• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Feb 6, 2012
  • Season #: 1 , 2
7.0

1. Feb 6, 2012
    VERY impressive pilot. Extremely entertaining and full of heart. The drama and pacing is fantastic. Glee will have their ass handed to them by this show; it is far superior.
  2. Apr 5, 2012
    From the incredible performances, to the triumphant first episode, Smash could be the next great thing. Let me tell you this it sure should be. And it should stay for a long time.
  3. Feb 6, 2012
    It was an amazing pilot. I was one of those fans who had been waiting over 6 months to see it - and i wasn't disappointed. It has the perfect mixture of drama, wit and music. It really is superior to Glee.
  4. Mar 4, 2012
    I remember watching a sneak peek at this and thought they were just trying to copy Glee. Then I watched the pilot episode, and I completely fell in love with the show. Katharine McPhee and Megan Hilty are great actors and wonderful singers. Plus, they're backed up by wonderful actors such as Debra Messing and Anjelica Houston.
  5. Apr 18, 2012
    Beautiful beautiful beautiful what can I say every episode is like a really great movie and that's why I love it! It makes glee look like child's play as it gives us a rare look into the back stage world of Broadway we rarely ever see.
  6. Mar 4, 2012
    This show is what glee should be. Smash is fun, interesting, and actually features people that are musically talented. The story is engaging and deserves a standing ovation.
  7. Apr 28, 2012
    Just like a great theatrical musical, Smash is a light drama that delivers great song and dance numbers. All the principal actors have done a good or great job so far. The only negative so far was the Nick Jonas piece.
  8. Jul 27, 2012
    This show introduces a brand new component in tv shows - music and dance. At first I thought its going to be gay. But once I heard Kat's voice I was captured and couldn't miss it. I have watched every single show that deserves to be watched and really this one is like a fresh breeze.I wouldn't miss to put it in the top 30.
  9. May 3, 2012
    I really didn't think I was going to enjoy this show and almost didn't give it a chance, I'm glad I did. With a great cast, good music and a decent story line that keeps one engaged this show has been a pleasant surprise.
  10. May 15, 2012
    Fantastic. The dance numbers are fantastic! The Ballads are a little too "American Idol" for my taste. Anjelica Huston? Magnificent. Debra Messing? Wondrous. Uma Thurman? In a Musical? OMG she's utterly great.
  11. Mar 15, 2013
    If you like musical theater, you will probably love this show. Although there is clearly room for improvement (the Uma Thurman arc, for example), the show feels like theater, even when you know they are cutting corners for plot development. Many of the songs are very good, and one each season has been outstanding. If you were following the show, the first season's "Thousand and One Nights"If you like musical theater, you will probably love this show. Although there is clearly room for improvement (the Uma Thurman arc, for example), the show feels like theater, even when you know they are cutting corners for plot development. Many of the songs are very good, and one each season has been outstanding. If you were following the show, the first season's "Thousand and One Nights" number reflected the show up to that point brilliantly in a clever Bollywood version. Find it on YouTube and watch it.

In the second season, Episode 4, "The Song", contained a wonderful adaptation of Billy Joel's "Everybody Loves You Now", morphing from Joel's version to performances by cast members of the later verses. It fit Jennifer Hudson's character perfectly, and she performed it well.

