8.7

1. Nov 21, 2014
    The score reflect the entire series not just individual season.

One of the best sf shows ever. Starts a bit slow for like first 2 seasons then gets much better. Amazing story, interesting characters, has some comedy mixed in. If you haven't seen it go watch it.
  2. Oct 28, 2014
    A truly groundbreaking sci-fi show that's both stunning, and entertaining to watch.

This might be one of the best sci-fi series I have seen, because the story of the episodes are so incredible, and combined with an awesome cast and a great amount of action, is this first season of Stargate SG-1 breathtaking. There are some episodes that might be a little boring for my taste, but in the end are they all awesome to watch! The music is another aspect that I totally love about Stargate SG-1, so touching!

The average score for each episode is: 7.91
    Stargate SG-1: Season 1 get a 8/10
  3. Jun 26, 2014
    Best sci-fi show there ever was or ever will be. Not really explainable, you have to watch it yourself. No noticeable quality dips throughout its 10 seasons. It's got plenty of action (terrible accuracy of course) and humor.
  4. Sep 14, 2013
    have to say I avoided this show when it was broadcast because I thought the movie was dumb and low-brow. In the last couple of years thogh ive watched all 10 seasons a few times and have to say this is one of my staple sci fi shows. The premise is a little silly this is one of the reasons I thought the movie was dumb) but the development and exploration of the stargate world through thehave to say I avoided this show when it was broadcast because I thought the movie was dumb and low-brow. In the last couple of years thogh ive watched all 10 seasons a few times and have to say this is one of my staple sci fi shows. The premise is a little silly this is one of the reasons I thought the movie was dumb) but the development and exploration of the stargate world through the 10 seasons is really terrrific and alot of fun. There are still episodes I dont like and skip but all in all this is one of my desert-island tv shows for sure. Expand
  5. Jul 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Decent acting, and passable serial and larger story arc development, but horrible character/personality development. How is it that Lori Grimes (a la 'Walking Dead') has attracted more of a hate following than Daniel Jackson? I really liked his character in the movie (played by James Spader), but in the TV series he continually puts the team at risk (episode where they rescue Catherine's fiancee Earnest), is selfish to the point of pathology (e.g., willing to sacrifice Sam to save Sha're-S2:E2), has little moral integrity (willing to let a woman be raped in The Broca Divide is not anthropological sensitivity), has more symptoms of ADHD than is believable in someone who has supposedly risen to the top of his academic field (Tin Man episode), and is often absolutely clueless/naive as to how an anthropologist should actually behave. If he were a member of my team, I would have fired him after one of the first episodes. I'm sure there were better ways of writing the character so that he was more believable.

The rest of the team are alright. They have some annoying moments and often fail to ask even the most basic questions, and they tend to escalate situations needlessly, e.g., O'Neill being combative with Senator Kinsey in 'Politics' initially listening to the Senator, I was inclined to agree with the Kinsey, instead O'Neill got defensive and as a result almost allowed Earth to be attacked because he failed to convince the Senator. Couple this with some major tactical blunders in many of the episodes (Daniel regularly shouting when stealth would be more appropriate or Sam and Daniel walking down a road IN THE OPEN in the return to Chulak episode after taking a Goa'uld larva are just two examples) and it's amazing the team is still alive. You can write a compelling story without resorting to having the characters do stupid things to precipitate an adventure. And don't even get me started on Maj. Gen Hammond...maybe I can just chalk their deficiencies to being in the 'chAir Force'...given all of this, I'm inclined to agree with Senator Kinsey when he angrily retorts to the General, "Well, your best just isn't good enough!!" The team does have some saving graces, Teal'q is consistently an entertaining and intelligent enough character to watch, O'Neill's moments of stubbornness and loyalty to his team are endearing, as is Sam's compassion and her capacity to usually think straight.

