• Network: Syfy
  • Series Premiere Date: Oct 2, 2009
Season #: 1, 2
5.9

1. Dec 3, 2010
    The current score is really unfair for a show that's growing very well and has become very good indeed.
    I do agree that it started a little boring, and too much of a soap opera. The 'Chloe' character was really boring at start, to be honest (but that has somewhat changed - thanks to the writing).
    But the 'other side' of this show, the difficulty of their situation, the non-English speaking aliens, the bad temper of the team under the circumstances... is just much more realistic than SG-1 or SG atlantis ever was. And don't let me start on the acting: while this has some not so good actors, it does not compare to the first seasons of SG-1 or with SG Atlantis (the actors that performed Teyla Emmagan and Ronon Dex were just lousy).

There's no doubt that the series copied concepts from BSG, and therefore it doesn't deserve a 10.
    But season 2 is really, really good. There is action, there is suspense, there is science fiction (just as much, if not more, than in SG-1 - and definitely more realistic). I am currently watching SG-1 again, and it is incredible how naive it all is.

Real life is not perfect, and this show entertains because it presents believable characters in unthinkable situations.
  2. Daniell
    Oct 8, 2009
    Very promising series ! Very good start ! Just hope they'll not drop to lousy scenarios and bizarre creatures with lousy costumes. If they focus more on the characters, keep the suspense, write intriguing stories it could turn out to be a very good show.
  3. JanetG.
    Oct 6, 2009
    This show is GREAT! Edge of my seat watching. Loved the old SG1 and SGA, but the show has to progress. Eli, Young and Rush are awesome, taking an established fanbase on another arc.
  4. RobbieC
    Nov 1, 2009
    It is a new direction, slower in pace but still exciting in a different way. It is far more stimulating mentally then SGA or SG1. However only time will tell if stargate universe will be able to acheive the same heights of its predecessors.
  5. jamesj
    Nov 22, 2009
    It takes an old franchise and does something new with it. Last couple of programs have been very good. It's a "B", and at times a B+.. And that's more than good enough for me...
  6. StevenN
    Oct 14, 2009
    A new twist to the SG storyline. Gotta get used to that but it is a welcome addition. Ep 1/2 was a tad too much BSG, but ep 3 was SG style all the way. Great show!
  7. TauQ
    Oct 15, 2009
    It has potential, a bit of a weak start, but SG-1 had a weak start too, too early to make a call.
  8. AlexT.
    Oct 17, 2009
    I wasn't too impressed after the first episode, but after having watched the next two episodes, I'm intrigued. I'm not really digging the Battlestar Galactica feel (simply because BSG BLOWS), but I'm hoping that with some humor and character development, that this show can become classic just like the rest of its counterparts. Give it time, don't get too pissed I wasn't too impressed after the first episode, but after having watched the next two episodes, I'm intrigued. I'm not really digging the Battlestar Galactica feel (simply because BSG BLOWS), but I'm hoping that with some humor and character development, that this show can become classic just like the rest of its counterparts. Give it time, don't get too pissed off yet people, we'll have to wait and see how this one turns out. If it doesn't pull people in, I doubt they'll give it a second or third season because you know this one is costing a ton of money to produce. Expand
  9. GabrielaA.
    Oct 17, 2009
    It's perfect! After SGA I was very sceptical... common, after 12 years of Stargate what can be new? The answer is: almost everything! Congrats!
  10. bryanb
    Dec 18, 2009
    I fine this show very interesting and always look forward to watching it
  11. Scott-LeeN
    Oct 31, 2009
    This show needs abit of a boost as it seems to be very slow but have a feeling that this is leading to an explosive finish to the 1st season.
  12. Oct 1, 2010
    Here's universe. Same feel as Battlestar Galactica, the acting is excellent (ignore the bad reviews) and despite what anyone says, i've seen Caprica and universe is much much less dramatic. That said, it is intense. It's about a group of people who are entirely isolated in an unknown part of the universe on a ship they can't control with no way to get home. Of course that's going to beHere's universe. Same feel as Battlestar Galactica, the acting is excellent (ignore the bad reviews) and despite what anyone says, i've seen Caprica and universe is much much less dramatic. That said, it is intense. It's about a group of people who are entirely isolated in an unknown part of the universe on a ship they can't control with no way to get home. Of course that's going to be intense. Now I've seen all of the stargate movies, and all of sg1. The reason this show gets called dramatic is because the previous shows weren't serious at all. The whole time they kept it light and funny. The best way I can describe what they've done with the show is this: Stargate Universe is this generations stargate. Fans that have been there from the beginning may not like the change but the fact is universe is the show that will keep the stargate franchise alive. That said, if you don't like the show, don't watch it. There's no need to ruin it for those of us with good taste. Expand
  13. Oct 2, 2010
    Just a few points about the show:

