant writing, directing, acting and some innovation has come together to make this show. Don't think twice about checking it out. Expand
  78. Mar 6, 2012
    Sherlock, it's enough pertinent to the Doyle's novels, BUT the character is very boring because is something already seen.
    This show is terribly old, because Sherlock Holmes was already in every "detective show".

Monk? Psych? Even Poirot or Doctor House, they were already a Sherlock Holmes before this "Sherlock" came. I'm sorry but - mediocre.
  79. Mar 5, 2012
    Here's to the excellent quality shows that entertain us, especially straight from the Beeb. This show is a piece of genius, intellectually sound and never fails to both entertain and fascinate at this modern update of the famous detective. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are enjoyable as the lead roles, the humour is intelligent, the plot complicated yet understandable when youHere's to the excellent quality shows that entertain us, especially straight from the Beeb. This show is a piece of genius, intellectually sound and never fails to both entertain and fascinate at this modern update of the famous detective. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are enjoyable as the lead roles, the humour is intelligent, the plot complicated yet understandable when you actually think about it. Steven Moffat, writer of Doctor Who, you haven't let me down yet. These two shows will remain forever in my heart. Expand
  80. Mar 5, 2012
    Intelligently written and very well acted, just how television shows should be. My only gripe is it's only 6 episodes long (series 1 & 2). If you want a break from the dumb shows that plague our TVs today, then this show is for you.
  81. Feb 22, 2012
    I am very disappointed with this series, I expected much better, especially after reading the reviews on this web site, unfortunately the series is not credible at all, with unrealistic scenes, Watson limps and walk with a cane, the next scene he runs like an athlete at the Olympic games, I certainly understand that it is a fiction, but I don't agree with this new version, Conan Doyle mustI am very disappointed with this series, I expected much better, especially after reading the reviews on this web site, unfortunately the series is not credible at all, with unrealistic scenes, Watson limps and walk with a cane, the next scene he runs like an athlete at the Olympic games, I certainly understand that it is a fiction, but I don't agree with this new version, Conan Doyle must be turning in his grave if he saw his work transformed like that Expand
  82. osh
    Feb 18, 2012
    I really tried to like this show, but I struggled to even finish the first episode, and I can't bring myself to watch another. I've always loved quirky genius characters, and mysteries are just so much fun, but something about this show kept putting me off. For starters, the production budget was obviously somewhat low, and there was this constant feeling like they were trying so hard toI really tried to like this show, but I struggled to even finish the first episode, and I can't bring myself to watch another. I've always loved quirky genius characters, and mysteries are just so much fun, but something about this show kept putting me off. For starters, the production budget was obviously somewhat low, and there was this constant feeling like they were trying so hard to appear otherwise. The weird visual effects with the text-messages hovering around the characters and the "Sherlock vision" were particular examples of this -- they just felt so gimmicky. The characters weren't especially believable either, especially the police and the first episode's villain, whose face I don'r remember showing a single expression until his unintentionally comical last word. I think the writing is largely to blame, too. The climax scene has basically the same premise as a scene from the Princess Bride, and if either of the characters in it had watched the movie, they would have known just how ridiculous it was. The ending of the scene had me doubting the morality of the supposed good guys, too, and it was played off lightheartedly, which didn't do a very good job of selling the series to me. Anyway, there is already a perfectly fine modern interpretation of Sherlock Holmes, and it's called House. Expand
  83. Feb 11, 2012
    I was never a big Sherlock Holmes fan. I knew of it, but I had never bothered to read the books. I remember watching the Sherlock Holmes movie in 2009 and thinking it was an entertaining movie, but nothing more. So when I heard of this TV series, I wasn't too sure if I wanted to see it. Luckily someone told me Steven Moffat was involved with the series. As an avid Doctor Who fan, I decidedI was never a big Sherlock Holmes fan. I knew of it, but I had never bothered to read the books. I remember watching the Sherlock Holmes movie in 2009 and thinking it was an entertaining movie, but nothing more. So when I heard of this TV series, I wasn't too sure if I wanted to see it. Luckily someone told me Steven Moffat was involved with the series. As an avid Doctor Who fan, I decided to give it a try. I did not regret that decision. At 90 minutes, the episodes feel more like feature films. I tend to prefer the shorter films, since 2.5 hours is a bit long to sit still for. 90 minutes can also be too long, but the stories are intriguing and there're plenty of things to watch. Unfortunately the seasons are only three episodes long, but that's not really a problem.

