• Network: Syfy
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 2, 2009
Season #: 1, 2
5.9

1. Dec 3, 2010
    The current score is really unfair for a show that's growing very well and has become very good indeed.
    I do agree that it started a little boring, and too much of a soap opera. The 'Chloe' character was really boring at start, to be honest (but that has somewhat changed - thanks to the writing).
    But the 'other side' of this show, the difficulty of their situation, the non-English speaking aliens, the bad temper of the team under the circumstances... is just much more realistic than SG-1 or SG atlantis ever was. And don't let me start on the acting: while this has some not so good actors, it does not compare to the first seasons of SG-1 or with SG Atlantis (the actors that performed Teyla Emmagan and Ronon Dex were just lousy).

There's no doubt that the series copied concepts from BSG, and therefore it doesn't deserve a 10.
    But season 2 is really, really good. There is action, there is suspense, there is science fiction (just as much, if not more, than in SG-1 - and definitely more realistic). I am currently watching SG-1 again, and it is incredible how naive it all is.

Real life is not perfect, and this show entertains because it presents believable characters in unthinkable situations.
  2. Daniell
    Oct 8, 2009
    Very promising series ! Very good start ! Just hope they'll not drop to lousy scenarios and bizarre creatures with lousy costumes. If they focus more on the characters, keep the suspense, write intriguing stories it could turn out to be a very good show.
  3. JanetG.
    Oct 6, 2009
    This show is GREAT! Edge of my seat watching. Loved the old SG1 and SGA, but the show has to progress. Eli, Young and Rush are awesome, taking an established fanbase on another arc.
  4. RobbieC
    Nov 1, 2009
    It is a new direction, slower in pace but still exciting in a different way. It is far more stimulating mentally then SGA or SG1. However only time will tell if stargate universe will be able to acheive the same heights of its predecessors.
  5. jamesj
    Nov 22, 2009
    It takes an old franchise and does something new with it. Last couple of programs have been very good. It's a "B", and at times a B+.. And that's more than good enough for me...
  6. StevenN
    Oct 14, 2009
    A new twist to the SG storyline. Gotta get used to that but it is a welcome addition. Ep 1/2 was a tad too much BSG, but ep 3 was SG style all the way. Great show!
  7. TauQ
    Oct 15, 2009
    It has potential, a bit of a weak start, but SG-1 had a weak start too, too early to make a call.
  8. AlexT.
    Oct 17, 2009
    I wasn't too impressed after the first episode, but after having watched the next two episodes, I'm intrigued. I'm not really digging the Battlestar Galactica feel (simply because BSG BLOWS), but I'm hoping that with some humor and character development, that this show can become classic just like the rest of its counterparts. Give it time, don't get too pissed I wasn't too impressed after the first episode, but after having watched the next two episodes, I'm intrigued. I'm not really digging the Battlestar Galactica feel (simply because BSG BLOWS), but I'm hoping that with some humor and character development, that this show can become classic just like the rest of its counterparts. Give it time, don't get too pissed off yet people, we'll have to wait and see how this one turns out. If it doesn't pull people in, I doubt they'll give it a second or third season because you know this one is costing a ton of money to produce. Expand
  9. GabrielaA.
    Oct 17, 2009
    It's perfect! After SGA I was very sceptical... common, after 12 years of Stargate what can be new? The answer is: almost everything! Congrats!
  10. KarlL
    Nov 7, 2009
    Needs more swashbuckling adventure, exploration and comedy. Right now its just boring emotional crap about characters we haven't known long enough to care about. Completely different to, and not as good as the previous 2 shows.
  11. bryanb
    Dec 18, 2009
    I fine this show very interesting and always look forward to watching it
  12. Scott-LeeN
    Oct 31, 2009
    This show needs abit of a boost as it seems to be very slow but have a feeling that this is leading to an explosive finish to the 1st season.
  13. Oct 1, 2010
    Here's universe. Same feel as Battlestar Galactica, the acting is excellent (ignore the bad reviews) and despite what anyone says, i've seen Caprica and universe is much much less dramatic. That said, it is intense. It's about a group of people who are entirely isolated in an unknown part of the universe on a ship they can't control with no way to get home. Of course that's going to beHere's universe. Same feel as Battlestar Galactica, the acting is excellent (ignore the bad reviews) and despite what anyone says, i've seen Caprica and universe is much much less dramatic. That said, it is intense. It's about a group of people who are entirely isolated in an unknown part of the universe on a ship they can't control with no way to get home. Of course that's going to be intense. Now I've seen all of the stargate movies, and all of sg1. The reason this show gets called dramatic is because the previous shows weren't serious at all. The whole time they kept it light and funny. The best way I can describe what they've done with the show is this: Stargate Universe is this generations stargate. Fans that have been there from the beginning may not like the change but the fact is universe is the show that will keep the stargate franchise alive. That said, if you don't like the show, don't watch it. There's no need to ruin it for those of us with good taste. Expand
  14. Oct 2, 2010
    Just a few points about the show:

Universe is a much more serious show than Atlantis and the majority of SG-1. If your looking for the same style as those, you will be disappointed. The Character development is amazing, and creates a lot of empathy with the main characters. There inst nearly as much filler as the previous 2 series. The drama involved is comparable to a mini-series, or
    Just a few points about the show:

There inst nearly as much filler as the previous 2 series. The drama involved is comparable to a mini-series, or something like Lost, and yes it is a little soapy on occasion, but in a good way.

If you watch a few episodes, and enjoy nail-biting moments, you will not be able to stop watching. Guaranteed.
  15. Oct 11, 2010
    I've enjoyed SG:U so far but there were a couple of times I wasn't bothered about still watching it. Season 2 has started off ok but something needs to happen (like turning the lights on in the freaking hallways!!!). The show doesn't seem to be capitalising on the greatness and mystery of the ship and I fear that if they wait too long people will turn off.
  16. Oct 23, 2010
    I enjoy the show. The acting is fine, the scenarios are plausible (for Sci-Fi). The idea of using older Ancient technology after the SG-1 and SG-Atlantis time-line is much better than a prequel series.
    But please - get rid of the folk music! It sounds like the producer's kids have been practicing in the garage, and somebody asked if their latest home-spun ballad could be used in the show. Those mournful ballads ruin the show for me. Leave the music to the radio stations! I'm rating it at 6, but without the music I'd have given it an 8.