Universe is a much more serious show than Atlantis and the majority of SG-1. If your looking for the same style as those, you will be disappointed. The Character development is amazing, and creates a lot of empathy with the main characters. There inst nearly as much filler as the previous 2 series. The drama involved is comparable to a mini-series, or
    Just a few points about the show:

There inst nearly as much filler as the previous 2 series. The drama involved is comparable to a mini-series, or something like Lost, and yes it is a little soapy on occasion, but in a good way.

If you watch a few episodes, and enjoy nail-biting moments, you will not be able to stop watching. Guaranteed.
  14. Oct 11, 2010
    I've enjoyed SG:U so far but there were a couple of times I wasn't bothered about still watching it. Season 2 has started off ok but something needs to happen (like turning the lights on in the freaking hallways!!!). The show doesn't seem to be capitalising on the greatness and mystery of the ship and I fear that if they wait too long people will turn off.
  15. Oct 23, 2010
    I enjoy the show. The acting is fine, the scenarios are plausible (for Sci-Fi). The idea of using older Ancient technology after the SG-1 and SG-Atlantis time-line is much better than a prequel series.
    But please - get rid of the folk music! It sounds like the producer's kids have been practicing in the garage, and somebody asked if their latest home-spun ballad could be used in the show. Those mournful ballads ruin the show for me. Leave the music to the radio stations! I'm rating it at 6, but without the music I'd have given it an 8.
  16. Dec 1, 2010
    I was so surprised to read all the negative reviews about SGU. I agree that the first season was very slow to take off and somewhat depressing but it has definitely picked up in season 2. Of all the Stargate shows I think this is the best one yet. SG1 had some memorable episodes but near the 10th season I thought it got ridiculous and corny. SGA was garbage - reminiscent of Babylon5.I was so surprised to read all the negative reviews about SGU. I agree that the first season was very slow to take off and somewhat depressing but it has definitely picked up in season 2. Of all the Stargate shows I think this is the best one yet. SG1 had some memorable episodes but near the 10th season I thought it got ridiculous and corny. SGA was garbage - reminiscent of Babylon5. I'm tired of StarTrek wannabe utopias. I agree that SGU is a lot like BSG but you can't really compare the two other than to say it's a similar dark dramatic style. Although I have my opinions about the whole SG franchise, I really have only ever watched the movie, and even though I missed out on a lot of the backstory of SGU, I still find it to be a gripping premise. I think if you hold out until Season 2 you won't be disappointed. It's really one of the best written, most stylishly creative sci-fi shows I've seen in years. It's my favorite show right now on TV. Expand
  17. MikeD
    Jan 18, 2010
    Dr. Rush and Eli Wallace are great characters and the episodes are actually connected in some way, unlike the random jumping around of SG-1 and SG-A. It shows promise but needs to take a step back from being a soap.
  18. Sep 30, 2010
    This ticks all the boxes for me, i like sci-fi so may be a bit biast, but its definetly got plenty in the story line to go. People are moaning its not got enough to it, but its only just finished season 1, its just warming up!!!
  19. LesF.
    Oct 6, 2009
    Best of the three Stargate premieres to me. I'd still put it below the Battlestar miniseries, but I think the show has the potential to be better than BSG, as that show's quality went down hill as it went on from it's great beginnings. Some of the cast members were underused, but I expect that to be rectified in the upcoming episodes, which I will happily stick around to see.
  20. TimO
    Oct 17, 2009
