• Network: FOX
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 26, 2011
6.2

1. Oct 26, 2015
    I hate cheesy Americanised TV series like Xena, NCIS and the likes of those. This series has a lot of All American cheddar but the dinosaurs, great story and half decent acting actually made this really good. I enjoyed it so much that I watched the entire season in just three days!

So why only a 7? : The series was cancelled so no more to come. Massive shame as I would have definitely watched season 2!
  2. Apr 16, 2015
    It's a very good tv-show i think it"s one of the best i have watched since tower prep! You should check this show out it's on netflix so if you have a profile then watch it!
  3. Jul 9, 2014
    An interesting concept on the whole with some nice special effects and a decent story, but I can't help but feel that dinosaurs don't really go well on a TV series rather than a full-on film.
  4. Jul 7, 2014
    A show that started somewhat good turned to crap later in the season. Horrible acting, dialogue, and plot lines made this series a complete dud. Glad it was cancelled.
  5. May 16, 2013
    I missed this show when it first ran because I took a trip to the US but now that I've seen it I know I didn't miss too much. It started out OK but never really went anywhere, and even though it ended well it was left open for the second season that never came. I also didn't like the fact that the dinosaurs were pretty much irrelevant. Overall a decent show but nothing worth going out ofI missed this show when it first ran because I took a trip to the US but now that I've seen it I know I didn't miss too much. It started out OK but never really went anywhere, and even though it ended well it was left open for the second season that never came. I also didn't like the fact that the dinosaurs were pretty much irrelevant. Overall a decent show but nothing worth going out of the way to watch. Expand
  6. Feb 7, 2013
    Seeing as the premise for this show involved people travelling back in time to the age of the dinosaurs I wasn’t exactly expecting a drama series with the emotional depth of something like Breaking Bad or Mad Men. What I was expecting however was to be entertained (Spielberg was responsible for Jurassic Park after all!) unfortunately, despite all the pre-pilot hype, Terra Nova fails onSeeing as the premise for this show involved people travelling back in time to the age of the dinosaurs I wasn’t exactly expecting a drama series with the emotional depth of something like Breaking Bad or Mad Men. What I was expecting however was to be entertained (Spielberg was responsible for Jurassic Park after all!) unfortunately, despite all the pre-pilot hype, Terra Nova fails on almost every count. The much hyped special effects are almost laughable in places and are still leagues behind modern day big budget movies, or the 15 year old Jurassic Park for that matter, and the action sequences lack any tension or sense of danger. Add to this the fact that the characters are so clichéd, the dialogue so cheesy and the plotlines so incredibly dull that it is impossible to even begin to care about their plight and you have an example of what happens when TV goes wrong. Fortunately thanks to rapidly declining viewers in the US a second season now looks unlikely. Expand
  7. Jan 10, 2013
    This TV show is a think a bit OK....though it needs a polish in the editing and the Computer Graphics. The good is that the story is easy to follow but hard to understand. Just a change in CG and the voicing will make Season 2 better.
  8. Sep 23, 2012
    I was highly anticipating Tera Nova. Unfortunately, it fails to live up to the hype achieved by other action themed live action TV shows like "The Walking Dead". It was a good show while it lasted, but mainly, I just wanted to see more dinosaurs. I wanted something like "Jurassic Park" or "Walking with Dinosaurs" where there were dinosaurs wherever. It was still an okay show, it it needed work.
  9. Jul 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Where to begin with Terra Nova?
    I had hopes that it would be good, that for once a show that wants to push the envelope wouldn't suck as badly as this did. But I was sadly wrong, from the moment go I felt that familiar old tickle at the back of my neck that signals the big screw up in character writing-which for me usually destroys whatever I watch/read/listen to-in the character of Josh. I've got no problems with Landon Liboiron, the guy can act good, its just he was given a complete douche to act as ad it ruined the enjoyment of what is genuinely an interesting-if highly overused-premise.
    The story, well that ended up as very boring and flat, with only the Shannon family to allow soe tension.
  10. May 10, 2012
    Terra Nova had great writing great consistent character and a crazy amazing plot line! It was one of the few tv shows that really showed how a tv show can be produced well and seem like a movie through the whole series.
  11. Apr 10, 2012
    There's more to Terra Nova than meets the eye. A subtlely charming and enjoyable cast mixed with a cool new world that almost any age can appreciate and take part in is a rarity these days. Although it has been put on hold after one season, there's reason to bring this back. The only argument is whether they should try and keep the polish with so much post-production work or move to aThere's more to Terra Nova than meets the eye. A subtlely charming and enjoyable cast mixed with a cool new world that almost any age can appreciate and take part in is a rarity these days. Although it has been put on hold after one season, there's reason to bring this back. The only argument is whether they should try and keep the polish with so much post-production work or move to a more grit film style to breath more urgency into each episode. If this show gets another opportunity, it could easily grow into a mainstay series for several seasons. Expand
  12. Mar 18, 2012
    Terra Nova had potential to be a lot better than it was because of its good mythology/overall story arc, but instead of focusing on the mythology like it should have, until the end it stayed in the background and the bulk of the series was standard sci-fi filler episodes, with bog standard stories you've seen before in any Syfy show - someone gets murdered, someone gets a virus, they getTerra Nova had potential to be a lot better than it was because of its good mythology/overall story arc, but instead of focusing on the mythology like it should have, until the end it stayed in the background and the bulk of the series was standard sci-fi filler episodes, with bog standard stories you've seen before in any Syfy show - someone gets murdered, someone gets a virus, they get attacked by an unknown new creature. Its still decent though and started an interesting story for season 2 if it gets one on Netflix. Expand
  13. Feb 20, 2012
    This show is pretty good i liked it and it's deffinately worth trying out if your into scifi
  14. Feb 6, 2012
    Terra Nova is one of those shows where you love it and at other times, you hate it... and you'll hate it so much. The plot and premise was one of the most fascinating things about the show, and it did not deliver until it was way too late. There was a lot of wasted episodes... basically, out of the 13 episodes, only 4 of them even really amounted to anything worth while. Ironically, thoseTerra Nova is one of those shows where you love it and at other times, you hate it... and you'll hate it so much. The plot and premise was one of the most fascinating things about the show, and it did not deliver until it was way too late. There was a lot of wasted episodes... basically, out of the 13 episodes, only 4 of them even really amounted to anything worth while. Ironically, those episodes happened to be the first two and final two episodes.

