• Network: FOX
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 26, 2011
6.1

1. Oct 6, 2011
    I thought that FOX could do it better. Having into the game such a director as Jon Cassar, they could do it better, but the script is horrible! We can advance everything that is going to happen. If the shows continues like this, is going to fall quick.
  2. Dec 15, 2011
    I have grown up a sci-fi fan. So when I heard about this show, I was ecstatic. Dinosaurs, a hint of Earth 2, a whole new world to explore, what more could you ask for? After watching the first episode thru the current one apparently a lot more! (Yeah, yeah, I keep trying it, wishing for change, I'm hopeless)

The lines are VERY bland, nothing intelligent, nothing interesting. It

The lines are VERY bland, nothing intelligent, nothing interesting. It sometimes feels like some high school kids wrote and directed it. The mini "day to day" storylines are the same thing. And the BIG multi-arc "storyline" is so weak it could be nonexistant. Bad corporations from the future want to suck out the natural resources of this new planet. Ooooooh. So much drama.....

The actors they chose fro this are very generic looking. I know they tried to actually add diversity to the main cast (the actors playing the mother, and both daughters have Indian ancestory), which is great. But for a multi million budget, they could'nt have found better actors?? They say their lines so glumly, as if they will suck the life out of television. Actors don't NEED to be good looking more than they need to have charisma, an onscreen persona. So far the Commander is the one with most charisma (and I hated his guts in Avatar).
    I wonder if this show can be saved? Explode Terra Nova, or maybe let dinosaurs eat everybody up. Then the next batch of explorers that come can be better cast. It is sad that they were trying to make a family friendly sci-fi and it fell flat. I love feel good shows, shows that show the bond/strength of family. But this thing just sucked.

P.S It makes me miss Earth2, my heart was ripped out when super losers cancelled it. :(
  3. Dec 19, 2011
    The stunning visuals are not enough to distract my attention off of the horrendous writing and terrible acting with the exception of Stephen Lang(not great but decent enough to keep me from pulling my hair out while screaming at the screen). This show lacks the mystery that others of it's category have; shows such as "Lost" which had the bitter-sweetness of "leaving you hanging" at the endThe stunning visuals are not enough to distract my attention off of the horrendous writing and terrible acting with the exception of Stephen Lang(not great but decent enough to keep me from pulling my hair out while screaming at the screen). This show lacks the mystery that others of it's category have; shows such as "Lost" which had the bitter-sweetness of "leaving you hanging" at the end of the show. The fact that every unrealistic problem the writers create is resolved at the end of every episode is what is driving the audience away; an audience which is relatively small considering the shows budget. As of today the show has survived for one whole season, perhaps Fox will see their mistakes and fix them. The fix is simple new writers and casting auditions! Expand
  4. Oct 6, 2011
    The effects are great, the storyline can be great. Please do not turn this into a sad crummy production. Points of failure: Cars with no doors in dinosaur land. Children getting lost in the dinosaur infested jungle... adults learn of this and instead of sending the military out to get them instantly, the hero goes to his hut and has a heart to heart chat with his wife about whether or notThe effects are great, the storyline can be great. Please do not turn this into a sad crummy production. Points of failure: Cars with no doors in dinosaur land. Children getting lost in the dinosaur infested jungle... adults learn of this and instead of sending the military out to get them instantly, the hero goes to his hut and has a heart to heart chat with his wife about whether or not she should go... then they take her along. Producers... go watch the 1st 5 episodes of BSG... watch it again... ok, now try to bring some of that edge into your multi million dollar production before it slides into the land of lost shows... because it has great potential... but after 2 episodes it is already slipping. And by the way... lots of your viewers will be scientists (we like SciFi)... so next time you have biologists capturing new organisms, figuring out their "pheremone" homing systems, and then synthesizing "enhanced" versions of said pheremones in 3 hours start to finish... just don't. Go to UCLA and get some grad students to advise you... I guarantee they'll do it for free donuts. Not only will your show be more believable, it wall also be better. Last rant - those flying bats in episode 2 were neither scary nor intimidating. All they served to do is make the son look incompetent in his total inability to kick any kind of dino ass. Expand
  5. Dec 21, 2011
    I've found this show to be amazing, much better than the crap that most people watch. It's not very often that a show really grabs my imagination and I for one am glad I took the time to watch this and very very hopeful of a second season being announced soon
  6. Dec 2, 2011
    It dragged a bit at the beginning, became a bit to soapy for a bit and seems to have settled now. I am starting to enjoy the show. Few more dinosaurs would be fun.. Taylor comes across as a bit fake! for a first season with little know actors (for me) i think its pretty good.