  17. Mar 6, 2016
    Boring and very drab. I tried watching this with my daughter hoping it would be like SG-1 or Atlantis but it is more like the "standard" badly made formula TV show. Reminds me of a cross between a badly played Skyrim and a computer generated plot. None of the characters are interesting except for maybe Eli. It is just so uncreative. You have the standard "attitude"; the setting has theBoring and very drab. I tried watching this with my daughter hoping it would be like SG-1 or Atlantis but it is more like the "standard" badly made formula TV show. Reminds me of a cross between a badly played Skyrim and a computer generated plot. None of the characters are interesting except for maybe Eli. It is just so uncreative. You have the standard "attitude"; the setting has the drab and dreary colors that are so much today's Hollywood. Sure they just beam some dude up without training or even having him say bye to his mom. It is just bad and you keep hoping it gets better but it doesn't. Expand
  18. Dec 1, 2010
    I was so surprised to read all the negative reviews about SGU. I agree that the first season was very slow to take off and somewhat depressing but it has definitely picked up in season 2. Of all the Stargate shows I think this is the best one yet. SG1 had some memorable episodes but near the 10th season I thought it got ridiculous and corny. SGA was garbage - reminiscent of Babylon5.I was so surprised to read all the negative reviews about SGU. I agree that the first season was very slow to take off and somewhat depressing but it has definitely picked up in season 2. Of all the Stargate shows I think this is the best one yet. SG1 had some memorable episodes but near the 10th season I thought it got ridiculous and corny. SGA was garbage - reminiscent of Babylon5. I'm tired of StarTrek wannabe utopias. I agree that SGU is a lot like BSG but you can't really compare the two other than to say it's a similar dark dramatic style. Although I have my opinions about the whole SG franchise, I really have only ever watched the movie, and even though I missed out on a lot of the backstory of SGU, I still find it to be a gripping premise. I think if you hold out until Season 2 you won't be disappointed. It's really one of the best written, most stylishly creative sci-fi shows I've seen in years. It's my favorite show right now on TV. Expand
  19. CarlA
    Oct 23, 2009
    The 4 rating is purely for the potential this show may have and that I desperately hope for. Otherwise, wake me up when something exciting or interesting happens. I'll be watching SG Atlantis for the 6th time, and loving it!!
  20. Oct 3, 2011
    I am and always be an SG1 fan I also love SGA. I tried to like SGU but there was nothing to connect me to these characters the only it had in common with SG1 was a Star Gate. I gave up hope for it to improve the show was clearly going for a new audience not fans of the original show. SGU was the first Syfy cancellation I was happy about.
  21. AliH
    Nov 12, 2009
    I really really wanted to love this show but it's so depressing - I'm all in favour of gritty realism but at least throw the audience a bone and put in a bit of humour in there, even if it's dark humour! I decided to stop watching it today when I realised I was bored and swiftly becoming depressed - that never happened to me watching Stargate SG1.
  22. MikeD
    Jan 18, 2010
    Dr. Rush and Eli Wallace are great characters and the episodes are actually connected in some way, unlike the random jumping around of SG-1 and SG-A. It shows promise but needs to take a step back from being a soap.
  23. GregoryB
    Oct 11, 2009
    They have transformed a great sci-fi serie into soap opera. To much emotions and darkness, not enough sci-fi stuff. I don't expect this serie to survive next year.
  24. Sep 30, 2010
    This ticks all the boxes for me, i like sci-fi so may be a bit biast, but its definetly got plenty in the story line to go. People are moaning its not got enough to it, but its only just finished season 1, its just warming up!!!
  25. Nov 3, 2010
    THIS IS ONE OF THE WORSE SCI-FI SERIES THAT I HAVE EVER SEEN !!! (if you consider this as Sci-FI...). The series is way claustrophobic and most episodes are very boring....
    The action is stale and as a sci-fi the fantasy section feels way way limited.... Most of the series plot is about curing some alien disease or about visiting some boring planet with no local people or some boring personal incidents of the team inside the ship !! I even watched the 2 episodes of Season 2 hoping it will be better but again i was very disappointed.. I will not even bother with this series again, as a Sci-Fi fan i am very disappointed of how pathetic Stargate has turned out...
  26. Jul 31, 2012
    Their were so many things wrong with SGU, I just don't know where to begin. I guess, I will start with the main cast of unlikable characters, that were stuck on ship. I found most of the main characters to be unlikeable, but three did stand out (that being, Rush, Wrary, and Greer- they did stood out from the others but Rush was an SOB and they really didn't do anything with Wrary andTheir were so many things wrong with SGU, I just don't know where to begin. I guess, I will start with the main cast of unlikable characters, that were stuck on ship. I found most of the main characters to be unlikeable, but three did stand out (that being, Rush, Wrary, and Greer- they did stood out from the others but Rush was an SOB and they really didn't do anything with Wrary and Greer), and I just didn't care about any relationships on the show. Second, like what happened on Caprica, the plot didn't really go anywhere and most of the time we were left with seeing people moping about how screwed they are, screaming at each other, having random sex, and sometimes plotting against each other (which I guess was supposed to be the drama on this show). Third, if you liked the other two Stargate shows, just skipped this one. You will end up offended at what the writers did to some of the most beloved characters and established canon, from the previous two Stargate shows. This list just goes on, but I will say, do not watch this show. Instead, you will have a better time watching the other two Stargate shows, which are Stargate SG-1 and Stargate Atlantis. Expand
  27. Aug 27, 2012
    As a big SG1 and SGA fan i was thrilled to see another spin off show had been created, after watching half a dozen shows the level of disappointment has been overwhelming, absolutely nothing happened. Its so different to SG1 that it is unrecognisable, the characters are unlikeable, the spaceship is dull, the plot is thin, the alien technology that allows the crew to zap themselves back toAs a big SG1 and SGA fan i was thrilled to see another spin off show had been created, after watching half a dozen shows the level of disappointment has been overwhelming, absolutely nothing happened. Its so different to SG1 that it is unrecognisable, the characters are unlikeable, the spaceship is dull, the plot is thin, the alien technology that allows the crew to zap themselves back to earth is so obviously just there so that extra earth based plots are available to be inserted when the rest of the story is thin which is most of the time. Its just awful and does not deserve the SG prefix. Expand
  28. Roger
    Oct 3, 2009
    Worst Stargate series to date. Looks like they saw the success of the BSG franchise and tried to imitate it (very badly).
