The Big Brain Theory : Season 1

6.6

1. May 11, 2013
    I love the idea of this show, however it does appear to be based on the common reality show basis i.e. keep the players who are the most dramatic and axe the ones that are too weak to be on television. I would also like to see the equations that they use to formulate the ideas, both from the producers of the challenges and the teams.
    My other concern is that in the real world there is
    My other concern is that in the real world there is time for testing. Science usually involves testing, and more testing. It is because the show eliminates that aspect that I have mixed reviews.
  2. Ndi
    May 3, 2013
    As a non-American, I find the show pretty good, but near unwatchable. Every 5 second there is a cut to everyone gossiping and offering opinions on stuff they don't know work or not. It's unbearable, 5 seconds build, 5 seconds some woman talks about her feelings.

I agree it's a cut above other reality shows, but a better format would be even better. You don't see the Mythbusters going in a booth to badmouth each other and they don't interrupt the experiments to show me what the camera guy thinks. So many shows do this, build ideas, and they are all watchable.

I have an attention span, no need to keep me interested. I didn't even see the math, I had to pause. But there are 5 minutes of a 3D animation of rails. I know how rails work.

Also, since when is 120 IQ "big brain"? Again with the token cast? Bring me 6 contestants, and one woman, one back dude, one quirky nerd and one presentable jock.
  3. Jun 5, 2013
    I truely enjoy the idea of this show but the episode I saw the teams were suppose to build a machine that could feed a group of people. the judges choose the team that built a pancake machine. That was pathetic to me. I could have made a better machine myself. I was not impressed by any of the people or ideas. These people are suppose to be really smart but I don't see it.
tbd

No score yet - based on 3 Critics

1. Reviewed by: Neil Genzlinger
    May 1, 2013
    The usual stuff of such shows--arguments among team members; a race against the clock--is served up, though here the disagreements are peppered with phrases out of a physics class about kinetic friction, static friction and so on.
  2. Reviewed by: David Wiegand
    Apr 29, 2013
    In the end, we come away from Big Brain Theory realizing that nerds can be just as insufferable as anyone, and just as interesting. The only thing that seems to separate the competitors on Big Brain from those on “Survivor” is that the nerds wear more clothes.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Apr 29, 2013
    In the broad strokes, this looks and feels like almost every other made-for-TV elimination game.