Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
8.3

1. Oct 18, 2012
    "Shakespeare in space" is the phrase that comes to mind when I think of how to describe this series. To this day this is my favourite TV series of all time. It was based on the universe created by Gene Roddenberry in the original great Star Trek series, but it went on to expand that universe and its optimistic vision for the future of man, err... humankind (the speech at the beginning"Shakespeare in space" is the phrase that comes to mind when I think of how to describe this series. To this day this is my favourite TV series of all time. It was based on the universe created by Gene Roddenberry in the original great Star Trek series, but it went on to expand that universe and its optimistic vision for the future of man, err... humankind (the speech at the beginning changed 'man' to 'one' to be more politically correct so I have to due the same ha ha..). The first season was a little shaky when the cast did not fully know their characters or the direction the show would head yet, and there were a few corny episodes spread over the seasons, but there were many, many high-quality episodes that were Hollywood movie quality. I liked this series best since it had really good character development of the regular crew and it was also thicker with subplots than the later watered-down spin off series. The show kept up with the times by having topics based on the latest theoretical science theories. This show was also more overtly intellectual than the original series which was mostly battles and fist fights. Of course TNG does have its share of battles and fist fights, but it is more about using wits and diplomacy to solve problems rather than brute force. Once the main characters knew their characters well the acting was really good too. Overall a great series and with the exception of The X-Files and the 2003 remake of Battlestar Galactica there has not been a Sci Fi series to match its quality since, including the Star Trek TNG spin-offs. Definitely a 10/10. Expand
  2. Sep 9, 2011
    One of my favorite shows of all time which featured some of the best episodes ever broadcast. My favorites were the philosophical arguments played out as sci-fi melodrama. Favorite season were 2-5 which was the sweet spot between when the show found it's legs and when it went soft. Favorite episode, "Inner Light." If the writing, editing and acting in that one don't impress you, you'reOne of my favorite shows of all time which featured some of the best episodes ever broadcast. My favorites were the philosophical arguments played out as sci-fi melodrama. Favorite season were 2-5 which was the sweet spot between when the show found it's legs and when it went soft. Favorite episode, "Inner Light." If the writing, editing and acting in that one don't impress you, you're not a true geek. Lot's off hot actresses got their big break in episode one offs, including Teri Hatcher and Famke Jansen. Great catalog for your collection. Expand
  3. Dec 11, 2013
    Season 1 TNG is a lot of ups and downs, and it's obvious that they didn't really know where they were going with a lot of the characters this early on. That's fine, sci-fi shows always have a rocky first season basically. As first seasons go, this one has some very solid episodes and some really bad ones. You get introduced to a bright and shining future world where things might be betterSeason 1 TNG is a lot of ups and downs, and it's obvious that they didn't really know where they were going with a lot of the characters this early on. That's fine, sci-fi shows always have a rocky first season basically. As first seasons go, this one has some very solid episodes and some really bad ones. You get introduced to a bright and shining future world where things might be better than they are today. I think it's kinda nice to go back and have that from time to time, because a lot of sci-fi since Star Trek has turned towards being more and more dark and dystopian. Expand
  4. Jan 17, 2013
    Possible the best scifi show of all times. The theme of all seasons is moral. An intellectual discussion about how an Utopian society meets, treats and handles space exploration in a very populated universe. At times a bit pretentious but its hardly a fault that changes its review score.

The show should not be judged on its first season because its awkward and the actors are all finding their place. It also feels very dated visually in the first season. After that it just gets better and better.
  5. Sep 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can see why many critics who wrote their reviews after only seeing the first episode did not like the show. The first episode was pretty boring, the series did have its moments however.

Most of the part 1, part 2 episodes were very interesting, and had story arc implications that affected the entire series. Like the Original Series however, most of the show failed to establish an overall story arc, the ideas and happening of all of the 45min episodes were never readdressed (except for maybe one or two), and they were all totally unrelated to each other.

The main problem I have with this show is that it started the nonsensical practice of recycling the plots of old episodes. Every single Star Trek series to date has had at least one episode where the crew gets their bodies hijacked by aliens; TNG did not only have one of these episodes, I think it had at least four! TNG also recycled a few time travel plots here and there, but overall the series was good.
  6. Jun 28, 2014
    All the critics reviews are bogus to the nth degree. The characters are great, the graphics were great, and the story is amazing. If you love great movies watch this.

1. Reviewed by: Marvin Kitman
    Jul 12, 2013
    I like the old "Star Trek" better than the new. I also think the new show is somewhat boring and derivative. ... The new "Star Trek" tries to make the characters "realistic," and they turn out to be unbreakably plastic. [3 Jun 1988]
  2. Reviewed by: Clifford Terry
    Jun 25, 2013
    Trekkies, beware. ... Nothing, but nothing, could match the 1966-69 original, right? Those of us who have been less diligent in our viewing habits, though, may see the spinoff as energetically entertaining sci-fi stuff, an alternately spirited and silly piece. [30 Sep 1987]
  3. Reviewed by: Howard Rosenberg
    Jun 25, 2013
    The new cast is fine (Stewart is a very interesting actor) and the story, although not very deep, inspired or mind-melding, has a nice payoff. But getting there takes much too long. ... Although handsome, this is a slow, thudding two hours badly in need of energizing.