Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip : Season 1

Oct 2, 2006
    Excellent Show !
  2. C.B.
    Oct 4, 2006
    Best show since Sorkin left WW.
  3. Marcia
    Oct 6, 2006
    Liked this show better than any other new series this season. Surely hope that it makes it past the negative comments, which, I might add, are in the minority.
  4. CodeC
    Oct 9, 2006
    Outstanding show.
  5. DevinE.
    Sep 19, 2006
    I can't believe all the positive reviews I'm reading. Has everyone gone insane? This show is terrible!!! Yes, the cast is great, but the show is BORING. And confusing. And the mystery sketch is "Crazy Christians"? Wow. Swing and a miss. Open your eyes, people!
  6. JoyF
    Sep 27, 2006
    This is a well put together series thus far. I am impressed with the acting, dialog, and plot. The movement of the way it is filmed is also very smart.
  7. JeffJ
    Sep 30, 2006
    This show has a cast of actors I really like. I like that Matthew Perry was given a chance to show he has acting abilities far beyond the character of he played on "Friends". I like that they pulled in DL Hughley and brought in Ayda Field from "Blue Collar". In short, this ensemble, to me, really blends well. There are some weaknesses. The most obvious weakness, and illustrative of This show has a cast of actors I really like. I like that Matthew Perry was given a chance to show he has acting abilities far beyond the character of he played on "Friends". I like that they pulled in DL Hughley and brought in Ayda Field from "Blue Collar". In short, this ensemble, to me, really blends well. There are some weaknesses. The most obvious weakness, and illustrative of others, is the anti-Chrisitan theme. Attacking Christians right out of the starting gate shows how myopic the creators and writers are. First, they got Harriet's character all wrong. No dedicated Christian would be doing and saying the things her character does. Harriet resembles a "cultural Christian", not a real Christian (you can find them all over the place in "flyover country"). But then, the creators and writers have their own prejudices, and most likely do not know many real Christians. Even if one disagrees with Christianity, and many do, it is worth finding out what they are really all about before trying to portray them. I can only hope future episodes provide some correction. When I watched the first 2 episodes, it was like watching monkeys at the zoo. Thinking that all around them is all there is, the monkeys are oblivious to the larger world around them. They marvel at the people who watch them, without understanding. The creators and writers of this show attack Christians as if they are some mentally ill little group of oddballs. Like the monkeys in the cage, they think their own little Hollywood world is all there is that matters. They forget the larger world their sponsors deal with has tens of millions of those "crazy Christians". I am hoping they have a plan whereby they start off with this typical narrow minded anti-Christian bigotry, and during the season, come around to a realization by some of the characters that what they were doing was no different than other forms of bigotry - doing to Christians what they would never do to blacks, women, Muslims, or Jews. It is good enough to keep watching, but if the anti-Christian storyline goes unabated, then say goodbye to this show after one season. You don't insult tens of millions of people who buy your sponsors' products and stay on TV for very long. Expand
  8. JimB
    Feb 20, 2007
    This show is terrific. I love Amand Peet, Bradley Whitford, Matthew Perry, Steven Weber & Sarah Paulson's interacations. One of the best shows on TV!!! Without a doubt, one of the best shows on NBC.
  9. AnaZ.
    Oct 5, 2008
    The greatest show ever. Incredible cast. Great plots and struggles. It's prolific, funny and strong, powerful. And I'm really sad (and angry) it did not make it to the next season. It should be on for a while. At least five seasons. I love you all who participated in creating it. You've done a great job. Now... make it come back.
  10. dcasey
    Oct 16, 2006
    one of the best new shows this year, imo. And a great replacement for West Wing. I'm glad to see that the folks from that show are back with such a good vehicle.