  7. Dec 6, 2011
    After seeing the first 2 or 3 episodes the euphoria finally settled in and the realisation caved in that I am watching a weekly episode of Dinosaurs making guest appearances on a family drama.
    I love what Jason O Mara and his family does but the role of Skye is underdeveloped and so is the role of the other 'kids' in the series.
    The rivalry between Jason and his wife's ex boyfriend -cum-
    The rivalry between Jason and his wife's ex boyfriend -cum- classmate could have been far better and well worked on which was technically ignored.
    What I dont get is the fact if there are so many pilgrimages why is there not a sensation of Terra Nova being a larger place than what it looks like ?
    The "Sci-Fi" plot is too weak to keep me captivated enough for long because I just dont get the fact of a son who gets all nutty over his father cuz his dad wrecked his toys when he found out that what the son was up to was not 'right' ?? So he goes and plays 'abcd' on the rocks ???
    In all the show is a very exciting adventure and 40 out of 100 people would agree with that, HOWEVER the show 'lacks adventure' which 70 out of 100 people would agree to. I for one believe that there is a far more epic new season of this show is awaiting for all of us next year and THATS THE BOTTOMLINE !!!
  8. Dec 8, 2011
    The show has alot of potential. I cant get enough of it. It was slow to get interesting a little bit because it was slow to build the plot in the first couple episodes, but I think it really took off and hooked me. I do not understand the low user score or meta rating. This show has more potential than some other bad shows like Once Upon A Time or the rash of Vampire shows.
  9. Dec 13, 2011
    Our family loves this show. Writing isn't always great, but it has a good theme we all enjoy. If someone can't appreciate what terra nova brings to the table, it's only because they don't realize how hard it is to find a show that's interesting for parents, friendly enough for kids, and doesn't shove god up your a$$ with that combination. It's a television series. It's not a movie.Our family loves this show. Writing isn't always great, but it has a good theme we all enjoy. If someone can't appreciate what terra nova brings to the table, it's only because they don't realize how hard it is to find a show that's interesting for parents, friendly enough for kids, and doesn't shove god up your a$$ with that combination. It's a television series. It's not a movie. Different budgets. Not disappointed with special effects. We hope there are more seasons to come. We will be very disappointed if it gets canceled. Expand
  10. Dec 19, 2011
    You know I remember this show it started out on what then was call USA network. In the first season it was a little out there, the plot was not so polish, and the characters were not quite there. So USA cancel the show and this should had been the end. Then came along this new tv channel. It was so knew that people thinking on it was you got to be kidding and yeah right. They saw somethingYou know I remember this show it started out on what then was call USA network. In the first season it was a little out there, the plot was not so polish, and the characters were not quite there. So USA cancel the show and this should had been the end. Then came along this new tv channel. It was so knew that people thinking on it was you got to be kidding and yeah right. They saw something in this show that USA had cancel an so brought the rights. The show was call Babylon Five and channel was TNT the rest is history. I said go ahead Fox Tv executives make that mistake cancel the show an watch some else walk off with the prize. Expand
  11. Dec 19, 2011
    This show had me attached from day one. The action-packed Sci-Fi series always has my attention and adrenaline running. I heard about it on the radio before it premiered and decided to give it a chance. I became attached in the first 5 minutes. The show never let me down. It's sad to see so many people aren't giving it a chance. Yea, it's different but it's a "cool" different. With seasonThis show had me attached from day one. The action-packed Sci-Fi series always has my attention and adrenaline running. I heard about it on the radio before it premiered and decided to give it a chance. I became attached in the first 5 minutes. The show never let me down. It's sad to see so many people aren't giving it a chance. Yea, it's different but it's a "cool" different. With season 1 of Terra Nova completed, I really hope FOX decides to renew [Terra Nova] it. Expand
  12. Dec 26, 2011
    I think it's one of the best shows out there! i love it! It's very entertaining, you never know what is going to happen next. I think the qualitity of the show is actually pretty good..I love the dinosaurs and how it is written. At times i think the script is a little chessy, but not that bad. I hope there will be a season 2!