  29. BruceM
    Oct 7, 2009
    We loved Stargate Atlantis, Bring it back. Stargate Universe was terrible, poor plot, poor acting. What were they thinking. The dialogue is horrible.
  30. KOBESBM
    Jan 19, 2010
    This show is horrible. A stain on the otherwise great and successful Stargate franchise. Not only is the show boring and predictable and VERY derivative (BSG, Lost, Big Brother, Melrose Place, etc), its dreary and the characters are totally unlikeable. The few scored of "10" on this site stand out as being completely contrived and fake. The messages these fly by people are making are This show is horrible. A stain on the otherwise great and successful Stargate franchise. Not only is the show boring and predictable and VERY derivative (BSG, Lost, Big Brother, Melrose Place, etc), its dreary and the characters are totally unlikeable. The few scored of "10" on this site stand out as being completely contrived and fake. The messages these fly by people are making are canned and sound silly when you have actually seen the show. I gave it 5 episodes before I stopped watching live, and after seeing Life, I removed it from my DVR recording schedule. It completely blows and shoulod be canceled. I cant see it getting past a second season (its already approved). Ratings will tank even lower than the 1.3m for the "cliffhanger" The DVDis not selling well, and the reviews are horrible at Amazon. Dont be fooled by the shills posting "10" ratings. Expand
  31. DanteI
    Feb 2, 2010
    Horrible. Frankly, i loved all stargate's franchise, but this is a joke. Drama sucks, that's why we watch Science fiction.
  32. ethanJ
    Oct 10, 2009
    Ok this show hasnt made any sense. They should have made this more like SGA an lead up to this series. There was no mention of the 9th chevron in the past. Like i was sayiong before this show hast been making any sense we all know that the Deadulous class ship Hammond is one of the most powerful ships in the galaxy and would be able to withstand Orie ships. how come three Gauld could Ok this show hasnt made any sense. They should have made this more like SGA an lead up to this series. There was no mention of the 9th chevron in the past. Like i was sayiong before this show hast been making any sense we all know that the Deadulous class ship Hammond is one of the most powerful ships in the galaxy and would be able to withstand Orie ships. how come three Gauld could overcome the Hammond. it just doesn make sense. Also the thing that people enjoyed most about the SG was how people were familiar with the technology. This Rush guy seems to sound like he knows what he is doing but does not seem eligable for the role. Most of the characters seem be ok but if they do another desert like episode. im gonna proably stop watchng it and just watch reruns of SGA and SG1. Expand
  33. JackL
    Nov 24, 2009
    Is this really Stargate? Where is the hope, optimism, humor? I see none of it. I see no science or interesting technology, just bimbo lesbians and who slept with who. Too dark and edgy for me, it's garbage.
  34. jackow
    Oct 31, 2009
    The initial plot building has been so slow that the first 4 episodes or so could have been condensed into about 2. I mean, an episode starts with the need to find material to scrub CO2 build-up and almost nothing happens until they find it an hour later... c'mon that could have been interesting in a 10 or 15 minute segment.
  35. RyanH
    Nov 20, 2009
    After the first episode, I would have given SGU a 7.5 or 8. After a few episodes I was still hopeful with a 7. Now I'm down to a 4. Just watched the latest episode (I think it's called Life. Lt Scott finds out on this episode that he's a dad). The episode can be summarized in three words "A bad day". I really hope this isn't the direction they are taking Stargate... After the first episode, I would have given SGU a 7.5 or 8. After a few episodes I was still hopeful with a 7. Now I'm down to a 4. Just watched the latest episode (I think it's called Life. Lt Scott finds out on this episode that he's a dad). The episode can be summarized in three words "A bad day". I really hope this isn't the direction they are taking Stargate... what happened to the swashbuckling adventuring that drew all the fans in the first place? There's very little exploration going on and everything is so melodramatic, over-dramatic, controversial and political. I hated the last episode. I personally believe it was the worst stargate episode... e-v-e-r. Enough with the soap opera / fake-reality show and let's get on with the sci fi. Otherwise, put the show on a new channel and call it TLC Sci Fi and call the show "A ship and a Stargate, plus one hundred and 8". urg, I digress. Expand
  36. LesF.
    Oct 6, 2009
    Best of the three Stargate premieres to me. I'd still put it below the Battlestar miniseries, but I think the show has the potential to be better than BSG, as that show's quality went down hill as it went on from it's great beginnings. Some of the cast members were underused, but I expect that to be rectified in the upcoming episodes, which I will happily stick around to see.
  37. MurrayB
    Nov 4, 2009
    I would have rated it 0 but it is better than "The Starlost" which was a 0. Even though I have followed Stargate from the original movie with Kurt Russell and was a regular viewer of the TV series I was unable to finish watching the first SGU episode. Not only was it slow and dark it was very boring. It is also more anti-science fiction then sci fi. BSG is also anti-science where the bad I would have rated it 0 but it is better than "The Starlost" which was a 0. Even though I have followed Stargate from the original movie with Kurt Russell and was a regular viewer of the TV series I was unable to finish watching the first SGU episode. Not only was it slow and dark it was very boring. It is also more anti-science fiction then sci fi. BSG is also anti-science where the bad guys are the product of human science. Strangely, the good reviews on every forum I have looked at are all written by the same authors. Two or three people posting rave reviews under many different names. What is up with that? Expand
  38. TimO
    Oct 17, 2009
    Yes this show has some similarities with BSG (camera angles are similar, characters are not black or white), but this series has a different pull, instead of fighting cyborgs or aliens across the universe, where faced with a broken down BSG looking ship thats failing as the people are on it. Instead of jump to new stargate, solve the problems of the beleigered inhabitants, and jump back; Yes this show has some similarities with BSG (camera angles are similar, characters are not black or white), but this series has a different pull, instead of fighting cyborgs or aliens across the universe, where faced with a broken down BSG looking ship thats failing as the people are on it. Instead of jump to new stargate, solve the problems of the beleigered inhabitants, and jump back; we are presented with a group of completely dissimilar individuals who all are completely stuck on a ship they know nothing about, with no way to get off. Ity's a different premise that is refreshing and combines several good ideas from different shows into a great idea. I especially like the keno recordings and the visits through the Ancient stones which both give you a feeling for the individuals history and their personalities. Expand
  39. ColinB
    Oct 18, 2009
    A superb new series. I loved Atlantis and this looks like it's setting up to be just as quality. I do agree to an extent with some of the people saying it hasn't quite come together yet, but then they are thrust onto an alien spaceship - so it's bound not to be as solid as the others in the SG series just yet. I love the atmosphere of it and particularly Robert Carlyles A superb new series. I loved Atlantis and this looks like it's setting up to be just as quality. I do agree to an extent with some of the people saying it hasn't quite come together yet, but then they are thrust onto an alien spaceship - so it's bound not to be as solid as the others in the SG series just yet. I love the atmosphere of it and particularly Robert Carlyles character - great acting. I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this one immensely. Expand
  40. LeventeS.
    Oct 3, 2009
    Well, this wasn't that huge impact, lets hope it will get better! The characters are interesting, the plot is something like ST Voyager, but lets hope!
