The Bible

3.9

1. Mar 5, 2013
    The best history channel documentary since "Mankind". It is the perfect blend of history and biblical significance. It is a great documentary that everyone should watch. It's awesome.
  2. Mar 11, 2013
    First tv show I've been hooked on since 24! Given the subject I'm surprised the reviews are this good. Each story is sticking with me in an unexplainable way. These are classics that will still be watched long after higher rated shows are forgotten. It speaks the truth plainly. We wouldn't know of this story if Christ had not rose from the dead. Israel would not be here if the world hadFirst tv show I've been hooked on since 24! Given the subject I'm surprised the reviews are this good. Each story is sticking with me in an unexplainable way. These are classics that will still be watched long after higher rated shows are forgotten. It speaks the truth plainly. We wouldn't know of this story if Christ had not rose from the dead. Israel would not be here if the world had its way today or throughout history. The film has never been more relevant. Expand
  3. Mar 25, 2013
    This show is very impressive. Its production values are high, its cast dedicated and talented, and its musical score composed by none other than Hans Zimmer is a true masterpiece. Strong conematography and powerful performances make this a worthy attempt to capture the spirit of the greatest story ever told. Haters will hate, especially after that little controversy regarding Satan beingThis show is very impressive. Its production values are high, its cast dedicated and talented, and its musical score composed by none other than Hans Zimmer is a true masterpiece. Strong conematography and powerful performances make this a worthy attempt to capture the spirit of the greatest story ever told. Haters will hate, especially after that little controversy regarding Satan being portrayed so *ahem* accurately, but the show's historic ratings speak for themselves. Peace. Expand
  4. Mar 28, 2013
    Very well written screenplay, leaving the bulk of the scriptures. One of the best reproductions of the most important book for humanity. The editing is brilliant making the show very dynamic. Everything contributes to want to know more about all these fantastic stories. I recommend.
  5. Oct 9, 2013
    I am late to the party and watched it cleaning out my DVR. I find it very interesting other reviews use tense that shows they did not watch the show and then condemn it. If you want a page by page account of the Bible you will be disappointed. If you are going to get hung up on accents of characters or are the actors as ethnic as they should be you will be disappointed, but overall itI am late to the party and watched it cleaning out my DVR. I find it very interesting other reviews use tense that shows they did not watch the show and then condemn it. If you want a page by page account of the Bible you will be disappointed. If you are going to get hung up on accents of characters or are the actors as ethnic as they should be you will be disappointed, but overall it is a well done show. The major plot points hold true. I think some people are hypersensitive. When a review says there are too many things wrong to mention you have an ax to grind. Overall it is well done and enjoyable show. Expand
  6. May 14, 2014
    This is the most professionally done film on the Bible I've ever seen, it has a very unknown cast and they are terrific the acting it top quality I was surprised, I don't understand why The Bible has so many negative reviews but there is no truth to them.

This show was excellent overall and I highly recommend it.
  7. Sep 13, 2016
    I feel as though I have a duty to review this show. Why? Because I haven't believed in a long time, and it has turned my life around. That's how good it is. The same people who hated Jesus in the beginning still hate him now, out of fear, or whatever reason compels them to attack Christianity, and make no mistake, Christianity is under full on assault by the lamestream media. I liked veryI feel as though I have a duty to review this show. Why? Because I haven't believed in a long time, and it has turned my life around. That's how good it is. The same people who hated Jesus in the beginning still hate him now, out of fear, or whatever reason compels them to attack Christianity, and make no mistake, Christianity is under full on assault by the lamestream media. I liked very much how it portrays the Jewish Pharisees in a realistic and fair manner. Some of them are enemies of Christ, but not all, and some of my favorite moments are the confrontations between Caiaphas and Nicodemus. At first, Nicodemus is completely against the new prophet, who is said to be the very son of god, but gradually, after many awesome moments, he ends up converting. You can see the conflict between his tradition and the possibility that this man may be who he says he is. The first Pharisee who confronts Jesus is also wonderfully convincing, as he's driven completely by the fear of losing Jews to a powerful prophet he doesn't trust. He seems convinced that he's doing right by resisting, even though Jesus is the way. And Saul, a.k.a., Paul of Tarsus... Wow... Now that is an amazing actor. He hates Jesus with every fiber of his being when we first meet him, because he honestly thinks he isn't the messiah, but after being blinded and subsequently recruited and saved, he becomes a powerhouse for Christ, preaching to his brethren with unparalleled tenacity. Hans Zimmer also composed the soundtrack, and Jesus' triumph over crucifixion is a song that can be listened to thousands of times and literally give you goosebumps every single time you hear it... So that's an honest review from a person who hasn't strongly identified himself as christian for decades. I don't think you will ever see a better representation of our lord and savior than this. It doesn't pick on the Jewish faith, because it shows the Pharisees as powerful men who fear losing their influence, something that has not and will never change, as it is widespread across the world, and all religions. 10/10. Do yourself a favor and experience this show for yourself, regardless of which race or nation you were born into. Expand

There's no character work here, no interesting reinterpretations of a classic text, no inspired acting. Just cardboard characters surrounded by CGI frippery.
  2. Reviewed by: Robert Lloyd
    Mar 4, 2013
    The Bible according to Burnett and Downey is a handsome and generally expensive-looking production, but it is also flat and often tedious, even when it tends to the hysterical, and as hard as the Hans Zimmer soundtrack strains to keep you on the edge of your sofa.
  3. Reviewed by: Glenn Garvin
    Mar 4, 2013
    With the pace of a music video, the characterizations of a comic book and the political-correctness quotient of a Berkeley vegetarian commune this production makes Cecil B. DeMille look like a sober theologian.