Star Wars: The Clone Wars : Season 5

Season #: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
8.8

1. Mar 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. When Star Wars the Clone Wars Season 1 debuted on Cartoon Network, I was really happy with it. It quickly turned into one of my favorite TV shows of all time. When Season 2 came out, I felt it was even better. Then Season 3 came out which, while I still liked, I did not like quite as much. Season 4 later came out, and I enjoyed it a little more. However, then Season 5 came out, and effectively ruined everything. This season has received the lowest score I have ever given for a season of this show. Why is this you ask? Well, I have several reasons for it. First of all, I am a huge Star Wars fan, and have loved the series for a very long time. All I can say about this show's title, is that for a show called "The Clone Wars", it doesn't seem to focus nearly as much on the clones or the wars as it should. As a matter of fact, there were almost no clones this season whatsoever. The only time you ever really see the clones is in the last three episodes of the season. However, there is no war going on in those episodes, and it is really just chasing someone down. So is the show just going to be called "Star Wars the Clones"? Well this can't be, because earlier on in the season there was a war on one planet at least, spanning four episodes. However, there was only one clone in it, and he was only in it for the first episode. Along with this, there were also a few episodes that took place on Mandalore that was kind of a war, but there were no clones whatsoever. Really, this show should have been called "Star Wars the Wars" right? Wrong! Despite having several episodes with battles in it, there are many more completely sucky episodes that have nothing to do with the large scale battles people want to see from the Clone Wars. In case you are wondering what they do focus on, they focus on droids, hunting a fugitive, and worst of all, Jedi children! In case you are wondering how many episodes of this they have this season, I've counted twelve episodes. That's more than half the freaking season! To tell you the truth, the droid episodes were actually okay. I liked these episodes, but at the same time, they were taking the focus away from where the Clone Wars mattered the most, which is the whole point of why I'm deducting the score of this season. As for the Jedi children, all I can say is that I almost barfed after watching just one of those episodes. Before this, Clone Wars was gradually becoming a darker and darker show. Then out of nowhere, these four episodes came out, and all of a sudden it became kid friendly like the first season was. These four completely broke from how the show was getting darker, and are overall my least favorite episodes of the show ever! As for hunting the fugitive, all I can say is, people who have been reading up on the Star Wars wiki for a long time are going to be very upset with these last four episodes of the season, particularly the very last episode. In case all of you are wondering why, this last episode of the season (SPOILER ALERT! Read at your own risk) breaks from the entire Star Wars saga's official canon! Basically these four episodes involve a crime that Ahsoka Tano, one of the series' main characters, supposedly committed, when she is really innocent. It turns out that another Jedi named Barriss Offee actually committed the crime. Why does this break from official canon? Well according to the official Star Wars wiki, Barriss died during Order 66 (all you huge Star Wars fans will know what I'm talking about), on the planet Felucia. There is even a comic book that proves she did, and they have a picture of that comic on the wiki. While this actually takes place before Order 66, this most likely does break from official canon because the crime she committed was pretty major. It was probably major enough to make her spend the rest of the war in a jail cell. How could she have died on Felucia, if she was spending the rest of the war in a jail cell? (SPOILERS END HERE). Okay, so there are a few good things about this season. It still has all of the great animation and storytelling of the previous seasons. Along with this, it is voice-acted very well. However, all of these negative parts about the fifth season just make the good parts seem wasted. All I can really say is that if you have kids, or you know next to nothing about Star Wars, you might be able to tolerate these season's flaws. Otherwise, just stay away from this lackluster season, and watch the original Star Wars Clone Wars animated series (the anime style one). This series seems much more canonical, and focuses where this series should have; on the battles, and the clones. Expand
  2. Jan 12, 2016
    Season 5 isn't the best one simply because, despite there being some amazing arcs, a couple are examples of either wasted potential or slightly below bar writing. Also, the Revival episode at the beginning of the series shouldn't only be one episode, because it could be even more amazing if it was spanned across two or three episodes. However, I did mention there are some amazing arcs, andSeason 5 isn't the best one simply because, despite there being some amazing arcs, a couple are examples of either wasted potential or slightly below bar writing. Also, the Revival episode at the beginning of the series shouldn't only be one episode, because it could be even more amazing if it was spanned across two or three episodes. However, I did mention there are some amazing arcs, and there really, really are some amazing arcs. The Death Watch being one example, but the final story arc is the best the series ever saw -- even better than General Krell and Darth Maul/Savage Oppress (of Season 4). About Ashoka Tano's battle with the Jedi order and, well, I won't say anything more. In short, the story arc brings together everything that is so good about The Clone Wars. It's action-packed, with an exciting story and a whole lot of emotion. Even though that arc is incredible, and perfect in every way; the rest of the series doesn't come too close, other than a few episodes such as Revival. Overall, though, it's a fantastic series, with a fitting finale and ending for the series; which made me emotional and angry - angry about the series being ended.