  11. DonnaZ
    Oct 10, 2006
    I'm extremely impressed with this show. The writing is rapid fire and smart, likewise for the performances. You care about the characters and the situations with which they deal. I've worked in broadcasting for 29 years (though not in sketch comedy) and I think Sorkin's nailed it. My favorite show of the season. NBC, this one needs to stick around. Wait until Emmy time, if I'm extremely impressed with this show. The writing is rapid fire and smart, likewise for the performances. You care about the characters and the situations with which they deal. I've worked in broadcasting for 29 years (though not in sketch comedy) and I think Sorkin's nailed it. My favorite show of the season. NBC, this one needs to stick around. Wait until Emmy time, if you don't believe me. Expand
  12. BryanS
    Oct 2, 2006
    Should be renamed Studio Sucky. I can't believe that this show would retain its market share audience.
  13. MichealH
    Oct 24, 2006
    Studio 60 is an excellent show. The actors are incredible; yes, all of them!! The thing I like most about the show is that it feels "believable"; I believe the characters' passion for this "sketch comedy hour"; I believe the love-story between two co-workers that "just won't die"; and I believe the frustrations of each character as they struggle with their lives both personally Studio 60 is an excellent show. The actors are incredible; yes, all of them!! The thing I like most about the show is that it feels "believable"; I believe the characters' passion for this "sketch comedy hour"; I believe the love-story between two co-workers that "just won't die"; and I believe the frustrations of each character as they struggle with their lives both personally and professionally. Tonight's episode (October 23rd) with the young actor showing his parents around the studio (and explaining in detail every area) was heart-breaking. I actually found myself crying as I watched him try to "connect" with his parents, especially his father. He so badly wanted to be "accepted" for what he does; not belittled for it. Now how many of us have been through similar experiences? Or, at the very least, known someone who has?? Or the piece with Timothy Busfield connecting with the elderly gentleman (who they believed had Alzheimers), only to find out not only had he fought in WW II, but had been a writer himself. Classic, Classic. Expand
  14. MaryB
    Intelligent, balanced, personal.
  15. BenB
    Oct 6, 2006
    -Some of Sorkin's best work, S60 is clever, witty, dramtic and funny, often at the same time. It's also an ensemble of fantastic actors who have been given interesting characters to explore. I can't wait to see how things unravel... I hope this show is given a chance to find an audience!
  16. JeffM
    Sep 18, 2006
    Great! Sorkin and Schlamme can do now wrong. How can you not like this cast?
  17. WadeT
    Sep 19, 2006
    Pleasantly surprised. I found the elevating of what seems to be an unimportant (compared to West Wing) area to be quite plausible. Also, who knew that Matthew Perry was that good. Will be watching, and I normally don't watch television much these days.
  18. MikeB
    Sep 19, 2006
    As a die-hard West Wing fan I didn't know what was going to fill that void. Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip (not a fan of the title) will cater to an intelligent audience who appreciate great writing and an impressive ensemble cast. Thank you Sorkin!
  19. DaveM
    Sep 20, 2006
    Not nearly as good as I had hoped...several cast members, especially Amanda Peet and whoever was playing Matt Perry's old flame, failed to impress. And Sorkin's got to get off his soapbox, the preaching morality is getting way, way old.
  20. JileneL
    Sep 20, 2006
    Funny and gets better and better!
  21. NancyH
    Sep 20, 2006
    Pilot was outstanding--quite the surprise that it sends up TV--like NBC(S). Great pace and writing. Am not a fan of Matthew Perry's but he's actually right for this role. The most unbelievable character is Amanda Peet--yes, she's confident and daring but the script didn't give us any hints as to how she is this way so young and so assured. Or is she just winging it? Pilot was outstanding--quite the surprise that it sends up TV--like NBC(S). Great pace and writing. Am not a fan of Matthew Perry's but he's actually right for this role. The most unbelievable character is Amanda Peet--yes, she's confident and daring but the script didn't give us any hints as to how she is this way so young and so assured. Or is she just winging it? Hope it develops her character more. Bravo, Expand
  22. BlakeP
    Sep 29, 2006
    wounderful show!
  23. LitaB.
    Nov 7, 2007
    Although Aaron Sorkin has a weird take on the Brits (who doesn't? Mad, bad, interbred snobs the lot of us) speaking as one of them I have loved everthing he has written from the opening moments of Sports Night to the last second of Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip.
