• Network: NBC
  • Series Premiere Date: Jan 6, 2006
5.0

1. junec
    Jan 14, 2006
    I love to see this family with their everday problems .
  2. JanV
    Jan 15, 2006
    I'd be disappointed if this show didn't continue. Very well written.
  3. PaticiaS
    Jan 21, 2006
    This is a good show. One that touches on humanities frailties. Too bad some of the evangelistic church folks are afraid to see this type of TV. I didn't see any outcry over the silly sitcoms such as Dharma and Greg and Two and a Half Men that depict sex pretty openly. This show at least gives you a chance to see in a different light.
  4. JeffH
    Jan 22, 2006
    I watched the first night and regret losing 2 hours of my life.
  5. MJohnson
    Oct 22, 2006
    It was thought provoking and such a relief to see a program grappling with common, though hidden, issues. It might have tried too hard to deal with a lot in a short time. Considering that most of what's offered on network TV is violent and graphically so, The Book of Daniel almost made me believe that NBC was a humane and compassionate network. I don't think that anymore.
  6. JarrettF
    Jan 20, 2006
    I see plenty of talk by Christians of how this show is demeaning to the religion, offensive and whatnot. Certainly understandable. However, I think that this is more of a gut reaction, a front, that hides what's really going on underneath the surface, the true meaning of these retaliative remarks. I believe that the answer is simple and clear. This show is a bad show. Bad show. As I see plenty of talk by Christians of how this show is demeaning to the religion, offensive and whatnot. Certainly understandable. However, I think that this is more of a gut reaction, a front, that hides what's really going on underneath the surface, the true meaning of these retaliative remarks. I believe that the answer is simple and clear. This show is a bad show. Bad show. As in, it has a set of characters, actors, and a plot that no one really gives a damn about, pun totally intended. Therefore, I think everybody who felt offended or in my case truly annoyed by this show should write a nice little letter to NBC reminding them of their current desperate situation, and how surely their show was trying to stir up controversy and lure in a few extra viewers, but really in the end just took mainstream bile and dumped it on the viewers' laps. This show, in my humble opinion, is by no means a political attack on any belief system or party, neither by NBC nor by its creators, but is rather just useless, putrid non-art, something upon which I think members on all sides of the vast political spectrum can come the agree. Expand
  7. STEPHENB
    Pure Trash!!
  8. raymondk
    Jan 24, 2006
    sacreligious and just plain...not funny or amuzing. Why is the entertainment community so bent on portraying christians with such distain?
  9. LoniC
    Jan 5, 2006
    This is offensive to Christians...We do care.
  10. KirtK
    Jan 5, 2006
    Bravo
  11. CL
    Jan 6, 2006
    Poorly written, unlikable characters, all the dysfunction of life thrown into one family. And I don't know any clergy who live in houses like that!
  12. C.Kaye
    Jan 7, 2006
    Good ideas, but frenetically developed... This could be a winning series IF better psychology is used in not putting in so many characters per/show and developing the plots in depth instead of skimming the surface.
  13. TeddiS
    Jan 7, 2006
    I think it it's just what it was supposed to be, funny, and entertaining. I would give it a ten, but I fear a savage backlash from the intellectual , conservative, a-holes . If anyone can't understand or accept the timeliness and need for a show like this , they can switch to the bible thumping evnagelists programs. So loosen up and ,relax and go to bed laughing .
  14. donnas
    Jan 7, 2006
    i havent laughed that hard in year great show
  15. JudyC
    Jan 7, 2006
    best tv show of this century very human ..a relief to the massas that not all are perfect..show covers real life on ALL levels...bravo !!
  16. hristopherr
    Jan 7, 2006
    I am an "cradle" Episcopalian and know that my church deals with real human issues. They are not living in a fantasy land like some others. Most of the show was possible with moments of being over the top. In our culture it is "ok" to slam-dunk any and all WASPs, but be carful elsewhere.
  17. JPalmer
    Jan 7, 2006
    Finally, something that is a little over the top, but at least some people might realize that life in a Christian family isn't what it really appears to be. I've seen similar things, although not so over the top as this, but all and all ... similarities.
  18. JimP
    Jan 7, 2006
    So, Jesus helps Daniel find his drugs in the desk drawer....give the few of us who still respect Christianity a break, will you?
  19. BarbaraL
    Jan 7, 2006
    Refeshingly funny, entertaining and thought provoking
  20. SharonM
    I loved it!!
