• Network: FOX
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 26, 2011
6.2

1. Oct 14, 2011
    The writing on this show is horrendous. I cannot stand the interaction between the characters. Nothing seems natural between them, it all seems forced. The casting is also a little off. If shows are trying to be like lost they need to realize that all characters do not need to be chiseled, beautiful models. Won't be checking this out again.
  2. Oct 25, 2011
    Pilot was weak, next episode was weaker and 5th episode into the season I'm starting to feel, that even special effects won't keep me from doing something else next time. For a serie this expensive, a remarkable failure.
  3. Sep 28, 2011
    The first episode was simply boring. There was nothing new about it. The actors were bland, storyline pointless and very little mystery to it. I wasn't even blown away with the special effects. The most intense parts of the show didn't engage me. I couldn't care less about who lived or died. I'm not sure how much longer I could watch a show like this.
  4. Oct 17, 2011
    Update to the first watch review. I have given up on this dreck. It was so promising, so many cool ideas. All of it wasted by terrible acting and terrible writing. The characters are all one dimensional, the actors don't look like they have the talent to pull of even one dimension of acting. Stephen Lang is wasted since they dumbed down his Quarittch character. The show itself seems likeUpdate to the first watch review. I have given up on this dreck. It was so promising, so many cool ideas. All of it wasted by terrible acting and terrible writing. The characters are all one dimensional, the actors don't look like they have the talent to pull of even one dimension of acting. Stephen Lang is wasted since they dumbed down his Quarittch character. The show itself seems like it went into shooting only a week after they pitched the concept with no though put into the actual story. Seriously the organizational chart on this show could've been made by a 5 year old. The effects are crap as is the art deco. Their is nothing good here except the concept. Don't waste your time on this. You want a show from Speilberg go watch Falling Skies. Expand
  5. Oct 2, 2011
    Somehow a show about dystopian future-world politics, time travel and dinosaurs manages to insult my intelligence. Every once in a while there is an educational moment, but it comes from Steve Erkel character that every proceeds to roll their eyes at. I honestly find Storage Wars more intelligent than this show. They have to know this is going to be cancelled, they could at least have madeSomehow a show about dystopian future-world politics, time travel and dinosaurs manages to insult my intelligence. Every once in a while there is an educational moment, but it comes from Steve Erkel character that every proceeds to roll their eyes at. I honestly find Storage Wars more intelligent than this show. They have to know this is going to be cancelled, they could at least have made it watchable for the few episodes it will be on the air. Expand
  6. Nov 1, 2011
    Poor special effects, you watch jurassic park then come to this and you will see the difference. Poor plot. Very predictable. Amnesia episode this early in the season?! are the writers struggling for ideas? whats next, a singing episode? annoying characters, cant stand the emo kid. Why did he hate his dad again? because he stuck up for his little sister? that makes no sense! basically goPoor special effects, you watch jurassic park then come to this and you will see the difference. Poor plot. Very predictable. Amnesia episode this early in the season?! are the writers struggling for ideas? whats next, a singing episode? annoying characters, cant stand the emo kid. Why did he hate his dad again? because he stuck up for his little sister? that makes no sense! basically go watch walking dead instead. That has characters you actually care for. Expand
  7. Nov 17, 2011
    The pilot was alright...ish...then the following episodes were so boring. I honestly don't care about the creatures of Pandora or wherever the hell they. I understand they're mean and vicious, they're dinosaurs. Geez mankind's last hope for survival wasted on father/son issues and a generic nerdy girl who's awkward about dating. I thought it'd be like Battlestar Galactica meets JurassicThe pilot was alright...ish...then the following episodes were so boring. I honestly don't care about the creatures of Pandora or wherever the hell they. I understand they're mean and vicious, they're dinosaurs. Geez mankind's last hope for survival wasted on father/son issues and a generic nerdy girl who's awkward about dating. I thought it'd be like Battlestar Galactica meets Jurassic Park. Lolol, no. Expand
  8. Jan 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The premise seems good, as well as the special effects. That is all that seems good with Terra Nova. Bad and cheesy acting, Unmemorable characters and god, the very, very bad writing!