It's also fairly difficult to make an emotional connection to any of the characters when you generally kinda hate them all save for a select few you can count with one hand. I'd recommend this show only if you're curious, otherwise, stick with the first two episodes and final two episodes, it'll be like watching a movie. Otherwise, you'll have a lot of filler in between the good stuff, and you'll hate yourself for watching it.
  15. Feb 3, 2012
    I've recently finished the last episode, and I thought I look after the release of the second season. I was flabbergasted when I saw the negative critics all over the net. But I don't understand why?! I'm not a big series fan to be honest. The last one I saw, was one and a half year ago; but for me, the only problem were the effects, because they were a bit unrealistic. Especially for theI've recently finished the last episode, and I thought I look after the release of the second season. I was flabbergasted when I saw the negative critics all over the net. But I don't understand why?! I'm not a big series fan to be honest. The last one I saw, was one and a half year ago; but for me, the only problem were the effects, because they were a bit unrealistic. Especially for the dinosaurs. On the other hand, the plot was excellent, the actors were likeable and the world was awesome. I really hope, they will continue this series, because the end of the last episode got me really excited. Expand
  16. Feb 2, 2012
    I can't believe I ever gave this a 7. Awful show. It was bad in every way possible...I think the worst part of it all was this one scene in the season 1 finale where the villain pointlessly shot a vegetarian dinosaur. I can just imagine the moron who wrote that scene. "Duhhhh.,...vegetarian dinosaurs are...like...nice. they look so friendly eating their leaves. I hear people reactI can't believe I ever gave this a 7. Awful show. It was bad in every way possible...I think the worst part of it all was this one scene in the season 1 finale where the villain pointlessly shot a vegetarian dinosaur. I can just imagine the moron who wrote that scene. "Duhhhh.,...vegetarian dinosaurs are...like...nice. they look so friendly eating their leaves. I hear people react to...like...bad stuff...let's have the villain shoot the vegetarian dinosaur. Yeah." Expand
  17. Jan 27, 2012
    Terrible terrible terrible. But I give it points for what it could have been, sans the script written by what seems like the folks from ABC Family. And it could have been so much more.
  18. Jan 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The premise seems good, as well as the special effects. That is all that seems good with Terra Nova. Bad and cheesy acting, Unmemorable characters and god, the very, very bad writing!