  41. TomenT.
    Oct 5, 2009
    The Stargate Universe seems to be a new experiment. It has the seriousness of BSG, but does not seem to be as dark. One of the strengths f the stargate franchise was the interesting characters. Yet so far no character emerged as interesting as in the previous SGs. It will be a wait and see game. Otherwise the pilot was good. Good acting, very good special effects and interesting story line.
  42. SteveW
    Oct 6, 2009
    I enjoyed the pilot, and the fact that Sci-Fi can be written in a more serious light. Let's see what happens in the next few episodes, but the pilot was an interesting success.
  43. OliverO.
    Feb 2, 2010
    Granted, it is not as good as SG-1 and Atlantas, but still a very solid show that is worth watching.
  44. jeremybrown
    Nov 2, 2009
    If you are looking for a continuation of SGA then you may be disappointed by SGU. However, if you are interested in characters who take several episodes or even seasons to get a bead on you'll like it. Just like Lost and BSG all of the characters are flawed and why will only be revealed in time.
  45. GaryW
    Nov 24, 2009
    Stargate Universe is not a simple retread of Stargate: SG-1 or Sargate Atlantis which is exactly why I love SGU. It's edgy, it's stressed
  46. EnriD
    Nov 20, 2009
    Fanboys, put your toys back in the cot. Science fiction has been in dire need of a makeover since its days as the exclusive territory of geeks with fake rubber ears and pipped vests. It is only now, with deep emotional storytelling and clever humour such as seen in SGU that Sci-fi starts to appeal to the masses. Atlantis failed because it didn't take the premise seriously. It relied Fanboys, put your toys back in the cot. Science fiction has been in dire need of a makeover since its days as the exclusive territory of geeks with fake rubber ears and pipped vests. It is only now, with deep emotional storytelling and clever humour such as seen in SGU that Sci-fi starts to appeal to the masses. Atlantis failed because it didn't take the premise seriously. It relied too much on the tried and tested and sadly exhausted concept of a semi-heroic group who at the end of the day always overcome the challenge of the single-episode plot. But wait! What is this? A shining new beacon of hope on the horizon? A sci-fi series not catering for a stagnating minority? Yes, sci-fi is changing and sometimes change is as good as it is innevitable. Who am I to make such claims? Let's just say I once wore those fake rubber ears. Expand
  47. PaulI
    Nov 4, 2009
    Tries to be Lost meets Star Trek but fails miserably (Lost in Space anyone?). Mediocre acting (Carlyle excepted), cardboard characters, bad scripts and poor direction. Episodes 1 to 3 should have been wrapped into just two. Boring and longwinded but can be forgiven as scene setting for the show. Episode 4 actually quite good. Entertaining. Carlyle starts to flex his acting muscles and Tries to be Lost meets Star Trek but fails miserably (Lost in Space anyone?). Mediocre acting (Carlyle excepted), cardboard characters, bad scripts and poor direction. Episodes 1 to 3 should have been wrapped into just two. Boring and longwinded but can be forgiven as scene setting for the show. Episode 4 actually quite good. Entertaining. Carlyle starts to flex his acting muscles and Eli's character is toned down a bit to make him more bearable. As the comic relief he is just annoying. Ship loses power and pops up in a star system supposedly so its passengers can head for nearby inhabitable planets but Oh No!..They're heading straight for a star! Hands up who realised immediately that it was the ships intention in order to refuel itself harnessing the stars power somehow..yup..nearly everyone. Will the writers acknowledge that its audience is reasonably intellligent and not spring this as the "surprise" conclusion to episode 5? Episode 5. Nope..they think we don't know. Oh dear. Perhaps an interesting side story will appear. Yes. A group can survive by heading for a planet on the shuttlecraft. Colonel young decides on a lottery system to choose. If you expect a group of humans to end their days alone on a planet you need a balance of men and women for obvious reasons. This could have been turned into an entertaining and comic vehicle for the actors and viewers (who gets the gal with big bazooms? etc), but no, as about 14 men and 3 women board the craft I knew within a year most of the men would have clubbed each other to death fighting over the women. When Dr. Rush realises what is really happening he explains the power loss is due to the ship diverting all its power to the shields in order for it to enter the star and reenergise itself. So how did the shuttle manage to leave the ship with its shields at full strength? Episode 6. Water is disappearing so the ship pops up at an icebound planet so the passengers can get more water. Colonel Young decides to head a 2 man team with second in command Scott in tow. Hang on!? In the last episode Young takes himself out of the lottery of survivors as he is crippled and weak and wouldnt survive the arduous nature of survival on a barren planet. This week he's going on a mission to carve up and transport chunks of ice to the ship. A task requiring great physical strength and endurance. Two of his strongest grunts would have sufficed for this one. One more of the shows inconsistencies in plot development. Bet next week he's back on his crutch , hobbling around the ship. Seems the writers threw in this one to as an excuse to put Lt. Johansen in charge and deal with the aliens discovered aboard the ship. Seems a swarming group of particle sized aliens are taking thousands of litres of water at a time. How? How do these tiny aliens take the water. Absorb it? they don't have the body mass! Why do they need it? Such small creatures with simple anatomies probably exist by photosynthesis, turning sunlight into energy. There was no water on the desert planet they originally came from so if they need water to survive wouldn't they have died out on that planet? How did Johansen get them into the barrel? They obligingly swarmed in and that was it? Also, with the ship reenergised they can simply dial Earth using the Stargate and go home. Hurray! No. The ship only got 40% power back. Why? And if the ship is partially sentient, constantly sensing the needs of its passengers and obliging by popping up wherever its needed, why doesnt it sense their need to return home, head for a star, get full power and let them use the stargate? All these inconsistencies and more make this show a real loser. It underestimates its audience on every level. Where is the science in this science fiction? The lazy writers need a science advisor desperately. Any 12 year old in any education system in the world will do... This should have been so good but is so bad! Enoughs enough for me. Can't see this getting any better. Time to jump ship I'm afraid. Expand
  48. DanielC
    Oct 15, 2009
    Oh my God. They turned one of the best SciFi franchises in a piece of crap like Battlestar Galactica. That hurts!