Oh, also. Season two is also great. Unfortunately Metacritic thinks it hasn't aired yet, when all three episodes have in fact aired (in Britain).
  84. Feb 2, 2012
    Wow this is one of the best shows i have ever seen, it came out of nowhere and just blew me away. I didn't even knew it existed but my friends really loved it so i thought i should give it a try. Sherlock is utterly brilliant, clever, sharp and funny. This show is genius with the plot, twists and stories told in such a different way that really holds your attention and makes you glued toWow this is one of the best shows i have ever seen, it came out of nowhere and just blew me away. I didn't even knew it existed but my friends really loved it so i thought i should give it a try. Sherlock is utterly brilliant, clever, sharp and funny. This show is genius with the plot, twists and stories told in such a different way that really holds your attention and makes you glued to the screen and on the edge of the seat throughout. I hardly see any flaw and it has brilliant performances too both Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are well cast as Sherlock and Watson and they share a brilliant chemistry. Everything about this show is just purely flawless. Two thumbs up for the amazing work. Expand
  85. Jan 22, 2012
    This show is amazing. The dialogue is wonderfully written. It is fast-paced. There's some witty commentary here and there. Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are wonderfully cast together. I have recommended to many of my friends and all are glad that I did.
  86. Jan 22, 2012
    Sherlock is just incredible. Full of so many twists and turns, you never know what will happen next. And the end of series cliffhangers are so excellently done. I thoroughly enjoy each episodes that I have seen so far and am looking forward to the next series. It is a great twist to the original books, having it set in modern day times. I encourage all to watch this show as it truly is wonderful.
  87. Jan 18, 2012
    That was well worth waiting for. Unbelievable, what Mark Gatiss and Stephen created, a Masterpiece, nothing less. A perfect match of characters the roles of Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, brilliant cast. Clever, witty, fast, humouros and thrilling. What else we could ask for? Now that the 2nd series already aired, we are craving for more. Lets hope that the producers will performThat was well worth waiting for. Unbelievable, what Mark Gatiss and Stephen created, a Masterpiece, nothing less. A perfect match of characters the roles of Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman, brilliant cast. Clever, witty, fast, humouros and thrilling. What else we could ask for? Now that the 2nd series already aired, we are craving for more. Lets hope that the producers will perform a miracle and produce a 3rd series as compelling as the first two. Until then, we will have fun with the DVD's to watch a great program and great dialogues over and over again Expand
  88. Jan 2, 2012
    Sherlock is one of the best British series now, if not the best. The actors are not only great, quite correspond to the characters of the original work, but the episodes are also very well written. The replicas are striking, humor is not bad, the rate remains constant ... Totally different from the recent American version / UK, there are still weakly adventures inspired by the originalSherlock is one of the best British series now, if not the best. The actors are not only great, quite correspond to the characters of the original work, but the episodes are also very well written. The replicas are striking, humor is not bad, the rate remains constant ... Totally different from the recent American version / UK, there are still weakly adventures inspired by the original work (despite the recovery of numerous aftershocks and elements of the books) but who do not need to maximize the stunts and special effects for Do I Market. Putting aside the excellent Doctor Who (also created by Steven Moffat) is a series of very rare quality that deserves an audience just as wide as the great American hits. If you do not already know, it's time to discover this gem! Expand
  89. Ido
    Sep 6, 2011
    "Sherlock" is an excellent series. As the series progresses, it gets better, until the amazing climax at the end of this episode.
    the director has done a great job, he hasn't used too much effects, and instead he has used some amazing editing things like camera movement, unusual camera angles and very nice focus games. All these effects did the series, and this episode especially, so good.
    I want to point out that the music was amazing, too.
    the cast did their job on the best side. Cumberbatch gave us an excellent role, which I liked it more than Downey Junior's Sherlock Holmes.
    I hope that Cumberbatch will do the transition from TV to the big screen.
