The Assets : Season 1

• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 2, 2014
5.9

1. Jan 10, 2014
    Fascinating story which I remember from its actual occurrence years ago. The problems I have with this show stem from its incredibly uneven and confusing writing and a level of acting that barely exceeds afternoon soap opera standards. The Americans all seem a bit stupid (except for our heroine) but considering how obvious Aldrich Ames's unexplained new wealth was maybe that is true.Fascinating story which I remember from its actual occurrence years ago. The problems I have with this show stem from its incredibly uneven and confusing writing and a level of acting that barely exceeds afternoon soap opera standards. The Americans all seem a bit stupid (except for our heroine) but considering how obvious Aldrich Ames's unexplained new wealth was maybe that is true. The Russians are all gruff and insulting and, well, "comic Russian".

I will continue to watch the series only because the actual events fascinated me but I feel that this production belongs more on a high school stage than on a major TV network.

1. Reviewed by: Jeff Korbelik
    Mar 27, 2014
    In Assets, I wanted more about Ames and his motives--and maybe that will come later--but this is Grimes’ story, right down to how her job affected her home life.
  2. Reviewed by: Dorothy Rabinowitz
    Jan 9, 2014
    The series, unevenly written, frequently given to strange tonal lapses, is nevertheless lively, its dramatization of events abetted by its setting.
  3. Reviewed by: Joanne Ostrow
    Jan 2, 2014
    Not a brilliant effort, but worth a look.