How were the angsty teenage kids able to sneak outside the gates when, apparently, a security camera has been focused on their exit point all along? Not to mention that they were even able to sneak out with a vehicle which the adults only accounted for when the plot demands it!
  9. Oct 8, 2011
    How could they spend so much money and create something so boring. Great opening and cool transition to T.N., and then wake me up when something happens besides a dreary family sitcom. Watched the 3rd episode, just in case, and the same mix of some action and mind-numbing camp life. It's a shame whoever created the show tried to appeal to such a wide variety of tastes that it just comesHow could they spend so much money and create something so boring. Great opening and cool transition to T.N., and then wake me up when something happens besides a dreary family sitcom. Watched the 3rd episode, just in case, and the same mix of some action and mind-numbing camp life. It's a shame whoever created the show tried to appeal to such a wide variety of tastes that it just comes off bland. What a waste. Expand
  10. Sep 26, 2011
    A 65 average critic score for this debacle of a show? Are you serious? I just wasted 2 hours of my life that I can't get back. I was hoping for way more of a sci-fi/adventure type story but this ended up being a soap opera in the prehistoric days. Awful, really really awful. Do not waste your time with this show as it will be canceled during the first season.
  11. Sep 30, 2011
    It was simply boring; every minute and every move could be foreseen and nothing surprising happened. The opening double episode was full of cliches. Unfortunately, now I foresee a dumb Jurassic Park-themed series instead of a promising sci-fi story. Too bad!
  12. Feb 7, 2013
    Seeing as the premise for this show involved people travelling back in time to the age of the dinosaurs I wasn’t exactly expecting a drama series with the emotional depth of something like Breaking Bad or Mad Men. What I was expecting however was to be entertained (Spielberg was responsible for Jurassic Park after all!) unfortunately, despite all the pre-pilot hype, Terra Nova fails onSeeing as the premise for this show involved people travelling back in time to the age of the dinosaurs I wasn’t exactly expecting a drama series with the emotional depth of something like Breaking Bad or Mad Men. What I was expecting however was to be entertained (Spielberg was responsible for Jurassic Park after all!) unfortunately, despite all the pre-pilot hype, Terra Nova fails on almost every count. The much hyped special effects are almost laughable in places and are still leagues behind modern day big budget movies, or the 15 year old Jurassic Park for that matter, and the action sequences lack any tension or sense of danger. Add to this the fact that the characters are so clichéd, the dialogue so cheesy and the plotlines so incredibly dull that it is impossible to even begin to care about their plight and you have an example of what happens when TV goes wrong. Fortunately thanks to rapidly declining viewers in the US a second season now looks unlikely. Expand
  13. Oct 15, 2011
    One of the most important things for lending credibility to fictional characters is them them ask the questions and think the thoughts that normal human beings in their place would ask and think. The characters in Terra Nova fail doing so over and over again, leading to a cast made up mostly of zombies, staggering their way through badly written storywork. While the basic concepts of timeOne of the most important things for lending credibility to fictional characters is them them ask the questions and think the thoughts that normal human beings in their place would ask and think. The characters in Terra Nova fail doing so over and over again, leading to a cast made up mostly of zombies, staggering their way through badly written storywork. While the basic concepts of time travel, pollution and exodus are all potentially interesting, the execution is very bad. The Terra Nova colony is doomed to fail, because it's colonists have neither any frontier spirit, not much in the way of brains to make up for it.

Yet, sometimes when stories and acting are bad, at least the design, props and special effects make up for it a little bit. This is not the case here, unfortunately. The visual impression suggests that someone went through the concept art trashcans of Jurassic Park, Avatar, Earth 2 and Lost, then picked all the worst pieces he could find and copy them badly.