  49. emmaw
    Oct 15, 2009
    I had hoped that if they were going to "go for it" and do something else, that it would mean doing more than just borrowing ideas of other shows. Boring characters none of whome id care about if they did infact get left behind or accidentally fell out of an air lock. Sorry but i think me and stargate will part ways here.
  50. zULUeCHO
    Oct 17, 2009
    The biggest flaw of the show is it tries to take itself seriously using characters which don't have much depth by adding lots of useless melodrama.
  51. CourtneyF
    Dec 2, 2009
    When I heard this was going to be set on a ship, I sort of groaned and thought it was going to be another SG:Atlantis. Don't get me wrong, Atlantis wasn't that bad, but what really made me fall in love with the SG franchise was the realism. The early seasons of SG-1 featured a lot more "planet-based" plots. Yes, there were over-the-top aliens and plenty of tech and everything, When I heard this was going to be set on a ship, I sort of groaned and thought it was going to be another SG:Atlantis. Don't get me wrong, Atlantis wasn't that bad, but what really made me fall in love with the SG franchise was the realism. The early seasons of SG-1 featured a lot more "planet-based" plots. Yes, there were over-the-top aliens and plenty of tech and everything, but it was still a team exploring a world. The later seasons and then Atlantis after it seemed to always be on a spaceship, or it always came down to Rodney figuring out a solution just in time on his laptop. Well now SG:U is realistic in a whole different way: the characters. They have multi-dimensional personalities and there is real drama there. I love the Telford/Scott conflict, the love triangle between Eli, Chloe, and Lt. Scott, and simply the characters of Dr. Rush and Greer. I also rolled my eyes when I saw a quick description of the main characters. "Oh of course there's the brilliant nerd, oh of course there's the strong, silent outsider with issues, etc." I mean I thought those were carbon copies of Rodney McKay and Teal'c/Ronon Dex right there for example. Nothing seemed to be all that original. But I'm happy to say they are much deeper than they appeared. The one thing I think they need to watch is not to turn up the comic relief quite so much. For the most part it's great; I love the references Eli makes. But it shouldn't be like every single scene he's in he's constantly trying to crack jokes. Anyway, to sum up: great show, and I'm going to keep watching. Expand
  52. eliasc
    Oct 20, 2009
    SGU will take time to find an audience but it just might do it. SGU takes the SG franchise in a new direction. This is often a dangerous move because it tends to alienate the fan base and SGU seems to be taking baby steps instead of going full bore with a total re-imagining of the SG series. But I like what I see so far and will keep with it. SGU is a sort of BSG set in the Star Gate SGU will take time to find an audience but it just might do it. SGU takes the SG franchise in a new direction. This is often a dangerous move because it tends to alienate the fan base and SGU seems to be taking baby steps instead of going full bore with a total re-imagining of the SG series. But I like what I see so far and will keep with it. SGU is a sort of BSG set in the Star Gate universe. Characters are troubled, they make bad decisions, they argue, they bicker. The ship, like Battlestar Galactica, is dark and dismal and constantly in threat of falling apart. The humans try desperately to survive and don't seem to understand that the ship, like all Ancient SG ships, knows better how to survive than its human stowaways. Unlike the other SG series, the main character's personal flaws are emphasized and we learn more about these people in a few short episodes then we every did in a year of the previous series. SGU has a lot of potential. I have always felt that the SG series should have been terminated long ago. This new take on the Stargate universe may be worth the viewing. We will know soon enough. Will the producers continue to emphasis human conflict and survival, or will we once again retreat into the more fan popular villain of the week? Expand
  53. BjarniEiríkur
    Dec 7, 2009
    WTF, "Cry me a river in space" everi episode is the same no houmor, no action, no suprise, no fun just drama to the death, and no special kind of drama just boring guideing light shit drama Ultra boring and, who in there right mind could ever accept paying real money to get this made unless they are complitly delusional, i am a big fan of stargate and i realy liked the houmor, the WTF, "Cry me a river in space" everi episode is the same no houmor, no action, no suprise, no fun just drama to the death, and no special kind of drama just boring guideing light shit drama Ultra boring and, who in there right mind could ever accept paying real money to get this made unless they are complitly delusional, i am a big fan of stargate and i realy liked the houmor, the originality of it and the efford the producers put in to it, and to see what is being done to it is unbelivable how boring can a tv show realy be? i think this show will be the new Zero piont on how bad a tv show can get, pushing guideing light out of the last place, Do not watch this show or spend money in any relations with it EVER. Expand
  54. ScottK
    Oct 4, 2009
    I knew they were taking the show in a new direction, and by new direction, they meant everything that has already been done to death. Instead of coming off as edgy or even sci-fi in any manner of the word, they turn around and are actually quite generic on the base where the previous installments although safe, were very story driven and kept people coming back for more. With Universe so I knew they were taking the show in a new direction, and by new direction, they meant everything that has already been done to death. Instead of coming off as edgy or even sci-fi in any manner of the word, they turn around and are actually quite generic on the base where the previous installments although safe, were very story driven and kept people coming back for more. With Universe so far, were left with the only thing in this sequel that actually resembles the show stargate, being the stargate itself. The cast are all young and their acting ability shows through with how green they can be. Your best bet if you want to enjoy this show, is to most likely forget that its stargate and throw all your hopes and dreams out the window, because its no longer story driven, its a soap opera drama now, going off the fights among the characters, and from what we have seen from the premier, .are all forced conflicts do to poor writing. Some things to consider if you have watched SG-1 and SGA... The new "geek" who happens to be a gamer who solved some impossible code that apparently the combine force of McKay, Daniel Jackson, and Samantha Carter couldn't figure out, this kid apparently figured out without much effort. Within 2 days, he had acquired more knowledge on the ancients than the combine knowledge of Daniel Jackson and Mckay and was able to control ship systems with relative ease. The military personnel were weak at best, being what appeared to be weekend warriors serving their 1 weekend a month. The show has no control, no real direction and was very sloppy for a premier that was meant to bring people in...The show will get 2 episodes more at best before being ditched completly if things dont "fix" themselves. No im not looking for a rehash of SG-1 or Atlantis, however, solid acting and a story are a requirement...This is wormhole extreme all over again. Expand
  55. JoelF.
    Oct 5, 2009
    A promising start - grounded in the familiar, but different enough to be interesting.
