• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 28, 2011
  • Season #: 1 , 2 , 3
7.4

1. Mar 26, 2012
    The best thing about the show is that main character is very good and her Dad, friend Lisa and Alan Tudyk's character are good too. Dallas the neighbor sometimes varies between a completely shallow, detestable **** and someone slightly more normal and likable from episode to episode but she fits her purpose well. The episodes are a bit hit and miss when it comes to being funny but it doesThe best thing about the show is that main character is very good and her Dad, friend Lisa and Alan Tudyk's character are good too. Dallas the neighbor sometimes varies between a completely shallow, detestable **** and someone slightly more normal and likable from episode to episode but she fits her purpose well. The episodes are a bit hit and miss when it comes to being funny but it does have a bit of that factor some comedies like HIMYM have where even if an episode is less funny its still good because of the characters. I think its really one of those shows where you have to be able to relate to it (have lived in the suburbs) to fully enjoy it. Expand
  2. Sep 29, 2011
    The show is very well-executed (cleverly cast, written, and directed), but I question whether it's worth executing in the first place. For the past 60 years, films, books, plays, songs, and TV shows have satirized the conformity and superficiality of suburbia, so most of us get the point already, thanks, and need a pretty compelling reason to revisit such well-trodden (albeit beautifullyThe show is very well-executed (cleverly cast, written, and directed), but I question whether it's worth executing in the first place. For the past 60 years, films, books, plays, songs, and TV shows have satirized the conformity and superficiality of suburbia, so most of us get the point already, thanks, and need a pretty compelling reason to revisit such well-trodden (albeit beautifully landscaped) ground. I had hoped the participation of Jeremy Sisto might signal a genuinely fresh and edgy take on the subject, but, no, here we are again in the rhinoplastic land we know so well, where no one walks, all housewives are horny, the mall is the promised land, and it's too damn quiet in the morning. Our requisite city-slicker witnesses alternate anthropological dispassion with horrified revulsion, and the only new element is not a good one: a final, sentimental acknowledgment that, sometimes, beneath suburbia's plastic breasts, beats a real heart. No, I'm not making that up, and, yeah, I cringed, too. On the plus side, there are some pitch-perfect caricatures, such as a salon-groomed mom singing bad*ss gangsta lyrics in the family sedan, and the show has an exuberant visual style, with bright colors and clever choreography. The leads are charming, and, though I'm not that interested in charm by itself, I suspect it may win the show enough fans to keep it afloat--at least until they realize that they have been in "Suburgatory" before and might actually prefer hell. Expand
  3. Oct 20, 2011
    The big downside to this new ABC series, though difficult to notice, is that the plot is whole idea of it is tediously shallow. Otherwise, SUBURGATORY (which is a portmanteau of "suburbia" and "purgatory", in case you were wondering) is a pretty funny show.

It may seem odd that I, a male human, am watching and reviewing what has become stereotyped as a "chick show" (the televised equivalent to a "chick flick"). Personally, I must say that that stereotype is garbage. A man turns the TV on; this show is on; that person sees mascara and hears the stereotyped (a stereotype within a stereotype!) "girl talk"; he immediately says, "Chick show," and hits the "power" button. That's not how it should be: with all the humor this show does have, the male gender, by doing that, is truly missing out.