  24. Rebecca
    Jul 8, 2007
    every second was worth watching... !
  25. MarinaT
    Oct 8, 2008
    One of the best shows I've ever seen with terrific actors and a great script.
  26. BrianM
    Oct 11, 2006
    I don't get it. The show is a TV show about a TV show. They give us nothing to relate to since iit to "insider" that most people don't understand or care about the show. The show is a SNL format (not new), the characters are not relatable. And the story line is the same. Crisis to write the show, personal melododrama (same thing over and over). I like the cast. The premise and I don't get it. The show is a TV show about a TV show. They give us nothing to relate to since iit to "insider" that most people don't understand or care about the show. The show is a SNL format (not new), the characters are not relatable. And the story line is the same. Crisis to write the show, personal melododrama (same thing over and over). I like the cast. The premise and writing sucks. It is West Wing Meets SNL. Both of which have outlived their cleverness. The only bright spot was Kristine Lahti in a tight dress. Expand
  27. PerryY
    Nov 1, 2006
    I can't believe all the comments coming from those giving low scores. Sorkin's shows have always highlighted their characters to be the best at what they do and how smart they are and this show is no different. The witty one liners are consistent and entertaining. The scale is clearly different than running a country, but within the scope of running a sketch show, it is just right.
  28. DeniseMarieK
    Oct 1, 2006
    very very smart amanda peet's character is wonderful the new power is ...smart with humor
  29. JohnH
    Oct 10, 2006
    Best new program, clearly. I'm curious why NBC put it opposite CSI Miami, though. Hope NBC doesn't get skittish, they have nothing better.
  30. NikyH
    Oct 1, 2006
    This show is clever, funny and brings and excellent observation on what television has become, a must see.
  31. RickC.
    Oct 1, 2006
    Gave this show 3 episodes to convince me. Hate to say that I hope this doesn't stick around. I'm a big Matthew Perry fan, but ... this show doesn't work on many levels. The dialog is sometimes too smart for itself, and the scenes ot the skits are almost cringe-worthy in terms of how unfunny and amateuristic they appear . Even SNL at its worst would never have such formulaic Gave this show 3 episodes to convince me. Hate to say that I hope this doesn't stick around. I'm a big Matthew Perry fan, but ... this show doesn't work on many levels. The dialog is sometimes too smart for itself, and the scenes ot the skits are almost cringe-worthy in terms of how unfunny and amateuristic they appear . Even SNL at its worst would never have such formulaic garbage as the "Nicolas Cage Show" and the golfer sketch performed in the third episode. Even the choice of guests on the show doesn't seem real ... Gwen Stefani and *Rob Reiner*? Rob REINER? This show is supposed to be happening in current time (according to the "Iraq War" bits)...so why get someone so anachronistic as Rob Reiner? Was Phyllis Diller unavailable? At least Stefani is relevant in this century. I tired very easily of the Jordan and Jack dynamic, and the same for the 'chemistry' between Danny and Matt. As for Simon and Tom I still don't care about them at all after three episodes. The Harriet character seems to be either too much of an in-joke or an easy target. Speaking of targets, how many times do we have to hear about "the Christian Right". Do the writers in this show have a competition to see how many times that term can be used between the 'skit' scenes and the 'real scenes'? They seem to be running at a dead heat, and the end result is me getting bored and switching off. I knew "Sport Night" and "West Wing" and this is neither. Unfortunately Matt will be joining most of his other "Friends" looking for work soon, i think. Expand
  32. JohnF
    Oct 1, 2006
    Probably the worst new show this year. No one is interested in another liberal show, especially one about SNL. What a yawner. SNL is dead and making a show about the making of that snoozer does not make good tv.