  13. Dec 29, 2011
    Terra Nova is a fun, family show that it pays to be seen. I think his greatest virtue is exactly the clichés.I do not want another "LOST". The series is simple, fun, with no great pretensions, and should not be tempted to have large overly complex scripts. Great series.
  14. Feb 6, 2012
    Terra Nova is one of those shows where you love it and at other times, you hate it... and you'll hate it so much. The plot and premise was one of the most fascinating things about the show, and it did not deliver until it was way too late. There was a lot of wasted episodes... basically, out of the 13 episodes, only 4 of them even really amounted to anything worth while. Ironically, thoseTerra Nova is one of those shows where you love it and at other times, you hate it... and you'll hate it so much. The plot and premise was one of the most fascinating things about the show, and it did not deliver until it was way too late. There was a lot of wasted episodes... basically, out of the 13 episodes, only 4 of them even really amounted to anything worth while. Ironically, those episodes happened to be the first two and final two episodes.

It's also fairly difficult to make an emotional connection to any of the characters when you generally kinda hate them all save for a select few you can count with one hand. I'd recommend this show only if you're curious, otherwise, stick with the first two episodes and final two episodes, it'll be like watching a movie. Otherwise, you'll have a lot of filler in between the good stuff, and you'll hate yourself for watching it.
  15. Sep 27, 2011
    Terra Nova was a very entertaining show. As with most pilots, the groundwork is laid for what may be a fantastic ride. Some questions answered, many more left for us to discover during our weekly visit. The production quality (i.e. FX) are pretty decent for a TV show, I didn't walk away with that cheesy feeling you often get just after watching a program that tries to pull off too much.Terra Nova was a very entertaining show. As with most pilots, the groundwork is laid for what may be a fantastic ride. Some questions answered, many more left for us to discover during our weekly visit. The production quality (i.e. FX) are pretty decent for a TV show, I didn't walk away with that cheesy feeling you often get just after watching a program that tries to pull off too much. All in all, I think the pilot did a good job of filling us in on what we need to know while giving us a reason to return, and I will be returning. Maybe I'm a sucker for anything Sci-fi, but I like the premise, the actors and the stage that has been set for future content. Now they just need to keep it up. Expand
  16. Sep 27, 2011
    Pretty good start, but I don't want this to be another LOST type show. If they are gonna get somewhere with Taylor's son, they need to get there sooner rather than later. It was fun to watch and will hopefully keep me entertained for quite some time.
  17. Oct 8, 2011
    How could they spend so much money and create something so boring. Great opening and cool transition to T.N., and then wake me up when something happens besides a dreary family sitcom. Watched the 3rd episode, just in case, and the same mix of some action and mind-numbing camp life. It's a shame whoever created the show tried to appeal to such a wide variety of tastes that it just comesHow could they spend so much money and create something so boring. Great opening and cool transition to T.N., and then wake me up when something happens besides a dreary family sitcom. Watched the 3rd episode, just in case, and the same mix of some action and mind-numbing camp life. It's a shame whoever created the show tried to appeal to such a wide variety of tastes that it just comes off bland. What a waste. Expand
  18. Sep 27, 2011
    Premise is good and it has a lot of potential! I will be tuning in to see where it all goes. The pilot of any show is always a work in progress but few have the potential, this is one of the few!