It's admissible that this does have some predictable and generic sitcom humor. Sitcoms have devolved drastically from the way they were back in the times of ALL IN THE FAMILY or, for a later example, THE SIMPSONS. But without giving this any extra tolerance of any sort, this was a solid way for starting a new television series, and I hope it continues for longer than just a season.
  4. Oct 20, 2011
    This show is HILARIOUS. I fell in love with this show from the very first 5 min of the first episode. Ive lived in the suburbs my whole life, and although some of the stereotypes are a bit exaggerated at times, this is still exactly like modern day suburbia. I love this show and I cant wait for the rest of this season, definitely makes a wednsday better. Definite 10/10
  5. Oct 19, 2011
    I really do like this. It's a nice concept and it's carried out very well. Jane Levy is great and Cheryl Hines is always fantastic. A great show for those interested.
  6. May 30, 2014
    Sad to see it cancelled. Was it the best tv show? No. Was it the funniest? No. But it had something and something was heart. Sure the characters were caricatures of real-life people, but that's the point of the show, isn't it? It's suburban satire.
  7. Apr 26, 2012
    Led by a great performance from Jane Levy Suburgatory manages to be one of the freshest, and most delightful comedies of the year. A show to look out for.
  8. Jun 22, 2013
    While the concept of the show is may not be very unique, it certainly does deliver in acting (casting), jokes, and is one of the few sitcoms with a clear development, instead of a random funny episode each week which does not link with last week's episode.
  9. Nov 1, 2011
    Having initially overlooked this show when scanning the listings for new shows to watch this year, i'm glad i came back and gave it a chance. I'm not a big fan of voice overs but i think this show would probably miss it if it was taken out.
  10. Aug 4, 2012
    I wasn't a fan of the premise of this show - it didn't make sense that a single father would move his daughter out of the city because he found an unopened packet of condoms and into the suburbs where everything seems overly sexualised. I cannot stand Tessa, she's just as shallow as Dalia but at least Dalia's honest about it - Tessa just walks around believing she's better than everyoneI wasn't a fan of the premise of this show - it didn't make sense that a single father would move his daughter out of the city because he found an unopened packet of condoms and into the suburbs where everything seems overly sexualised. I cannot stand Tessa, she's just as shallow as Dalia but at least Dalia's honest about it - Tessa just walks around believing she's better than everyone else in Chatswin. I stop watching Suburgatory, it will be because of Jane Levy and Tessa Expand
  11. Oct 5, 2011
    Quickly becoming the best new comedy on ABC's fall lineup. Shows like this don't last long, hopefully this one gets a chance to grow. Funny, clever, and tongue-in-cheek.
  12. Oct 4, 2011
    Very funny pilot. One of the few good new shows of this new fall season. The Jane Levy girl is one to watch, she was great last year on Shameless. Also was interesting to see Jeremy Sisto in this type of role. Also Cheryl Hines was very funny as a plastic blonde. Will keep watching
  13. Sep 28, 2011
    Pretty hilarious so far. What I consider a fresh story, father (George) and daughter (Tessa) pack up and move to suburbia after dad finds condoms in daughters night stand. It's Mean Girls-esque in the way that Tessa is a fairly normal city girl surrounded by plastic people. Only instead of a couple girls it's pretty much the entire town. Good lines, good characters and hopefully a good future.
  14. Nov 11, 2011
    I like the show it's pretty good & it helps to pass time while I'm waiting for #Revenge to come on. I like the cast & the different story lines. I like the sarcasm of the main character & the irony of it all.
  15. May 29, 2013
    My friend introduced me to this after she stumbled upon it, and while initially skeptical, I was hooked after a couple episodes. I think we ended up watching most of the first season in one night! While not mind-blowing, I found this show to be surprisingly fresh. The characters are hilarious in their own ways, and once you get to know them, they become rather sympathetic as well. Best ofMy friend introduced me to this after she stumbled upon it, and while initially skeptical, I was hooked after a couple episodes. I think we ended up watching most of the first season in one night! While not mind-blowing, I found this show to be surprisingly fresh. The characters are hilarious in their own ways, and once you get to know them, they become rather sympathetic as well. Best of all, it keeps you laughing. All in all, probably the best sitcom I've seen since Big Bang Theory. Expand
  16. Apr 3, 2013
    Ms.Levy carries this show for me. Her character is just smart enough, just plain enough and just cool enough. The stereotypes of her classmates, especially Dahlia, are hilarious. Also nice to see the always-winning Ana Gasteyer back at work.