  33. jj
    Oct 16, 2006
    I couldn't be a bigger fan of The West Wing - I thought it was the best show ever written, acted and directed. Accordingly, I couldn't be a bigger fan Aaron Sorkin or Tommy Schlamme - and ditto that for many of the Studio 60 cast members, as well. That being my experience, I am extremely surprised to find the Studio 60 script so unfocused, with so little cohesive driving force I couldn't be a bigger fan of The West Wing - I thought it was the best show ever written, acted and directed. Accordingly, I couldn't be a bigger fan Aaron Sorkin or Tommy Schlamme - and ditto that for many of the Studio 60 cast members, as well. That being my experience, I am extremely surprised to find the Studio 60 script so unfocused, with so little cohesive driving force behind the plot. If "elevate the level of television programming" is to be the driving plotline - where is the example? If "Matt" and "Harriet" are the leading couple, and they've already played out the break-up phase, the reunion phase, the let's-be-professional phase, and the nostalgic phase... what's left? If Bradley Whitford's character is going to be aloof, wise-alecky and cool the whole time, he'll end up a less textured version of Josh Lyman. And if the show has set up "the writer" "the director" and "the leading lady" as brilliant, razor-sharp, and extraordinarily talented, then, where is the funny? Is it possible that Aaron Sorkin et al may have set themselves up? The slam-bang intro seemed to promise some seriously funny, envelope-pushing sketch comedy and a new era of t.v. programming. Besides the opening monologue/rant and the "re-worked' Gilbert & Sullivan, what's been clever, edgy, thought-provoking, or laugh-out-loud? Expand
  34. JLitten
    Oct 10, 2006
    Aaron Sorkin makes a triumphant return to television!
  35. timg
    Oct 20, 2006
    finally! A TV show where the writing is important.
  36. Ruby
    Oct 23, 2006
    Outstanding! Studio 60 exudes wit, humor, style that I've come to expect from Aaron Sorkin. Keep it coming.
  37. PatJ
    Oct 26, 2006
    Great, mature writing. Love that it's not "dumbed down".
  38. PaulaB
    Oct 31, 2006
    I know it's not fair to compare West Wing to Studio 60,but West Wing had me on the first episode. I'm still wating.
  39. angelaa
    Oct 30, 2006
    I love this show. And I wish everyone would give it a chance before saying they should pull it.
  40. eDeeB
    Oct 30, 2006
    I love this show. Finally NBC has done something right! I'm addicted.
  41. CarlC
    Oct 3, 2006
    Brilliant! Almost perfect
  42. Jackie
    Oct 3, 2006
    This show is great. The actors have great chemistry together and I love Matthew Perry.
  43. JoeBob
    Oct 4, 2006
    I've watched all of Sorkin's stuff; The American President, A Few Good Men, etc. , the show Sports Night and all of his West Wing material - I'm undoubtedly a fan. 'West Wing' was Sorkin at his best; but even then, it gets old fast - all of his characters - ALL OF THEM, are basically the same. All witty, quick, confident characters that are 'the best at what I've watched all of Sorkin's stuff; The American President, A Few Good Men, etc. , the show Sports Night and all of his West Wing material - I'm undoubtedly a fan. 'West Wing' was Sorkin at his best; but even then, it gets old fast - all of his characters - ALL OF THEM, are basically the same. All witty, quick, confident characters that are 'the best at what they do' - you could drop a character from 'A Few Good Men' into Sunset Strip and you'd barely notice the descrepency. Add four or five points to my score if you are not familiar with any of Sorkin's material as 'Sunset Strip' isn't a bad show if you're unawares of this type of dramedy. If you have seen some of his other stuff, well, it's hard to tolerate this show. Sorkin is a master of intelligent, sarcastic dialogue - but 'Sunset Strip' revolves around an SNL look-a-like... so when the plot forces Sorkin's hand on showing a 'funny skit' in the plot (and the plot requires the skit to be funny as they are selling the main characters as masters of writing good comedy skits) it really turns out to be something closer to a transparent pretensiousness on behalf of Sorkin and the show's characters. Basically, if you've seen the first couple of seasons of the West Wing, you've seen the best of Sorkin - this is just character and plot recycling in an awkward package. Expand
  44. HelenE
    Oct 4, 2006
    Seems to be written for more intelligent tv viewers. Very quick pace and likable characters.
  45. EdG
    Oct 5, 2006
    I suffered through this show twice. It is terrible. What show were the critics watching??