90/100.
  3. Dec 8, 2015
    ’The Clone Wars’ is a show that continues to prove that it’s not what it was ones was. Dialogs, story and basic writing details haven't stopped improving and are finally acceptable from a critical point of view. The story can swift from somewhat entertaining, to a very nuanced and overall surprisingly good episode. Some of them are so different in characteristic depth, and many of the’The Clone Wars’ is a show that continues to prove that it’s not what it was ones was. Dialogs, story and basic writing details haven't stopped improving and are finally acceptable from a critical point of view. The story can swift from somewhat entertaining, to a very nuanced and overall surprisingly good episode. Some of them are so different in characteristic depth, and many of the episodes are full of human traces like deception, lies, etc. The wonderfulness of the cinematography continues in this fifth installment, and it really is something extra! Our different characters are still lacking a greater animation and a more true realism to their eyes, because it’s sometimes hard to feel that they are live. But understanding is still possible to some of the characters, especially in the season finale where some heartbreaking moments do exist. This fifth season is everything I imagined ’The Clone Wars’ to be like; filled with flawless dialogs, awesome action sequences and wonderful & badass villains as heroes. Sure; plot holes are still a present aspect, including some less entertaining episodes, lack of character depth and sometimes very rushed stories.

This show have always had many critical downsides; especially the horrible dialogs. This fifth season surpassed my expectations and if you haven't seen this show yet, well you should (even though the good stuff isn't happening until this critically ”okay” fifth season)!

My overall personal rating for each episode is 7.14.
    (+ 0.11 Since S04)

Personal rating: 7/10
    Critical rating: 7/10
  4. Nov 26, 2015
    Esta temporada trae muchos sucesos interesantes, pero deja deseando que fueran mas... Orgánicos por así decirlo. Los sucesos son interesantes desde casi toda perspectiva, pero no los hacen moverse de una forma, mejor la forma en la que se esperaría. Los personajes no responden con grandes impresiones a acontecimientos fuertes, y aveces no ponen atención a algo que deseas que exploren. PeroEsta temporada trae muchos sucesos interesantes, pero deja deseando que fueran mas... Orgánicos por así decirlo. Los sucesos son interesantes desde casi toda perspectiva, pero no los hacen moverse de una forma, mejor la forma en la que se esperaría. Los personajes no responden con grandes impresiones a acontecimientos fuertes, y aveces no ponen atención a algo que deseas que exploren. Pero aun así, no puedo negar que me gusto. 08/10 Expand
  5. Jan 11, 2015
    I'll be the first to admit this season has had an...um...rocky start, to say the least. The first two arcs (one about rebels and one about droids) are not worth your time. One of them in particular is terrible and boring. The rest of the season is amazing though. The Maul arc is spectacular, the Ahsoka arc is emotionally gripping, and the Youngling arc is engaging.

There are no critic reviews yet.