My only cavil: This series is so obviously shot in SoCal. Why bother even trying to dupe any sentient viewer in to thinking this is Westchester? In a holiday show, there was snow on the ground and deciduous trees in the background. C'mon, are we THAT dumb?
  17. Sep 29, 2011
    I recorded the first episode last night based on critics review of 72. After watching it, I have to assume that this score with crash down once other critics chime in. This show was terrible. The jokes were pretty crass of the time slot and the position between the middle and modern family. Also, they just were not funny. The editing it choppy and the setup is lame. The best thing II recorded the first episode last night based on critics review of 72. After watching it, I have to assume that this score with crash down once other critics chime in. This show was terrible. The jokes were pretty crass of the time slot and the position between the middle and modern family. Also, they just were not funny. The editing it choppy and the setup is lame. The best thing I can compare it to is Cougar Town. If you like that, watch this.

If you like this type of humor, try Louise. Louise is vulgar, dark and crass, but is very funny. This show will not be around long if it does not get better.
  18. Dec 7, 2012
    Wow, much too high ratings here! Some episodes are really felicitious, but about 75% of them are a real failure. I like the way the creators are overstating, but you can't make a serious story out of all exaggerated characters. Some actors are better, some disappointed me a lot. The main thing for my low rating is, that this TV series calls itself a comedy series - but I laughed 2 timesWow, much too high ratings here! Some episodes are really felicitious, but about 75% of them are a real failure. I like the way the creators are overstating, but you can't make a serious story out of all exaggerated characters. Some actors are better, some disappointed me a lot. The main thing for my low rating is, that this TV series calls itself a comedy series - but I laughed 2 times perhaps, in all the 22 episodes. It gets boring and the main stories of the single episodes get dumber and dumber. I don't recommend you this series. The best thing here is definitely Ana Gasteyer - I don't like her character, but she's got a lot of scenes that make you smirk. Expand
  19. Jul 31, 2012
    I get such a kick out of this show. The two leads are very appealing, the satire can be surprisingly sharp-edged, and every episode or two there'll be a line so funny that you keep it with you long after you've reentered real life.
  20. Apr 8, 2013
    I generally do not like to get caught up in new television shows because I have other things to do; but I am now a practical hermit.
    Practically, but not really.
    Practically, but not really.
    Suburgatory is so damn fabulous! Emily Kapnik not only created this masterpiece of sitcom humor, but she also writes for it! Admittedly I am new to this paying attention to writers, directors, creators and such (not brand new but paying much more attention these days) but so far what I've surmised is that not all creators can be writers, and not all writers are creators; but when a creator also writes well for their vision it can go extremely well, as in the cases of '30 Rock' and 'West Wing' to name just two awesome creator/writer shows.
    The cast of characters feels perfect. You've got Jeremy Sisto as lovable single-"daddy" George Altman, and, in case anyone forgot, of 'The 60's' fame. Did anyone else watch that made-for-t.v. movie? I did..a lot. Many, many times. I'd watch the segments with Jeremy Sisto's character the most. Who wouldn't? Just LOOK at that guy!
    Then, of course who doesn't love Cheryl Hines as the most surprisingly lovable suburbanite 'Dallas Royce'? She is what I wish it would be like to live in the suburbs. There have GOT to be those people in the suburbs who really are awesome, right? Well who knows, but what we do know is that she is charming, stunning and just what we tom-boys-who-secretly-wanted-someone-to-take-us-on-an-even-more-secret-mani/pedi girls dreamed of. DISCLAIMER: I love my ma; a lot. I would not want to go on a mani/pedi with her simply because I don't think she'd be able to resist telling everyone both of us knew about the mind-melting event.
    Jane Levy as 'Tessa Altman' is just...well, I've never really cared about a sitcom actress quite as much. Mostly this is because almost exactly three days after my introduction to 'Suburgatory', my spouse and I went to see 'The Evil Dead' and guess, just guess, who starred in that movie? Jane Levy! It definitely gave her props in my mind and the more I watch, the more I can't wait to see her in a Woody Allen movie.
    Right alongside her co-actor Alan Tudyk. Another recent wonder I was introduced to was 'Serenity' and this also happened to be my introduction to Alan Tudyk or so I thought. Turns out this guy has been in so many things I've seen & I love finding that out!
    This thing will go WAY over the allotted 5000 characters if I don't stop here, but I cannot even begin to touch the greatness of this show. The rest of the cast is irreplaceable and I anticipate every season and the hilarity that will ensue.
  21. Sep 29, 2011
    Suburgatory is easily one of the best new comedies this year. Though it's a partial Easy A knock off, it's refreshing to see such a good comedy be produced this year. The cast is great, Jane Levy in particular, as Tessa, a sixteen year old who moves from Manhattan to the suburbs with her single father.
  22. Sep 29, 2011
    LOVED this show. Turned in based on the commercials and the great reviews and it totally delivered. Loved the humor and tone, but that it also had heart. What an amazing cast. Setting the dvr.
  23. Oct 29, 2011
    This is a really good show. It satirizes every aspect of the suburbia. However one question remains: for how long can it go on? I mean, there has to be eventually some point in the show where there is no aspect to be satirized. Right? Anyway. Until now, we have been given new, original stories and clever lines. Playing time of the show is half of the usual (40 min). That makes everythingThis is a really good show. It satirizes every aspect of the suburbia. However one question remains: for how long can it go on? I mean, there has to be eventually some point in the show where there is no aspect to be satirized. Right? Anyway. Until now, we have been given new, original stories and clever lines. Playing time of the show is half of the usual (40 min). That makes everything fly around. Together with the colours, point of views and context it makes this show very good. However: the stereotypes used are not funny for everyone. For me they were, :). Enjoy. Expand
  24. Jan 8, 2012
    Right now, I love the show, but I am not sure how long it will last. The show generates most of its humor through suburban stereotypes, but, at some point, the writers are going to have to find a way to generate more situational humor between the show's two main characters, Tessa and George, because they simply can't rely on suburban stereotypes forever. The other issue I have with theRight now, I love the show, but I am not sure how long it will last. The show generates most of its humor through suburban stereotypes, but, at some point, the writers are going to have to find a way to generate more situational humor between the show's two main characters, Tessa and George, because they simply can't rely on suburban stereotypes forever. The other issue I have with the future of the show is that there are only 3 (maybe 4, if you count Dallas) characters who aren't portrayed as naive, strange products of suburban life: Lisa, George, and Tessa, all three of which are too serious to generate significant humor between themselves. What I mean is that those 3 characters are very likable, but aren't too funny. The show's humor mainly comes from pointing out the stupidity and strangeness of other characters. A sitcom that relies solely on the stereotypes of people in the suburbs being elitist and naive as to what real life is like for humor won't last forever. Unless the show adds one or two characters whom are likable AND funny, it won't last 3 seasons.

