• Network: Starz
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 25, 2013
  • Season #: 1 , 3
8.7

1. Jan 27, 2013
    This is a love it or hate it show. It is awesome if you ever saw something like Legend of the Seeker or Xena and wanted a very much R-rated version of it. This is basically a campy, brutal, sexy historic drama. It takes a lot of creative liberty with the source material as well. You're either going to think this show is hilariously awesome and hot or think anyone who likes this show is crazy. For my part, I can't help but smile every time they do the slow-mo/speed-up/slow-mo action sequences with incoherent yelling in the background. Expand
  2. Mar 16, 2013
    I would give this a 10, but due to the fact that Starz really needs to learn their demographic, I give it a 9. This is a guys guy show, tons of violence, cool story line and excellent, innovative filmography... The one drawback is the excessive male nudity. Listen Starz, we get it, it's Roman times where orgies and pretty much everything else goes... but really, guys don't wanna see other guys junk, especially not every episode!! Seriously, learn your demographic and focus on the important 'bits of the show. Expand
  3. Jan 26, 2013
    Excellent show.Excellent show.Excellent show.Excellent show..Excellent show..Excellent show..Excellent show..Excellent show..Excellent show..Excellent show..Excellent show..Excellent show..Excellent show..Excellent show.
  4. Jan 29, 2013
    blah blah blah blah, screw all the critics and their nose turning to how gruesome and bloody this show is, that is exactly what makes it awesome nothing to over think, pure and unadulterated gore and violence riddled with sex and stories of war! Not that the story is bad, not at all, the stories are entertaining and thats what this show is entertainment.
  5. Feb 19, 2013
    Magnificent, i loved the first two seasons and didn't know if it would or could get any better but it did. Better than any movie, because they're restricted to 2 or 3 hours tops, Steven S. DeKnight has done career defining work here. Steven S. DeKnight you are Crassus, surrounding yourself with all this talent/ staff so you cannot lose.
  6. Oct 15, 2013
    A sense of doom hovers over this final chapter in the Starz series. It's clear that it will not end well for Spartacus and his rebellion. It might not be the best season yet, but it is a brutal, bloody, and satisfying conclusion to the series. The villains are more despicable than ever. These Romans constantly believe themselves superior to everyone around and are constantly scheming and stabbing each other in the back. Spartacus and the rest of the rebels are as supportable as ever and it is hard to watch one of these characters fall. The action is bloodier than ever thanks to the much improved special effects and it all takes place on a much larger scale. You're watching huge armies go at it and it is super satisfying.

It is another fantastic season and a great conclusion to the series. If you've ever considered yourself a fan of the shows previous chapters then you'll love this one as well.
  7. Apr 15, 2013
    One word: Amazing.

This season in my opinion, eclipsed all others in all aspects: action, gore and story. War of the Damned manages to keep you wanting more after every episode and this is due to the phenomenal performances by ALL the leads The four rebel generals and our three main antagonists. Liam as Spartacus was absolutely outstanding however the real prize goes to Todd Lasance,
    Simon Merrells and Christian Antidormi who play Caesar, Marcus Crassus and Tiberius respectfully. War of the Damned executes these different personalities so well that we somehow end up rooting for Caesar, hating Tiberius and respecting Marcus Crassus for DeKnight to do this successfully, it truly is testament to how thought out these characters were (considering they were all antagonists). Just like the very first season, we began to share a bond with the rebels, become part of their cause an in turn, grieve for their losses. From the decimation scene to the loss of our loved ones, we as an audience felt every blow on screen, whether it was to the rebels or to the Romans, and felt some sort of heavy emotion (think about how you felt during the final scene in ep 8). We even began to question ourselves as to who was really bad and who was really good, specifically during Sinuessa. All these aspects are what made this season a fitting finale and I just hope to see more of this world that DeKnight has re-imagined. Expand
  8. Apr 10, 2013
    Amazing story, amazing characters, great action, every minute your heart is constantly racing while you hope your favorite characters survive, out of all the shows i have watched on TV, this is by far my favorite.
  9. Apr 27, 2013
    Fans of this hugely entertaining show will love this epic final season, which closes the chapter on Spartacus' journey from Thrace to Batiatus' ludus to hero of the slave rebellion.

The final season sees Spartacus as de facto leader, supported by the gladiator heroes of the previous seasons, Crixus, Gannicus and Agron. The leaders routinely clash of the rebellion's direction and
    objectives, Crixus in particular driven by uncompromising vengeance on the republic, dreaming of smashing an army through the gates of Rome, while Spartacus has grown more responsible, dreaming of a free life for his followers if not for himself. Seeing the two spar reminds of seasons of old. Gannicus also mellows, and finally finds a cause to fight for other than the traditional spoils of victory, wine and women.