    The third episode's plot was very good, the director keep us suspense until the last minutes, with the amazing finish. What can I say? please give us more episodes, and not just 3 more. Elementary, my dear Watson.
  90. Mar 27, 2011
    Wonderfully written, tastefully made! A great combination of fun and action. You wouldn't realize one episode is just as long as a movie, and it leaves you begging for more. Watch it!
  91. Mar 23, 2011
    I found all three episodes thus far to be great! It definitely leaves you wanting more. Can't wait for season 2!
  92. Mar 7, 2011
    Fabulous series - I love the text assist on the screen to help understand how Sherlock does his deduction. Nothing better than a modern Sherlock. I can't wait for Season 2!!!!!!!
  93. Feb 23, 2011
    Outstanding. I love short stories and this series has absolutely nailed it on the head. Great plot twists. I actually guessed who-dun-it in the first episode but as soon as it entered into my head I dismissed it. But that is what is fun because the action ensued and I was caught up in the chase and engrossed in Sherlock's problem solving skills.
  94. ksb
    Feb 20, 2011
    I really enjoy the actors who play the new Sherlock Holmes and John Watson. The story is well progressed up to modern times, and I am anxiously awaiting the resolution to the Season 1 cliffhanger.
  95. Feb 1, 2011
    Times have moved on and so too has Sherlock Holmes. Basil Rathbone in the noughties of this millennium would simply not have worked. I can't say I can compare this to the recent big screen version "Sherlock Holmes", but what I can say is the writing is top notch as too is the acting. Having watched 1 episode, I wanted another and another right there and then. I felt like a child who justTimes have moved on and so too has Sherlock Holmes. Basil Rathbone in the noughties of this millennium would simply not have worked. I can't say I can compare this to the recent big screen version "Sherlock Holmes", but what I can say is the writing is top notch as too is the acting. Having watched 1 episode, I wanted another and another right there and then. I felt like a child who just had it's first Ice Cream. If only I could have indulged! Just how many times have you turned to your partner and said "Just how good was that"? I know I did. I simply can't wait for the new series. Expand
  96. Jan 18, 2011
    Extremely entertaining show. When I first heard about 'Sherlock Holmes in a modern setting,' I was (justifiably) skeptical. However, the writers managed to first gain intrigue, and then present the story of Sherlock Holmes without destroying the integrity of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's timeless stories. The writing, hand-in-hand with Cumberbatch's performance as a sociopathic genius whoExtremely entertaining show. When I first heard about 'Sherlock Holmes in a modern setting,' I was (justifiably) skeptical. However, the writers managed to first gain intrigue, and then present the story of Sherlock Holmes without destroying the integrity of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's timeless stories. The writing, hand-in-hand with Cumberbatch's performance as a sociopathic genius who possesses no understanding of how humans are supposed to act, makes this series a very strong must-watch. Expand
  97. Jan 5, 2011
    Impressive and entertaining in just about every way. Great acting, excellent and intriguing plots, top-notch cinematography and music, and an ideal mix of humour and action. Martin Freeman is very good as Holmes, but this is a star-defining turn for Benedict Cumberbatch. After the first few minutes, you can't imagine anyone playing this character other than him. Quite a performance. MyImpressive and entertaining in just about every way. Great acting, excellent and intriguing plots, top-notch cinematography and music, and an ideal mix of humour and action. Martin Freeman is very good as Holmes, but this is a star-defining turn for Benedict Cumberbatch. After the first few minutes, you can't imagine anyone playing this character other than him. Quite a performance. My favourite thing? it doesn't attempt to explain the fact that it's a modern version of an old story. For example, Sherlock here isn't presented as the great-great nephew of Sherlock Holmes via some tedious back story. It just basically says "Accept the premise as is and hop on for a great time." Hopeful for more, but highly appreciative even if it ends here. Expand
  98. Jan 4, 2011
    ....To think that T.V. programs like NCIS, CSI or SVU would have eliminated any chance for writers to come up with something genuine and original, then something like this comes along and completely demolishes your perspective of the murder/mystery - fantastic! Saying that this mini-series paves the way for the next age in crime fighting is nothing short of an understatement.