  46. jimbobsunshine
    the bomb !
  47. MariaK
    Oct 6, 2006
    Pretentious and ridiculously self-indulgent. Enough already.
  48. PattyS
    Oct 7, 2006
    Fast, smart, witty, focused, gives the feeling of being there. I am truly hoping that this show remains on NBC's play list because Perry and Whtiford are a duo to be reckoned with.
  49. PaulM
    Oct 8, 2006
    This show hs two main problems: It's modeled after "The West Wing" and it's very preachy. The characters are filled with the self importance of a staff that's running the country, not one that's in charge of a comedy show. You would think that making weekly comedy skits would be a fun job, but all of the characters seem to be suffering from angst and anxiety. This show hs two main problems: It's modeled after "The West Wing" and it's very preachy. The characters are filled with the self importance of a staff that's running the country, not one that's in charge of a comedy show. You would think that making weekly comedy skits would be a fun job, but all of the characters seem to be suffering from angst and anxiety. They're fearful of repercussions from poking fun at the Bush Administration. Why? We live in an open society and the republicans are criticized nightly by Leno, Letterman, Stewart, and O"Brien. The gestapo hasn't knocked on any of their doors. And what's the obsession with Christians? The attempts to make them seem uptight and foolish is not very subtle. What will happen if you mock the evangelicals or the Pope? Maybe a nun will ring your doorbell and rap you on the knuckles with a ruler, but I doubt it. On the othetr hand, if you did a skit about Muslims...... Expand
  50. richardd
    Oct 9, 2006
    The smartest, best written show on tv. Bradley Whitford and Mathew Perry have terrific chemistry and each one shows deft comedic timing. Amanda Peet once again shows that she has the brains to go toe to toe with bigger stars. Tivo it and watch it twice! Like other Sorkin creations, you never get it all in just one viewing.
  51. BenA
    Sep 16, 2006
    Funny and Intelligent. Cast is amazing. Love it.
  52. GlenA
    Sep 17, 2006
    Clearly Sorkin. The fluid shooting style of West Wing, snappy dialog and playful characters. This might be enough to get me to watch TV again.
  53. David
    Sep 18, 2006
    Best New Fall Show of the season, possibly the best show on tv. Another great hit from Aaron Sorkin, creator of The West Wing.
  54. JimK.
    Sep 18, 2006
    Just because the Sorkin name is attached, doesn't automatically give it the stamp of brilliance. Sorkin, a devout Mamet thief, has found a milieu in a time when there are a billion other ways to spew his "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" diatribes, has chosen the least interesting, least inventive and least incidiary way to skewer the world at large. At least with the West Wing, we as a Just because the Sorkin name is attached, doesn't automatically give it the stamp of brilliance. Sorkin, a devout Mamet thief, has found a milieu in a time when there are a billion other ways to spew his "Mr. Smith Goes to Washington" diatribes, has chosen the least interesting, least inventive and least incidiary way to skewer the world at large. At least with the West Wing, we as a nation were riveted by goverment, and he took that excitement and made it sexy. This show is not sexy, insightful or surprising. It is just bad and boring. Really? A plot point based on whether or not a character can get bonded? My fear is that it sounds smart, so people with think it's smart, and, thanks to Schlamme... it looks smart (the show looks amazing). I loved Sports Night and West Wing, but this just isn't worth squat. Expand
  55. C.Cotton
    Sep 19, 2006
    I went in not wanting to like this show and to my surprise I did. I liked the pace and the dialogue. I hope it can maintain the momentum of the pilot episode.
    Sep 19, 2006
    just saw the pilot on monday. never watched west wing but i did watch "sports night" and there are alot of similarities. the first episode of studio 60 was funny, interesting, had a bunch of very good characters, and most importantly, made me not able to wait for the second episode.
  57. KristaR
    Sep 19, 2006
    Fabulous! Fast, witty -- true Sorkin style. Peet, Perry and Whitford were great!