Rumor has it that Universal is considering bringing a version of "Bombshell" (the show that is the center of Smash) to Broadway.
  12. Feb 7, 2012
    While I didn't expect much from a so-called "musical," I was blown away by the acting and plot of this show. There are no cliches or predictable parts. The music is excellent. I can't find any problems with this show.
  13. Feb 18, 2012
    Pilot definitely impressed. I've been reading NBC shelled out tons of money on this show, and yeah, it was well worth it. I'll be a continuous supporter of the show as long as they keep doing things like having Katherine McPhee impress all in her cover of Adele's "Rumor Has It". Don't get left behind - catch the video here: http://www.nbc.com/smash/video/rumor-has-it/1384854
  14. Feb 29, 2012
    I am not a fan of Glee at all. I have never found it entertaining. And yet, people seem to compare the two simply because they both have music. They need to stop trying to see similarities and just give this show a shot. It's AMAZING! It's so in depth and interesting. The characters are witty and intriguing. I've noticed that people watched the pilot but then stopped there. I think thatI am not a fan of Glee at all. I have never found it entertaining. And yet, people seem to compare the two simply because they both have music. They need to stop trying to see similarities and just give this show a shot. It's AMAZING! It's so in depth and interesting. The characters are witty and intriguing. I've noticed that people watched the pilot but then stopped there. I think that was a mistake. This show is good. It definitely has some growing to do but I'm hooked. I'm just waiting to find out what happens next. Expand
  15. Apr 14, 2012
    This show fluctuates wildly from great to terrible. It started out disappointing, but not tragic, so I kept watching, and was rewarded with plenty of great moments. It seems to me like the producers are always trying to second-guess themselves, to keep it light and cute, but also "real." Why? We already have Glee! What we don't have what is we were pitched: The West Wing withThis show fluctuates wildly from great to terrible. It started out disappointing, but not tragic, so I kept watching, and was rewarded with plenty of great moments. It seems to me like the producers are always trying to second-guess themselves, to keep it light and cute, but also "real." Why? We already have Glee! What we don't have what is we were pitched: The West Wing with songs. If the producers keep hedging their bets, this show will be canceled in the next year. I hope that doesn't happen, because musicals captivate us for a reason, and this show has the makings of something bold and entertaining and great. Expand
  16. May 15, 2012
    I have watched all 15 episodes of the season and was left wanting more. SMASH has the right amount of all that makes a great show. The musical numbers are wonderful with the inclusion of many great original songs, a risk the competition didn't dare take until it had gained its fan club. The acting from the main characters is fantastic. It's nice to see Debra Messing back in a TV platformI have watched all 15 episodes of the season and was left wanting more. SMASH has the right amount of all that makes a great show. The musical numbers are wonderful with the inclusion of many great original songs, a risk the competition didn't dare take until it had gained its fan club. The acting from the main characters is fantastic. It's nice to see Debra Messing back in a TV platform and with the inclusion of Jack Davenport, the show has that scandalous edge that boils throughout the season. A must watch for anyone who loves some great music, scandal and something different from the crime shows on elsewhere no doubt. Expand
  17. Jun 19, 2012
    The smell of the grease paint , the roar of the crowd is alive and well in this NBC musical sudser. Think Glee, post graduation. Although some of the characters, like Elliot, are beyond annoying, the cast is perfectly in tune. Katherine McPhee gets better each week, but still has a lot of room for growth. That being said, she has leading lady written all over her. And do not discountThe smell of the grease paint , the roar of the crowd is alive and well in this NBC musical sudser. Think Glee, post graduation. Although some of the characters, like Elliot, are beyond annoying, the cast is perfectly in tune. Katherine McPhee gets better each week, but still has a lot of room for growth. That being said, she has leading lady written all over her. And do not discount the delightfully wicked (no pun intended -- well maybe) Megan Hilty. She is a more than worthy foil for McPhee's sugar-sweet girl next door. I am looking forward to the new season. Expand
  18. Jul 27, 2012
    I LOVED SMASH!! AND AM EXCITED IT WAS RENEWED FOR A SECOND SEASON :o)

THE MUSIC WAS GREAT, THE PARTS WERE GOOD. THE ONLY THING THAT GOT A LITTLE OLD WAS DEBRA MESSINGS CHARACTER BEING ALL WHINEY ABOUT WORKING WITH MICHAEL JUST BECAUSE SHE SCREWED UP AND ALMOST ENDED HER MARRIAGE. THAT WAS IT. LOVED THE REST OF THE SEASON AND ALL THE CHARACTERS!! CAN'T WAIT TIL SEPT!!
  19. Aug 8, 2012
    Smash is a exhilarating series about the ups and downs of showbiz! I have not been so captivated by such amazing works of art, the singing, dancing and compassion of theater in this tv show get my heart fluttering every time! The actors/actresses are amazing, I am glad that they will be letting go some of the people (that are not my favorites) :P The mix of drama and comedy make this oneSmash is a exhilarating series about the ups and downs of showbiz! I have not been so captivated by such amazing works of art, the singing, dancing and compassion of theater in this tv show get my heart fluttering every time! The actors/actresses are amazing, I am glad that they will be letting go some of the people (that are not my favorites) :P The mix of drama and comedy make this one of my all time favorites and I will be counting down the months to the next season, and season's to come! No other show can top this, Glee and similar's really have nothing on this! Its so refreshing to see something unique and different in TV! I NEVER get bored or have a dull moment because there is always drama in the theater! I am completely in love with this show and everyone in it, I love Karen (Katharine) she really is the perfect Marilyn, and she needs her chance to be the STAR! I'm super impressed and will continue watching through it all!!! Cant wait for the second round, TO BROADWAY! - C.P Expand

1. Reviewed by: Don Aucoin
    Feb 7, 2012
    The show works much better when it gives us a glimpse into its distinctive milieu.
  2. Reviewed by: Joanne Ostrow
    Feb 6, 2012
    The cast, from Katharine McPhee and Megan Hilty to Debra Messing and Angelica Huston, is superb. The subject matter is a carefully blended mix of artistic and accessible.
  3. Reviewed by: Mary McNamara