It is not a complete waste of time, but it is second to almost anything.
  14. Oct 6, 2011
    I thought that FOX could do it better. Having into the game such a director as Jon Cassar, they could do it better, but the script is horrible! We can advance everything that is going to happen. If the shows continues like this, is going to fall quick.
  15. Nov 22, 2011
    Okay, so Stephen Spielberg can't do TV. That's okay. His CV is already pretty impressive. We'll just give him a pass on this mediocre tripe that's basically Falling Skies, only with dinosaurs instead of aliens. Where Falling Skies had "skitters", Terra Nova has "slashers". It falls prey to the same cheap serial TV tricks that Falling Skies did (too much CGI, generic music meandering in theOkay, so Stephen Spielberg can't do TV. That's okay. His CV is already pretty impressive. We'll just give him a pass on this mediocre tripe that's basically Falling Skies, only with dinosaurs instead of aliens. Where Falling Skies had "skitters", Terra Nova has "slashers". It falls prey to the same cheap serial TV tricks that Falling Skies did (too much CGI, generic music meandering in the background with little relevance to the action, lame plot devices) and focuses on much the same issues (survival of the human race, father/son stuff, boy/girl stuff). It had potential, but it's a flop. There are too many holes. The dinosaurs themselves are not featured enough, and when they are, they're just angry monsters, not complex zoological marvels. Nobody seems to mind that their new community is an autocracy. Nobody knows any body else, and although there can't be accommodation for more than 100 people, and there's never more than 20 people milling around the open-air "market", they all seem to be strangers to one another. Despite the dangers, teenagers live alone and regularly climb through the fence to jump off waterfalls and drink spurious jungle-brewed moonshine. Shelley Conn, the doctor, is a good character and a good actress, and I'm glad they're letting her use her own accent, but I don't understand how she (apparently a medical doctor) knows so much about virtually every aspect of modern and prehistoric science. Also, there seems to be a lack of nurses. She recently recruited a moonshine-abusing teenager to pull a 6 foot parasite out of a patient. Why? That teenager is the very annoying "Skye", who knows an awful lot about illicit activities, and runs around doing her own thing and flirting shamelessly with Josh who, frankly, could do better. Landon Liboiron is good as Josh, and Naomi Scott is equally good as his sister (although she and her wholesome boyfriend already behave like a married middle-aged couple). In fact, the whole Shannon family is well cast. I just wish they weren't subject to the same cliched issues as every family in every tv show ever (daughters dating, father and son conflict, baby sister in danger, mom and/or dad torn between work and family, mother's old boyfriend pulling strings to bring his old flame back from the future). Jason O'Mara is fantastic, and the best thing about this mostly lame production. I wish he had better stuff to work with, because he's very warm and watchable on screen. I just don't totally get what this show is about. The mood shifts constantly, and it's often just plain silly. As in the episode where Dr Shannon loses her memory, attempts at humour fall flat, it all descends into farce and just feels really uncool. I don't really get why or how they're trying to rescue humankind by going through a portal to a prehistoric world, and what they're actually trying to accomplish in this tiny village. What do they all do there, who makes the stuff they sell in the market, do they reproduce, why are there enough resources for a bar complete with shady barkeeper with a bad reputation? Who let him in and why? Where does he expect to hide? And what's the deal with these Sixers who frankly don't seem very scary or interesting?

Sorry, the show sucks.
  16. Sep 26, 2011
    This is another disappointing show this season. I love dinosaurs and I love a hokey story but this is
    sterile. The characters are unlikeable - a cop that thumbs his nose at authority by having a third child? and then fails to protect the child? he is going to be the hero? doctor mom loves the hothead? what?
    The dinosaurs are just like in Jurassic Park- they do not have reality apart

The dinosaurs are just like in Jurassic Park- they do not have reality apart from the humans. Boring, boring, boring.
  17. Sep 27, 2011
    You'd think that the reason Spielberg has waited so long to produce a TV series about dinosaurs is that he was waiting for technology to catch up so that creatures that live up the standards set by Spielberg's own Jurassic Park became affordable for a TV-budget.