  19. Oct 8, 2011
    This show is terrible. There are so many things wrong with it - no explanation for many aspects of the plot, parts that don't make a lick of sense, a son that all of a sudden has daddy issues, and a daughter playing the stereotype of the smart kid, only her acting is so bad that the best she manages to achieve is the not-so-smart kind trying to act. This has to be the poorest attempt atThis show is terrible. There are so many things wrong with it - no explanation for many aspects of the plot, parts that don't make a lick of sense, a son that all of a sudden has daddy issues, and a daughter playing the stereotype of the smart kid, only her acting is so bad that the best she manages to achieve is the not-so-smart kind trying to act. This has to be the poorest attempt at story telling that I have seen for a long while. My advice? Don't waste your time. Expand
  20. Oct 25, 2011
    Pilot was weak, next episode was weaker and 5th episode into the season I'm starting to feel, that even special effects won't keep me from doing something else next time. For a serie this expensive, a remarkable failure.
  21. Sep 26, 2011
    After watching the pilot I was somewhat disappointed. I heard they spent 10+ million on this pilot and I was expecting something great. Yet it felt like a mid-season episode which means I am going to have to watch a few more episodes to see where this is going. I do like the plot (or where I hope the plot is going) so far. I can comment much on the characters yet but they certainly wereAfter watching the pilot I was somewhat disappointed. I heard they spent 10+ million on this pilot and I was expecting something great. Yet it felt like a mid-season episode which means I am going to have to watch a few more episodes to see where this is going. I do like the plot (or where I hope the plot is going) so far. I can comment much on the characters yet but they certainly were nowhere close to the characters on Lost (which is my standard for perfect characters in a TV show). Overall the pilot didn't give me an impression that this is going to be an amazing TV series nor that it will last but I always have hope that they can turn the show around. As a last comment to all the people who always complain about bad dialogue. I have to say people ask for too much these days from TV shows, like they are all made to be about dialogue. Yes I like perfect shows with great dialogue. But common, we want every movie and show to be an ideal world where everyone talks in perfect dialogue. Personally, I'm tired of the ideal world entertainment, I want something more realistic (dialogue wise at least) so I don't emphasize the dialogue too much unless they are TV shows (Mad Men, The Big Bang Theory) or Movies (The Lord of the Rings, The Kings' Speech) specifically based on their dialogue. Collapse
  22. Sep 27, 2011
    I think this show has good potential. many plot points for future episodes were set up and it looks promising for now. I'll definitely be watching the next few episodes just to see if they take it in a kind of "Lost" direction in which case I might drop the show
  23. Sep 27, 2011
    Terra Nova's biggest appeal to me was the setting. It is something different than the crime-dramas and other shows set in a today-like setting. Being a fan of Jurassic Park as a kid I love the fact they're dinosaurs in this. The special effects were not mind boggling but they are not bad either; they are convincing enough to get the job done. If you are looking for something out of theTerra Nova's biggest appeal to me was the setting. It is something different than the crime-dramas and other shows set in a today-like setting. Being a fan of Jurassic Park as a kid I love the fact they're dinosaurs in this. The special effects were not mind boggling but they are not bad either; they are convincing enough to get the job done. If you are looking for something out of the ordinary shows like house csi, house, cm, etc. then defiantly take a look at Terra Nova. Expand
  24. Sep 27, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. All I can say is WOW! This is by far the best show to come out in years. It has everything! Great acting, amazing effects, and a great script. While it's true they are trying to push an agenda (it's written by environmental extremists - what do you expect?) they use the idea to good effect, so I'm not giving it any points down for that. Expand
  25. Sep 30, 2011
    It was simply boring; every minute and every move could be foreseen and nothing surprising happened. The opening double episode was full of cliches. Unfortunately, now I foresee a dumb Jurassic Park-themed series instead of a promising sci-fi story. Too bad!
