• Network: NBC

2. tttttt
    Im Obsessed With This Show Already
  3. ReaP
    Jan 7, 2006
    Overacted in the beginning, the characters finally settled into just a little larger than life as the community came together. Aidan and Ellen played their parts with finesse and appealing humanity. I found it good fun and entertaining. Just might breath some good humored life into the greater Episcopalian community. I wish ALL religious groups could have as much fun with their own Overacted in the beginning, the characters finally settled into just a little larger than life as the community came together. Aidan and Ellen played their parts with finesse and appealing humanity. I found it good fun and entertaining. Just might breath some good humored life into the greater Episcopalian community. I wish ALL religious groups could have as much fun with their own foibles. Jesus' part was played a little too light and fluffy for my taste for such a powerful and impactful man...but it was really courageous for writers to attempt a charicaturization of him that was bound to attract major dissention to begin with. Expand
  4. AP
    Jan 6, 2006
    I thought the program shows lots of promise. Yes there are a lot of dysfunctional people, but this provide lots of room for an honest look at problems we all face.
  5. DaveL
    Jan 6, 2006
    Won't last because it is too intelligent for most viewers and when you piss off the Christian right with a sensitive, compassionate Jesus who is your best friend you better watch out. Watch it until the Christain right drives it off of the air.
  6. CindiB
    Jan 7, 2006
    This was a funny show! Why does everyone have to take everything so seriously. Loosen up people!
  7. karenk
    We loved it, it is like a 21st century SOAP
  8. ShirleyJ
    Why not!!?? I liked it
  9. SuzanneE
    Jan 8, 2006
    I thought the program was a real hoot. Loved the cast and thought the whole premise of the show refreshing.
  10. StevenD
    Jan 9, 2006
    Very good show if you look past the silly controversy.
  11. SandraM
    Jan 9, 2006
    I'm as excited by this show as I was by DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES before they killed off Bree's husband. WASP families fascinate me. Having Jesus shown live is fine. I can't imagine that anyone other than a fanatic will object. My only problem with the show is that it's on opposite another favorite of mine: NUMB3RS, which I will now have to watch in rerun.
  12. ernie
    Jan 9, 2006
    Funny tv -people need to remember its for entertainmant
  13. deb
    Feb 4, 2006
    I love the show! The sarcasm is great. you canm go on the nbc website and view the unaired episodes from the last few weeks. It is too bad that the network did not have enough courage to give the show a little longer to prove itself.
  14. PRedstone
    Jan 14, 2006
    Like the stained glass station breaks, the writing is colorful with harsh outlines. That's what black comedy is supposed to be like. The style captures the outrageous in the mundane. I love it. Keep it up. Good work!!! Great cast! Susanna Thompson is fabulous!
  15. KarlaB
    Jan 16, 2006
    I'm tired of stupid, repetitive sitcoms and brainless reality shows. The Book of Daniel is fresh and thought-provoking and genuinely entertaining. I don't get the uproar about it. It's a better show on NBC than that godawful "Surface."
  16. LaurieannD
    Jan 29, 2006
    It's a shame NBC is willing to cut programs like Book of Daniel, but keep those that show, and contain vilolence and sexual abuse. I think BOD is well written and should be taken as a mix of comedy and drama. So, who really knows what Jesus looked like? Not NBC or the critics.
  17. clook
    Jan 5, 2006
    I find it odd to vote on a show before I have seen it. Noone can speak for GOD, but this show has caused many to explore problems and issues that have been considered taboo. If this Jesus is compassionate and understands "turn thy other cheek", then no worries.
  18. MikeM
    Jan 6, 2006
    It has potential. Don't give up on it yet.
  19. DanH
    Jan 6, 2006
    Intriguing. Characters are a little overblown, but I like the interactions.
  20. MyronP
    Jan 7, 2006
    Excellent show. Realistic and challenging.
  21. JaneC
    Jan 7, 2006
    Keep this ambitious show on until the plots become more developed. It is witty, funny, clever, and the protrayal of Jesus as a friend is worth the time spent watching the show. It isn't a sacchrine show, nor is Jesus portrayed as such...the actors are superb.
  22. AnaK
    Jan 7, 2006
    Smart, funny, touching. The best new network show since Law & Order: SVU. I usually stick to HBO and Showtime for television programs, but I will be watching "The Book of Daniel" faithfully, if you'll pardon the small pun.
  23. JohnD
    Jan 7, 2006
    Excellent drama that's real enough to get all the dysfunctional whiny fundamentalists wound up in their usual mindless tizzy. You go Daniel!
  24. Annie
    Nicely irreverant humor.
  25. Cris
    Jan 7, 2006
    I thought it was real life.
  26. Peter
    Jan 7, 2006
    Phenomenal show.....groundbreaking. Should be used for discussions of religious topics in churches. It is interesting to note that Jesus never "told" Daniel what to do, but rather told him that he will know what to do.