  58. Cathy
    Sep 19, 2006
    I think this show has a lot of potential to be a great series. The pilot although somewhat sketchy at times kept me interested and wanting to come back next week. Matthew Perry and Bradley Whitford already have the chemistry to be a very dynamic duo.
  59. MarkZ
    Sep 19, 2006
    Well worth the wait... my favorite new show so far this season.
  60. MattJ
    Sep 19, 2006
    Too obvious in showing its agenda. The acting was good, but it came across too preachy.
  61. RobC
    Sep 20, 2006
    The "mad as hell" takeoff was a nice touch, but the first ep went downhill from there, with more of the same overwritten Sorkin dialog. There's nothing fresh here, just another rant platform. I was hoping for the next Great Leap Forward, but alas, this ain't it.
  62. JennyR
    Sep 22, 2006
    I love all of the main charicters, and to story line is funny, but also serious. The balance of both is good. I hope it keeps going I really like it. Matthew Perry is really good in his part I was very impressed with him!
  63. SCline
    Sep 24, 2006
    Thank God for Aaron Sorkin.
  64. MattB
    Sep 25, 2006
    Boring with a captial B. The show has a West Wing feel to it , good or bad I don't know, but I thought overall it was quite a snooze. And No it wasn't too quick or difficult to follow, it was just boring.
  65. DaveW
    Sep 26, 2006
    A solid show. Funny in an intellectual kind of way...those who need the laugh track of a sitcom to tell them when to chuckle probably won't appreciate this show. So I'm guessing it'll be cancelled pretty soon. Too bad.
  66. BrianC
    Sep 26, 2006
    Personally think it's the best Programme on TV at the moment, quality, multi-layered storylines that rarely bore, still has a long way to go, but so far has me hooked
  67. bigk
    Sep 29, 2006
    Phoney from beginning to end. The Sportsnight/West Wing dialog style just iritates the hell out of me. I didn't buy the premise at all, and by the time the pilot was done, so was I. Time to watch the last episode of The Wire on my TIVO. If only this mess was half as good as it is!
  68. Gmartinez
    Sep 20, 2006
    A great new show. But why the reference (in a casual, derogatory manner, to " Jesus Christ as your personal savior..."? and the shtick about Pat Robertson and his " faithful who have nothing but their faith to hold on to.." as they huddle in their single wide trailers. (My edit.) Shame, shame.
  69. AmberF
    Jan 23, 2007
    I am enjoying the developement of the characters each week. Great to see Matthew Perry back on my TV screen. The entire cast compliments each other.
  70. JoaoM
    Feb 2, 2007
    Aaron Sorkin creates another all-time classic with he fast and intelligent writting, and besides that, looks like he made the impossible: make a serie better than The West Wing, if this show doesn't win the Emmy for Best drama, writing and directing, it will be sure that the world is in serious problems.
  71. IrfanB
    Feb 26, 2007
    Great show! Needs to trim down the romantic sub-plots a bit.
  72. lauren
    Feb 7, 2007
    I can't help it, I love this show. Yes, it's pretentious and self-righteous, snarky and a bit obnoxious. Yes, Sorkin tends to write women as seemingly-strong-but-really-just-damsels-in-distress, each waiting for her respective prince charming to come save her from her own ambition. But it's also funny, and charming in spite of itself. Mathew Perry manages to retain his I can't help it, I love this show. Yes, it's pretentious and self-righteous, snarky and a bit obnoxious. Yes, Sorkin tends to write women as seemingly-strong-but-really-just-damsels-in-distress, each waiting for her respective prince charming to come save her from her own ambition. But it's also funny, and charming in spite of itself. Mathew Perry manages to retain his trademark sarcasm without ever reminding us of That Other Guy He Used to Play. The casting is brilliant (though I may be the only one not jumping on the Sarah Paulson train), and if nothing else, we all oew the show a great deal for introducing the world to the adoreable Nate Corddry. Please NBC, don't give up on the one thing that makes me look forward to Mondays! Expand
  73. mandab
    Mar 14, 2007
    love it!! i wish they would put it back on the air, its killing me not getting to watch what happens next
  74. KalvinJ
    Mar 4, 2007
    Entertaining, but seriously needs to cut back on the romantic subplots and back to the reality of producing a late night comedy show.