  26. Sep 26, 2011
    I saw a trailer for this show about a month and a half back and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Then when I actually saw it it was about as much as a disappointment as the new Hawaii 5-0 was. The dialogue is stiff and often so cliche you end up shaking your head half the time. The plot can sometimes seem stupid. The characters are practically lifeless shades (even Stephen LangI saw a trailer for this show about a month and a half back and I thought it was the coolest thing ever. Then when I actually saw it it was about as much as a disappointment as the new Hawaii 5-0 was. The dialogue is stiff and often so cliche you end up shaking your head half the time. The plot can sometimes seem stupid. The characters are practically lifeless shades (even Stephen Lang which I was highly disappointed with). The 2 hour premiere did have some surprisingly good CGI action. Nothing like Avatar, King Kong, Jurassic Park but very good none the less. The concept of Terra Nova show is also starting to unfold which I think is nice. The only reason why this isn't rated any lower is because I have potential for this series, they have so much that they can do with it to make it shine. In the meantime though you didn't miss too much. Expand
  27. Sep 28, 2011
    I think I can some this show up by saying that if Earth2, Jurassic Park, and Lost had a baby it would be Terra Nova. I think this show could have a great future. The dinosaurs looked a bit too cartoonish at times but this was the pilot episode and one can only hope the CGI will get better. This was far better than anything you would get from the Syfy network in production value. I amI think I can some this show up by saying that if Earth2, Jurassic Park, and Lost had a baby it would be Terra Nova. I think this show could have a great future. The dinosaurs looked a bit too cartoonish at times but this was the pilot episode and one can only hope the CGI will get better. This was far better than anything you would get from the Syfy network in production value. I am extremely curious what direction the show will take. I think there will be no middle ground with Terra Nova by episode ten people will either love it or hate as was the case with Lost. Expand
  28. Oct 2, 2011
    I felt compelled to register and contribute a quick review for this show because I don't understand how a show this appallingly bad could garner positive reviews. I have only seen the first hour of the pilot in a preview at comic-con, and decided then and there that I did not need to see a single second more of this disaster. Between the mediocre special effects, boring and predictableI felt compelled to register and contribute a quick review for this show because I don't understand how a show this appallingly bad could garner positive reviews. I have only seen the first hour of the pilot in a preview at comic-con, and decided then and there that I did not need to see a single second more of this disaster. Between the mediocre special effects, boring and predictable story, wooden acting, and amazingly terrible dialogue, it's mind-boggling that the show made it off the cutting room floor, let alone to an actual premiere. The fact that it garnered applause at comic-con was totally surprising to me, but now I see that the general sci-fi TV watching public has their standards set so low that even this dreck is considered acceptable. You would think after having the pleasure of Battlestar Galactica, Firefly, Lost, Fringe and other such impressively written shows, they would have a better appreciation, but apparently not. Score is for the show and for those fans who actually enjoyed this. Expand
  29. Dec 20, 2011
    This is by far one of the worst sci-fi shows I've seen in a while. Bad stories, hollow characters and rip-offs of much better sci-fi shows and movies are only the beginning of this shows problems. There is little to no character development, romance subplots that are on par with Twilight, villains with motivations so cliche (or unexplained) that it unbearable, moments that would've hadThis is by far one of the worst sci-fi shows I've seen in a while. Bad stories, hollow characters and rip-offs of much better sci-fi shows and movies are only the beginning of this shows problems. There is little to no character development, romance subplots that are on par with Twilight, villains with motivations so cliche (or unexplained) that it unbearable, moments that would've had emotional weight if it wasn't for the characters lack of development of personality.
    The story arc is insultingly moronic, and there are moments that are so stupid that it makes me just toss a grenade in Brannon Braga's living room.
    There is nothing to see here. If you want a dose of dino action then watch the Jurassic Park movies, if you want human vs. human conflict then watch Jericho, and if you want a time travel adventure then watch Doctor Who.
    DO NOT WATCH THIS!!!
  30. Jan 27, 2012
    Terrible terrible terrible. But I give it points for what it could have been, sans the script written by what seems like the folks from ABC Family. And it could have been so much more.

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Sep 28, 2011
    Nothing in this pilot is as compelling as the idea for the show, which begs philosophical and ethical questions that Spielberg and company (for now, at least) aren't interested in addressing.
  2. Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Sep 27, 2011
    Even with Steven Spielberg listed among the executive producers, this distant world doesn't inspire much awe. [3 Oct 2011, p.45]
  3. Reviewed by: David Wiegand
    Sep 26, 2011
    The slowdown of the show's pace is one thing, but the real issue here is that the family element often feels inauthentic and just isn't up to the quality of the CGI-fueled action sequences.