• Network: FX
  • Series Premiere Date: Sep 8, 2010
  • Season #: 1
8.6

1. Jan 11, 2014
    With the name of Shawn Ryan, creator of arguably the best television drama of all time in The Shield, behind it Terriers was always going to be a show I would get around to watching regardless of fact that it was cancelled after just one season. Following the exploits of ex-cop (and recovering alcoholic) Hank Dolworth and his partner, former criminal Britt Pollack, as they run their unlicensed private investigation business.

Terriers fully deserved all the acclaim it received during its short run. Well written with great performances from the lead duo it is a shame we will never get to see more than thirteen episodes as this really could have developed into an excellent show.
  2. Jan 24, 2013
    Terriers first (and unfortunately only) season was near perfection. The story was captivating and the characters were interesting. The biggest thing that sets Terriers apart from the competition is its believability. I have never felt more connected to a group of fictional characters. Highly recommended.
  3. Apr 22, 2012
    This is one of my favorite shows of all time. Right up there with Breaking Bad and Battlestar Galactica. Donal Logue and Michael Raymond James are best friends in the show and in real life, so their chemistry is fantastic. The show is a great drama and can be very funny as well. Top notch righting and acting. The stand alone episodes are great, but the overarching plot is where the show really shines. It is a very intriguing mystery that really keeps you on the edge of your seat. Sadly it only got one season, but it wraps itself up nicely at the end. Do yourself a favor, watch this show. Expand
  4. Dec 29, 2011
    Very well-written crime drama with plenty of hooks to power through 13 episodes. Private investigators > police detectives. Donal Logue does an excellent job of playing another likable, relatable character.
  5. Nov 28, 2011
    We love this show and are heartbroken it's been canceled. The cast, writing, story etc were not the boring formula, but was outside the box, cleaver , witty, funny, maybe enough people didnt get to watch it yet. Bring it back again!
  6. ric
    Oct 31, 2011
    Jerky but smart, intensely humorous but in a dark way, fresh but full of scruffy people, lovable characters in deeply flawed love, unwashed human flaws and misgivings. Totally Californian. Loved it while it lasted
  7. Sep 19, 2011
    Wonderfully written and beautifully acted. And whenever I see an intelligent, engaging show like this actually make it onto the programming schedule it is followed - at least for me - by a slightly queasy feeling in my stomach that intimates imminent cancellation.
  8. Sep 19, 2011
    I enjoyed this show a lot and I wish Terriers would be revived. The show is a bit silly, but thats the charm. And the title song is great, it captures the the vibe of the story and the characters.
  9. Sep 4, 2011
    Awesome show. I believe it is going to be canceled, or already was. But I think this show for FX is a bit less crude humor, something new. It is a fairly action packed, and keeps me on my seat.
  10. Jun 4, 2011
    My husband started to watch the show with me and became a huge fan. He felt the hour was too short. We both looked forward to seeing the show the following week. We are sorry that they took off the show. Maybe USA can pick it up since they have such good shows.
  11. May 8, 2011
    Brilliant, Brilliant Brilliant. If you loved Breaking Bad, and was an admirer of Hank Williams in Californication then you will love this TV series. The ending of the 3rd episode is one of the best cliff hangers i have seen for a long long time. Genius. Watch and be thankful that this is an equal ( dare i say ..even maybe better ) to breaking Bad. Enjoy , Enjoy, enjoy.
  12. Dec 28, 2010
    Terriers begins a right ship that heads in the completely wrong direction. The two main stars have great chemistry outside of "Hank" being unrealistically altruistic at times. The episode by episode cases as well as multi-episode plots than transpire in the first half dozen episodes are well paced, however this is unfortunately a short lived peak for the show. We are then treated to soap opera like themes, endless cliffhanger sub-plots, uninspired cases and no overall direction related to the fact that they are two guys doing PI work. If you are looking for cases of romance and infidelity this is your show. If you are looking for a show mainly about two guys and their endeavors as PIs this is not a good place to look, Expand
  13. Dec 19, 2010
    This was one of the best new shows on telly and I find it hard to take that a show of this quality, gets cancelled after an amazing first season. When you see some of the long running and painful garbage that just keeps going and going... anyway don't let the fact that this show has been cancelled put you off from an amazing first season. Great cast, fresh and funny r.i.p terriers.
  14. Dec 5, 2010
    This show is amazing. I saw the commercials for the show earlier in the year and was intrigued by them as i didn't have a clue as to what the show was about. The more I heard and saw the more interested I got. When the show released I wasn't sure what to expect and was unsure about it at first. Early reviews seemed to support my theory that this show hadn't hooked everyone with it's pilot. I liked it enough though, as the characters are amazing and relatable, to keep watching. I am really glad I did too as Terriers has become one of my favorites and is one of those shows worth staying up late to watch. It's only gotten better as the season has progressed and I can't wait for another season. Expand
  15. Nov 27, 2010
    This is a fantastic ne show and rightfully deserves all the praise it gets. The acting is fantastic and the writing is brilliant to say the least. This is one of the best new show of the fall and is not to be missed.
  16. Nov 2, 2010
    Smartly written, well acted and an obvious refusal to go overboard. There is a simplicity to the shows format but a true depth to both the characters and the world they inhabit. You can enjoy it for the witty humor, original story lines or (hopefully) both. It is still too early to tell if there will be a larger arc to this first season but the first 5 episodes string together nicely to encourage the viewer to keep up and to also make itself accessible to new viewers. Few shows this new season seem to offer the same fun and attraction that Terriers does. Try the first three episodes on and you'll have a very good picture for what you're in for. More than likely, you'll like what you see. Expand
  17. Oct 26, 2010
    "Terriers" is currently my favorite show. It's smart, funny, well written, and well acted. Best written show I've seen in awhile. Dialogue and story telling. The characters are so well drawn. Complex and real. I don't see how anyone wouldn't get absorbed in Hank's and Britt's lives, if they give the show a chance. Too bad more people aren't watching. It's much better than any program on network. I hope FX sticks with it based on critical reception. Expand
  18. Oct 21, 2010
    They really need to separate pilot reviews from season reviews. Admittedly, the pilot was awkward. A strange blend of drama, comedy, and gruff.