Following the precedent of previous seasons, War of the Damned is loaded with copious amounts of blood, sex and scenery chewing speeches, perhaps even more than before. The montage at the beginning of the first episode beats 300 for blood spilt and sprayed across the screen. The scheming and trickery of Lucretia and Illythia from past seasons is replaced by that of Caesar and Tiberius, fighting for the lead role under Crassus. I originally disliked the casting of Caesar, but after time newcomer Todd Lasance won me over with his ambitious, scheming, hot headed take on the famous leader.

For a show that many dismissed as trashy and gratuitous, Spartacus is surprisingly accurate (for a TV show) with respect to its historical basis. Spartacus' rebellion was squashed by Crassus, he was betrayed by Sicilian pirates, the names of Oenamaus, Gannicus and Crixus were among the rebellion leaders and those captured were crucified along the Appian Way into Rome.

The final episodes build up to the inevitable ending, firstly dedicating suitable time to Crixus, before a fantastic finale worthy of the show's epic nature, culminating in some emotional final scenes. The closing credits returned many of the fallen character over the four seasons and as a touching gesture were book ended with both Liam McIntyre's and Andy Whitfield's Spartacus. Gratitude.

Overall, a fantastic show featuring a cast of largely unknown bunch of Aussies and New Zealanders that only got better and one that will be sorely missed.
  10. Apr 30, 2013
    For a series with some very poor first episodes, the third and last reason is so epic that it is perhaps one of the most astonishing thing we have seen on TV lately. Even Game of Thrones might be a bit under, in term of emotions. And if you're a guy, prepare yourself to cry, really....
  11. Apr 13, 2013
    What makes this show great is not the violence and nudity, but the show's heart and soul. I think that more people should discover this show and start watching it because it is just phenomenal.
  12. Apr 17, 2013
    Yes the season dragged a bit, and there was a sense of impending doom throughout, but this season was a thoroughly satisfying conclusion to a remarkable and hugely under-appreciated show.

The finale in particular was one of the finest ends I've seen. Although finales for the likes of say, Battlestar Gallactica and The Sopranos left a little to be desired, Spartacus delivered in spades.
    It's honestly the first time I've left a show happy with the way it ended.

A fantastic programme that deserves better than the likely cult fandom it will experience on DVD...

13. Apr 25, 2013
    I would give it a TEN but since the series changed so many things from the real historic events i would also like to have it as a fairy tale where Spartacus wins and we have a happy ending. I read a lot about unnecessary sex and violence... well it is ancient times guys come on... oh what was that? you like the gore but not the sex scenes? You like blood and guts but not the guys on your screen? Then, maybe you have issues and must go to a psychologist to check it out... Anyways... The show is a Masterpiece it's fast when it has to be it's emotional whenever it needs to be so, it is Gory as HELL and honest to the people watching it. Nice show and it is sad that it has come to end. Expand
  14. Aug 10, 2013
    Spartacus War of the Damned defines the word epic. If you're into historical shows or swords and shield epics this is the show for you. If you like drama there is plenty of that, If you like violence, blood and nudity there is also plenty of that. Each episode is like watching a mini movie. There is always something going on, the story is really compelling and the drama keeps you interested to see what will happen next. If you liked the movie 300 in many ways this is shot in the same way. The characters really draw you into their world and you will feel yourself really caring about some of them and hating others.

If you've watched the previous Spartacus series, Blood and sand, vengeance and their prequel gods of the area and liked them you will love this. If not watch them first because you really need to.
  15. Jan 13, 2014
    the series finale went out on a high note!! this season was filled with tons of action and plot twist that left me stunned! the ending was extremely sad and left me feeling depressed afterwards. overall it was a fantastic way to end the series with all the pieces in place that made the other seasons so good! long live Spartacus!

1. Reviewed by: Aaron Riccio
    Feb 5, 2013
    As the tactics of these two characters [Marcus Crassus and Spartacus] grow all but indistinguishable, it becomes clear why this final season is labeled War of the Damned, and all but guarantees that while their fighting will lead to a bitter end, it will lead viewers to the most savory of conclusions.
  2. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Jan 25, 2013
    You think you know how this story will end, but trust DeKnight and his company of players to surprise us to the last bloody moment.
  3. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Jan 25, 2013
    Spartacus worked best when it was an ancient "Upstairs Downstairs" with the house of Battiatus as the "upstairs" component and the gladiator school as the "downstairs." With that element gone, the show has no natural home base and feels a bit unmoored.