    Yes this show has some similarities with BSG (camera angles are similar, characters are not black or white), but this series has a different pull, instead of fighting cyborgs or aliens across the universe, where faced with a broken down BSG looking ship thats failing as the people are on it. Instead of jump to new stargate, solve the problems of the beleigered inhabitants, and jump back; Yes this show has some similarities with BSG (camera angles are similar, characters are not black or white), but this series has a different pull, instead of fighting cyborgs or aliens across the universe, where faced with a broken down BSG looking ship thats failing as the people are on it. Instead of jump to new stargate, solve the problems of the beleigered inhabitants, and jump back; we are presented with a group of completely dissimilar individuals who all are completely stuck on a ship they know nothing about, with no way to get off. Ity's a different premise that is refreshing and combines several good ideas from different shows into a great idea. I especially like the keno recordings and the visits through the Ancient stones which both give you a feeling for the individuals history and their personalities. Expand
  21. ColinB
    Oct 18, 2009
    A superb new series. I loved Atlantis and this looks like it's setting up to be just as quality. I do agree to an extent with some of the people saying it hasn't quite come together yet, but then they are thrust onto an alien spaceship - so it's bound not to be as solid as the others in the SG series just yet. I love the atmosphere of it and particularly Robert Carlyles A superb new series. I loved Atlantis and this looks like it's setting up to be just as quality. I do agree to an extent with some of the people saying it hasn't quite come together yet, but then they are thrust onto an alien spaceship - so it's bound not to be as solid as the others in the SG series just yet. I love the atmosphere of it and particularly Robert Carlyles character - great acting. I have a feeling I'm going to enjoy this one immensely. Expand
  22. LeventeS.
    Oct 3, 2009
    Well, this wasn't that huge impact, lets hope it will get better! The characters are interesting, the plot is something like ST Voyager, but lets hope!
  23. TomenT.
    Oct 5, 2009
    The Stargate Universe seems to be a new experiment. It has the seriousness of BSG, but does not seem to be as dark. One of the strengths f the stargate franchise was the interesting characters. Yet so far no character emerged as interesting as in the previous SGs. It will be a wait and see game. Otherwise the pilot was good. Good acting, very good special effects and interesting story line.
  24. SteveW
    Oct 6, 2009
    I enjoyed the pilot, and the fact that Sci-Fi can be written in a more serious light. Let's see what happens in the next few episodes, but the pilot was an interesting success.
  25. OliverO.
    Feb 2, 2010
    Granted, it is not as good as SG-1 and Atlantas, but still a very solid show that is worth watching.
  26. jeremybrown
    Nov 2, 2009
    If you are looking for a continuation of SGA then you may be disappointed by SGU. However, if you are interested in characters who take several episodes or even seasons to get a bead on you'll like it. Just like Lost and BSG all of the characters are flawed and why will only be revealed in time.
  27. GaryW
    Nov 24, 2009
    Stargate Universe is not a simple retread of Stargate: SG-1 or Sargate Atlantis which is exactly why I love SGU. It's edgy, it's stressed
  28. EnriD
    Nov 20, 2009
    Fanboys, put your toys back in the cot. Science fiction has been in dire need of a makeover since its days as the exclusive territory of geeks with fake rubber ears and pipped vests. It is only now, with deep emotional storytelling and clever humour such as seen in SGU that Sci-fi starts to appeal to the masses. Atlantis failed because it didn't take the premise seriously. It relied Fanboys, put your toys back in the cot. Science fiction has been in dire need of a makeover since its days as the exclusive territory of geeks with fake rubber ears and pipped vests. It is only now, with deep emotional storytelling and clever humour such as seen in SGU that Sci-fi starts to appeal to the masses. Atlantis failed because it didn't take the premise seriously. It relied too much on the tried and tested and sadly exhausted concept of a semi-heroic group who at the end of the day always overcome the challenge of the single-episode plot. But wait! What is this? A shining new beacon of hope on the horizon? A sci-fi series not catering for a stagnating minority? Yes, sci-fi is changing and sometimes change is as good as it is innevitable. Who am I to make such claims? Let's just say I once wore those fake rubber ears. Expand
