Star-Crossed : Season 1

• Network: The CW
  • Series Premiere Date: Feb 17, 2014
7.6

1. Feb 25, 2014
    My review after two episodes: Its not bad and its not good either. I feels like the writers decided to throw "Twilight" (''We cant be together, I am a monster'' blabla) together with the 1960s athmosphere of segregation (Martin Luther Kings approach to equality vs Black Power approach vs whites only) and to make the story ''fresh'' (we are all a bit tired of Vampires, arent we?), theyMy review after two episodes: Its not bad and its not good either. I feels like the writers decided to throw "Twilight" (''We cant be together, I am a monster'' blabla) together with the 1960s athmosphere of segregation (Martin Luther Kings approach to equality vs Black Power approach vs whites only) and to make the story ''fresh'' (we are all a bit tired of Vampires, arent we?), they replaced the Vamps with Aliens. As simple as it sounds, it could be the base for a good show. Yet, the writers decided not to do anything further with it but build a cheesy and obvious love story on top of it. (Sometimes I really wonder where they get those writers from) What makes the Aliens so different from humans? At the moment all that is 'different' are Tattoos on their faces. They are all white and all attractive and are all fullfilling the stereotype of a typical westener. The fact that the little boy knew how to use a fork just fell right into the assumption that the alien race must have a western-like culture. There is lots of talk of "two worlds" and 'culture clashing', yet all they portray is one world, one culture. No explanation of why the two cultures are different and why they clash, and most importantly it is not explained why all the characters blindly hate on each other. Yet, the storyline has a fast pace and a couple of good twists, which distracts you from the lack of background information that would have given the show a lot more depth. Expand
  2. Mar 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I gave it the ol' college try. It failed miserably. The plot is thin or more like broken. Writing is poor. Directing is horrible. I can't blame the actors for their poor performances because it's up to the directors to lead the way. Emery found out about the Red Hawk's identities but hasn't told anyone? She's basically harboring "terrorists"/extremists in plain sight. She hasn't notified the police. I thought she would at least mention it to Roman since she's a big Atrian supporter. And yet, she starts dating the Grayson, the son of Red Hawk extremists?? Well, that makes no sense to me. What is this show really about anyway? Affirmative action, bullying, terrorism, stereotypes, racial discrimination? Take your pick. It's clear to me that the writers are unclear about any focal points. They're trying way too hard to address real life issues and a failed attempt to disguise all of these issues in the show. "Tatties" is the new word for minorities? It's sad that the show is portraying people with tattoos as minorities. The bullying is a little much. Constant "racial" slurs makes the show feel low budget, like they they couldn't afford better writers. If they're going to set a show in high school then they need to research things like "slang" or figures of speech. I keep wondering what's the deal between Emery and Roman. They give each other this awkward looks like a dozen times in each episode. It's starting to annoy me. Are they friends or not? They need to make up their minds. Oh wait, they can't be friends because Emery is getting her freak on with the Red Hawk up-and-comer. I have no idea where this show is going but at this rate, there won't be a next season.
    I can pick apart this show piece by piece but there are just way too many flaws.
  3. Mar 29, 2014
    With the basic idea and its sci fi element could have been so much more. However, the dialogue is quite poor. Characters and relationships with each other are not profoundly explored.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Roush
    Feb 24, 2014
    Star-Crossed lacks humor, suspense or even heat.
  2. Reviewed by: Lily Moayeri
    Feb 20, 2014
    Star-Crossed is a by-the-numbers, odds-against, inter-species, teenage love story.
  3. Reviewed by: Rob Owen
    Feb 18, 2014
    With a premise that's at least 20 years past its "fresh until" date, the issues in Star-Crossed get handled with mostly predictable, rote exploration to the point that one has to wonder, does this show matter? Probably not.