Sadly, this is not true. Not a single dinosaur looked believable. I'm not even sure the series reached up to Walking with Dinosaurs when it comes to paleovisual believability. The dinosaurs simply don't move or behave in a convincing fashion, looking more like something taken out of the Attack of the Clones arena that the terrifying animals we saw in 1993.

Storywise? While there was a potential for "Lord of the Flies" with raptors, this is "Lost in the Cretaceous". It's a telling fact only the "bad" humans (shockingly characterized by a rugged appearance) actually get eaten, whole 5 teenagers who get cornered out in the forest by a pack of what is probably 500-kg predators survive with only flesh wounds and a minor leg fracture. I had a hard time deciding which of the main male characters is a more entitled douche. The father who decides to have a third child in a world dying from overpopulation, then assaults police officers and gets locked up leaving his family to fend for themselves? The clueless teenager who meets a cute girl on the first day, somehow instantly makes a lot of friends, and then decides to scamper off into the primeval jungle, predator-infested jungle to drink moonshine?

Bottom line? It's by all means watchable, but if you where expecting "Galactica" with dinosaurs, sorry.
  18. Oct 5, 2011
    So Spielberg! Very boring and politically correct, with a "Happy family" characters that was the sum of all stereotype in generalistic TVShow. Not to mention the lot of plot-hole and all the question that pops in your mind watching it (one for all: dad breaks from a maximum security prison and enter in another maximum security facility with no tool, no breather. And magically become theSo Spielberg! Very boring and politically correct, with a "Happy family" characters that was the sum of all stereotype in generalistic TVShow. Not to mention the lot of plot-hole and all the question that pops in your mind watching it (one for all: dad breaks from a maximum security prison and enter in another maximum security facility with no tool, no breather. And magically become the most bad-ass cop in the colony. Bah! Visual effect are simply embarassing. Another Falling Skies!! Expand
  19. Oct 14, 2011
    It was actually so bad I was laughing half the time! Wow what a waste of time. The first four hours of this show prove it to be shallow in plot and quality. The characters are again American cliche in what appears to be a soap opera remake of Avatar. There is no reasoning behind any of it. I am sure it in no way does the book plot justice. I wonder what drugs Spielberg was on when he wasIt was actually so bad I was laughing half the time! Wow what a waste of time. The first four hours of this show prove it to be shallow in plot and quality. The characters are again American cliche in what appears to be a soap opera remake of Avatar. There is no reasoning behind any of it. I am sure it in no way does the book plot justice. I wonder what drugs Spielberg was on when he was producing this crap. It's funny to note, those that liked "lost" rate this show. In conclusion it is proof American television has lost touch with intelligent viewers. BBC documentaries or Blade Runner any day! Expand
  20. Nov 12, 2011
    I'm watching this drama from Iran. Series is weak, the content and dull. I'm surprised that this series has been spending millions of dollars.Many series have been canceled. I do not know why this series is not canceled
  21. Dec 20, 2011
    This is by far one of the worst sci-fi shows I've seen in a while. Bad stories, hollow characters and rip-offs of much better sci-fi shows and movies are only the beginning of this shows problems. There is little to no character development, romance subplots that are on par with Twilight, villains with motivations so cliche (or unexplained) that it unbearable, moments that would've hadThis is by far one of the worst sci-fi shows I've seen in a while. Bad stories, hollow characters and rip-offs of much better sci-fi shows and movies are only the beginning of this shows problems. There is little to no character development, romance subplots that are on par with Twilight, villains with motivations so cliche (or unexplained) that it unbearable, moments that would've had emotional weight if it wasn't for the characters lack of development of personality.
    The story arc is insultingly moronic, and there are moments that are so stupid that it makes me just toss a grenade in Brannon Braga's living room.
    There is nothing to see here. If you want a dose of dino action then watch the Jurassic Park movies, if you want human vs. human conflict then watch Jericho, and if you want a time travel adventure then watch Doctor Who.