  56. ty
    Oct 5, 2009
    Boring as this show has reached the end of its Universe. What's an Eli? Please!
  57. ScottN
    Oct 6, 2009
    Very disappointing. I went in spoiler free, so I didn't know there were doing a pale imitation of BSG, but that is what it is. The plot is the same old: "more power, another chevron and a big jump." The "new" thing, is a veneer of BSG, dark, depressing, with angry shrill characters yelling at each other. No fun at all. Not a single compelling character. I can't see it being Very disappointing. I went in spoiler free, so I didn't know there were doing a pale imitation of BSG, but that is what it is. The plot is the same old: "more power, another chevron and a big jump." The "new" thing, is a veneer of BSG, dark, depressing, with angry shrill characters yelling at each other. No fun at all. Not a single compelling character. I can't see it being fixed. It is Stargate sucked dry of any fun by design. Expand
  58. MikeP
    Oct 7, 2009
    A good, solid start for a series that promises to take the Stargate concept in a completely different direction. Not jaw dropping like the BSG mini-series was perhaps, but still pefectly good enough.
  59. AydinB
    Oct 8, 2009
    This was not "the thing" i have expected after stargate sg1 and stargate atlantis. the scenario was really too poor. actings were not so good, in my opinion. sorry.
  60. JulieB
    Nov 1, 2009
    Very few complaints so far. Writing and acting are top-notch.
  61. AlexanderM
    Oct 11, 2009
    Fans of Stargate and sci-fi steer clear of this one. Fans of Battlestar Galactica 2.0, take a look. With the renaming of the Sci Fi Channel to Syfy comes a similarly painful re-branding of Stargate, Stargate: Drama on a Spaceship. The premier was a mixed bag, the increased focus on inter-character drama was clear but it still appeared to have a reasonable amount of the Stargate focus but Fans of Stargate and sci-fi steer clear of this one. Fans of Battlestar Galactica 2.0, take a look. With the renaming of the Sci Fi Channel to Syfy comes a similarly painful re-branding of Stargate, Stargate: Drama on a Spaceship. The premier was a mixed bag, the increased focus on inter-character drama was clear but it still appeared to have a reasonable amount of the Stargate focus but the second episode has cleared up any confusion. Stargate Universe is a drama and the next few episodes appear to continue the character drama if the descriptions are correct. Fans of soaps will likely enjoy it but fans of sci-fi are in for a disappointment with poorly written characters, generic character drama, half-arsed sci-fi writing, and mediocre acting. The show has been summarized as Lost meets StarTrek Voyager but that's a misrepresentation because there doesn't seem to be any indication that they will run into other people anytime soon. SG-1's whole message about gods and the religions surrounding them being created by other mortal or once mortal beings, thus something to be avoided seems to be ignored in order to allow religion to work for personal conflict within one of the protagonists. While this generic drama tool can be used in many other series, it creates a conflict in overtones in the Stargate universe. Expand
  62. ThomasC
    Oct 10, 2009
    Could they have at least hired a few actors for the main cast? How about some writers who can put together a semi-realistic based storyline within the context of the plot? When the main go-to military guy looks like someone barely old enough to have just joined the military, it's hard to accept him as any kind of authority figure as a viewer. Female characters who look like they were Could they have at least hired a few actors for the main cast? How about some writers who can put together a semi-realistic based storyline within the context of the plot? When the main go-to military guy looks like someone barely old enough to have just joined the military, it's hard to accept him as any kind of authority figure as a viewer. Female characters who look like they were transplanted from reality tv and that looks mattered more than acting abilities. The doctor-medic is more believable as eye candy than a person we should care about. I guffawed so often during the pilot at the absurd dialogue I should have started a drinking game. At the height of life or death, an hour of air left, the doctor and 2nd in command refuse to let the head guy sacrifice himself to save everyone. No one person should have to die so everyone else can live, better that they all go down trying. My eye's are still rolling over this. This didn't need to be another SG-1 or Atlantis. Didn't need to be another Battlestar or even Farscape. But what they are offering up as the new SG series on the new SyFy network makes me long for the Sci-Fi channel. I'm willing to give it a little time to shake out the chaff from the cast & crew, but so far the only thing keeping me coming back is Eli. I just pray they don't try to score kiss butt points with SG fans by finding a way to get McKay onto the ship via some sort of holo-program. Expand
  63. TristanM
    Nov 17, 2009
    Teen drama in space. Very childish. Too much sex and voyerism. Not enough SCIENCE and FICTION. The producing are spitting on the old fans in favor of reality TV watching children. The show now panders to those who think with their hormones instead of with their minds. It won't make it til the end of the second season, unless it gets a major overhaul. I love stargate .. just not Teen drama in space. Very childish. Too much sex and voyerism. Not enough SCIENCE and FICTION. The producing are spitting on the old fans in favor of reality TV watching children. The show now panders to those who think with their hormones instead of with their minds. It won't make it til the end of the second season, unless it gets a major overhaul. I love stargate .. just not Stargate Universe. Expand
  64. KathyBoland
    Nov 21, 2009
    These writers are simply not able to pull off this kind of dramatic show. All of the character development has been very hands off...through a video camera held by a second character, or through eaves dropping on clinical psych evaluations. Everything is third person. It is not as if you are "in" the action but viewing it from a clinical viewpoint. With such a stand offish style it's These writers are simply not able to pull off this kind of dramatic show. All of the character development has been very hands off...through a video camera held by a second character, or through eaves dropping on clinical psych evaluations. Everything is third person. It is not as if you are "in" the action but viewing it from a clinical viewpoint. With such a stand offish style it's hard to get invested in any of the characters. Yet I WANT to like it. I keep trying! Expand
  65. d.y.