  75. dalee.
    May 27, 2007
    failed to to keep my attention
  76. CindyW.
    Jun 27, 2007
    My favorite show on television... if only NBC would keep it on.
  77. christianp.
    Jul 2, 2007
    What a shame that this was canceled. This show is a modern calssic through and through. Wonderfully written and acted, it is so rare that something like this comes along. RIP.
  78. BrookeM.
    Aug 18, 2007
    LOVE this show, cannot believe when I heard it might be going off the air!!
  79. Fred
    Sep 17, 2007
    The best is canceled but reality TV lives. My vote is for the best (Studio 60) but the rest, Reality TV lives on. Oh well the TV Gods don't want my vote.
  80. XinL
    Mar 23, 2008
    I really wish they would have made this show more drama than comedy. always a matthew perry fun, and he's doing the job alright.
  81. MatteoW.
    Mar 30, 2008
    Just Brilliant.
  82. annas
    Oct 11, 2006
    I would have rated this show 1 or 2, but went to zero because all the hype around the Sorkin return set me up for a big disappointment. This show is pretentious --and amateurish in a way I can't quite put my finger on. Are the critics in on a big joke by raving about the show? Hve they watched a special Critic's Version? I don't get the love or this show at. all. Worst show I would have rated this show 1 or 2, but went to zero because all the hype around the Sorkin return set me up for a big disappointment. This show is pretentious --and amateurish in a way I can't quite put my finger on. Are the critics in on a big joke by raving about the show? Hve they watched a special Critic's Version? I don't get the love or this show at. all. Worst show I've seen of the new season. Expand
  83. JK
    Oct 10, 2006
    Eggscellent - I just hope it doesn't get cancelled!
  84. dlouloudes
    Nov 14, 2006
    I love this show, it's witty, it's riveting with great cgharacters.
  85. LauraA
    Nov 1, 2006
    This is absolutely the best show on TV. Smart, funny, moving - story line makes me want the next weeks episode to come fast. LOVE it!
  86. AndyW
    Nov 23, 2006
    Literate and funny script. Great acting and direction. Social commentary. Believable relationships. It's got it all.
  87. AMorris
    Oct 14, 2006
    I was prepared to love this show. I looked forward to it more than I have to any show in a long time. By episode three, I found my attraction has turned to complete aversion. It's not that I don't 'get' the TV setting and in jokes. Being on the fringe of the business, I don't find them out of reach at all. For the most part it's that Sorkin has once again I was prepared to love this show. I looked forward to it more than I have to any show in a long time. By episode three, I found my attraction has turned to complete aversion. It's not that I don't 'get' the TV setting and in jokes. Being on the fringe of the business, I don't find them out of reach at all. For the most part it's that Sorkin has once again chosen TV as his pulpit. The sanctimonious attitude he shows towards anyone who may not share his political and moral beliefs is inexcusable. I can listen to people who disagree with me, I can appreciate other opinions, but to be incessantly pepperred with statements that imply I am stupid and ignorant for what I believe is not going to make me watch this show. It's just not good enough. Add to this some truly ridiculous conceits and the score I can give this drops even lower. Question. When was the last time Saturday Night Live was remotely intellectual, highbrow, intriguing, cutting edge, or even -funny-? I can't remember either. And yet here we are, presented with a show within a show that we are supposed to believe is all these things? I did -so- enjoy the scenes where the producers/writers/various others were discussing how the audience just didn't 'get' the skits. It was charming when Amanda Peet's character insulted the focus group, that really impressed me. Yes, Studio 60, a show based on SNL, is supposedly intellectual entertainment folks. Only smart, savvy people can understand it. Sorkin, you're such a blowhard. Your agenda is as greasy and obvious as a 16 year old pizza boy's oily face. Expand
  88. Sean
    Oct 16, 2006
    How can anyone not like this show?
