• Network: The CW
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 16, 2001
Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 10
8.1

1. Dec 21, 2010
    It almost seems pointless to write a review of Smallville since the show appeals to a very specific, niche group of fans. Of the 5 ratings, the average Metacritic score is 9.8. So...yet another 10 seems pointless. However, what I do want to write about is how rare Smallville is in terms of quality of live action shows based on comic books. Ever since the success of the Batman movieIt almost seems pointless to write a review of Smallville since the show appeals to a very specific, niche group of fans. Of the 5 ratings, the average Metacritic score is 9.8. So...yet another 10 seems pointless. However, what I do want to write about is how rare Smallville is in terms of quality of live action shows based on comic books. Ever since the success of the Batman movie done by Tim Burton in 1989, Warner, who has since purchased DC Comics and done a magnificent jobs re-inventing the comic-based animated series with the Bruce Timm-produced Batman, Superman, Justice League and Batman Beyond programs, took a chance on a couple of live action versions of certain heroes. Birds of Prey wasn't as successful, but the Miles Millar and Alfred Gough-created concept, which initially appealed to comic fans and teenage drama watchers alike, has put a unique, yet sustainable and modern spin on the classic canon. I was never a fan of the Smallville-era Superboy/Lana Lang portion of the Superman mythos, but tying it to an early Lex and making it modern hooked me from day one. And now, 10 seasons later, the series has done wonders in transitioning to Metropolis, Lois Lane and even superb renditions of the Justice League. While Tom Welling may never win an Oscar for his acting ability, he has been the perfect naive farm boy learning his purpose in the world. I can't say enough about the appeal of Allison Mack as Chloe and the transition into Erica Durance's PERFECT portrayal of Lois Lane. I will be sad to see this show end in a few months. If you never got a chance to see this show and had any interest in Superman, buy the series on DVD/Blu Ray and spend time watching it. You won't be disappointed. Expand
  2. Sep 23, 2010
    The Best Superman TV series Ever IMO. This show is even better than Superman Returns the Movie. Great cast, cool fight scenes( even tho they could be longer ) , great stories. We are in the last season now, season 10, i do hope they continue if the ratings pull way up, i think this show can go on for a few more seasons. I love this show and i enjoy ever min of it. :) Remember folks, SeasonThe Best Superman TV series Ever IMO. This show is even better than Superman Returns the Movie. Great cast, cool fight scenes( even tho they could be longer ) , great stories. We are in the last season now, season 10, i do hope they continue if the ratings pull way up, i think this show can go on for a few more seasons. I love this show and i enjoy ever min of it. :) Remember folks, Season 10 starts 9/24/2010 8pm Fridays. Expand
  3. Oct 13, 2010
    This is a show that seems to have constantly justify its continued existence. Smallville has become a show that barely resembles anything that it was originally but for the most part it's become stronger for it as a unique origin story of the greatest superhero of all time. Very well cast, acted and imaginative. At its worst its structure is repetitive, dialogue unneccessary cryptic andThis is a show that seems to have constantly justify its continued existence. Smallville has become a show that barely resembles anything that it was originally but for the most part it's become stronger for it as a unique origin story of the greatest superhero of all time. Very well cast, acted and imaginative. At its worst its structure is repetitive, dialogue unneccessary cryptic and not to the point, suffers from its television budget. Howver at its best it has been a charming drama about family, friendship and responsibility without being preachy, it represents an ideal vision of humanity and its horrors, its a romantic coming of age show, its a sci-fi fantasy about an alien raised by humans who then tries to discover himself. Tom Welling has played Clark Kent perfectly for nearly over a decade and has become a iconic Superman. Michael Rosenbaum as well was the best Lex Luthor ever put to screen. It's now in its final season and should stand testament as the definitive television series about comic book superheroes. Expand
  4. Mar 23, 2011
    Was a fantastic series for 9 seasons. I'm feeling seriously let down by the last season so far. Seems like a weak ending to a strong show. Would loved to have seen him develop more in costume and finally fly for a few seasons. Think they should have some new "power" writers on for season 11 and amp things up for the finale. Don't end with season 10.
  5. Apr 28, 2011
    Hell yeah, season 1. Great cast and characterization (and Kristin Kreuk, what more could you want?). I feel like with most shows, the storyline gets too convoluted as the seasons pass. Overall though, I would highly recommend this show.
  6. Jun 16, 2011
    I've been watching Smallville since it premiered in 2001. This is a great show full of action and romance. I can't get enough. I wish it wasn't over :( To be honest though to go back and watch season 1 again it is AMAZING but each episode is a little repetitive so if u decide you want to start watching the series on Netflix just know it gets so much better.
  7. Jun 19, 2013
    Great show Go watch it now u will enjoy every minute of it I liked how they added metallo also other villains
    and I like drama and the romance on it wish it never ended
  8. Nov 4, 2014
    It's not often in a TV show you actually get to watch the character evolve like you do in this TV show. You go through many different emotions with this TV show. You seem him fall in love many times, you see what different things do to his personality and so on. I don't want to go into too much detail as to spoil it but this is definitely a series worth watching and I plan on watching itIt's not often in a TV show you actually get to watch the character evolve like you do in this TV show. You go through many different emotions with this TV show. You seem him fall in love many times, you see what different things do to his personality and so on. I don't want to go into too much detail as to spoil it but this is definitely a series worth watching and I plan on watching it over again sometime in the future when I have time. I was quite sad to hear when the season was announced. It also sucks that some main characters leave eventually as some of them made the TV show more interesting. Expand

Like an ice cube to the temple on a hot day, Smallville startles and refreshes the way "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" did in its early years. Though not as cleverly written as "Buffy," the new series about Clark Kent, tormented teenager, has much going for it: beautiful people from The WB's Burbank assembly line, movie-style special effects, a subtle sense of humor. [15 Oct 2001, p.D1]
  2. Reviewed by: Barry Garron
    Aug 6, 2013
    Purists might balk, but for the rest of us, the latest retelling of the Superman tale is a brilliant blend of tradition and contemporary sensibility. Not only is it a Superman for a new generation, it's a Superman for every generation. [15 Oct 2001]
  3. Reviewed by: Scott D. Pierce
    Aug 6, 2013
    The first hour of Smallville looks fabulous. Now it's up to the producers and writers to tell good stories and mount the show as handsomely as the pilot and maintain a bit of mystery around one of the world's most recognizable characters. [15 Oct 2001, p.C06]