    Nov 22, 2009
    Painful to watch. I have an idea: make this a mock-reality show. Every episode, the characters have a bunch of interpersonal drama, have some ridiculous competition, then they vote one person off the ship and shove them out the airlock. People who think these characters are complex need to get a dictionary. They get flatter by the minute. Let's not confuse unsympathetic with complex. Painful to watch. I have an idea: make this a mock-reality show. Every episode, the characters have a bunch of interpersonal drama, have some ridiculous competition, then they vote one person off the ship and shove them out the airlock. People who think these characters are complex need to get a dictionary. They get flatter by the minute. Let's not confuse unsympathetic with complex. This series has a situation ("we're stuck on a ship!") but no plot to speak of. I waited for it to go somewhere but after Episode 9 ("Life") I gave up. Sorry to say it, I'm a huge fan of SG-1 with its fresh approach to mythologies and of Atlantis with its character struggles (Weir going from negotiating peace treaties to condoning torture--great psychological complexity); both had amazing world-building and action. I cared what happened to the characters. I still love Stargate--just not SGU. Hopefully this show is a one-season stand we can all try to forget ever happened. Expand
  66. DaveP
    Nov 22, 2009
    It's confusing, and not getting any better. All the flashbacks are getting boring, and taking you away from the theme - whatever that is? It's more like a pyscho-drama, too much in the head, too drawn and contrived. So far It's put me to sleep, without fail, every time. Something which the original Stargate, or its successor Atlantis never did. If the older shows are on I It's confusing, and not getting any better. All the flashbacks are getting boring, and taking you away from the theme - whatever that is? It's more like a pyscho-drama, too much in the head, too drawn and contrived. So far It's put me to sleep, without fail, every time. Something which the original Stargate, or its successor Atlantis never did. If the older shows are on I watch them over and over again, even though I know the story well - just for the character interaction. Sorry this one leaves me cold, so much overacting to fill in for content. Expand
  67. DarrenM
    Nov 22, 2009
    This is a horrible show. I have been a fan of All Stagate, but this one is terrible!!! I mean, the trouble they have is stuck in the desert? stuck in the ice? My lesbian lover misses me? My ex girlfriend didn't have an abortion? My host body guy is hitting on my wife? What a pile. I keep hoping it will get better, but I am losing hope at this point. And why does everything have to be This is a horrible show. I have been a fan of All Stagate, but this one is terrible!!! I mean, the trouble they have is stuck in the desert? stuck in the ice? My lesbian lover misses me? My ex girlfriend didn't have an abortion? My host body guy is hitting on my wife? What a pile. I keep hoping it will get better, but I am losing hope at this point. And why does everything have to be so negative? Maybe the writers should watch the other SG series to see what the theme is supposed to be. Where's the sci-fi fun gadgets, adventures? Expand
  68. JakeO
    Oct 10, 2009
    A great start, with potential to be one of the greatest Sci-Fi television shows of all time. With its Stargate lore, and a rich cast of characters we can relate to, all that's left is to mystify us on the journey ahead.
  69. SamC
    Nov 30, 2009
    At first I was skeptical, didn't think I'd like SGU, but it's grown on me so much that I can hardly wait each week for the next episode.
  70. JaL
    Oct 13, 2009
    This show is incredible. It looks like BSG and feels like SG-1. For those complaining "Atlantis was cancelled for this?" you need to brush up on your facts before you call yourselves fans. Atlantis was being cancelled, with or without this show. They are mutually exclusive.
  71. StevenH
    Nov 3, 2009
    I think SGU is the right direction for SG. The other shows were too corny. I like the realism this brings to the franchise.
  72. BuzzT
    Oct 15, 2009
    It's a more grown up version of Stargate. Not as much action, but definitely a higher dramaturgic level. Like it!
  73. AndrewS
    Oct 17, 2009
    Another incarnation of the Stargate narrative with plenty of room in which to impress us. I look forward to see what they come up with.
  74. GlynnF
    Oct 17, 2009
    Good show with a good premise and group of actors/characters. Can't for the life of me figure out how people are comparing this to lost it's completely different through the fact that the know where they are just not where they're going. More comparable to Sliders than anything else. Admittedly the first planet was a flop but they probably blew their pilot budget on the Good show with a good premise and group of actors/characters. Can't for the life of me figure out how people are comparing this to lost it's completely different through the fact that the know where they are just not where they're going. More comparable to Sliders than anything else. Admittedly the first planet was a flop but they probably blew their pilot budget on the ship and special effects in the first two parts of the show. So here's hoping for better planets in the coming episodes. Expand
  75. RobertK
    Oct 18, 2009
    I think this could be the best stargate series yet. I've loved every minute of it so far.
