Star Trek: The Next Generation : Season 1

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
8.3

1. Dec 11, 2013
    Season 1 TNG is a lot of ups and downs, and it's obvious that they didn't really know where they were going with a lot of the characters this early on. That's fine, sci-fi shows always have a rocky first season basically. As first seasons go, this one has some very solid episodes and some really bad ones. You get introduced to a bright and shining future world where things might be betterSeason 1 TNG is a lot of ups and downs, and it's obvious that they didn't really know where they were going with a lot of the characters this early on. That's fine, sci-fi shows always have a rocky first season basically. As first seasons go, this one has some very solid episodes and some really bad ones. You get introduced to a bright and shining future world where things might be better than they are today. I think it's kinda nice to go back and have that from time to time, because a lot of sci-fi since Star Trek has turned towards being more and more dark and dystopian. Expand
  2. Sep 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I can see why many critics who wrote their reviews after only seeing the first episode did not like the show. The first episode was pretty boring, the series did have its moments however.

Most of the part 1, part 2 episodes were very interesting, and had story arc implications that affected the entire series. Like the Original Series however, most of the show failed to establish an overall story arc, the ideas and happening of all of the 45min episodes were never readdressed (except for maybe one or two), and they were all totally unrelated to each other.

The main problem I have with this show is that it started the nonsensical practice of recycling the plots of old episodes. Every single Star Trek series to date has had at least one episode where the crew gets their bodies hijacked by aliens; TNG did not only have one of these episodes, I think it had at least four! TNG also recycled a few time travel plots here and there, but overall the series was good.

1. Newsday
    Reviewed by: Marvin Kitman
    Jul 12, 2013
    I like the old "Star Trek" better than the new. I also think the new show is somewhat boring and derivative. ... The new "Star Trek" tries to make the characters "realistic," and they turn out to be unbreakably plastic. [3 Jun 1988]
  2. Chicago Tribune
    Reviewed by: Clifford Terry
    Jun 25, 2013
    Trekkies, beware. ... Nothing, but nothing, could match the 1966-69 original, right? Those of us who have been less diligent in our viewing habits, though, may see the spinoff as energetically entertaining sci-fi stuff, an alternately spirited and silly piece. [30 Sep 1987]
  3. Reviewed by: Howard Rosenberg
    Jun 25, 2013
    The new cast is fine (Stewart is a very interesting actor) and the story, although not very deep, inspired or mind-melding, has a nice payoff. But getting there takes much too long. ... Although handsome, this is a slow, thudding two hours badly in need of energizing.