  29. CourtneyF
    Dec 2, 2009
    When I heard this was going to be set on a ship, I sort of groaned and thought it was going to be another SG:Atlantis. Don't get me wrong, Atlantis wasn't that bad, but what really made me fall in love with the SG franchise was the realism. The early seasons of SG-1 featured a lot more "planet-based" plots. Yes, there were over-the-top aliens and plenty of tech and everything, When I heard this was going to be set on a ship, I sort of groaned and thought it was going to be another SG:Atlantis. Don't get me wrong, Atlantis wasn't that bad, but what really made me fall in love with the SG franchise was the realism. The early seasons of SG-1 featured a lot more "planet-based" plots. Yes, there were over-the-top aliens and plenty of tech and everything, but it was still a team exploring a world. The later seasons and then Atlantis after it seemed to always be on a spaceship, or it always came down to Rodney figuring out a solution just in time on his laptop. Well now SG:U is realistic in a whole different way: the characters. They have multi-dimensional personalities and there is real drama there. I love the Telford/Scott conflict, the love triangle between Eli, Chloe, and Lt. Scott, and simply the characters of Dr. Rush and Greer. I also rolled my eyes when I saw a quick description of the main characters. "Oh of course there's the brilliant nerd, oh of course there's the strong, silent outsider with issues, etc." I mean I thought those were carbon copies of Rodney McKay and Teal'c/Ronon Dex right there for example. Nothing seemed to be all that original. But I'm happy to say they are much deeper than they appeared. The one thing I think they need to watch is not to turn up the comic relief quite so much. For the most part it's great; I love the references Eli makes. But it shouldn't be like every single scene he's in he's constantly trying to crack jokes. Anyway, to sum up: great show, and I'm going to keep watching. Expand
  30. eliasc
    Oct 20, 2009
    SGU will take time to find an audience but it just might do it. SGU takes the SG franchise in a new direction. This is often a dangerous move because it tends to alienate the fan base and SGU seems to be taking baby steps instead of going full bore with a total re-imagining of the SG series. But I like what I see so far and will keep with it. SGU is a sort of BSG set in the Star Gate SGU will take time to find an audience but it just might do it. SGU takes the SG franchise in a new direction. This is often a dangerous move because it tends to alienate the fan base and SGU seems to be taking baby steps instead of going full bore with a total re-imagining of the SG series. But I like what I see so far and will keep with it. SGU is a sort of BSG set in the Star Gate universe. Characters are troubled, they make bad decisions, they argue, they bicker. The ship, like Battlestar Galactica, is dark and dismal and constantly in threat of falling apart. The humans try desperately to survive and don't seem to understand that the ship, like all Ancient SG ships, knows better how to survive than its human stowaways. Unlike the other SG series, the main character's personal flaws are emphasized and we learn more about these people in a few short episodes then we every did in a year of the previous series. SGU has a lot of potential. I have always felt that the SG series should have been terminated long ago. This new take on the Stargate universe may be worth the viewing. We will know soon enough. Will the producers continue to emphasis human conflict and survival, or will we once again retreat into the more fan popular villain of the week? Expand

Stories aren't particularly dense or surprising, and some of the conflict feels quite contrived
  2. Hopefully the story itself, which finds a band of alien-attack victims jumping blindly through a Stargate and landing on a mysterious spaceship billions of light years from Earth, will eventually transcend this premiere's BSG-lite-ness.
  3. With 19 episodes remaining in this season, there's plenty of time for all this drama to intensify and the characters to sort themselves out as good and not-so-good.