Surface : Season 1

• Series Premiere Date: Sep 19, 2005
8.7

1. mcolwell
    Jul 12, 2006
    Great Show Sci-Fi should pick it up, NBC needs to wake up,taking shows like this off is why its always last in the ratings.
  2. billl
    Jul 13, 2006
    cutting edge graphic's intruiging one of the best sci fi show to date
  3. TylerB.
    Jul 15, 2006
    the critics do take it to hard they probably dont even watch the show. It makes me mad because I wanted to know what happens in the 2nd season but the stupid critics ruined it.
  4. BrianL
    Jul 17, 2006
    While the show does lack a little bit in the acting department, I still "like" the characters in that I actually kinda care what happens to them. Thats hard to do especially given the wild story line (which is the main strength of the show). It is cheesy. It has cheep thrills. But neither of those comments are meant to be negative. Its not trying to be a serious movie, its a sci fi While the show does lack a little bit in the acting department, I still "like" the characters in that I actually kinda care what happens to them. Thats hard to do especially given the wild story line (which is the main strength of the show). It is cheesy. It has cheep thrills. But neither of those comments are meant to be negative. Its not trying to be a serious movie, its a sci fi action/suspense romp. I certainly hope they pick up a season 2. What I tell people about this show is that its like a good sci-fi novel. I can't wait to see the deeper motivations and corruption that spawned the monsters and.... is Rick's Bro Alive? Expand
  5. JennD
    Jul 26, 2006
    My favorite show last season! It's a shame NBC shot themselves in the foot by not keeping it!!
  6. ChrisB
    Jul 27, 2006
    NBC should be ashamed, This was the first show from NBC I actually watched and enjoyed tremendously. Please rethink your decision.
  7. SigridM
    Aug 15, 2006
    Great show
  8. LudeS
    Aug 16, 2006
    Please brings this show back!!!
  9. AmosL
    Aug 17, 2006
    i can't beleive the critics what the hell show are they looing at this show was great
  10. CarolinO
    Aug 21, 2006
    I rarely watch sci-fi shows. But this one I enjoyed and couldn't wait until the next one. I've been looking to see if it is this fall's lineup! Would very upset if it doesn't return. So......what ever happen to making the viewers happy?!
  11. MandyM
    Aug 22, 2006
    Please bring this show back! My husband and I will be extremely upset if not! We became addicted to the show the first time it aired.
  12. RenaM
    Aug 28, 2006
    Since the show apperently isn't comming back and som many people liked it so much they should come back w/ a move explaining what happened afterwards. It wouldn't be hard they left the story open enough to go back and explain a lot.
  13. MattU
    Aug 28, 2006
    Pretty entertaining. A little heavy on the Spielberg cloning, and I'm not crazy about the "ET phone home" story with the kid and his alien pet that the evil government is after, but the overall plot is moderately engaging. The so-called "science" is laughable (e.g. calling an egg-laying amphibian a "mammal"), but hey, it's Hollywood, right?
  14. isvarp
    Sep 16, 2006
    An imaginative and original show. BRING IT BACK!
  15. MichaelA
    Sep 26, 2006
    This show was one of the first TV series I could sit down and enjoy in about 5 years and trust me i've tried. It was original, innovative and though it didn't seem like it could have lasted longer tha none more season, another 15 episodes could have told the conclusion to the story. We missed out because the Winter Olympics hit, that like life is not fair. 30 episodes have This show was one of the first TV series I could sit down and enjoy in about 5 years and trust me i've tried. It was original, innovative and though it didn't seem like it could have lasted longer tha none more season, another 15 episodes could have told the conclusion to the story. We missed out because the Winter Olympics hit, that like life is not fair. 30 episodes have finished many of my fav. shows, Cowboy Bebop is one of them (yes its a cartoon but it didn't need 2000 episodes like the simpsons.) if anything a Mini-series event should finish out the conclusion. Expand
  16. SurfaceRulez
    Sep 27, 2006
    Surface was about all that was worth watching last season...
  17. ChristinaH
    Sep 28, 2006
    This is one of the best shows I have watched. The suspense was awesome you knew somethings were going to happen but you didn't know if it would turn out like you thought and it didn't. I really hate when networks cut a show after only a few episodes or even a year you leave people haning.
  18. WalterD
    Mar 24, 2007
    What happened with the show? It's over? Without disclosing the specimen origin's? It was a good show, with a very good argument, but it lost a lot when the scientist (i don't remember his name) was killed.
  19. RiannaY
    Nov 14, 2005
    You know what, I LIKE Miles, and I think his part makes the story line even more interesting.
  20. MillieH
    Nov 21, 2005
    What an interesting twist. I love this show.
  21. susan
    Nov 28, 2005
    This show has become ridiculous. Too bad, I love good sci-fi.
  22. JanetP
    Nov 29, 2005
    I love this program. It gets better and better each week. The best on tv!!
  23. ChrisL
    Nov 12, 2006
    Loved the show..one that I would rush home to see. Am very bummed it is cancelled. All my kids would actually sit and watch quietly for the full hour. Please bring it back!
  24. TroelsM
    Nov 27, 2009
    I loved this show, and was very dissapointed when they cancelled it.
  25. Oct 11, 2010
    Was never given a fair go. Greedy networks treating us fans with contempt. Just pull the plug with no closure. Again. Maybe it's just the shows I like.
  26. Jul 16, 2011
    this show is super fun and campy... all of you who don't like it obviously are just full of hate it like syfy original movie but marginally better cg and acting
    really solid "monster movie" score too just enjoy it fools!
  27. Apr 13, 2015
    This show is awful. Unfortunate because there might have been something there, but the writing and acting are so horrifying that the show is actually hard to watch.
  28. Sep 12, 2011
    I loved this show it is fun for the whole family. I can't believe the critics were so harsh. It's was a lot of fun to watch. I watched all 15 episodes in a two day marathon with my girlfriend. Very sad there is no season II
  29. Aug 23, 2013
    So you love science fiction? And your heart cries out for family-friendly heart warming sci-fi horror? Surface may just be what you're looking for. It's not good, though.
  30. Nov 11, 2011
    this web site defaults all reviews to 10 so that the first time one submits a review one might be surprised to discover that their review that identifies a lousy show gets a rating of 10.... silly way to structure the functionality
  31. Feb 2, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Long before creating The Event, the Pate brothers had another show on network TV, Surface. The premise of the show was different and I think people really would have gotten into it if not for the way the show was presented.

