The Assets : Season 1

• Network: ABC
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 2, 2014
5.9

1. Jan 11, 2014
    An interesting tale made dull and stolid by poor writing, listless direction, and a largely Brit cast. Le Carre or Deighton it ain't. I'm hoping with all the different directors and writers it'll get some life.
  2. Jan 29, 2014
    The night I taped this pilot we had a power outage, so I had to search up the episode on the network website. It was okay. The story is interesting, but the actors are boring. It did remind me, however, that I'm glad the 80s, with their shoulder pads, punk rock styles and perms are over, so A+ for costuming.

So much of the show seemed to be in dark light. It was almost as if they

So much of the show seemed to be in dark light. It was almost as if they had found an old copy of a film from the 80s, but forgot to restore it for HD TV.

I will say this, though. I will be buying the book. This is about an important part of American history and having a chance to understand it from the viewpoint of the people who were there is worth the price of a book.
  3. Oct 2, 2014
    Good and potentially compelling concept made into soap opera quality by wooden acting mixed with overly-emotional, huskily-whispered or loudly argued exchanges between CIA personnel. In what world is it that every CEO or head doctor or chief of staff is a very young, perfectly made-up, blond woman? Jodie Whittaker may be a good actress, but in this series, she comes off as quiteGood and potentially compelling concept made into soap opera quality by wooden acting mixed with overly-emotional, huskily-whispered or loudly argued exchanges between CIA personnel. In what world is it that every CEO or head doctor or chief of staff is a very young, perfectly made-up, blond woman? Jodie Whittaker may be a good actress, but in this series, she comes off as quite unbelievable as a major player in the CIA. It may be the directing, it may be the producers, or everyone involved, but making a potentially tense, political drama into another witless, poorly acted series was not a brilliant idea. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Jeff Korbelik
    Mar 27, 2014
    In Assets, I wanted more about Ames and his motives--and maybe that will come later--but this is Grimes’ story, right down to how her job affected her home life.
  2. Reviewed by: Dorothy Rabinowitz
    Jan 9, 2014
    The series, unevenly written, frequently given to strange tonal lapses, is nevertheless lively, its dramatization of events abetted by its setting.
  3. Reviewed by: Joanne Ostrow
    Jan 2, 2014
    Not a brilliant effort, but worth a look.