  27. DickD
    Jan 7, 2006
    Can't see where the religious controvery comes in. The show's depiction of Jesus is correct as our Lord gives no easy answers, shows love and concern, gently lets Daniel know when he has vered off the path, and has a great sense of humor. The show falters inthat the characters are all too one dimensional - troubled. You need some stability to contrast with the chaotic. I'll Can't see where the religious controvery comes in. The show's depiction of Jesus is correct as our Lord gives no easy answers, shows love and concern, gently lets Daniel know when he has vered off the path, and has a great sense of humor. The show falters inthat the characters are all too one dimensional - troubled. You need some stability to contrast with the chaotic. I'll watch it certaining a cut above "housewives and Sex in the City. Expand
  28. MikeS
    Jan 8, 2006
    I loved the show's debut and felt that despite the varied roster of familial problems, what was presented at its' base was a warm, loving family. The fact that the problems had by all the characters were somewhat over the top only created amusement and interest. It made the show fun. The acting was superb all through the ensemble cast.
  29. PatriciaB
    Jan 8, 2006
    for once, something funny, and a bit irreverent, without being "dirty". No one is killed, beaten or sexually abused. Looking forward to the next episode. Loved it..
  30. DAVIDEM
    Jan 8, 2006
    Fantastic television for a change. Open your minds people and learn something about real life!
  31. LeeF
    Jan 9, 2006
    Great cast, great setup. Enjoyed it thoroughly.
  32. CatherineC
    Jan 9, 2006
    Great program, right on for todays issues..funny in a very poiuet way. Please stay on
  33. MargieG
    Feb 2, 2006
    This show is close to home for many and they just don't want to admit it.It just may be an eye opener. Great comedy. Thanks M.G.
  34. Pat
    Feb 4, 2006
    What a GREAT Show!!! How crazy this world has become when a few can determine what the majority of us can and can not view. I change the channel when I don't care for the programing, are these so righteous folks fingers broken??? BRING IT BACK for those of us who did enjoy it.
  35. JoanN
    Jan 12, 2006
    Amusing and entertaining with interesting characters.
  36. MaryJoP
    Jan 12, 2006
    Wish "Book of Daniel" was on cable w fewer commercials, and w the ability to expand on the well written, funnny, poignant material it holds, but any way we are able to air it is appreciated. Kudos to NBC for picking up The Book of Daniel. I've seen the premiere episodes (2 back to back ) and look forward to the balance of the shows to air. The actors are tops. Big fan of Aidan Quinn, Wish "Book of Daniel" was on cable w fewer commercials, and w the ability to expand on the well written, funnny, poignant material it holds, but any way we are able to air it is appreciated. Kudos to NBC for picking up The Book of Daniel. I've seen the premiere episodes (2 back to back ) and look forward to the balance of the shows to air. The actors are tops. Big fan of Aidan Quinn, Ellen Burstyn and wonderful to see Susanna Thompson back on the air after cancellation by ABC of "Once and Again." S. Thompson should have much more TV exposure for those of us who aren't able to see her stage work. She's got such theatrical sensibility in timing both in drama and comedy, and all in between. Hope to see more of Thompson's work. Expand
  37. cjjohns
    Jan 13, 2006
    One of the funniest shows in a long time
  38. junec
    Jan 14, 2006
    I love to see this family with their everday problems .
  39. JanV
    Jan 15, 2006
    I'd be disappointed if this show didn't continue. Very well written.
  40. PaticiaS
    Jan 21, 2006
    This is a good show. One that touches on humanities frailties. Too bad some of the evangelistic church folks are afraid to see this type of TV. I didn't see any outcry over the silly sitcoms such as Dharma and Greg and Two and a Half Men that depict sex pretty openly. This show at least gives you a chance to see in a different light.
  41. MJohnson
    Oct 22, 2006
    It was thought provoking and such a relief to see a program grappling with common, though hidden, issues. It might have tried too hard to deal with a lot in a short time. Considering that most of what's offered on network TV is violent and graphically so, The Book of Daniel almost made me believe that NBC was a humane and compassionate network. I don't think that anymore.
  42. KirtK
    Jan 5, 2006
    Bravo
  43. TeddiS
    Jan 7, 2006
    I think it it's just what it was supposed to be, funny, and entertaining. I would give it a ten, but I fear a savage backlash from the intellectual , conservative, a-holes . If anyone can't understand or accept the timeliness and need for a show like this , they can switch to the bible thumping evnagelists programs. So loosen up and ,relax and go to bed laughing .
  44. donnas
    Jan 7, 2006
    i havent laughed that hard in year great show
  45. JudyC
    Jan 7, 2006
    best tv show of this century very human ..a relief to the massas that not all are perfect..show covers real life on ALL levels...bravo !!