All over the world, people are suddenly seeing sea monsters. The United States Government tries to cover it up, passing the creatures off as a hoax, but that's not good enough for marine biologist, Laura Daughtry (Lake Bell), who is almost killed by one on a deep sea expedition. Together with a scuba expert, who lost his brother, they investigate these creatures, and try to prove just how real they are. At the same time, a young boy in suburban North Carolina has discovered a baby sea monster and has decided to train it and keep it as a pet, leading to some pretty funny and outrageous moments.

The way this show was presented was really strange and problematic. For 12 episodes, the series just runs around in circles, with the group trying to prove the existence of the mysterious creatures, the government trying to cover up the creatures existence, and this young boy who has decided to keep one as a pet. It isn't until episode 13 where things finally start to take shape. It takes 13 episodes before we even learn about the vast conspiracy behind the whole thing and that's when things really get interesting.

The sea creatures and special effects were cool, but I'd imagine that most people got bored with it after a few episodes, the way I did. Why not bring in this mysterious group and conspiracy sooner and add a little intrigue to the show? If they had, maybe people would have seen Surface as something more than a badly scripted show, hiding behind it's special effects.

Lake Bell, an actress I've never really liked, stars as the marine biologist, and was beyond fantastic. This could have easily been a career defining role for her, had the show lasted. Bell is paired with former child star, Jay Ferguson, who I would have been fine with if not for his awful and completely annoying New Orleans accent. Finally, the cast is rounded out by young Carter Jenkins, a kid who has made somewhat of a name for himself. After the excitement of the sea creatures and special effects wore off, it was Jenkins antics with little nimrod that kept the show watchable. Jenkins was terrific and if it wasn't for this angle of the show, I probably wouldn't have even made it to 13 episodes.

Surface was a show with potential, but the writers waited far to long to release their bombshells and conspiracies, leading to an audience that tuned out after a couple of episodes. Thankfully, the Pate brothers learned from their mistakes and came back with The Event, a terrific show that gained a cult following. While The Event didn't make the cut either, it was certainly much more enjoyable than Surface ever was.

It's a bland Spielberg wannabe that doesn't succeed in evoking much creepiness or wonder
    The most confusing ensemble drama of the new season.
    Though relentlessly ominous, "Surface" is, so far, only good for surface scares.