• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Nov 18, 1990
  • Season #: 1
7.7

1. May 25, 2013
    Originally aired as a two-part television movie in the early 90's 'I't has since been re-edited into a three hour movie. Based on the novel by Stephen King 'It' opens in Maine where a young girl is murdered by a malevolent force that takes the form of a clown known as Pennywise. Whilst at the scene, Mike, a resident of the town notices a picture, a picture of his friends brother, killed 30Originally aired as a two-part television movie in the early 90's 'I't has since been re-edited into a three hour movie. Based on the novel by Stephen King 'It' opens in Maine where a young girl is murdered by a malevolent force that takes the form of a clown known as Pennywise. Whilst at the scene, Mike, a resident of the town notices a picture, a picture of his friends brother, killed 30 years ago. Having originally put a stop the clown's murderous spree as children he soon realises that he must reunite with his friends, a group who called themselves "the losers club", in order to defeat Pennywise once and for all.

Let me say now that I am a huge fan of Stephen King's novels but will always try to judge any movie taken from his work on its own merits. Condensing a book well in excess of 1000 pages into 180 minutes was never going to be an easy task and cuts have obviously been made. The real problem however is that with some less than stellar dialogue, a few uneven performances and any scenes of violence taking place off screen the movies low budget TV origins are painfully obvious throughout. As a result, despite a memorable performance from Tim Curry as Pennywise, It lacks the creepy atmosphere created by King’s book and while Pennywise may inspire nightmares for younger viewers very little in the movie is actually scary.

It’s not all bad of course. Underneath it all there is a good tale and it certainly makes for a watchable three hours but if you want the full story I suggest you read the book instead (or listen to the unabridged audiobook that is now available).
  2. Jul 28, 2011
    this movie was scary as hell, which didn't surprise me considering that this is a stephen king movie. This movie is why im scared of clowns!, Chances are if you like scary movies and you are a fan of stephens other horror flicks like the mist than you will love this movie
  3. Nov 3, 2011
    The best Stephen King without a doubt. At first I was scared to watch it, but as I got older the dialouge made more sense and the storyline was very well thought through. Deffinitely a movie to watch with a group of friends instead of alone.
  4. Jan 16, 2014
    I remember reading the original novel, and it was really, really good. It was well over a thousand pages, one of the few epics of the horror genre. However, when I saw the television show, I was... less than pleased. The show ran for 189 minutes, just over three hours, and so it's to be expected that they couldn't condense the entire book into those three hours. I can also understand thatI remember reading the original novel, and it was really, really good. It was well over a thousand pages, one of the few epics of the horror genre. However, when I saw the television show, I was... less than pleased. The show ran for 189 minutes, just over three hours, and so it's to be expected that they couldn't condense the entire book into those three hours. I can also understand that they were unable to make a television series out of the novel.

However, the performances could be better. The story feels jumbled and disjointed, and it feels like they just took the main plot elements and threw them in. The acting and effects are cheesy and, since it's a television movie, they were unable to throw in the more violent aspects of what was an extremely violent novel. However, this film does have one saving grace, and that's Tim Curry as Pennywise the Dancing Clown. He pulls of something that very few horror movie actors have in recent times, or ever have. Pennywise is actually freaking terrifying.

However, this film has a jumbled and abrupt plot, silly and cheesy dialogue and effects and extremely average acting (mostly), so it's not as brilliant as I would have hoped.
  5. Jan 24, 2013
    Probably the scariest movie of my childhood. Tim Curry's performance as Pennywise is just phenomenal. Just a real shame that it ended the way that it did. The ending did feel a bit out of context and really didn't fit very well with the rest of the film. To be honest I really only liked the first 75% of this movie. The end does get a bit boring. Really great seeing Seth Green in one of hisProbably the scariest movie of my childhood. Tim Curry's performance as Pennywise is just phenomenal. Just a real shame that it ended the way that it did. The ending did feel a bit out of context and really didn't fit very well with the rest of the film. To be honest I really only liked the first 75% of this movie. The end does get a bit boring. Really great seeing Seth Green in one of his earlier roles. Overall: a great horror of its time, and will always be a classic in my eye. Expand
  6. Jun 1, 2014
    "Stephen Kings It is Creepy and one of the best novel/movie of kings career". I watch this movie with my brother sam and it was creepy , awesome , weird and creative . Grade A
  7. Sep 4, 2014
    "It" is one of the better adaptations of one of Stephen King's works. It originally aired as a two-part miniseries. I felt the first part, which took place in 1960, was genuinely scary. The second part, which took place in 1990, was weaker, but it still had its moments. The acting from everyone is great, including the child actors, and Tim Curry as the titular character gives an especially"It" is one of the better adaptations of one of Stephen King's works. It originally aired as a two-part miniseries. I felt the first part, which took place in 1960, was genuinely scary. The second part, which took place in 1990, was weaker, but it still had its moments. The acting from everyone is great, including the child actors, and Tim Curry as the titular character gives an especially disturbing performance. I feel it's a classic of the horror genre, and if you are a fan of Stephen King's works, I definitely recommend this. Expand

There are no critic reviews yet.