  46. hristopherr
    Jan 7, 2006
    I am an "cradle" Episcopalian and know that my church deals with real human issues. They are not living in a fantasy land like some others. Most of the show was possible with moments of being over the top. In our culture it is "ok" to slam-dunk any and all WASPs, but be carful elsewhere.
  47. JPalmer
    Jan 7, 2006
    Finally, something that is a little over the top, but at least some people might realize that life in a Christian family isn't what it really appears to be. I've seen similar things, although not so over the top as this, but all and all ... similarities.
  48. BarbaraL
    Jan 7, 2006
    Refeshingly funny, entertaining and thought provoking
  49. SharonM
    I loved it!!
  50. MaryS
    Wonderful has an English flavor. Superb acting. PBS meets HBO on National TV
  51. RickyM
    Jan 7, 2006
    Highly watchable. The satire will make us examine some of our values, and if you look deep enough, you can see that we are are struggling to be the best that we can be. Even our ministers suffer and are human.
  52. Jamesw
    Jan 7, 2006
    One of the best shows on television.
  53. maryf
    Jan 9, 2006
    I enjoyed the show because it showed what all familys at some time in their life experience. by that I mean Drugs, Drinking, Sex even in the life of religious leaders. What do these Christians as they call themselves, think why Jesus was sent to earth for, if not to associate with the troubled of the world. Read your Bible and find out who he associated with.
  54. DonnaJ
    Feb 20, 2006
    It is just so funny. We loved it.. The fear factor reality tv is just not cutting it.wThis is good solid laughter. Reminds me of SOAP. Noorse than the fear factor, shot them up cop shows High sexual content ect..
  55. SGordon
    Feb 20, 2006
    Hope this is picked up on cable.
  56. tonybob
    Feb 5, 2006
    I have yet to see this show but i really want too, christian/ catholic people piss me off greatly. I am speaking as a former christian until my eyes opened. they protest everything. i dont see why this show if so controversial although i understand why christians would find it so because everything is to them because its about a priest who does drugs and jesus is in it last time i checked I have yet to see this show but i really want too, christian/ catholic people piss me off greatly. I am speaking as a former christian until my eyes opened. they protest everything. i dont see why this show if so controversial although i understand why christians would find it so because everything is to them because its about a priest who does drugs and jesus is in it last time i checked priest where raping little boys in the aynus but thats not as bad as him doing drugs Expand
  57. Lance
    Feb 7, 2006
    Shop this to HBO...it must survive!!
  58. RayanM
    Jun 18, 2006
    I think this show is so much bout life because you do not all all ways know what is going on in a faimly like how the dad pops pills and the son is gay
  59. PrestonW
    Jan 11, 2006
    Superlative cast and direction. Excellent plot-lines. Highly watchable. I know what I'll be doing on Friday nights!
  60. AmyM
    Jan 11, 2006
    Too many dysfunctional characters, but still pretty funny.
  61. ChristinaV
    Jan 13, 2006
    This is definitely worth a look, though probably not for the theologically rigid or faint of heart. In tone it reminds me of "Six Feet Under". Ellen Burstyn is a hoot and Aidan Quinn has grown up so nicely!
  62. DeboraM
    Jan 21, 2006
    Well written;well scripted even if a little derivative. Emminately watchable especially for the thinking segment of viewing public--i.e. those not amused by bachlorettes, staged amateur hours and other cheesy shows aimed at the under educated and intelligence challanged public.
  63. parick
    Jan 22, 2006
    in gods words Perfection it's staory more about a famelys problems than the chuch with i like going to church its more a about problems'love'heart'soul'overcomeing defect'and exceptance this show stands out like deperate house wife funny and drama like law &order and comander and chef it wonderful amd moveingin the heart and it show what some of r problems in gods words Perfection it's staory more about a famelys problems than the chuch with i like going to church its more a about problems'love'heart'soul'overcomeing defect'and exceptance this show stands out like deperate house wife funny and drama like law &order and comander and chef it wonderful amd moveingin the heart and it show what some of r problems and what it does to r life and this show could be life changeing watch and u will love till it makes u stay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand
  64. beng
    Jan 24, 2006
    Not too bad. Its interesting, but the characters, and this is really hard to describe, seem somehow based on a MADE-UP stereotype. They all seem totally one sided.
  65. Marha
    Jan 25, 2006
    So fresh and different yet it is SO real!
  66. MarthaR
    Jan 21, 2007
    Refreshing - crazy like life - I should know - I'm a Bishop's daughter!

1. A well-intentioned drama with a few comedic quirks but without depth or greater purpose.
    The cast is heavenly in The Book of Daniel; the writing isn't.
  3. Reviewed by: James Poniewozik
    You may feel the faith-and-family themes could be handled better on cable--mainly because they have been.