• Network: NBC , TNT
  • Series Premiere Date: Apr 9, 2009
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5
8.2

1. Apr 25, 2013
    I'm astounded at the low number of reviews for Southland. It is one of the very few T.V shows that can leave you sitting stunned at what you have just seen. Maybe Breaking Bad at its best does as well. Episode 9 in particular is truly edge of your seat stuff. The character development and performances are simply outstanding. It is the most gripping show currently in production and deserves at least another season Expand
  2. May 26, 2013
    It's interesting, captivating and it shows humanity and instinct of "I can help them" so is a very good series and I don't know why TNT cancelled the show.
  3. Feb 26, 2013
    Southland, Season 5. This show has (quietly) become one of only two scripted dramas I am excited about watching each week while most of my favorites have been cancelled and the ones that haven't continue there decline into programs I watch out of nostalgia (loyalty?) rather than anticipation. I am amazed that a show with so many main characters I dislike (Adams, Bryant, Sherman) continues to engage. Expand
  4. Jun 1, 2013
    Southland is actually the one and only TV show that I can not go without. I have to watch the episode the same day it is released. Love the precap in the beginning of each episode!
  5. Jun 6, 2013
    Excellent writing and characters make this one of the best shows on TV right now. Don't get too attached to any of the characters though they could be gone at any time.
  6. Feb 14, 2013
    This year's premiere, while fantastic, wasn't quite as gut-wrenching as the last few years' have been. That being said, Southland is still the best cop show on TV. The premiere seems to be setting up a season with heavy character development, but that's not to say that it won't be heavy on action as well (full riot gear in the first episode is a good sign). The writers are pushing our heroes (or anti-heroes?) closer to the edge again, and it's not really a question of if someone will slip, but a question of who and when. Expand
  7. Feb 14, 2013
    It was a different season premiere, it was still entertaining. The thing that I was glad about was how Officer John Cooper was back in classic form. Obviously he was different last season because he was just out of rehab, but still. This is his season 1 style in season 5 taking his boot by the balls.
  8. Apr 3, 2013
    The excellence continues. Mr. Kudlitz gets to show more of his character. He and Cooper are improving with age. Best of all, the grit and reality remain and are not glossed over as some shows effect as seasons progress. The cold openings are as intriguing as ever--just a job well done, all around.
  9. May 22, 2013
    Some one rescue this show, AGAIN! each season has grown denser in story, character and nuances. Non-aligned and non-compromising black, white and grey cop procedural will now be sorely missed as its cable buddies bounce it out in favour of Dallas!.. HBO Sundance or Showtime, get your finger out and rescue this show
    from executive's heads buried in the Californian desert sand. They rescued
    the show no denying that, but look at what it has become. Expand
  10. Mar 29, 2013
    How this show continues to overlooked for its performances is just beyond me. Several of the cast members deserve Emmy nominations but none more then Regina King, who is fantastic. Season 4 was a little better, but seven episodes into season 5 the show is still exceptional.
  11. Dec 12, 2013
    I thought some of the performances in this series were actually quite good. From what I could gather, they didn't have a huge budget and ratings weren't brilliant but I did watch the whole lot and it kept me way more interested than the Shield for example. Not bad at all but not brilliant.
  12. Jun 2, 2013
    great show, but things fell apart in this season as the show was obviously getting cancelled and the writers just had a ball. this show was one of the most immediately and apparantlly credible experiences on tv. "its all just a circus" was a good quote, and one thats been left with me after this show has ended.

southland is like a "real life version" of cops; however this season was a
    circus that kind of fell in on itself. previous seasons were like being there in the streets of LA as the places darkest streets ran across some of its most fatigued minds.

any season of southland is good. but the rest of them were great and this one is a duty rather than a pleasure.

solid 7. the rest of this series is 8s and 9s.

1. Reviewed by: Jace Lacob
    May 30, 2013
    Southland remains one of the most morally complex and insightful dramas on television today.
  2. Reviewed by: Nancy DeWolf Smith
    Feb 15, 2013
    The cast--including Michael Cudlitz, Ben McKenzie, Shawn Hatosy and Regina King--is perfection. No ensemble of actors on television is more stunning or exciting to watch.
    For the most part, though, what we see and hear is all we’re allowed to know, and it’s enough, just as the accumulation of moments in a fly-on-the-wall documentary are enough to make us feel for the subjects.