  89. MaryD
    Oct 16, 2006
    I tried to like this show, I really tried. After 3 episodes I just couldn't take anymore. It's boring and self-important. I don't care about the characters, although I thought Matthew Perry has done a good job of acting. The Christian right is such an easy (and over-done) target. If they want to push a real envelope - why not take a shot at intolerent Muslims. You know, the I tried to like this show, I really tried. After 3 episodes I just couldn't take anymore. It's boring and self-important. I don't care about the characters, although I thought Matthew Perry has done a good job of acting. The Christian right is such an easy (and over-done) target. If they want to push a real envelope - why not take a shot at intolerent Muslims. You know, the one's calling for death to all infidels? Oh, not that brave? So much safer to mock Christians. In the end, though, I'm pulling the plug because this show is not dramatically interesting, nor funny. Expand
  90. ChristinaA
    I love this show.
  91. John_K
    Oct 17, 2006
    This show is the best thing on TV.
  92. DMor
    Oct 17, 2006
    got stale rapidly from the second episode on.
  93. NancyJ
    Nov 8, 2006
    This is my favorite new show! The writing and acting are incredible!
  94. SlotkinsQ
    Nov 8, 2006
    The negative reviews accuse Studio 60 of "taking itself too seriously," but I say thank goodness. I'm tired of watching DUMBED DOWN shows that refuse to takes themselves seriously. Please, just leave us AT LEAST on smart show that's not from BBC!
  95. HopefulViewer
    Oct 19, 2006
    Loved West Wing, love Sorkin, this show....ew. Lots of interesting potential, really like Amanda Peet's character. But a big part of the show is caring about the relationship between Matthew Perry and his ex, and there's no way I can care about her. She's just...flat. Absolutely flat. So I don't have much hope for this show lasting, which is a shame.
  96. benjaminn
    Oct 20, 2006
    gave it three episodes, went straight downhill. The problem is it takes itself so seriously that when you couple fake drama with serious soundtrack you end up finding yourself caring about the problems these characters are dealing with. Then you realize the stupidity of what their dealing with and feel even stupider for caring at all. It is so obvious and deliberate that the dialogue gave it three episodes, went straight downhill. The problem is it takes itself so seriously that when you couple fake drama with serious soundtrack you end up finding yourself caring about the problems these characters are dealing with. Then you realize the stupidity of what their dealing with and feel even stupider for caring at all. It is so obvious and deliberate that the dialogue makes no sense when you really listen. In the second episode they are talking about some reference to italian comedy and how some woman thought it was french comedy. Oh how stupid that woman was, didn't she know the difference between comedy from italy and french comedy. doesn't everyone! thats how every piece of dialogue feels. its like these people are way to smart for there own good. and that would work in another themed show, but this is sopposed to be about a sketch comedy show. einstiens don't work in sketch comedy, chris farley, john belushi, thats what we are looking for. stupid drunk , drug addicts with real problems, not whether they are allowed to make fun of christians. it seems that every character lives and breathes this show. when in reality these people party real hard and have to deal with paying rent alcholism mental problems. i'm done, i'll take friday night lights over this any day. Expand
  97. BrandiP
    Dec 16, 2006
    Amazing cast...I can't wait for Monday to come around so I can see it again.
  98. crystalh
    Oct 23, 2006
    This is a GREAT new show! Give it a chance, it's something different for once.
  99. carrif
    Dec 4, 2006
    this is the smartest show on tv right now. the dialog is constantly brilliant. i'm shocked at how great matthew perry is.....sorkin has done it - again!
  100. VicC
    Oct 24, 2006
    I'm amazed at any negative comments or ratings, I think the show is thought provoking while still being very entertaining. I've been captivated. Very well done.

1. There are more than a few well-made dramas this season, but "Studio 60" -- with its intelligent dialogue, ironic humor, brilliant acting and Schlamme's inspired direction -- lays claim to being the most exciting new show of the season.
  2. Sorkin brings the same intensity and political sensibilities to the story.
  3. Here's hoping that the strong whiff of sanctimony in the pilot of "Studio 60" is blown away by fresh air in future episodes.