Now, where

Now, where to start? The most subtle and yet wholesomely effective technique that I want to praise is the typography and graphics that pop up throughout the episodes - it definitely reflects today's fast pace nature of this world. The only thing I've come across that comes close to this sort of graphical wonder (and I am by no means a television sleuth) is from the game Heavy Rain. Both of them have a very different take on the genre, but their use of flashy text and drawings makes you want to erase the idea that a pen and paper was all you needed to solve a crime.

Worst part of each episode is when it ends, because you're like, "wtf, but I didn't want it to end!" Seriously, when you watch them you'll try to accuse the episode for having gaps in the story, even though from start to finish you're compelled by how well rounded each episode is. The only 'actual' problem is that it kinda does have gaps in the story in such a way that the pace of the series seems a little to fast. But again, the amount of stuff it covers makes the length of the episode seem short overall.

The actors are frikkin' amoayzing! The main actor portrays his role so well, I think it has actually affected the popularity of the script writers and....dare I say it, the producer as well. The guy that plays the brother is ambiguously powerful, and the arch enemy dude is like nothing I have seen! The least impactive actor would probably be that sidekick guy, but the compliment to the main actor is definitely there.

So, 10/10 overall. Hopefully when the second series comes out later this year, I'll die 'after' the final episode, you know, just in case that the level of awesomeness comes so greatly that I have a heart attack, aneurysm or find $2000 in my pocket.
  99. Dec 30, 2010
    BRILLIANT series! As someone who has always felt that "Jeremy Brett IS Holmes," I'm the kind of person that would normally be put off by a modern update. But this one is so perfectly done, so accurately captures the spirit of the canon, the actors so charming and the writing so smart, there is no way you cannot fall in love. Some of the best television I've seen in years. There need to beBRILLIANT series! As someone who has always felt that "Jeremy Brett IS Holmes," I'm the kind of person that would normally be put off by a modern update. But this one is so perfectly done, so accurately captures the spirit of the canon, the actors so charming and the writing so smart, there is no way you cannot fall in love. Some of the best television I've seen in years. There need to be more than three episodes! Expand
  100. Dec 23, 2010
    I was intrigued by the teasers for this show and since I am a life long Holmesian I had to watch.
    This is brilliant. Dominc Cumberbatch's Holmes is the absolute pitch perfect 21st century "edtiion".
    I love the lighting and the ways they bring in hints from Victorian times like Cumberbatch's hair cut and that wonderful swirling overcoat and scarf he wears. His body movement is amazing. He BECOMES Holmes and yet definitely puts his own stamp on the character and it's a deliberately modern stamp....AND the great thing is you buy it....you go with it ....he just takes you away. The long suffering Watson is now the tough guy partner who will not hesitate to use force and he always has his partner's back. Watching him at first so sad, war weary and skeptical and then becoming mesmerised by Holmes' impossible knack for pursuing excitement and danger was a treat. The stories are modern takes on the originals so you see events and hear names that harken back to the books.
    So many wonderful films and TV shows come out of the UK and we love them for it.....but this? This is a wonder on so many levels. I had to watch the first episode twice because I couldn't believe how brilliant it was. Thank you Masterpiece Mystery for this wonderful realisation of our beloved Sherlock.

1. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Dec 8, 2010
    Clearly, there are few more durable figures in fiction, but capturing the fundamental appeal of Holmes is quite another matter. And on that level, Sherlock cannily cracks the case.
  2. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    Oct 24, 2010
    Thanks to committed performances from Cumberbatch and Freeman, and clever writing from Moffat and Gatiss, most of it works splendidly.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Oct 24, 2010
    It is cinematic in the sense that nothing in it looks quite real. But it works: This is not the London known as jolly and old, but the new chilly city of glass, a place of missed connections, of aliens and alienation. And the smart dialogue and warm performances--even Holmes has a discernible beating heart, or perhaps two--keep ice from forming on the production.