  21. MaryS
    Wonderful has an English flavor. Superb acting. PBS meets HBO on National TV
  22. MaggieM
    Jan 7, 2006
    The only redeeming character was the Bishop's wife - Perhaps the writer could only write what he knows. Horrible Show!
  23. RickyM
    Jan 7, 2006
    Highly watchable. The satire will make us examine some of our values, and if you look deep enough, you can see that we are are struggling to be the best that we can be. Even our ministers suffer and are human.
  24. Jamesw
    Jan 7, 2006
    One of the best shows on television.
  25. PatrickC
    Jan 8, 2006
    not funny. not dramatic. characters unworthy of any attention.
  26. JohnB
    Jan 8, 2006
    This show is so over-the-top it made me wince multiple times. Gawd this is bad TV.
  27. maryf
    Jan 9, 2006
    I enjoyed the show because it showed what all familys at some time in their life experience. by that I mean Drugs, Drinking, Sex even in the life of religious leaders. What do these Christians as they call themselves, think why Jesus was sent to earth for, if not to associate with the troubled of the world. Read your Bible and find out who he associated with.
  28. JerryD
    Jan 9, 2006
    Have you got a -1 rating?
  29. DonnaJ
    Feb 20, 2006
    It is just so funny. We loved it.. The fear factor reality tv is just not cutting it.wThis is good solid laughter. Reminds me of SOAP. Noorse than the fear factor, shot them up cop shows High sexual content ect..
  30. SGordon
    Feb 20, 2006
    Hope this is picked up on cable.
  31. tonybob
    Feb 5, 2006
    I have yet to see this show but i really want too, christian/ catholic people piss me off greatly. I am speaking as a former christian until my eyes opened. they protest everything. i dont see why this show if so controversial although i understand why christians would find it so because everything is to them because its about a priest who does drugs and jesus is in it last time i checked I have yet to see this show but i really want too, christian/ catholic people piss me off greatly. I am speaking as a former christian until my eyes opened. they protest everything. i dont see why this show if so controversial although i understand why christians would find it so because everything is to them because its about a priest who does drugs and jesus is in it last time i checked priest where raping little boys in the aynus but thats not as bad as him doing drugs Expand
  32. Lance
    Feb 7, 2006
    Shop this to HBO...it must survive!!
  33. RayanM
    Jun 18, 2006
    I think this show is so much bout life because you do not all all ways know what is going on in a faimly like how the dad pops pills and the son is gay
  34. PrestonW
    Jan 11, 2006
    Superlative cast and direction. Excellent plot-lines. Highly watchable. I know what I'll be doing on Friday nights!
  35. AmyM
    Jan 11, 2006
    Too many dysfunctional characters, but still pretty funny.
  36. ChristinaV
    Jan 13, 2006
    This is definitely worth a look, though probably not for the theologically rigid or faint of heart. In tone it reminds me of "Six Feet Under". Ellen Burstyn is a hoot and Aidan Quinn has grown up so nicely!
  37. DeboraM
    Jan 21, 2006
    Well written;well scripted even if a little derivative. Emminately watchable especially for the thinking segment of viewing public--i.e. those not amused by bachlorettes, staged amateur hours and other cheesy shows aimed at the under educated and intelligence challanged public.
  38. parick
    Jan 22, 2006
    in gods words Perfection it's staory more about a famelys problems than the chuch with i like going to church its more a about problems'love'heart'soul'overcomeing defect'and exceptance this show stands out like deperate house wife funny and drama like law &order and comander and chef it wonderful amd moveingin the heart and it show what some of r problems in gods words Perfection it's staory more about a famelys problems than the chuch with i like going to church its more a about problems'love'heart'soul'overcomeing defect'and exceptance this show stands out like deperate house wife funny and drama like law &order and comander and chef it wonderful amd moveingin the heart and it show what some of r problems and what it does to r life and this show could be life changeing watch and u will love till it makes u stay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  39. beng
    Jan 24, 2006
    Not too bad. Its interesting, but the characters, and this is really hard to describe, seem somehow based on a MADE-UP stereotype. They all seem totally one sided.
  40. Marha
    Jan 25, 2006
    So fresh and different yet it is SO real!
  41. jsunes.
    Jan 27, 2006
    one of the most refreshing new shows i have seen yet. love it
  42. MarthaR
    Jan 21, 2007
    Refreshing - crazy like life - I should know - I'm a Bishop's daughter!

1. A well-intentioned drama with a few comedic quirks but without depth or greater purpose.
    The cast is heavenly in The Book of Daniel; the writing isn't.
  3. Reviewed by: James Poniewozik
    You may feel the faith-and-family themes could be handled better on cable--mainly because they have been.