To summarize it: I LOVE the show right now, but the writers are going to need a new way to create humor before viewers lose interest in watching the same suburban stereotypes week after week.
  25. Mar 13, 2012
    Wonderful storyline with light hearted comedy, I really enjoy this show. All the characters speak for themselves. Expecting more episodes this season....
  26. Mar 21, 2012
    I really enjoy watching this show and I love the cast. It is funny and follows a good storyline without too much drama. I immediately fell in love with it from the first time I watched it. Also it is easy to follow even if you have not watched from the beginning. I hope it stays around.
  27. Jul 21, 2012
    The season starts off great! Pretty funny and fresh, but then late into the season, it seems to lose its spark and is almost a struggle to get through an episode.
  28. Sep 8, 2013
    This is an excellent show, it has a great cast, and the writing it's even better. It's funny, clever and more important, it's a fresh story. I must say Jane Levy does a remarkable job in here, along with Alan Tudyk.

1. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson
    Oct 6, 2011
    What Surburgatory lacks in novelty, it compensates for with a steady stream of gags, splashes of nuance (and nuance's vivid opposite), the comedic flow of Ana Gasteyer and Chris Parnell as the Altmans' neighbors, and an undercurrent of sweetness.
  2. Reviewed by: Mark A. Perigard
    Sep 28, 2011
    Sisto is surprisingly sweet as a befuddled dad. Everyone seems to want the next Emma Stone. Levy isn't there yet, but given time she might grow into a solid comic actress.
  3. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Sep 28, 2011
    The dialogue has a nice snap, the jokes come from just to the left of where you expect them to, and the players are all first-rate.