How were the angsty teenage kids able to sneak outside the gates when, apparently, a security camera has been focused on their exit point all along? Not to mention that they were even able to sneak out with a vehicle which the adults only accounted for when the plot demands it!
  19. Jan 8, 2012
    From the acting; to the writing; to the direction and special effects; Terra Nova is a cesspool of dreck that does not succeed in any aspect. It's a thinly disguised family drama centering around a family of five as they try and cope with life in 'the new world'. Luring you in with its promise of sci-fi and dinosaurs, Terra Nova quickly makes it obvious that they have neither the budgetFrom the acting; to the writing; to the direction and special effects; Terra Nova is a cesspool of dreck that does not succeed in any aspect. It's a thinly disguised family drama centering around a family of five as they try and cope with life in 'the new world'. Luring you in with its promise of sci-fi and dinosaurs, Terra Nova quickly makes it obvious that they have neither the budget nor inclination to provide anything of the sort. Expand
  20. Jan 4, 2012
    I love this show! I like the drama and the character relationships...I wouldn't have every watched it if my boyfriend wasn't so stubborn and kept bugging me to watch it, lol. In some ways similar to Lost BUT they actually explain things! You fall in love with the characters and their story. So what if it may not be "sci-fi" enough or the actors not perfect? It's a good story so that's that!
  21. Dec 29, 2011
    Terra Nova is a fun, family show that it pays to be seen. I think his greatest virtue is exactly the clichés.I do not want another "LOST". The series is simple, fun, with no great pretensions, and should not be tempted to have large overly complex scripts. Great series.
  22. Dec 26, 2011
    I think it's one of the best shows out there! i love it! It's very entertaining, you never know what is going to happen next. I think the qualitity of the show is actually pretty good..I love the dinosaurs and how it is written. At times i think the script is a little chessy, but not that bad. I hope there will be a season 2!
  23. Dec 21, 2011
    I've found this show to be amazing, much better than the crap that most people watch. It's not very often that a show really grabs my imagination and I for one am glad I took the time to watch this and very very hopeful of a second season being announced soon
  24. Dec 21, 2011
    Ah ! Ah ! 2012 is set in motion with coming Bermuda's triangle theories. Well, the show now moves forward at an interesting pace and is at last entertaining. Lets hope for the best in 2012
  25. Dec 20, 2011
    I really had to challenge myself to finish watching the season. This show is: 10% Jurassic Park, 45% The Waltons, 45% scripts, poor ideas and cheesy dialogue from the lesser Star Trek shows (Deep Space Nine/Voyager/Enterprise). Exactly 10% of the show works. It's not the 1990's anymore, much less the 1960's. Battlestar Galactica set a high bar for modern scifi: Intelligent and gritty,I really had to challenge myself to finish watching the season. This show is: 10% Jurassic Park, 45% The Waltons, 45% scripts, poor ideas and cheesy dialogue from the lesser Star Trek shows (Deep Space Nine/Voyager/Enterprise). Exactly 10% of the show works. It's not the 1990's anymore, much less the 1960's. Battlestar Galactica set a high bar for modern scifi: Intelligent and gritty, great action, with realistic human drama at the center. You simply can't go back to the old formulas now. If Fox orders another season of this show without trimming all the fat, I guarantee I will not watch it. Expand
  26. Dec 20, 2011
    This is by far one of the worst sci-fi shows I've seen in a while. Bad stories, hollow characters and rip-offs of much better sci-fi shows and movies are only the beginning of this shows problems. There is little to no character development, romance subplots that are on par with Twilight, villains with motivations so cliche (or unexplained) that it unbearable, moments that would've hadThis is by far one of the worst sci-fi shows I've seen in a while. Bad stories, hollow characters and rip-offs of much better sci-fi shows and movies are only the beginning of this shows problems. There is little to no character development, romance subplots that are on par with Twilight, villains with motivations so cliche (or unexplained) that it unbearable, moments that would've had emotional weight if it wasn't for the characters lack of development of personality.
    The story arc is insultingly moronic, and there are moments that are so stupid that it makes me just toss a grenade in Brannon Braga's living room.
    There is nothing to see here. If you want a dose of dino action then watch the Jurassic Park movies, if you want human vs. human conflict then watch Jericho, and if you want a time travel adventure then watch Doctor Who.
    DO NOT WATCH THIS!!!
  27. Dec 19, 2011
    The stunning visuals are not enough to distract my attention off of the horrendous writing and terrible acting with the exception of Stephen Lang(not great but decent enough to keep me from pulling my hair out while screaming at the screen). This show lacks the mystery that others of it's category have; shows such as "Lost" which had the bitter-sweetness of "leaving you hanging" at the endThe stunning visuals are not enough to distract my attention off of the horrendous writing and terrible acting with the exception of Stephen Lang(not great but decent enough to keep me from pulling my hair out while screaming at the screen). This show lacks the mystery that others of it's category have; shows such as "Lost" which had the bitter-sweetness of "leaving you hanging" at the end of the show. The fact that every unrealistic problem the writers create is resolved at the end of every episode is what is driving the audience away; an audience which is relatively small considering the shows budget. As of today the show has survived for one whole season, perhaps Fox will see their mistakes and fix them. The fix is simple new writers and casting auditions! Expand
  28. Dec 19, 2011
    This show had me attached from day one. The action-packed Sci-Fi series always has my attention and adrenaline running. I heard about it on the radio before it premiered and decided to give it a chance. I became attached in the first 5 minutes. The show never let me down. It's sad to see so many people aren't giving it a chance. Yea, it's different but it's a "cool" different. With seasonThis show had me attached from day one. The action-packed Sci-Fi series always has my attention and adrenaline running. I heard about it on the radio before it premiered and decided to give it a chance. I became attached in the first 5 minutes. The show never let me down. It's sad to see so many people aren't giving it a chance. Yea, it's different but it's a "cool" different. With season 1 of Terra Nova completed, I really hope FOX decides to renew [Terra Nova] it. Expand
  29. Dec 19, 2011
    You know I remember this show it started out on what then was call USA network. In the first season it was a little out there, the plot was not so polish, and the characters were not quite there. So USA cancel the show and this should had been the end. Then came along this new tv channel. It was so knew that people thinking on it was you got to be kidding and yeah right. They saw somethingYou know I remember this show it started out on what then was call USA network. In the first season it was a little out there, the plot was not so polish, and the characters were not quite there. So USA cancel the show and this should had been the end. Then came along this new tv channel. It was so knew that people thinking on it was you got to be kidding and yeah right. They saw something in this show that USA had cancel an so brought the rights. The show was call Babylon Five and channel was TNT the rest is history. I said go ahead Fox Tv executives make that mistake cancel the show an watch some else walk off with the prize. Expand
  30. Dec 15, 2011
    I have grown up a sci-fi fan. So when I heard about this show, I was ecstatic. Dinosaurs, a hint of Earth 2, a whole new world to explore, what more could you ask for? After watching the first episode thru the current one apparently a lot more! (Yeah, yeah, I keep trying it, wishing for change, I'm hopeless)