  76. EikC
    Oct 18, 2009
    For each episode I watch, I hope that they've now done away with the near-constant personal tragedies and crying that happens every single moment for some reason. Well, 3 episodes in and they haven't. Why do they make characters the viewers don't even care about yet go all-out emo in the first episodes?! Something tells me these characters are gonna be paper-thin and dull For each episode I watch, I hope that they've now done away with the near-constant personal tragedies and crying that happens every single moment for some reason. Well, 3 episodes in and they haven't. Why do they make characters the viewers don't even care about yet go all-out emo in the first episodes?! Something tells me these characters are gonna be paper-thin and dull when they're laying it on that thick right off the bat. They can still salvage this if they throw the emo chick and half the cast out an airlock accidentally, and stop the constant wannabe-dramatic atmosphere which they pretty much nicked off of Battlestar Galactica. Speaking of constant drama, what's with the gamer dude? He is clearly comic relief, but this is Battlegate Universica, so how do you expect him to make light of anything with the constant drama you've imposed? Expand
  77. JamesM
    Nov 9, 2009
    SGU is complete rubbish. A low-budget, washed out american soap drama set in space. They
  78. AlexK
    Nov 9, 2009
    This new "Stargate" series is going to make you appreciate you have DVR and just skip over 90% of each episode. There is actualy nothing worth watching. No edgy science, no action, no plot, just crying and whining. You have to wake up at the end of each episode and kick yourself for wasting another hour of your life. Unless new Sy-fy channel aspires to be lame version of Lifetime then I This new "Stargate" series is going to make you appreciate you have DVR and just skip over 90% of each episode. There is actualy nothing worth watching. No edgy science, no action, no plot, just crying and whining. You have to wake up at the end of each episode and kick yourself for wasting another hour of your life. Unless new Sy-fy channel aspires to be lame version of Lifetime then I suggest they pay some old writers to help them out. Sci-Fi fans are better of watching ABC or Fox with its new series. "Fringe" "V" "Flash Forward" Expand
  79. GC
    Dec 10, 2009
    i've already abandoned the show. didn't even bother with the midseason cliffhanger episode. here's why. - the characters are all unpleasant - the characters argue and create drama for no apparent reason. every episode - the political correctness of the show annoys me - the ancient stones allowing communication with earth are a cheat. takes away any sense that these people i've already abandoned the show. didn't even bother with the midseason cliffhanger episode. here's why. - the characters are all unpleasant - the characters argue and create drama for no apparent reason. every episode - the political correctness of the show annoys me - the ancient stones allowing communication with earth are a cheat. takes away any sense that these people are a zillion light years away from earth - too much sex for the sake of sex - setting up the lead scientist to be a bad guy not interested in the welfare of the others has been done before. see "Lost in Space" - very little humor - did i mention that the characters are all unpleasant. why would i want to spend an hour with unpleasant people every week when i can just change the channel? it's a horrible, horrible show. the writers and producers need to be fed to the wraith. Expand
  80. JohnH
    Dec 1, 2009
    I hate the look and feel of it. Bad cast of characters that are too familiar with other hits. I can't get Labamba out of my head, among other shows. Hate the explicit sexual content. Hate the characters. I really liked sg1 and atlantis, but am super disappointed with this. I hope they scrap it and go back to their roots. Produce a family-friendly show without all of the crap.
  81. KlarkK
    Dec 20, 2009
    This is not Sci-fi but Syfy which means more soap opera and less of what we the fans want.
  82. BJT
    Dec 20, 2009
    Too much like BSG for my taste. No need for this to have the title of StarGate at all.
  83. cnib
    Oct 2, 2009
    It felt like Battle Star Galactica, i really didn't like the characters. it was a downer ..... just dark and gloomy. i know there are many who like gritty realism served up with their entertainment, but it ain't my cup of tea.
  84. MarioT
    Dec 23, 2009
    Let
  85. PauloC
    Oct 24, 2009
    I have been a fan of all the Stargate series. And I insist all the fans give this series some credit stop comparing it to BSG. On its own it has enormous potential and I am certainly enjoying every episode! Great Work!
  86. Jackf
    Dec 4, 2009
    Univertse is terrible. The charachtes are two-dimensional at best and the whole show has the look and feel of a soap opera. And why for god's sake haven't they found the lights yet. every scene seems to be shot in twilight.......... it's very depressing.
  87. AlanG
    Dec 9, 2009
    Every week I keep hoping it will improve and every week I'm disappointed. It's far more soap than sci-fi. If they do decide to do another series I hope they read some of the comments posted here and get it right!
  88. LorreceJ.
    Oct 3, 2009
    The first episode seemed a bit predictable and stereotypical in terms of characters and plot points. However, I like Robert Carlyle and the dude playing Eli is funny, so I'll keep watching.
  89. NatalieS
    Oct 3, 2009
    I liked it! And you can tell it'll keep getting better as they find the characters. I haven't had anything to watch on Fridays since they canceled Terminator. Thank you, Stargate!
  90. MikeB
    Oct 3, 2009
    While the premise of the series is well trodden, even by the previous entry in the series, SGU looks to deliver on the promises Atlantis could never fill. Even while the setting has been retooled to be darker and grittier, this still fells like a Stargate.
  91. ChristopherH.
    Oct 3, 2009
    I'm sure there'll be people who dislike this prgram initially because, "it's not like any of the others". But that's exactly why I like it. I'm also sure that people will dislike this program initially because, "it's too much like Battlestar Gallactica". And this is where I disagree. I don't think it's a copy of the re-imagined BSG at all, but a I'm sure there'll be people who dislike this prgram initially because, "it's not like any of the others". But that's exactly why I like it. I'm also sure that people will dislike this program initially because, "it's too much like Battlestar Gallactica". And this is where I disagree. I don't think it's a copy of the re-imagined BSG at all, but a move to more reality based, speculative science fiction. Creepy crawlies and folks trading quips with stuff etched over their faces is fun, but what's wrong with some good ole fashioned drama out in space? Nothing, I hope.. Expand
  92. Nikhil
    Oct 3, 2009
    Quite Good. Wish the Dr. Rush character wasn't quite as sappy but Robert Carlyle can make bad writing look good. It looks like it has an interesting cast of characters.
  93. CalebD.
    Oct 4, 2009
    Good, not Great. I will continue to watch.
  94. PeterT.
    Oct 5, 2009
    I don't know what was worse, the jumping back and forth in time (rips away any suspense), the recycled actors (glad they were only on the one show), or the Dr Suess dialogue.
  95. DavidL.
    Oct 5, 2009
    And they canceled SG Altantis for this, what were they thinking. It is a big loser for me.
  96. JonDoe
    Oct 5, 2009
    What the hell! Battlestar Galactica/Lost/ kind of stargate show what happen? If this crap doesn't change just bring back atlantis. what a waste of stargate goodness.
  97. DavidW
    Oct 7, 2009
    Reminded me of BSG, love the look of the show - much more dramatic than the previous SG shows. Robert Carlyle is on great form as Chase!
  98. MartinL
    Oct 7, 2009
    Can anyone tell me when it became acceptable to replace plot and good writing with buckets of angst?
  99. LewisC
    Nov 18, 2009
    I loved SG1, but never really got into Atlantis as I really just viewed it as an improvement or much of a variation on the original show. Saying that, SGU takes things to another level with a new perspective on the whole theme of the show. Characters are brilliant and stories are alot more interesting than in SGA!
  100. JohnM
    Nov 27, 2009
    Simple and poor idea about how to kill the briliate franchise.

Stories aren't particularly dense or surprising, and some of the conflict feels quite contrived
  2. Hopefully the story itself, which finds a band of alien-attack victims jumping blindly through a Stargate and landing on a mysterious spaceship billions of light years from Earth, will eventually transcend this premiere's BSG-lite-ness.
  3. With 19 episodes remaining in this season, there's plenty of time for all this drama to intensify and the characters to sort themselves out as good and not-so-good.