From the second episode on, the show really hits its stride. I don't want to give away too much, but the conflicts and story arcs are constantly opening and closing in abrupt, natural ways. It may take a while for the show to really take off with
    viewers, but Terriers fills the dark comedy/drama void that Dexter left for me a while ago. Expand
  19. Oct 17, 2010
    this is an honestly great show....more like a long movie because there is a continuation in storyline.

but the heart of the show are the main characters - britt, hank, katie, steph......they make you care for them. they are people who you can identify with.

please FX suits - don't cancel
  20. Oct 13, 2010
    Easily one of my favorite new shows of the fall season. Filled with witty dialogue, zany cases and a few stellar one-liners, Terriers is yet another great show from the already fierce F/X line-up.
  21. Oct 10, 2010
    Quickly endearing show with well developed characters. Very unique and full of surprises. I'm glad this show is on FX and not a major TV channel--it is so good, a major channel would quickly cancel it. I will definitely be watching it.
  22. Oct 8, 2010
    This show is really growing on me. Big fan of Donal Logue and the guy from TrueBlood does a great job as well... How catchy is that damn theme song?!
  23. BKM
    Oct 5, 2010
    This new series is every bit as scruffy and endearing as the breed of dogs in its title, but it is surprisingly much more humane and complex than expected. Logue and James share an effortless chemistry as the two freelancing detectives that serves the series well. But beyond the sometimes odd cases and quirky humor is a show about seriously damaged human beings trying to do the best they can with the hand they've been dealt. So far I'd say it's the best new series of the fall. Expand
  24. Sep 24, 2010
    This is yet another great show put together by FX. The main characters work so well together as a duo and the supporting cast just add to that. I would recommend this show to pretty much everyone. Its a great hour of television when there is so much undesirable shows out there. I will definitely be tuning in each week to watch this show!
  25. Sep 23, 2010
    It doesn't have the "hook" that FX tends to have for their other original shows (which maybe explains why the promos had me thinking FX had created a live-action talking dog show), but I've really enjoyed the first few episodes I've seen. I hope it sticks around for a while (seems like FX usually gives at least 2 seasons to even their under-performing shows) because it seems to be finding its rhythm with each subsequent episode. Expand
  26. Sep 21, 2010
    Two weeks ago, my Dad was bemoaning the fact that there werenâ
  27. Sep 19, 2010
    Don't have much to say, I saw the pilot its well made and has a mood or feel to it. It is well acted and pretty well put together. But it just bored me, alot.
  28. Sep 18, 2010
    Now that Monk has reached its finale, it is a pleasant surprise to see Terriers - there are many parallels between these two private eye shows and some excellent differences. My only complaint about Terriers is that Hank and Britt speak so fast and so softly that I have to keep the captioning on to catch their drift. Very amusing. I like all the surprises and carrying plots forward, the legal ramifications, the seedy side of L.A. Go, dogs! Expand
  29. Sep 16, 2010
    Terriers is funny, original, scruffy, endearing. The cast is great. Watch it: you'll be smiling the whole time. Pining after the ex is a bit tired and out of character, but I'm hooked nonetheless.
  30. Sep 13, 2010
    I don't know why I'm so attracted to stories about losers (probably because they parallel my own life) but this is my kind of show. It's tailor made for Donal Logue who seems so suited for roles as down on his luck outsiders that I have to believe he's had personal experience.
  31. Sep 9, 2010
    I loved the "feel" of the first episode. The cast is great (including the love interests of the two lead actors), and the guy from True Blood is a treat as the side-kick to the mangy lead. It has that Fletch feel, but the characters are less snarky and more accessible.
  32. Sep 9, 2010
    The pilot was so-so. Two slacker private investigators, one an ex-cop that (cliche of cliches) still has a few law-enforcement peripheral resources to do things like triangulate the position of a cel phone (and have it done almost instantly).

It better get more engaging, and witty, over the next few episodes, or it will join Rubicon on the "got boring fast" list.

1. Reviewed by: Alan Sepinwall
    It's not an ambitious show. It doesn't have the historical sweep and dazzling visuals of something like HBO's upcoming "Boardwalk Empire." Yet in trying to tell good old-fashioned detective stories featuring a pair of leads I kept wanting to spend time with, it quickly joined "Boardwalk" as one of my two favorite new shows of this fall.
    Here's one of the most offbeat new shows of the new season. Also one of the best. [13 Sep 2010, p.48]
  3. Reviewed by: Troy Patterson
    A typical episode of Terriers jolts abruptly from cutesy escapades to head-cracking fights, from loud escapism to misty tenderness, from easygoing comedy to strained seriousness. The tonal unevenness feels less like the conscious product of an ambitious design than the unplanned consequence of an exceedingly ambitious one.