    DO NOT WATCH THIS!!!
  22. Jan 8, 2012
    From the acting; to the writing; to the direction and special effects; Terra Nova is a cesspool of dreck that does not succeed in any aspect. It's a thinly disguised family drama centering around a family of five as they try and cope with life in 'the new world'. Luring you in with its promise of sci-fi and dinosaurs, Terra Nova quickly makes it obvious that they have neither the budgetFrom the acting; to the writing; to the direction and special effects; Terra Nova is a cesspool of dreck that does not succeed in any aspect. It's a thinly disguised family drama centering around a family of five as they try and cope with life in 'the new world'. Luring you in with its promise of sci-fi and dinosaurs, Terra Nova quickly makes it obvious that they have neither the budget nor inclination to provide anything of the sort. Expand
  23. Jan 27, 2012
    Terrible terrible terrible. But I give it points for what it could have been, sans the script written by what seems like the folks from ABC Family. And it could have been so much more.
  24. Jul 7, 2014
    A show that started somewhat good turned to crap later in the season. Horrible acting, dialogue, and plot lines made this series a complete dud. Glad it was cancelled.
  25. Sep 28, 2011
    A very painful first episode. The characters sucked, the acting was terrible, the plot was lame, and the special effects were just okay. Seriously, it was just bad. The way I see it is that the only way one could enjoy this show is if they have no brain. Which a lot of people don't.
  26. Sep 27, 2011
    Incredibly awful writing. Inconsistent characters and annoying out-of-the-blue emo son who suddenly, inexplicably blames his dad. Poor production value on the sets. Wooden acting. No subtlety to the story. Really, really, really bad. It's like George Lucas wrote it.
  27. Nov 12, 2011
    I can't understand why this show is still on the air. Terrible plot and script, horrible acting and poor CGI all come together to create a magnificent piece of dreck. How could Spielberg produce something like this? Unbelievable...
  28. Dec 1, 2011
    Trash! Maybe the worst thing that I've just watched! bad casting, bad scenes, bad dialogues, bad dinosaurs...This is not sci-fi, this is drama and bad drama
  29. Jul 14, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Where to begin with Terra Nova?
    I had hopes that it would be good, that for once a show that wants to push the envelope wouldn't suck as badly as this did. But I was sadly wrong, from the moment go I felt that familiar old tickle at the back of my neck that signals the big screw up in character writing-which for me usually destroys whatever I watch/read/listen to-in the character of Josh. I've got no problems with Landon Liboiron, the guy can act good, its just he was given a complete douche to act as ad it ruined the enjoyment of what is genuinely an interesting-if highly overused-premise.
    The story, well that ended up as very boring and flat, with only the Shannon family to allow soe tension.
  30. Oct 8, 2011
    This show is terrible. There are so many things wrong with it - no explanation for many aspects of the plot, parts that don't make a lick of sense, a son that all of a sudden has daddy issues, and a daughter playing the stereotype of the smart kid, only her acting is so bad that the best she manages to achieve is the not-so-smart kind trying to act. This has to be the poorest attempt atThis show is terrible. There are so many things wrong with it - no explanation for many aspects of the plot, parts that don't make a lick of sense, a son that all of a sudden has daddy issues, and a daughter playing the stereotype of the smart kid, only her acting is so bad that the best she manages to achieve is the not-so-smart kind trying to act. This has to be the poorest attempt at story telling that I have seen for a long while. My advice? Don't waste your time. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Matt Zoller Seitz
    Sep 28, 2011
    Nothing in this pilot is as compelling as the idea for the show, which begs philosophical and ethical questions that Spielberg and company (for now, at least) aren't interested in addressing.
  2. People Weekly
    Reviewed by: Tom Gliatto
    Sep 27, 2011
    Even with Steven Spielberg listed among the executive producers, this distant world doesn't inspire much awe. [3 Oct 2011, p.45]
  3. Reviewed by: David Wiegand
    Sep 26, 2011
    The slowdown of the show's pace is one thing, but the real issue here is that the family element often feels inauthentic and just isn't up to the quality of the CGI-fueled action sequences.