• Network: TV Tokyo
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 7, 2008
  • Season #: 1 , 2
8.1

1. Jan 15, 2011
    Soul Eater is an example of doing a shonen type show correctly, it ends, has great characters, great music, great animation, and a great story. I can only say positive things about this show, lets start with the animation. The animation is pretty much flawless( a few shortcuts for non important stuff). The artwork is a far stretch from the manga this show is based off ,but (in my opinion) better than the manga's artwork not nearly as many small problems. The voicing is done BEAUTIFULLY (this is referring to the dub) many great voices across the board. The sub on the other hand is not very suited for the American audience the Japanese voices just don't quite nail the characters like the English. The sound and music is very nice spreading it's genre wings from Jpop to rap to rock n roll and the best part... IT WORKS, usually when you diversify music in anime the result is not very good but this somehow pulls it off. The characters are interesting takes on the extremes of human emotions Pride,Perfection,Insanity,Love,Hatred,and Greed. The characters themselves really never go beyond their certain personalities which is sad. Another sad thing is that the ending also jumps back the that old shonen standby, friendship beats anything, something that never showed up in the series before. The story ,objectively speaking, is good not too deep not too shallow (for its audience). Subjectively speaking, its very well done. All in all if your looking for a good story with a surprising ending you will find it in this excellent 51 episode show. Expand
  2. Mar 8, 2013
    The story of Soul Eater was very engaging. I liked the premise that the kids and their partners (their weapons, which have human forms) are trying to make them worthy enough to be a weapon for their principal and leader, Death, while becoming legitimate Grim Reapers themselves. The one thing that made me want to turn it off in some episodes was the annoying Blackstar. He's just like Naruto Uzumaki in that he wants to become the strongest in the world and is just as loud and obnoxious, if not even more so. The key difference is that Naruto is pretty cool when he actually keeps himself under control and is a likeable character. Blackstar on the other hand is selfish and annoying in every single waking moment he's on screen. He always tries to be the center of attention and almost everyone at the school hates him. At least with Naruto, he only acts out because he just wants to have friends; Blackstar only acts out because he's completely self-centered and generally unlikeable.

That being said, the twists and turns in the story kept me wanting to find out more, especially the parts where I'm like "why isn't he/she dead yet?!" Overall, the series is great and I recommend it to any anime fan who hasn't seen it yet.
  3. Jun 27, 2011
    found this anime browsing around through netflix and decided to give it a look. im very glad i did . its a fun land funny anime with some intresting charicters and a pretty solid story . voice acting was well done and i loved the opening song "resonance" . one thing i like about anime is they are not afraid to step outside the box when it comes to uniqe story telling . only minor problem i had with it is that the ending didnt feel very complete although compared to alot of them ive seen its a much much better ending then most .if you like anime its worth a look. Expand
  4. Mar 17, 2014
    Throughout the course of it's 51-episode run "Soul Eater" manages to be a consistently engaging, fun, and unique anime experience. Each of the characters has their own unique personality traits and quirks that separate them from any other anime characters and make them feel more believable as people. The shows plot-lines are also enjoyable and even when episodes deviate from the main plot-threads the writing is still fantastic.

To be honest the anime can be at it's best when episodes take on their own story, because these are the times when the shows insane and goofy sense of humor can really take hold without worries about the more serious threads. To be honest even when it is focusing on the serious this is one of the most funny anime I have ever seen. The humor alone is enough for me to make me recommend it. The show can also be really deep, touching, and emotional at times in a very mature fashion. Action isn't always the best here, and some voice actors just aren't good, but overall this is still an excellent anime that I highly recommend. My overall score for "Soul Eater" is a 9/10- Amazing.
  5. Apr 21, 2014
    I'll be honest, going in I didn't expect much from the series. I saw a fw clips and the art style did put me off a bit. But, after constantly hearing about this show from other anime fans, I thought I might as well try it out.

Boy was I glad I did! The show is fantastic.

While the art style did make me a bit iffy at first, I did quickly notice that it was intentional and added to the
    charm and atmosphere of the show. So, yeah, I now approve of the animation and actually think it suites the anime very well. The writing is great and all the characters are interesting and developed. Even the villains are done well.

The humor is pretty good and had me laughing allot. But then again, it did get a little too silly at times (luckily, not too often.) Voice acting was pretty good, but I do question some of their casting choices as I though the English voice actor for Soul was a little bland and came across a bit disinterested in his delivery. Then again, considering Soul's character, I suppose that can't be helped.

If I have one gripe with this series, it is that it seems a little unfocused at times. Particularly with its protagonists. The show can't seem to decide if it want to focus on them as a team, or as individuals and constantly is jumping from one to the other. I didn't really like this as it felt a bit too chaotic and made it hard to connect with the characters. However, the connection does happen, it just take far longer than it should.

Overall:
    Soul Eater is one of the better animes I've seen recently and is a whole lot of fun to watch. If you are having any doubts about watching this series, then at least give the first 3 episodes a try.

There are no critic reviews yet.