I like good science fiction...a lot. This show had the potential to be fantastic. Like I said, I loved the movie, but the characters in the TV show suffered from poor development, making watching them very aggravating when they engaged in unrealistically irrational behavior.
  6. Feb 10, 2013
    Unlike most of the reviewers here, I must be the only one to have actually watched other sci-fi shows. The acting on Stargate was embarrassing, the writing mediocre to poor, and the stories repetitive and simpleminded. Not to mention the silly costumes and "special" effects. Anyone who feels this is the "best" sci-fi series out there needs an injection of taste or to seriously broadenUnlike most of the reviewers here, I must be the only one to have actually watched other sci-fi shows. The acting on Stargate was embarrassing, the writing mediocre to poor, and the stories repetitive and simpleminded. Not to mention the silly costumes and "special" effects. Anyone who feels this is the "best" sci-fi series out there needs an injection of taste or to seriously broaden their horizons. The humor of the show is to be laughed at, not with. The original Battlestar Galactica from the 1970's is better than this joke of a series, but it seems only "fans" choose to comment. Snap out of it. Collapse
  7. Nov 22, 2012
    An amazing sci-fi show, which despite incredibly low production cost and small (but fantastic) cast managed to create an illusion of a vast, populated universe complete with politics, diplomacy, large scale wars and genuine geek humour. The concept of space travel without ships finally freed some space from the neverending "shields depleted", "activate the weapons", "hyperwarp jump mark 2"An amazing sci-fi show, which despite incredibly low production cost and small (but fantastic) cast managed to create an illusion of a vast, populated universe complete with politics, diplomacy, large scale wars and genuine geek humour. The concept of space travel without ships finally freed some space from the neverending "shields depleted", "activate the weapons", "hyperwarp jump mark 2" clichés, and when spaceship combat does play part, it feels exclusive, serious, dangerous, mysterious - some of which is lost in other shows. It is a must for sci-fans all over the globe. Expand
  8. Aug 10, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Hoo-boy am I not gonna be liked here.
    What can I say about stargate's first foreay into TV? It's ambitious, very ambitious.
    The series continues on from the movie - thats something for a whole other review - and it retcons some major stuff from it, stuff that I actually think is a hell of a lot better than what Roland Emmerich had done and some I hate to this day.
    The entire cast has been changed, I mean we're not gonna get Kurt Russel and James Spader to take up roles in ta tv show that started before movie stars pulled the stick out of their asses.
    We have the brilliant Michael Shanks taking on the role of Daniel Jackson and freaking Macguyver himself Richard Dean Anderson as Jack O'neal. New cast members are the brilliant Don S. Davis as General George Hammond, the excellent Chris Judge as the alien Teal'c and the wonderfully sexy Amanda Tapping as Captain Sam Carter, the cast is outstanding and lovable in each episode they're in(and remember this was in the age of Treks twilight where no one expected much out of sci-fi). So why have I given it a 7 instead of a full ten, well its partially what I call 'first season syndrome' where writers are trying to flesh characters out and theres some episode that don't go anywhere(Emancipation, First Commandment and Cold Lazarus come to mind) which I can forgive with some stand-out performances in other episodes like The Nox, Enigma, The Torment of Tantalus and I personally loved Fire and Water.
    All in all the first season of SG-1 is round about a decent sci-fi show with some interesting takes on mytho-historical accounts in our history.
    I'm ashamed to say that while its uphill for a while (couple of seasons), it goes downhill quickly.
  9. Jul 29, 2012
    The best Sci-Fi show ever.
    It's a shame they ended it, and even more shame was Stargate Destiny, it did not have anything to do with the original show.
    I hope something as good as Stargate shows up soon.
  10. Jan 5, 2012
    Really the best scifi show ever! Great character, great synergy between them, great plot and lot of plausible scientific background make it a very entertaining show!
  11. Nov 23, 2011
    Funny, intense, well written, and a consistent joy throughout, the universe this series creates is both incredible and entirely possible, and the premise of a gate that can take you to other worlds is a brilliant basis for a sci-fi series, coupled with some truly heart-shattering good-bye scenes, this series is one to remember. Season 9 is easily the worst of a great bunch, but in Season 8Funny, intense, well written, and a consistent joy throughout, the universe this series creates is both incredible and entirely possible, and the premise of a gate that can take you to other worlds is a brilliant basis for a sci-fi series, coupled with some truly heart-shattering good-bye scenes, this series is one to remember. Season 9 is easily the worst of a great bunch, but in Season 8 they killed off just about every major enemy, so given the understandable burden S9 had introducing the new guys, it's completely forgivable. Easily the best current sci-fi series and a believable challenger to Star Trek's (completely undeserved) throne Expand
  12. Oct 12, 2011
    This was one show I loved, and I will miss it always. The show was fun, it had good action, and most of the time I loved the story. I wish it had not ended but all good things come to an end. I still have the DVDs' to watch.
  13. Jun 17, 2011
    One of my favorite shows. I grew up with this and I've always liked it. The idea, traveling to other galaxies is so fascinating and Stargate: SG-1 really exceeded in that premise. Great cast, great seasons and well done series history/research.
  14. Mar 9, 2011
    This is one of the few shows that achieve the perfect balance between being humourous and serious. It knows when to bring on the laughs and when to bring on the suspense. It knows when to break the tension and when to elevate it. It has relatable characters that are flawed despite the amazing situations they find themselves in.
    What i find most amazing is how there is so little romance in
    What i find most amazing is how there is so little romance in the show, it's not totally missing, but it isn't overhyped.
    Perhaps it is the ability to balance every aspect that allows it to become the longest running sci-fi show (until Smallville ends its run and overtake SG1)

1. Reviewed by: David Bianculli
    Jun 10, 2014
    The TV pilot, like the theatrical film, is long on hardware and gunplay and short on logic. [24 Jul 1997]
  2. Reviewed by: Steve Parks
    Jun 10, 2014
    Despite the predictable conclusion, "Stargate SG-1," leaves many character threads dangling tantalizingly. If you aren't careful, this series could definitely hook you. [27 Jul 1997]
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Bianco
    Jun 10, 2014
    "SG-1" is a passable action series on a par with most syndicated sci-fi fare. Its only real distinguishing feature is [a] ludicrous, completely gratuitous nude scene. [26 Jul 1997]