The lines are VERY bland, nothing intelligent, nothing interesting. It

The lines are VERY bland, nothing intelligent, nothing interesting. It sometimes feels like some high school kids wrote and directed it. The mini "day to day" storylines are the same thing. And the BIG multi-arc "storyline" is so weak it could be nonexistant. Bad corporations from the future want to suck out the natural resources of this new planet. Ooooooh. So much drama.....

The actors they chose fro this are very generic looking. I know they tried to actually add diversity to the main cast (the actors playing the mother, and both daughters have Indian ancestory), which is great. But for a multi million budget, they could'nt have found better actors?? They say their lines so glumly, as if they will suck the life out of television. Actors don't NEED to be good looking more than they need to have charisma, an onscreen persona. So far the Commander is the one with most charisma (and I hated his guts in Avatar).
    I wonder if this show can be saved? Explode Terra Nova, or maybe let dinosaurs eat everybody up. Then the next batch of explorers that come can be better cast. It is sad that they were trying to make a family friendly sci-fi and it fell flat. I love feel good shows, shows that show the bond/strength of family. But this thing just sucked.

P.S It makes me miss Earth2, my heart was ripped out when super losers cancelled it. :(

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Sep 28, 2011
    Nothing in this pilot is as compelling as the idea for the show, which begs philosophical and ethical questions that Spielberg and company (for now, at least) aren't interested in addressing.
  2. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Sep 27, 2011
    Even with Steven Spielberg listed among the executive producers, this distant world doesn't inspire much awe. [3 Oct 2011, p.45]
  3. Reviewed by: David Wiegand
    Sep 26, 2011
    The slowdown of the show's pace is one thing, but the real issue here is that the family element often feels inauthentic and just isn't up to the quality of the CGI-fueled action sequences.